more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View from South Texas -- Fulham FC v. Reading

Started by HatterDon, May 04, 2013, 07:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Fortress Fulham is No More

Today, Fulham played the least talented side in the Premier League and lost to them 2-4. Questionable team selection, early lethargy, late disorganization, and the abject failure of fan favorite players to play well all contributed to Reading winning only its second road match of the season, and its first three points anywhere in at least three months.

Fulham began brightly with Damien Duff giving Reading LB Stephen Kelly a quick lesson in how to play out of position. Twice within the first 90 seconds, Duff mastered the Reading left side and, on the second occasion, whipped in a cross that Bryan Ruiz met with a hard volley. It was well saved by Reading's 23 year old Irish keeper McCarthy – a continuing theme throughout the day. Immediately after, Jol had Duff swap wings with Emanuelson and Fulham's early pressure was relieved.

For the next 10 minutes or so, Fulham did their best imitation of 11 guys strolling around on a green expanse with little or no understanding why. At that point John Arne Riise attempted a routine clearance which, instead, only cleared the ankle of Hal Robson-Kanu. Robson-Kanu – who we've been told repeatedly is not good enough to play for Fulham – coolly converted as Reading assumed a lead it would never relinquish. Fulham seemed content with that lead and continued to loll around in the almost summer almost sunshine.

Until Martin Jol made a significant change in the 26th minute, that is. On came Hugo Rodallega at the expense of Giorgos Karagounis, who had been doing a fine imitation of a statue on loan from the Parthenon. Immediately, Fulham began to gel and, for the rest of the half showed their superiority in both talent and tactical nous. Unfortunately, Reading was the only side to have come out of the dressing room and were soon bossing the ball. In the 62nd minute, Robson-Kanu scored again.

And then the match became fun to watch – for a neutral observer. Fulham gained control and Ruiz scored to reduce the deficit to 1-2. Then substitute Adam Le Fondre made it 1-3. Some superb attacking play by Fulham resulted in a sweet cross from the right by substitute Alex Kacaniklic that resulted in a headed [?] goal by Fulham's Costa Rican barely two minutes later. At this point, it was 2-3 and Fulham looked the side most likely. There were a few chances by each side before Rodallega nearly shattered the crossbar with as clean a connection as you'll see in a long time.

The game was in the balance when Brede Hangeland nodded the ball to Reading midfielder Jem Karacan, who immediately slotted home his first ever Premier League goal. Some more excitement followed, but that was that. Fulham demonstrated once again that they can be easily unsettled by teams that press on defense and attack wide ... even teams as weak as Reading ... even at the Cottage.

And now the inevitable comments. I thought that the match day squad was a bit strange. Special K had played Fulham's best football at Everton but was relegated to the bench. Kerim Frei didn't even make the bench. Whatever Jol was thinking at the time was a mystery, but it must be said that the substitutions of Rodallega and Kacaniklic contributed mightily to Fulham's attack.

As for the players, thank you very much Mr. Emanuelson. I sincerely hope we don't see you in a Fulham kit again. Mr. Enoh, today's performance made me wish not only for Emmanuel Frimpong, but also for Dickson Etuhu. Mr. Karagounis, feel free to start your summer holidays Sunday morning. And, Mr. Schwarzer? Well, you deserve your own paragraph.

On the day when Fulham's on loan keeper David Stockdale saw his now [and future?] club Hull promoted to the Premier League, Tha Big Aussie showed us all why Stockers should have  been Fulham's #1 all season. Not content with just distributing poorly and slowing down our counter-attacks – something we've seen all this season, and most of last – Schwarzer showed no positioning sense, collided with his own players, flapped his arms for no apparent reason more than even Dimitar Berbatov, and unsettled his back four to the point where mistakes were inevitable. There's no way to sugar coat it from my point of view. Schwarzer was god awful today, and the lack of quality in his performance was highlighted by the calm, sure performance of the opposing goalkeeper in his first top-flight season at nearly half our Australian's age.

On the bright side, I think we saw what Hugo Rodallega can do when paired with Berbatov today. He was great. He laid off the ball well, ran into and created space, passed accurately and wasn't afraid to take a crack at goal. He could easily have had three goals today. Once the disappearance of Karagounis allowed Ruiz to take up the attacking center mid role, he performed well. He was much more of an attacking presence in this position than he has been most of the season playing just off Berbatov's shoulder. And, to be fair, Jol's substitutions and tactical adjustments made the match more entertaining and close. Because, face it, any Premier League side whose best striker is NOT Pavel Pogrebnyak would have toasted us today.

That's all I'm going to say positive about our gaffer, though. Regardless of what we do against Liverpool next week, we have lost more matches at the Cottage this season than at any time since we began a season with Lawrie Sanchez as our manager. We're still abysmal at erasing leads, and – after two full seasons – I still can't figure out what Martin Jol's preferred playing style is. One thing is for certain: the days of Fortress Fulham are over. Our "hard to beat at home" performances that have kept us in the Prem are becoming a faint memory. While some believe that this is all down to the presence of Philippe Senderos on the pitch, some of us believe that the boss has to take some responsibility somewhere.

So, we're now 12th, and I expect that victories by AstonVilla and Wigan are going to make some folks even more concerned that Fulham aren't safe on 40 points. I still firmly believe that no team will be relegated with as many as 39 points. If there's anyone around to challenge Wigan for 18th, it's certainly Newcastle, Sunderland, or Norwich.

Finally, I don't usually award a Man of the Match when we lose by two goals at home, but I'm going to make an exception for Hugo Rodallega. He had a hell of a match today and almost turned Fulham around enough to gain points.

COYW
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

b+w geezer

You're less harsh in general than I'd have been, but are the first I've spotted online to give Schwarzer the writeup I also suspected he deserved. I say `suspected' because I was watching at a distance from the Putney End, and so was wondering if I had been over-estimating his second-half woefulness. Seems I hadn't.

Azeedo

I disagree man of the match for the guy that can't score to save his life....

timmyg

After today, half the lineup just played themselves off the club this summer.

Wait, let me rephrase that:

After the past month, half the lineup just played themselves off the club this summer.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

mangoputney

Quote from: timmyg on May 04, 2013, 10:59:39 PM
After today, half the lineup just played themselves off the club this summer.

Wait, let me rephrase that:

After the past month, half the lineup just played themselves off the club this summer.

+1
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

Jimbobob

HD:
Thanks for the the "View" today as I was at a convention and was just reading the game-cast as I could.
When we were down 1 so early I knew it was over but to lose as badly as we did is just beyond inexcusable.
My questions is and has been for most of this season...WHY? WHY so poor - no fight no plan no passion no organization no identity - nothing!
The WHY is driving me insane!!! Are we sure we will not be relegated at this rate???
Do we mathematically have the points? For you who are paying the gate you must be furious!!!
I am just dumb founded and befuddled by this bunch and this manager....just pathetic! fp.gif fp.gif fp.gif
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

CanadianCottager

Great write-up as always Don, Rodallega firmly deserves the Man of the Match, really injected some life into the attack, something which the clay-pigeon shooter was very lacking in today. I'd like to see him get a start along with Bryan at some point...

HatterDon

Quote from: Jimbobob on May 05, 2013, 01:47:57 AM
HD:
Thanks for the the "View" today as I was at a convention and was just reading the game-cast as I could.
When we were down 1 so early I knew it was over but to lose as badly as we did is just beyond inexcusable.
My questions is and has been for most of this season...WHY? WHY so poor - no fight no plan no passion no organization no identity - nothing!
The WHY is driving me insane!!! Are we sure we will not be relegated at this rate???
Do we mathematically have the points? For you who are paying the gate you must be furious!!!
I am just dumb founded and befuddled by this bunch and this manager....just pathetic! fp.gif fp.gif fp.gif

Nice to see you. It's been a while.

Oh, and you have the best avatar EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LBNo11

...as ever a well written piece, certainly more interesting to read about the game than being subjected to the dire reality...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

jarv

Thanks Don. I did not see the game and was hoping it was not as bad as people on here were saying. I guess it was. Seriously, i did not want Jol or like him at the start. The last 2 months has shown he should be shown the door but as I said in another thread, it would probably cause more problems than it solves at this stage.

BIG problems ahead.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

May I just ask, what's your problem with Eyong Enoh?

I felt he was one of our better players, actually looking for the ball in midfield and seemed to be one of the few wanting to get something from the game. He's not a Ruiz and won't create chances, that's not in his armoury, but in terms of winning the ball and recycling play, he's one of the best I've seen at Fulham. I would however like to see someone more comfortable with the ball and more forward thinking next to him. This is why I'd play virtually the same team that finished the game to start against Liverpool.

------------Schwarzer
Riether Senderos Hangeland Richardson
----------Enoh-----Ruiz-----------
Mesca-------Berbatov------Kacaniklic
------------Rodallega-----------------

Mesca and Kaca will actually look to beat their man and get some positivity and width into our attacks. Ruiz, as said above, will act as a more advanced central midfielder and acting as the link between defence and attack, Enoh would cover if Ruiz caught out going forward. Berbatov starts because he's pure class and with all of the pace around him, he just has to glue it all together. Rodallega was superb when he came on, his heart and mind is in the right place but perhaps sometimes struggles to execute things because he's not that great, but a useful addition for stretching the back four.

I'd keep Senderos in purely for his ball playing skills.

Travers Barney

Good effort Hatter Don always enjoy your scripts.

Rod earned your MOM accolade.

For me though you do need to revisit your inflated opinion of the Swedish winger.

coyw
We are the whites

JackyFulham90

....................Schwarzer............

....................Enoh.........Ruiz............

Emanuelson...........Berbatov.........Kacaniklic

.............................Rodallega............

One thing for sure this will be a busy summer at the cottage, Rodallega & Kaca have to start Sunday

Riverside

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on May 06, 2013, 10:40:09 AM
....................Schwarzer............

....................Enoh.........Ruiz............

Emanuelson...........Berbatov.........Kacaniklic

.............................Rodallega............

One thing for sure this will be a busy summer at the cottage, Rodallega & Kaca have to start Sunday

Start Hugo yes . The Berba Ruiz combo is too slow .
But not Ruiz and CM please.
Did you not see the game or the season?
He cannot hold the ball or defend ?
What he can do is attack And create . The further forward the better .
The more pace around him the better .