Admin

Quote from: wonderfulthingFFC on September 20, 2013, 06:20:00 PM
Quote from: Admin on September 20, 2013, 05:19:19 PM
Quote from: akf on September 20, 2013, 04:45:54 PM
Quote from: wonderfulthingFFC on September 20, 2013, 04:12:16 PM
Quote from: Admin on September 20, 2013, 01:57:05 PM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on September 20, 2013, 01:40:44 PM
Sounds like censorship to me.

Not at all, we're not "censoring" anyone. If you think that removing disruptive comments like "JOL OUT" from within perfectly good posts is censorship, then I think you may want to look the word up again and read a bit more about it. These type of comments are aimed at disrupting posts, or simply mocking the original poster about his/her opinion causing arguments. I'm big on members having opinions, in fact, I'm really big on it and want to encourage "healthy" discussions where at the moment, 9/10 post are being hijacked with some type anti-Jol vile.       
That is censoring...it is what happened in the East before 1989, mail was intercepted and doctored. the meaning of the word censor is to stop someone saying what they had originally written. Why worry if someones position is that they want Jol out? are you worried the club may not like it?

I dont think admin is suggesting that moderators will replace a 'JOL OUT!!!' comment with 'VIVA JOL!!!'  The sentiment is more to keep 'Jol out' statements/rants to appropriate threads.

At last, thank you akf.
I don't agree...but hey that's what freedom of speech is about

Of course you won't, why would you? It's got sod all to do with freedom of speech, but down to the fact you're just one of those posters who will just argue the toss with pretty much everything. 

RidgeRider

Not at all, we're not "censoring" anyone. If you think that removing disruptive comments like "JOL OUT" from within perfectly good posts is censorship, then I think you may want to look the word up again and read a bit more about it. These type of comments are aimed at disrupting posts, or simply mocking the original poster about his/her opinion causing arguments. I'm big on members having opinions, in fact, I'm really big on it and want to encourage "healthy" discussions where at the moment, 9/10 post are being hijacked with some type anti-Jol vile.       
That is censoring...it is what happened in the East before 1989, mail was intercepted and doctored. the meaning of the word censor is to stop someone saying what they had originally written. Why worry if someones position is that they want Jol out? are you worried the club may not like it?

I dont think admin is suggesting that moderators will replace a 'JOL OUT!!!' comment with 'VIVA JOL!!!'  The sentiment is more to keep 'Jol out' statements/rants to appropriate threads.

At last, thank you akf.

Not to be too harsh on just you but for those who feel the same. You don't get a guarantee of free speech on here. I routinely remove or edit posts with swear words or mocking behavior. Please read the rules posted above. This is a private club and we get to decide what's what for the good of the whole. If it bugs you, there are other forums where you can say whatever you want. We believe in civility, and when that is not adhered to an extent we believe is detrimental, we will let you know about it, and if need be, we will throw you out of the pub when deemed necessary. Those are the rules of civility.

wonderfulthingFFC

Quote from: RidgeRider on September 20, 2013, 08:12:11 PM

At last, thank you akf.

Not to be too harsh on just you but for those who feel the same. You don't get a guarantee of free speech on here. I routinely remove or edit posts with swear words or mocking behavior. Please read the rules posted above. This is a private club and we get to decide what's what for the good of the whole. If it bugs you, there are other forums where you can say whatever you want. We believe in civility, and when that is not adhered to an extent we believe is detrimental, we will let you know about it, and if need be, we will throw you out of the pub when deemed necessary. Those are the rules of civility.
Wow, that seems pretty threatening....I thought I had joined a friendly "forum"

RidgeRider

Quote from: wonderfulthingFFC on September 20, 2013, 08:36:01 PM

At last, thank you akf.

Not threatening at all. You're clearly not up on the rules, so I wanted you to be aware of what they are. You can choose on your own whether that works for you or not. It was your choice to throw out the "freedom of speech" plea, I am merely letting you know, you have limitations on here and you can say what you want as long as its civil and adheres to the rules. Thats pretty much how life is everywhere.

wonderfulthingFFC

Quote from: RidgeRider on September 20, 2013, 08:51:51 PM

At last, thank you akf.

Not threatening at all. You're clearly not up on the rules, so I wanted you to be aware of what they are. You can choose on your own whether that works for you or not. It was your choice to throw out the "freedom of speech" plea, I am merely letting you know, you have limitations on here and you can say what you want as long as its civil and adheres to the rules. Thats pretty much how life is everywhere.
I didn't send out a plea....I merely mentioned freedom of speech in relation to censorship. Altering an individuals word is censorship....however you like to pretty it up and justify it.

I understand I made the choice to join the forum, I am simply pointing out that I thought it was friendly....I may not think that now. And yes it is my choice to stay or not.

I wasn't aware that someone saying "Jol out" was uncivil. Just reeks of cronyism to me .....hey ho

Admin

Quote from: wonderfulthingFFC on September 20, 2013, 08:56:17 PM

At last, thank you akf.

I didn't send out a plea....I merely mentioned freedom of speech in relation to censorship. Altering an individuals word is censorship....however you like to pretty it up and justify it.

I understand I made the choice to join the forum, I am simply pointing out that I thought it was friendly....I may not think that now. And yes it is my choice to stay or not.

I wasn't aware that someone saying "Jol out" was uncivil. Just reeks of cronyism to me .....hey ho

You're now arguing the toss with a moderator, and going out of your way to disrupt this thread, regardless of how you butter it up about "Freedom of speech". You've said your bit, so my advice is to leave it now before this turns into the wonderfulthingFFC show.

HatterDon

Here's the thing: censorship is a problem only if governments do it. When publications exempt certain content from what they publish, they are exercising editorial control NOT censorship.

Admin and the Mods [the name of my next band, dammit] have the function of maintaining the standards of editorial content. I don't have the slightest bit of a problem with that. This is a very well-regulated and transparent site. I have been on other sites where those who agree with "the establishment" can pretty much say anything they like without fear or response, while minority opinions are routinely challenged as "inappropriate."

I haven't seen that here ... and neither have you. This site is often several hundred yards from my cup of tea, but that's okay because I don't ever believe it was created specifically for me.

Thanks, Admin; thanks Mods.

The rest of you: move along; there's nothing to see here.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

wonderfulthingFFC

Quote from: Admin on September 20, 2013, 09:30:14 PM

At last, thank you akf.

You're now arguing the toss with a moderator, and going out of your way to disrupt this thread, regardless of how you butter it up about "Freedom of speech". You've said your bit, so my advice is to leave it now before this turns into the wonderfulthingFFC show.
Now I am not able to debate the point with you, because you are a moderator? I can only debate with certain people? mI am not arguing the toss, I am having a point of view.

sacffc

This isn't about censorship, because nobody is prevented from expressing their point of view.  This is about posters who become annoying by making the same point repeatedly, and hijacking thread after thread to make that point.  We heard you, now if you don't have anything new to say, please don't say it.
My music blog:  If you just Stand There and Play, is it worth listening to?

Logicalman

OK, let me put it plainly to you, as you obviously have some issue with Censorship and Freedom of Speech, and I don't think anyone is talking about altering what you say at all.

If a thread is a discussion/debate as to whether Jol should be sacked or whether he's doing a great job, then for you to post your thoughts on that subject, is welcomed, and the only 'censorship' would be if you used sear words, threatening or abusive language towards another member, or any other items that are specified in the guidelines for posting (http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=24809.0).

Now, if the thread was, say, about the Jackson statue being removed, then posting a comments concerning whether Jol should stay or go would not be within the accepted remit of the discussion, and therefore would be removed.

Therefore, freedom of speech is preserved by the fact that you can post anything pertinent to a discussion on the relevant thread, and if there is not a thread that deals with what you wish to say, you have the freedom of speech and from censorship to create your own thread.

It's really as simply as that.

If you don't like the limits placed on you for posting, that is accepted by all members when they sign up and are accepted as members, then you are on the wrong board, or you must have misread/misunderstood the rules concerning posting, either way, you have the freedom to choose to stay, or leave, your choice.

If you need any further clarification, you are welcome to contact any Mod via PM or Email, and one or more will be willing to discuss your issues with the FoF MB. There is always a but though, and here it is. If you wish to keep arguing the toss on this thread, then you might not be posting here much longer, that is not a threat, its a warning.

Can I make the scenario any clearer to you? If so, please PM me and let me know and I will try and spell it out a little better so you can be provided the service you deserve and need.

Thanks,

LM

Me-ate-Live, innit??

I love Martin Jol and Martin Jol loves me
How I wish he shuts his gob
and gets on with his job

Oh s$it er...... bu$$er wrong thread

Berserker

'he'd shut',  'just get' would sound better,  snigger ;-)
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: Logicalman on September 21, 2013, 06:24:13 AM

OK, let me put it plainly to you, as you obviously have some issue with Censorship and Freedom of Speech, and I don't think anyone is talking about altering what you say at all.

If a thread is a discussion/debate as to whether Jol should be sacked or whether he's doing a great job, then for you to post your thoughts on that subject, is welcomed, and the only 'censorship' would be if you used sear words, threatening or abusive language towards another member, or any other items that are specified in the guidelines for posting (http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=24809.0).

Now, if the thread was, say, about the Jackson statue being removed, then posting a comments concerning whether Jol should stay or go would not be within the accepted remit of the discussion, and therefore would be removed.

Therefore, freedom of speech is preserved by the fact that you can post anything pertinent to a discussion on the relevant thread, and if there is not a thread that deals with what you wish to say, you have the freedom of speech and from censorship to create your own thread.

It's really as simply as that.

If you don't like the limits placed on you for posting, that is accepted by all members when they sign up and are accepted as members, then you are on the wrong board, or you must have misread/misunderstood the rules concerning posting, either way, you have the freedom to choose to stay, or leave, your choice.

If you need any further clarification, you are welcome to contact any Mod via PM or Email, and one or more will be willing to discuss your issues with the FoF MB. There is always a but though, and here it is. If you wish to keep arguing the toss on this thread, then you might not be posting here much longer, that is not a threat, its a warning.

Can I make the scenario any clearer to you? If so, please PM me and let me know and I will try and spell it out a little better so you can be provided the service you deserve and need.

Thanks,

LM

I have to say this thread has been worth it. The Mods took a decision on what to do with regard to language and the hijacking of posts. Certain members raised opinions  (including me) about how that would work and now we have, in my opinion. An answer that explains how threads will be dealt with. Whilst preserving the rights of members to air their opinions in a manor that is respectful of the views of others. Whether or not the original post was clear enough or members didn't understand or wanted clarification of the thinking behind it. Debating the subject seems to have worked.  

epsomraver

A lot of the hype from this post from admin could have been avoided if the title dropped the "Anti" , it gives the impression that it is the anti Jol people who are at fault, I know this is not Scott's intention as he has made his feelings quite clear regarding our manager.just a thought

Alan

Fair play. Also, you've given the warning, so surely nobody can argue about that, either...
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

The Bronsons

I can see where Logicalman gets his name from. Utterly clear, fair and logical post. And a savoury whiff of sarcasm in the last paragraph.  :54: