more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (06/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 06, 2013, 07:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jol wants Fulham improvement despite Stoke win

The Dutchman admitted his side had been "a bit lucky" to beat Stoke at Craven Cottage but was happy to pick up three points after coming under pressure after a poor start

Fulham manager Martin Jol was pleased with Saturday's 1-0 home win over Stoke City, but admitted his side still have areas to work on.

Darren Bent came off the bench to score the winner seven minutes from time and hand Fulham their first Premier League win since the opening day of the season.

After the game, Jol admitted it was a crucial result after five league matches without a win.

"We have the three points and that's what we needed," he told reporters.

"Relieved is probably not the word, you need results and you need to be without pressure because any team under pressure will perform not as well as they are capable."

Jol conceded Fulham rode their luck at times and that there were aspects of his side's game that did not please him.

"We were a bit lucky because they had two clear headers from set-pieces," he said.

"You work on that the whole week and still they have two clear headers and that's where we have to do better, so in hindsight everything is good, but not for me."

The Dutchman had come in for some criticism from Fulham fans following last week's 2-1 home defeat to Cardiff City, but he accepts that such pressure is part of the job.

"Of course it's normal that you get pressure but it's not what you want," he said.

"A lot of teams who are in the bottom half of the table are under pressure and hopefully we'll get out of that position.

"Pressure is if you're vulnerable and your life will change big time, but my life won't change big time, I want to be here with my players because most of the players are here because of me so I want to help them to get better."

Fulham climbed out of the drop zone with the win and Jol urged the fans to show patience at this early stage of the season.

"Clubs like Fulham have to be patient," he said.

"It's not a new situation for our fans, I want to make them happy with better football and being in control, but we shouldn't get carried away with unbelievable positions.

"We want to be top 10 but it will be a big struggle for us to get out of this situation, but the mentality of my players will do that and get us to where we should be."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/10/05/4313512/-?

WhiteJC

Jol eager to bring in Meulensteen
by DAN on OCTOBER 6, 2013

The Sunday People claims that Fulham could appoint former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen as a member of Martin Jol's coaching team within 48 hours after the Fulham boss made it clear that he wants his compatriot to join the backroom staff at Craven Cottage.

Jol has told the Fulham board that he wants Meulensteen to bolster his coaching staff and talks are planned between the manager and new Fulham chairman Shahid Khan. Writing in tomorrow's paper, Dean Jones claims that the Fulham board believe Meulensteen's experience and coaching methods can help the club more forward and are prepared to support Jol, whose side earned a priceless win over Stoke City yesterday afternoon.

Meulensteen, now 49, began his coaching career whilst he was still playing for NEC Nijmegen, as he coached the youth team. Meuleusteen moved to Manchester United in 2007, becoming the club's skills and technical development coach, before being promoted to first coach after Carlos Queiroz left Old Trafford to take charge of the Portuguese national side. United won three Premier League titles, two League Cups and a Champions' League during Meulensteen's time at the club, which ended when David Moyes decided to bring in his own coaching team.

Meulensteen moved to Anzi Makhachkala as assistant coach to Guus Hiddink in July 2013 and succeeded the former Chelsea manager as the club's head coach when Hiddink left after just two league games. His tenure at the helm was brief, however, and Meulensteen was relieved of his duties after just sixteen days, with owner Suleiman Kerimov seeking to scale bank his investment in the club. Meulensteen has also been linked with the current managerial vacancy at Sunderland, but is believed to be interested in working with Jol at Craven Cottage.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/10/jol-eager-to-bring-in-meulensteen/?

WhiteJC

Derek Boateng silences critics with impressive showing in his second Fulham appearance

Derek Boateng silenced his critics on Saturday with an impressive showing for Fulham in his second outing since joining the English Premier club in the summer.

The Ghana international was a second-half substitute for the Cottagers as they run out 1-0 winners over Stoke but his performance when he came on delighted his fans.

Boateng took over from Karagounis in the 60th minute and his hardworking performance and passing ability will assure coach Martin Jol of the Ghanaian's potential.

The midfielder started in the opening day win at Sunderland and was substituted, but had not played since that match which sparked fears for his future at Fulham.

The Ghanaian was not even amongst the substitutes in some of the matches in the wake of his first appearance in the Premier League.

Coach Jol piled pressure on the summer signing last week when he said Boateng missing out for Fulham because of his lack of versatility.

The Ghana midfielder joined on a free transfer after FIFA approved his exit from Ukrainian club Dnipro.

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/derek-boateng-silences-critics-impressive-showing-second-fulham-appearance/?

WhiteJC

Bent eases the pressure on Jol

Fulham 1 Stoke 0

Fulham's Darren Bent smiles as he leaves the pitch after the final whistle.
Jonathan Brady/PA Wire.

Fulham manager Martin Jol acknowledged that this victory was not the most comfortable, but felt it was "unbelievably important" ahead of the international break.

Having failed to win since the opening day of the season, the Dutchman's position at the helm was looking fragile. It had looked like their miserable run would continue as they stuttered against Stoke, but on-loan striker Darren Bent repaid Jol's faith with a late goal after coming off the bench to replace the injured Dimitar Berbatov.

"You need results and you need to be in a good position. You need to be without pressure because any team under pressure won't perform as good as they are capable of. You saw that again today," said Jol.

"We were a bit lucky because Stoke, while they didn't create a lot of chances, Robert Huth had clear headers from set-pieces. You work on that the whole week, but they still get the clear headers. We need to do better. We have conceded a lot of goals through set-pieces.

"So everything is good, but not for me. We have to improve on a lot of things but I am still a happy customer to get three points as that is what we needed.

"It was unbelievably important because I can come up with all the stories and excuses and say that we have got a good spirit and that they are behind each other and me.

"It was great to have somebody like Darren Bent on the bench. He could have scored two."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/bent-eases-the-pressure-on-jol-29637671.html

WhiteJC

Bent: More To Come

Match-winner Darren Bent insists Fulham will continue to improve after the confidence-boosting win over Stoke.

Darren Bent's Stoke Reaction

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/06/bent-reaction?

WhiteJC

Keeping Tabs On............

According to one Sunday tabloid, Martin Jol is keeping an eye on the developing career of the Ipswich Town left-back Aaron Cresswell.

It`s suggested that with left-back being something of a problematic position at the moment, Creswell could be the subject of a January transfer window bid.

However, it should be pointed out that Cresswell is also being monitored by several other clubs including Southampton and West Bromwich Albion.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=334796#ixzz2gxzTgK00

WhiteJC

Is Meulensteen Coming?

It appears that Jol certainly wants him on board.

The latest inference being peddled by the media is that the board are considering Jol`s request to bring the Dutchman on board and that Jol is waiting to be given the okay.

Is it me or does everybody else think this one has dragged on and on!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=334799#ixzz2gxziwP5v

WhiteJC

Stoke fans already growing impatient with Mark Hughes after Fulham defeat

It's been a tough few weeks for Mark Hughes – ever since the September international break, actually.

A return to a former club usually results in a goal if you're a player and a win for a manager.

No such luck at Fulham, though.

Hughes' return to the Craven Cottage is one he's not likely to remember for long, although the match followed a familiar pattern.

Last season I criticised Swansea City, and the year before I criticised West Brom. They both played pretty carpet football, possession football, but missing out on one crucial element – putting the ball in the net.

This season, it seems we have become the same sort of team.

There are too many fans who think that pretty football, holding possession and passing the ball around, is the way to win matches.

That's all well and good, of course, but we don't have a player who can put the ball in the net.

Six weeks into the season is hardly crisis point, but we're now averaging one goal every two games.

Just think about that. If that form continues, we'll score 19 goals come the end of the season.

That form won't continue; there's bound to be a point where we score two or three goals in a single game.

In the past when we've struggled, we've wondered where a goal will come from due to lack of supply – now we're wondering who can actually put the ball in the net, as we create plenty of chances.

Hughes can now sit back and re-evaluate, but not relax, as we head into a two-week break.

Our next fixture is incidentally against West Brom – a team we typically do well against.

It's important we score three points in that game; not only will that give us some much needed confidence heading into November, but it'll also put an end to a three-match losing run – something that happened three times last year under Tony Pulis.

It might be early in the season, but the knives are out for Hughes amongst the more impatient fans at the Britannia Stadium. He needs to put things right, soon.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/06/stoke-fans-already-growing-impatient-with-mark-hughes-after-fulham-defeat-4135623/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss vows to get Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent firing together

Fulham's Darren Bent scores against Stoke.
Photo: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

Fulham manager Martin Jol has pledged to get Darren Bent back to his best after a confidence-sapping year and develop a strike partnership with Dimitar Berbatov.

The 29-year-old arrived at Aston Villa in January 2011 to much fanfare, joining in an £18million deal that could have reached as high as £24million.

However, after impressing under Gerard Houllier and Alex McLeish, Bent dropped down the pecking order under Paul Lambert.

Unwanted at Villa Park, he penned a season-long loan deal with Fulham this summer and on Saturday repaid Jol's faith by scoring the winnerin the 1-0 victory against Stoke.

It was Bent's third of the season and Jol has pledged to get him firing on all cylinders again, believing he can play in tandem with Dimitar Berbatov.

"They always have a good season if they are with me and Darren Bent will have a good season," the Whites boss said.

"The only thing is if you don't start him he could fall back in the same mood.

"But I spoke to him a couple of times, I spoke to him on Friday and he knows what my intentions are and that we want to build up scenarios for games like we did.

"Sometimes he can't start, but my intentions are still to use Darren Bent and to get the best out of Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent together.

"That is not easy because you need time to work on that system."

Bent's impact after coming off the bench against Stoke looks to have secured Jol's position at the helm.

Now, having ended a five-match winless streak, the Dutchman wants to give the fans something to smile about after a rough start.

"I think if you are a club like Fulham you have to be patient," he said.

"Somebody told me before the game that three years ago, with Mark Hughes, at the start of the season they had six points out of eight games.

"It is not a new situation for our fans. I want to make them happy with better football, being in control, but we shouldn't get carried away sometimes with unbelievable positions.

"Last year we were number one in the league at one stage and they thought we would be in the top four.

"We want to be in the top 10, but it won't be a big struggle for us to get out of that situation.

"The mentality of my players will probably do that, to get better and be where we should be."

While delighted with the win, Jol conceded his side need to play much better than they did against Stoke who dominated for large parts of the game.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_vows_to_get_dimitar_berbatov_and_darren_bent_firing_together_1_2852071

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: Fulham offer Meulensteen coaching role as former United man looks to return to football

Fulham have made Rene Meulensteen an offer to join the club's coaching team.

The former Manchester United coach has been out of work since his departure from Anzhi Makhachkala.

But Sportsmail understands the Dutchman has been offered a route back to the Premier League by the Craven Cottage club, which would see him form part of Martin Jol's staff.

Premier League return? Rene Meulensteen was an important figure at Manchester United under Sir Alex Ferguson

Meulensteen met Fulham chiefs for dinner towards the back end of September and the highly-respected coach impressed during talks.

Discussions over a move for Sir Alex Ferguson's right-hand man have progressed steadily over recent days, culminating in Fulham's offer.

Meulensteen will mull over the offer during the next 48 hours before deciding whether to join the West London club, but Fulham are said to be hopeful of a positive conclusion.

Respected figure: Meulensteen was highly rated by Sir Alex Ferguson

Under pressure: Fulham's Martin Jol has experienced a difficult start to the season

The coach is understood to have a number of coaching opportunities in the United Arab Emirates, which are believed to be more lucrative than Fulham's offer.

But Meulensteen is said to be keen on a return to England.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2446628/Fulham-offer-Rene-Meulensteen-coaching-role-ex-Manchester-United-man-looks-Premier-League-return.html#ixzz2gy11Xn2i
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Hughton under pressure but Pardew and Jol still on the brink
Difficult fixtures ahead for Newcastle, while Fulham win does little to mask poor displays

A Loic Remy double was enough to secure Newcastle a vital three points against Cardiff seemingly easing the pressure on their under-fire manager Alan Pardew.

However, despite a crucial three points in Wales the difficulty of the Magpies' upcoming fixtures means that the former West Ham gaffer is still teetering on the edge.

The Toon Army face Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and Tottenham, as well as a trip to take-on arch rivals Sunderland in their next five fixtures.

It is perfectly feasible that Pardew's side fail to take anything from those matches.  The difficulty of those games, paired with the looming figure of Joe Kinnear explains the 2/1 available on the 52-year-old to be the next manager out of the exit door.

The relief on Martin Jol's face was there for all to see as Darren Bent kept a cool head to slide home against Stoke at Craven Cottage.

That victory was their first in six Premier League outings and first in eight on their own patch.

It is no surprise then that the locals are getting restless by the Thames and there was little to suggest that is likely to change in their showing against the Potters.

Mark Hughes' side had the better of the game, having 56 per cent possession and spurning numerous chances in front of goal. Indeed on another day the Cottagers would have been staring at another defeat.

The next two league ties will be pivotal in Jol's tenure, with trips to Crystal Palace and Southampton to follow the international break. Failure to take at least three points from these clashes is sure to see the shortening of the Evens about Jol being the next Premier League boss out the door.

Another manager under increasing pressure is Norwich's Chris Hughton, who is 6/1 to be the next man handed his P45.

The Canaries boss saw his team lose their second successive league game at Carrow Road, as Chelsea ran out 3-1 victors, leaving the East Anglian club perching just above the relegation zone.

There is a feeling in Norfolk that seven points is a weak return for the £25m or so spent this summer and with Arsenal and Man City to come in their next three matches, Hughton will be feeling the heat.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/hughton-under-pressure-but-pardew-and-jol-still-men-on-the-brink_174034.html

WhiteJC

Meulensteen Offered Fulham Coaching Role

Former Manchester United assistant manager Rene Meulensteen has been offered a place on Fulham's coaching staff.

The Daily Mail report that Meulensteen met with Fulham chiefs to finalise the deal that would see him work alongside Martin Jol as they hope to build momentum after winning their second game of the season against Stoke City on Saturday.

Meulensteen has been linked with the vacant Sunderland job as well as the Fulham job, although Jol seems to have held off any talks of being sacked with their vital win this weekend.

The article suggest Meulensteen has been given two days to think the move over before giving Fulham his answer on Tuesday.

Meulensteen could reject the offer, however, having thought to have been given several lucrative coaching roles in the United Arab Emirates.

Fulham will hope the lure of the Premier League will be enough for him to return, having had a short period away from England at Anzhi Makhachkala, although that lasted just 16 days.

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/meulensteen-offered-fulham-coaching-role-28483/?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Martin Jol still bent on keeping job after defeat of Stoke
• Martin Jol to meet Fulham's owner Shahid Khan this month
• Stoke reconstruction ahead of schedule, claims Mark Hughes

Martin Jol says he is not afraid of losing his job. He could cope. It is losing the faith of his players that worries him. This precious victory over Stoke City ended a five-game winless streak in the league and silenced the fans who had been calling for the Dutchman to be dismissed, but Fulham remain precariously placed and the manager knows they must improve.

Jol also knows that only more wins will enable him to retain the trust of the players whom he persuaded to join the club such as Dimitar Berbatov, who was tempted from Manchester United at the start of last season with a promise that Fulham would not linger at the bottom.

"I don't want Berbatov to think we are a club who could go down," he said. "That was something he asked me [before signing]. He said: 'Boss, we're not going to go down, are we?' I said: 'Of course we're not going to go down.' And now we are in this position, so sometimes he will still think of that conversation. I want the players to do well because it would be awful for them to not be in the Premier League. But it's early days. We have to improve a lot of things but with the quality we've got I think we are capable of doing it."

Darren Bent is another established top-flight performer whom Jol signed, and the manager felt the need to reassure him too. The striker has started only three of the club's seven league matches, partially because of fitness problems, and is eager not to find himself as peripheral to the first team as he was at Aston Villa last season. Jol met him on Friday to explain that while Bent is not guaranteed to start, the club are counting on him to score a large share of goals. He appeared buoyed by that backing when he replaced the injured Berbatov in the second half and duly struck an excellent winning goal, his third of the season.

"Of course when I spoke to him I had to tell him a few nice things," said Jol. "I said it would be awful if I don't use him in a proper way and he will be a good part. And he has been a good part because he's our top scorer."

Jol could have an even more significant conversation at the end of the month when the Fulham owner, Shahid Khan, arrives in London with his NFL team, the Jacksonville Jaguars, and will take the opportunity to run the rule over his football club.

The manager is not sure what to expect from his employer – the matches against Southampton and Crystal Palace before then may help determine the tone of any talks – but he hopes to be given the backing to bring his "great plans" to fruition.

"I haven't spoken to Khan," he said. "It's not up to me. I have great plans for the club and if I can do that, fine. And it's fine for them as well because I think when I came here they were quite happy and lucky to get me. I was used to good clubs and I want to make Fulham a good club. So I will listen to them. I don't know what their intentions are but if they want to work with me, then I'm fine."

Mark Hughes also has big plans for Stoke and the early stages of their application have been positive – they dominated Fulham for long periods before Bent struck – but they do not have any more points than Fulham because they suffer from an inability to convert possession into goals. They have scored only four in seven league games but Hughes believes they will soon sort that out.

"We're probably ahead in terms of performance than where I thought we would be. We just need to produce that final pass and make sure we have that end-product."

Man of the match: Sascha Riether (Fulham)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/06/fulham-stoke-city-premier-league

WhiteJC

Darren Bent gave Fulham three points but Khan he keep Martin Jol in a job?

Fulham owner Shahid Kahn has been silent during speculation over Martin Jol's job, but Darren Bent's winner speaks volumes for now

A Jolly dance for Martin: Darren Bent bagged three points for Fulham against Stoke
Paul Gilham

It could have been so different had Darren Bent chosen Mark Hughes in the summer over Martin Jol.

The Stoke boss moved first for the Aston Villa striker in the transfer window. But Bent rejected Hughes out of hand in favour of a loan move to his successor at Fulham.

As a result it is Jol who lives to die another day – courtesy of Bent's winner on his 250th Premier League appearance – while Hughes sits just one place above his former club in 16th.

The Stoke boss explained afterwards: "We looked at Darren but we were told he wouldn't come to Stoke. So that was that.

"We don't know why but we didn't get a chance to deliberate the point. If a player like Darren Bent gets an opportunity, more often than not he takes it."

Jol won't care. The ­international break will feel less like a noose around his neck after this precious three points lifted the Londoners out of the bottom three.

It should be a slight concern for the Dutchman, however, that throughout all the speculation about his job he has not heard a peep out of new Fulham owner Shahid Khan.

And the manager admitted afterwards: "I only talk to the people who are here. I haven't spoken to Khan.

"I have great plans for the club and if I can do that, fine. And it's fine for them as well because I think, when I came here, they were quite happy and lucky to get me.

"I was used to good clubs and I want to make Fulham a good club. So I will listen to them. I don't know what their intentions are but if they want to work with me, then I'm fine."

Of the current stars playing, only Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and Frank Lampard have scored more goals than Bent's 105 in the top flight.

The 29-year-old said: "It's a results league and, if we're not getting results, then we're always going to come under fire.

"But as long as everyone knows we're all behind Martin Jol, and that we're all trying to pull in the right direction, then I'm sure we'll be fine."

Bent's goal also succeeded in taking the attention away from Roger East's shocking display, the Wiltshire referee missing FOUR penalties.

Hughes added: "It would have helped us if the referee had got the key decisions right. That totally changes the outcome of the game"

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/darren-bent-gave-fulham-three-2345340#ixzz2h0HoYrDE
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Martin Jol pins hopes for Fulham revival on strikers Darren Bent and Dimitar Berbatov
The last time Martin Jol had Darren Bent and Dimitar Berbatov playing in tandem, six years ago this month, he was sacked as Spurs manager.

Now the Dutchman is hoping the pair can forge a partnership to lift Fulham to the higher reaches of the Premier League and appease those supporters who were calling for his head a week ago.

There were happier noises emanating from Craven Cottage on Saturday after Bent left the substitutes' bench to replace Berbatov and score the only goal of the game against Stoke City to lift Fulham out of the bottom three – albeit temporarily – and ease the pressure on their manager.

While he acknowledged that his side must still improve, Jol was delighted with the victory and pleased for Bent, whom he has rescued from a miserable time at Aston Villa. The striker, who decided to join Fulham on loan for the season after losing his way and his place under Paul Lambert at Villa Park, is happy to repay Jol's faith in him again.

Jol broke Tottenham's transfer record when he signed Bent from Charlton for £16 million in 2007, but he failed to make an instant impact alongside Berbatov at White Hart Lane and Jol was sacked three months later.

Now Bent is hoping for a happier outcome. Having ­come close to rejoining Sunderland or signing for Crystal Palace in the summer, Bent jumped at the chance to join Jol, whom he describes as "the right man for the job" at Craven Cottage. His goal in the 83rd minute brought their first league win since the opening day of the season, and their first at home since April Fool's Day, and had his manager smiling rather than scowling.

"He was happy because in recent games we have played well but not got the result," Bent said. "But today the team played well, we defended well and got the goal. We are all delighted."

Bent is finding his way back to form after a difficult year at Villa, where Lambert preferred Christian Benteke. He has also been in and out of the Fulham side but he said: "It is difficult to play when you have a world-class player like Berba in the side, but whenever I am called upon I always try my hardest to get a goal and today I managed to put it away.

"It's a question of getting my sharpness back, getting match fit again, and that's coming. But the main thing is as a club to get some consistency and rhythm because it would be hard to get a result here and lose there – you want to keep winning.

"You are always under pressure as soon as a couple of results go against you. So for us to get three points in the situation we are in is massive."

Stoke could and perhaps should have won, but Sascha Riether cleared two Robert Huth headers off the line and the German put another over the bar. Mark Hughes, returning for the first time since resigning as Fulham manager two years ago, was upset that his side did not get at least one penalty, but referee Roger East also turned down a strong claim from Fulham.

Peter Crouch expressed Stoke's feelings as "bitter disappointment because we looked as though we were going to go on and win the game". He praised his former team-mate Bent, though. "I'm pleased for Darren. It's been a difficult time for him at Villa, out of the picture.

"It was a great finish. He's proved again what he's done throughout the years whenever he's played in the Premier League. He's always scored goals. He's had to keep his head down and get on with it. I admire him in many ways because he hasn't said too much. He's just kept his head down, carried on working hard and he's got his rewards with his goal today."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10359271/Martin-Jol-pins-hopes-for-Fulham-revival-on-strikers-Darren-Bent-and-Dimitar-Berbatov.html

WhiteJC

Jol enjoying breathing space after 'unbelievably important' Fulham win

Fulham 1 Stoke City 0
Fulham manager Martin Jol acknowledged Saturday's victory over Stoke was not the most comfortable, but felt it was "unbelievably important" ahead of the international break.

Having failed to win since the opening day of the season, the Dutchman's position at the helm was looking fragile heading into the clash at Craven Cottage but on-loan Darren Bent repaid Jol's faith with a late goal to secure victory.

"Relieved is probably not the word you use," Jol said. "You need results and you need to be in a good position. "You need to be without pressure because any team under pressure won't perform as good as they are capable of. You saw that again today.

"We were a bit lucky because if you look at Stoke, while they didn't create a lot of chances, Robert Huth had clear headers from set-pieces.

"It was unbelievably important because I can come up with all the stories and excuses and say that we have got a good spirit and that they are behind each other and me or whatever."

It was a result Stoke manager Mark Hughes found hard to take on his first return to Craven Cottage since leaving in 2011 citing a lack of ambition. The Welshman was infuriated by the failure to award first-half penalties for Philippe Senderos and Fernando Amorebieta challenges on Stephen Ireland and Jonathan Walters, respectively. Hughes also felt Pajtim Kasami should have been sent off after flinging an arm out in the direction of Erik Pieters.

"I thought we had a lot of control of the game," he said. "We are trying to create opportunities for ourselves. We should have two penalties and the boy Kasami should have been sent off, in my view, because he raised his hands. The boy has to go."

FULHAM (4-5-1): D Stockdale; S Riether, P Senderos, B Hangeland (K Richardson 46), F Amorebieta; P Kasami, S Sidwell, G Karagounis (G Boateng 60), D Duff, B Ruiz; D Berbatov (Bent 66).

STOKE CITY (4-2-3-1): A Begovic; G Cameron, R Shawcross, R Huth, E Pieters;, S Nzonzi, M Wilson (G Whelan 59); J Walters (P Crouch 84), S Ireland, M Etherington (O Assaidi 63); M Arnautovic.

Att: 24,634

Ref: Roger East (Wiltshire).
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/jol-enjoying-breathing-space-after-unbelievably-important-fulham-win-245490.html?

WhiteJC

Stoke City: Fans have their say on Stoke's Premier League defeat at Fulham

I AM at a loss to know what to say about this game at Craven Cottage, except I suppose it was better than last week's fiasco against Norwich at the Brit.

The ref was poor and the linesmen even worse, and the Cottagers got away with diving, punching and acting.

We can say we were robbed, but at the end of the day we didn't score.

We had more possession and more shots on goal, but still persist in passing the ball from side to side and then back instead of trying to get it forward. In fact, I don't think we have quite mastered this passing game yet.

I didn't think Fulham looked like scoring, but it was a mistake by Stephen Ireland which gifted them the goal.
He looked tired and maybe should have been substituted to save his embarrassment.

It's pretty football and better to watch, but it really doesn't matter how well you play and how many passes you make if you can't score goals.
SUE BRYAN Meir Park

TWO words best sum up this match – daylight robbery. I am still amazed we came away with nothing to show for our efforts.

We totally dominated the game, especially after half time. To ultimately lose the contest was a real sickener.

For me, there were two reasons why we ended up empty-handed – incompetent officials and our failure to bury the ball in the net.

Referee Roger East once again demonstrated why he should not be officiating at the top level with a truly outrageous performance.

Not only did he and his assistants miss two clear penalties for Stoke, they also failed to spot a raised hand in Erik Pieters' face.

Given even an average referee, we would have undoubtedly won the match. However, I am becoming concerned at our inability to score and sadly, given our options up front, I can't see a glut of goals arriving any time soon.
JAMES KING Trentham

OUR recent record at The Cottage is not the best, but the travelling Stokies thought Fulham were there for the taking on Saturday.

Our second away win seemed on the cards as we took the game to them, but I was worried by the way the Fulham players trying to con the ref by going down like they had been shot at every opportunity. Also of concern was the way we missed chance after chance.

It all went belly up for us when Ireland, who was having a good game, misplaced a pass eight minutes from time and Fulham took full advantage and the three points.

That left me trudging back to the coach tripping over my bottom lip

DAVE HARRISON, Eaton Park

Read more: http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/story-19896153-detail/story.html?#ixzz2h0J5rdKT
Follow us: @thisisstaffs on Twitter | thisisstaffordshire on Facebook

WhiteJC

Stoke City: Fulham goal hero Bent refused to discuss possible Stoke move, says City boss Hughes

MARK Hughes has revealed for the first time that Stoke City did inquire about Darren Bent in the summer.

But their failure to even open discussions with the former England striker came back to bite them when he bagged Fulham's late winner at Craven Cottage.

The Londoners signed Bent on loan from Aston Villa at the start of the season, and Saturday's niftily-taken goal was his third in four starts and three substitute appearances in league and cup.

"We looked at Darren in the summer, but we were told he wouldn't come to Stoke, or his agent said he wouldn't," Hughes disclosed. "We didn't even get a chance to deliberate the point, to be honest."

It is the second time Bent has snubbed Stoke after Tweeting back in 2009, when he was about to leave Spurs, that he wasn't interested in joining the Potters. Instead, he ended up at Sunderland.

Reflecting on the winning goal, a rueful Hughes added: "When a player like Darren Bent gets an opportunity, more often than not he's going to take it."

But the Stoke boss stuck by his own goal-shy strike force, which has yet to score in seven league games this season, by insisting any of them could have dispatched the opportunity which came Bent's way to settle Saturday's Premier League clash.
"We have good players, but at the moment it's not quite dropping for us," he said.

"I'm sure if I had put Marko (Arnautovic) or any of my other forwards in with the chance Darren Bent had then they would have taken it too."

Hughes, pictured right, played with Arnautovic through the middle for the first time and also handed a first league start to Stephen Ireland in a bid to change Stoke's fortunes.

"I thought Marko was causing them problems," he observed, "and ideally we wanted to get Stephen between the lines and play balls down the sides of their centre-halves, which he sometimes did."

Hughes was furious with referee Roger East after Stoke's failure to win two viable penalty shouts in the first half, while Fulham midfielder Pajtim Kasami was lucky to escape a red card after raising a hand to Erik Pieters midway through the opening period.

"If the referee had got the key decisions right," he complained, "it changes the shape and the outcome of the game.

"As it was, we were having to force the issue late in the game and after a couple of ricochets the ball drops to Darren Bent's feet and he's one player you don't want that to happen to."

But Hughes also acknowledged: "When we get good chances we have to start converting them.

"Obviously the end product is something we need to address because we are not taking chances when we are creating them, but that had been a bugbear before I came."

Defeat leaves Stoke perilously close to the bottom three, but Hughes insisted: "Given the teams we have played, seven points is probably what we thought we would have."

Read more: http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/story-19896164-detail/story.html?#ixzz2h0JdDKmf
Follow us: @thisisstaffs on Twitter | thisisstaffordshire on Facebook