watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Golden Lion

Started by SouthfieldWhite, October 12, 2013, 07:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthfieldWhite

Apparently the Lion has had a complete refurb, re opened on Friday and suppose to look quite nice
Use to be a regular in there and had some great times in there
May pop in before the next game to have a butchers

WhiteJC

it won't be the same without your shoes sticking to the carpet  :dft011:

LBNo11

...Anne's son is a filth fan and she threatened to ban little Chez for crying out loud! Nah! never going back...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Sammyffc

i wasn't allowed in last game due to not being a fulham member :'(

JBH

Sorry but its a dump even a refurb won't improve the place the staff are rubbish and so is the beer! I will continue to avoid it like the plague  065.gif

chiefo

Quote from: Sammyffc on October 12, 2013, 08:20:50 PM
i wasn't allowed in last game due to not being a fulham member :'(

Never been asked myself and I wouldn't say i was a regular because of the agro getting a drink, stink of piss another and that filth behind the bar!

Scrumpy

There must be something in the air. My regular, the OSP, is getting a facelift over the next few weeks and will be back all sparkly and new in a month or so.

English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Admin

It's just had a lick of paint, facelift, nothing major. Was only shut for 5 days or so.

ron

...have never been in the place, and on the balance of opinion that has been expressed on these august pages, probably never will.

Aaron

I must profess to loving the Lion.

True, I only get to 8 or 10 games a season, but that's part of the experience for me.. Is it a hole, well, yes.. But I still get a pint in there before heading to the Low Country.

beijing ben

Quote from: Aaron on October 13, 2013, 01:43:40 AM
I must profess to loving the Lion.

True, I only get to 8 or 10 games a season, but that's part of the experience for me.. Is it a hole, well, yes.. But I still get a pint in there before heading to the Low Country.

Yeah, it was never 'nice' in there but the moment i saw the Johnny Haynes picture on the wall there was no way i would ever say i didn't like it. Haven't been there for about ten years now but used to go quite a lot. Did the quiz during the week. Remember asking a Fulham related question for a tie break and no one knew the answer. Was disappointed about that but it seemed like only on match days that it became Fulham. Always liked Anne but didn't realise her son was a Chelsea fan! Next time i go to a game i'll definitely pop in there..

Burt

A lick of paint won't get rid of the smell! I wonder if the staff have received customer service training too?

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Over the years have met some lovely peeps in the garden @ The Lion
I haven't been there since Chezgate 

The Equalizer

The pub has never been what I would describe as 'nice', but it used to have a lot of positives which meant that it became one of my regular haunts both on and off match day.

Back in the late 90s, this was a great boozer. My friend Carlos was the bar manager, I was in my early 20s and life was a party. I knew all the staff, the beer was good, the place had been recently refitted and all was right with the world. A few years later, Carlos was long gone, along with all of the old staff except Ann and her kids. Ann's been in charge of that place forever. I think her and her ex-husband Ben previously had The Elm or The Oak on North End Road. They are proper Fulham local pubs full of the denizens of the local area down by West Ken Estate. The Golden Lion is a pub that reflects that completely.

Sadly the place hasn't had a refit in a long time, but the people in there are the same people that were always there. Is the issue with the pub or the area? Golden Lion hasn't changed with the area around it in all that time, and people's opinions of pubs may have also changed somewhat. I certainly don't think that the pub is any worse than it ever was. Okay, the beer might not be as good and it smells a little more of piss, but it's still the same. I've had a few decent nights out in there with my old school and Clem Attlee court friends in that place on non-matchdays, and I'm sure I will continue to in the future.

Ann's actions towards certain supporters are another topic entirely and not one that I will comment upon at this time.

ps... it's also the pub where I first met Airfix (nee Whiteboy) so many moons ago. I suddenly feel very tired.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Stefano Okaka Chuka

I love the Golden Lion to be honest. It has Fulham pictures on the walls and serves beer, what do you want more? Everytime I go to a game, I pop in.
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

Rudolph

I find this sniffy attitude towards the Lion to be disappointing.  It's part of my matchday and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Travers Barney

Been using the Lion this season for the first time in ages...been alright I must say.

coyw
We are the whites

King_Crud

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 12, 2013, 10:50:57 PM
There must be something in the air. My regular, the OSP, is getting a facelift over the next few weeks and will be back all sparkly and new in a month or so.

the Flute & Whistle has also turned into some sort of w*** bar with no tvs. Noticed after the Stoke game there was barely a soul in there, normally it would be packed with people to watch the 5:30pm game, myself included.

grandad

Back in the 60´s it was the HQ of the supporters club & dear, sadly missed Mary ran it. We always had a pint before the game but not on the way home as we wanted to get the 1st copies of the "Pink" at Southfields Station.
Where there's a will there's a wife

The Equalizer

Quote from: King_Crud on October 13, 2013, 09:31:37 PM
Quote from: Scrumpy on October 12, 2013, 10:50:57 PM

the Flute & Whistle has also turned into some sort of w*** bar with no tvs. Noticed after the Stoke game there was barely a soul in there, normally it would be packed with people to watch the 5:30pm game, myself included.

They removed all the TVs and turned it into some tacky looking American diner/cocktail bar. A lot of the old regulars now drink in The Normanby on Putney Bridge Road. Sean, the old assistant manager is now AM in the Normanby too and 2 of the bar staff have moved there.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc