watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Moan for the week-Mobile Phone Shops

Started by Peabody, November 18, 2013, 10:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

My wife has a Vodaphone Big Button phone, which is appropriate for our age group. Last week, she accidently got water in it and now the battery does not accept its charge.

So, being the dutiful husband that I am, I toddles into Sutton and was totally amazed to discover that none of the Mobile Phone shops stock and indeed, cannot get hold of replacement batteries. Now call me innocent but are'nt they missing out here and do you agree that it is poor customer relations to not hold these in stock, after all, they have loads of other accessories.

Northern Cottager

You'd be better replacing the handset. Water damage on a mobile phone is not necessarily related to the battery when it does not charge and a multitude of other boards, parts of the device become useless.

Southcoastffc

I don't know about Sutton, but Epsom's Saturday market and Leatherhead's Thursday market both used to have stalls which sold all sorts of things re mobiles - including batteries.  I have never bought a battery from a mobile phone shop but recall paying about £5 a few years ago for a battery for a Nokia which is still going strong.  That said, I wouldn't argue against what Northern Cottager says but it might be worth a punt on a market stall solution.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Peabody

Thank you for your advice but she's now ordered a new one.

jarv

The Equalizer

Quote from: jarv on November 18, 2013, 01:32:38 PM
How did she get water in it?

One of my old clients went through 2 Blackberries in a week. The first one fell into a Miso Soup, the second fell into the toilet.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Peabody

Quote from: jarv on November 18, 2013, 01:32:38 PM
How did she get water in it?

Well, she put a bottle of water in her bag and it leaked, least that's what she told me.

chiefo

Think I once read somewhere the cure for this is to put it into a sealed bag of rice for say 24 hours as this will draw out the moisture. Never tried it, don't know if a wind up, but got nothing to lose I guess.

epsomraver

Leave the phone open without battery in the airing cupboard for 24 hours Mr P and then try it, If you need a new battery which I doubt then get one from Ebay, plenty on there at good prices.

sipwell

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

TheDaddy

Quote from: chiefo on November 18, 2013, 03:25:31 PM
Think I once read somewhere the cure for this is to put it into a sealed bag of rice for say 24 hours as this will draw out the moisture. Never tried it, don't know if a wind up, but got nothing to lose I guess.
How do you get the phone in !! Ive managed to drop one down the loo dead no amount of rice would have saved it..On the other hand i also jumped into a mates pool fully clothed "just for the hell of it" and it played up for a few weeks but now works perfectly .
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Berserker

I had a bad experience in a mobile shop. I had broken the case of my phone and was told to go there by a guy in Carphone Warehouse. The shop just kept delaying giving my mended phone back, In the end I had to take Mr B into the shop to intimidate them with his male Scottish presence
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

win-dup

Old people are a nuisance and shouldn't use modern technology if they can't keep it dry.

Berserker

I bet if you did a survey of how many old people had ruined their mobile by getting it wet compared to youngsters there would be more youth phones ruined
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Peabody

Quote from: win-dup on November 18, 2013, 07:48:26 PM
Old people are a nuisance and shouldn't use modern technology if they can't keep it dry.

Your are in deep trouble mate, calling my wife old is not allowed.

sipwell

Quote from: TheDaddy on November 18, 2013, 05:38:49 PM
How do you get the phone in !! Ive managed to drop one down the loo dead no amount of rice would have saved it..On the other hand i also jumped into a mates pool fully clothed "just for the hell of it" and it played up for a few weeks but now works perfectly .

Take a bag of rice, remove battery from phone, put phone + battery in rice. Easy enough in my view ;-)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

chiefo

Quote from: sipwell on November 18, 2013, 09:59:37 PM
Quote from: TheDaddy on November 18, 2013, 05:38:49 PM

Take a bag of rice, remove battery from phone, put phone + battery in rice. Easy enough in my view ;-)
:plus one: fp.gif

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

King_Crud