watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A broken man right now

Started by Admin, November 24, 2013, 02:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Don't know what to say really, feel a bit numb after that result yesterday and for the life of me, I can't see where our next points are going coming from.

What really angers me, is that I travel all the way from Kent for home games, and I'm sure there are others who come from much further afield.

For me, it's a £100 day out now, football isn't cheap anymore and the least I expect is a bit of fight from my team, but we don't even get that these days.

I had high hopes for this game, you all know me, I'm one of the most negative people at times when it comes to Fulham, but I honestly thought the rot had to stop somewhere, starting with Swansea.

I knew the day was going to be bad as soon as my train was cancelled. I got to Putney late, It was swarming with confident Swansea fans, and to take the mickey even further, the Low Country had shut half its pub off for some Yoga convention. Yes, a Yoga convention!

Anyway, the walk to the ground was eerily quiet, especially past the Johnny Haynes statue where all you could hear was the man selling programs. It was like a ghost town with tumbleweed blowing up and down Stevenage Road with just the odd click of the turnstiles in the background. You could definitely tell that the overall mood wasn't great.

To be honest, the fans inside Craven Cottage really got behind the team but as the game went on, those cheers turned into groans as the football again became one dimensional. Swansea weren't fantastic, they passed the ball neatly around the back, but other than that, they weren't any threat and would have been picked off by any other team.

I thought we showed a bit more dignity by keeping the score at 0-0 come half time. The introduction of Derek Boateng was refreshing, but he's clearly not Premiership quality, especially after being mugged off the ball twice in the space of 2 minutes. He's another Dickson Etuhu in my eye's, shows a bit of muscle, but is a yellow card waiting to happen.

Once again, Martin Jol set his team up with a narrow, attacking minded formation with No.1 boy Dimitar Berbatov up top, no support from the flanks and again, this was done to accommodate wonder boy No.2 Bryan Ruiz. As well as becoming predictable week in week out, when will Jol eventually figure out that both can't be played in the same team. In the Championship perhaps, when both are gone without a care in the world?

Anyway, I looked at my mate Dean and said we'll either win this game with a bit of outstanding brilliance, or  they'll get a goal via a defensive mistake. Woe betide, there is came on 64 minutes, a deflection off Aaron Hughes, not entirely his fault, but just our poxy luck. At that point, It was enough for me, not just the Swansea game, but everything over these last couple of seasons, so I left, I really couldn't take it anymore.

Not for the first time, I found myself walking away from Craven Cottage kicking dust up Stevenage road, hands in pocket, head right down feeling a completely broken man. Walking past the away end, I could hear all the Swansea fans singing, cheering and laughing which made my blood absolutely boil. For the 3rd season now, they've been allowed to come to Craven Cottage and mug us off, not a very nice feeling.

As I walked up past the tennis courts, I heard a half-hearted cheer, I knew we'd scored, but for the first time ever, I just kept walking without a care in the world. I knew it wouldn't last, and I just knew we'd concede late on. I popped into the Golden Lion on the way to the train station, bought a quick pint and to my surprise, quite a few Fulham fans were in there. I spoke to one and said "Early bath?". He said "Nope, been here all day, there's 7 of us who refuse to watch Fulham under Martin Jol and just come out for a drink".  I thought blimey!

As soon as I put my pint to my limps, the pub became full of angry groans and very peed off fans. I looked up at the T.V and to add insult to injury, Jonjo bloody Shelvey had scored. It was like a fire drill with people putting on coats, hats, scarfs and saying " That's it,  I've had enough". I followed suit, took a sip of my beer, slammed it down and left.

The tube ride back to Covent Garden to meet the Mrs was awful, I felt quite empty at this stage and out of ideas. I was trying to think where our next win would come from, let alone next goal. We really are a mess right now, and can't believe the club has been allowed it to get this bad, we once had some of the best guy's in the business. Martin Jol is absolute poison and the longer he's left in charge, the worse we're going to get, it's as simple as that. We're Championship bound and will fall out of this division without a whimper, we don't have the players to fight for the cause.

As I'm writing this, I'm watching Spurs get absolutely trashed my Man City, a defensive display worthy of a Martin Jol performance. Will we capitalise on this along with taking it to West Ham who are currently in a bad run of form? Will we hell, and as usual, we'll just roll over and hand them the points.

I'm sorry, a very dejected and upset Admin here..

Burt

The bummer (which you reflect well in your post) is that we have so much emotional investment in the club that a loss ripples out, it sets you up for the rest of the weekend. Or week.

I have forgotten what it feels like to have the positive glow you get from watching a great game of football with 3 points the outcome.

When was the last time we really ripped up the opposition?

jms

Quote from: Admin on November 24, 2013, 02:38:32 PM
Don't know what to say really, feel a bit numb after that result yesterday and for the life of me, I can't see where our next points are going coming from.

What really angers me, is that I travel all the way from Kent for home games, and I'm sure there are others who come from much further afield.

For me, it's a £100 day out now, football isn't cheap anymore and the least I expect is a bit of fight from my team, but we don't even get that these days.

I had high hopes for this game, you all know me, I'm one of the most negative people at times when it comes to Fulham, but I honestly thought the rot had to stop somewhere, starting with Swansea.

I knew the day was going to be bad as soon as my train was cancelled. I got to Putney late, It was swarming with confident Swansea fans, and to take the mickey even further, the Low Country had shut half its pub off for some Yoga convention. Yes, a Yoga convention!

Anyway, the walk to the ground was eerily quiet, especially past the Johnny Haynes statue where all you could hear was the man selling programs. It was like a ghost town with tumbleweed blowing up and down Stevenage Road with just the odd click of the turnstiles in the background. You could definitely tell that the overall mood wasn't great.

To be honest, the fans inside Craven Cottage really got behind the team but as the game went on, those cheers turned into groans as the football again became one dimensional. Swansea weren't fantastic, they passed the ball neatly around the back, but other than that, they weren't any threat and would have been picked off by any other team.

I thought we showed a bit more dignity by keeping the score at 0-0 come half time. The introduction of Derek Boateng was refreshing, but he's clearly not Premiership quality, especially after being mugged off the ball twice in the space of 2 minutes. He's another Dickson Etuhu in my eye's, shows a bit of muscle, but is a yellow card waiting to happen.

Once again, Martin Jol set his team up with a narrow, attacking minded formation with No.1 boy Dimitar Berbatov up top, no support from the flanks and again, this was done to accommodate wonder boy No.2 Bryan Ruiz. As well as becoming predictable week in week out, when will Jol eventually figure out that both can't be played in the same team. In the Championship perhaps, when both are gone without a care in the world?

Anyway, I looked at my mate Dean and said we'll either win this game with a bit of outstanding brilliance, or  they'll get a goal via a defensive mistake. Woe betide, there is came on 64 minutes, a deflection off Aaron Hughes, not entirely his fault, but just our poxy luck. At that point, It was enough for me, not just the Swansea game, but everything over these last couple of seasons, so I left, I really couldn't take it anymore.

Not for the first time, I found myself walking away from Craven Cottage kicking dust up Stevenage road, hands in pocket, head right down feeling a completely broken man. Walking past the away end, I could hear all the Swansea fans singing, cheering and laughing which made my blood absolutely boil. For the 3rd season now, they've been allowed to come to Craven Cottage and mug us off, not a very nice feeling.

As I walked up past the tennis courts, I heard a half-hearted cheer, I knew we'd scored, but for the first time ever, I just kept walking without a care in the world. I knew it wouldn't last, and I just knew we'd concede late on. I popped into the Golden Lion on the way to the train station, bought a quick pint and to my surprise, quite a few Fulham fans were in there. I spoke to one and said "Early bath?". He said "Nope, been here all day, there's 7 of us who refuse to watch Fulham under Martin Jol and just come out for a drink".  I thought blimey!

As soon as I put my pint to my limps, the pub became full of angry groans and very peed off fans. I looked up at the T.V and to add insult to injury, Jonjo bloody Shelvey had scored. It was like a fire drill with people putting on coats, hats, scarfs and saying " That's it,  I've had enough". I followed suit, took a sip of my beer, slammed it down and left.

The tube ride back to Covent Garden to meet the Mrs was awful, I felt quite empty at this stage and out of ideas. I was trying to think where our next win would come from, let alone next goal. We really are a mess right now, and can't believe the club has been allowed it to get this bad, we once had some of the best guy's in the business. Martin Jol is absolute poison and the longer he's left in charge, the worse we're going to get, it's as simple as that. We're Championship bound and will fall out of this division without a whimper, we don't have the players to fight for the cause.

As I'm writing this, I'm watching Spurs get absolutely trashed my Man City, a defensive display worthy of a Martin Jol performance. Will we capitalise on this along with taking it to West Ham who are currently in a bad run of form? Will we hell, and as usual, we'll just roll over and hand them the points.

This post sums up my feelings exactly.

JDH101

Anyway, I looked at my mate Dean and said we'll either win this game with a bit of outstanding brilliance, or  they'll get a goal via a defensive mistake. Woe betide, there is came on 64 minutes, a deflection off Aaron Hughes, not entirely his fault, but just our poxy luck. At that point, It was enough for me, not just the Swansea game, but everything over these last couple of seasons, so I left, I really couldn't take it anymore.

As I walked up past the tennis courts, I heard a half-hearted cheer, I knew we'd scored, but for the first time ever, I just kept walking without a care in the world. I knew it wouldn't last, and I just knew we'd concede late on. I popped into the Golden Lion on the way to the train station, bought a quick pint and to my surprise, quite a few Fulham fans were in there. I spoke to one and said "Early bath?". He said "Nope, been here all day, there's 7 of us who refuse to watch Fulham under Martin Jol and just come out for a drink".  I thought blimey!

As soon as I put my pint to my limps, the pub became full of angry groans and very peed off fans. I looked up at the T.V and to add insult to injury, Jonjo bloody Shelvey had scored. It was like a fire drill with people putting on coats, hats, scarfs and saying " That's it,  I've had enough". I followed suit, took a sip of my beer, slammed it down and left.

Thank you for taking the time to write that. You are not alone. Its horrible to see what Martin Jol has done to our club. Its not even Christmas and I already am close to throwing in the towel on the season. Even if the board did fire him, which they aren't anytime soon, I don't think anyone could come in and turn this mess around in a few months. Well, except for maybe Woy...

Berserker

Sorry to here you are so despondent Admin. I just go to matches at the moment with a sense of dread, would just love a win to cheer me up. Work is getting me down to a very large degree so feel rather depressed on several fronts. I went to the Low Country yesterday to meet Silver Fox, LB, Sipwell, but it was too busy for Mr B to go in, we went to the Cafe opposite, I was so dissappointed. Mind you the walk from Hammersmith probably did me good
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

bigalffc

Admin, I feel for you. Took my whole family with hope in our hearts all the way from Norfolk.A day that starts at 10:00 am and finishes at 10:00 pm and costs me hundreds with 7 of us burgers drinks and a KFC on the way home. But it is now a chore and my 13 yr old grandson has said he doesn't want to come again whilst Jol is in charge. My Grandad took me to my first game at the Cottage in 1958 and I have seen it all, but never have I felt the team just aren't trying anymore. I would rather they put all the youngsters out and us get beaten but with some pride and passion. Gutted  :group hug:
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

LBNo11

...you are by no means alone in your thoughts and conclusions, many comments on facebook and e-mails from people who feel the same and won't go whilst jol is picking the team and tactics.

Some of you close to me know that I have taken to following my amateur club Hampton FC, more this season, eschewing Craven Cottage and Fulham and the dire football for the lower league experience and finding solace in realising that I hadn't fallen out of love with football, just with the brand of football of Fulham's last premier league manager.

I am not the only person to do this, I know personally of four others who have done, or are doing the same. I don't know or care how I am branded for acting this way, I no longer enjoy the experience of all things Fulham related, I went yesterday after a break of three games, because some friends were over from the continent. I tried to build myself up for the game, determined to feel the way I used to, the passion, the pride, even the feeling of belonging - but I was fooling myself, this is not my team, it no longer feels like my club to be honest, journeyman players and manager alike.

I will say again, have watched Fulham with poor players, poor managers in lower leagues, and the expectations weren't high, and the thoughts of premier league football seemed nothing other than a pipe-dream; but we made it, we reached the top division after so many years languishing in the nether regions of the leagues, only for this assembly of International players, highly renumerated individuals and a person in charge who is supposedly a top manager!

Should the club ignore the undercurrent of dissatisfaction amongst many fans, they should do so at their peril - especially when it comes to season ticket renewal time, and especially as many will wait to know what division we will be in.

I have a season ticket that has paid for my seat irrespective of whether I attend or not, so I will choose if or when I attend again with no feeling of guilt, the dues have been paid, and I will go back to watch amateur football that is enjoyable, skilful, cheap, and where my money is actually much appreciated, and needed - until such time as jol goes and takes his favourites with him...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

E.I.Adio

I must echo all the sentiments above, Getting pretty fed up travelling down from North Oxfordshire to watch a pathetic display every other week, For the first time ever i actually bet on us to lose, a couple of quid on 2-1 at 8/1 it didn't make me happy to win but it went a little way to paying my travelling expenses. I know it may sound disloyal to some but it's the way i felt

FFCSteve

Yep! another one here disillusioned, & echo many sentiments.

Haven't been at all this season, I find absolutely no joy in spending my hard earned to watch dire performances.
So watch it on the net, usually throwing the off switch at half time.

Some may say you should support your club, & I can see that point of view. But I feel the club aren't supporting the fans.
It should work both ways!

COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

Admin

Quote from: FFCSteve on November 24, 2013, 04:43:18 PM
Yep! another one here disillusioned, & echo many sentiments.

Haven't been at all this season, I find absolutely no joy in spending my hard earned to watch dire performances.
So watch it on the net, usually throwing the off switch at half time.

Some may say you should support your club, & I can see that point of view. But I feel the club aren't supporting the fans.
It should work both ways!

Please don't get me started on the club supporting the fans. Another thing that has been non-existent this season. Apart from a stupid pencil and note pad with your season ticket, they have done nothing but fob us off. You don't even get a straight answer from the club now when you try to contact them. They've forgotten the days when us fans put in to keep this club alive and some, including my family who have dug deep in the past.  

epsomraver

You are not alone mate, I will not go to a game until Jol has gone, We both  said yesterday that it was a match day and  not really caring  anymore, even to listen to Jim either, did not miss going at all , for people who never missed a game in 30 years ( I know there are a lot on here with the same commitment) that is saying something, hopefully Monday he will be gone ppppppppppppplease

jarv

Another echo here. I had to cancel my trip to UK and offered my tickets on here free. As it happened, my best mate (a Southampton fan) went with a Fulham supporting mate of his. He sent me an email today, saying Fulham were atrocious and if they had drawn, it would have been a travesty. I know, I watched on NBC in USA and switched off at the same time as you, knowing that was it.
My rearranged trip will probably be mid January. Southampton have a home game the same day as Fulham. I asked him to get 2 tickets to St. Marys that day. Might actually be entertained. Even though it is only once a year, I will not make another visit to Craven Cottage until Jol has gone.

beijing ben

I can understand where you are all coming from but for me, admittedly watching on tv, i don't think it's a lack of effort exactly. I think they are trying but most of the time we don't have the ball and seem disorganised. Not exactly a lack of effort. Berbatov can be accused of not trying and Ruiz is lightweight but those two have never offered what they are being asked to give. Parker has been excellent considering the situation (why he was subbed off i'll never understand). It all comes down to a lack of quality. The difference between us and Swansea was that they had de Guzman who could pull the strings as it were. We don't have anyone in that key midfield role. Even having Shelvey on the bench offered them some more creativity if required, which he did give when he came on for them

I don't really think that the players aren't trying. I maybe missing something cos i'm not actually there these days so please correct me if you really feel it. For me its just that we miss that key player and that generally we are just not very good. We can still turn it around though but we must get a very good central midfielder in the transfer window and hopefully we won't be too far adrift by then...

ScalleysDad

Was the petition and email bombardment a one off or are both on going?
I never got a reply to my point about the awful stewarding of the Man U game and would like to think it was swamped by Jol Out messages. He might have got some respite yesterday for changing the Captain and trying a couple of things but the substitutions, the timings of those and keeping Ruiz and Berbatov on the pitch blew that.
I feel your angst Admin and others.

SG

Like everyone else I am bored rigid watching the rubbish that has been served up this season and much of last. It has become a chore. Despite having season tickets I chose, like LB, to watch local football yesterday and saved myself from a 130 mile round trip from deepest Sussex and all the additional costs associated with travelling up. I have watched us for 50+ years when we were s**t and with no hope of progressing but the current crop of overpaid international 'stars' have drained me of any enthusiasm and passion for my club.

Stefano Okaka Chuka

So, you left after going 1-0 down AT HOME vs SWANSEA?!? We had all the time in the world to come back from there and we did.
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

Fulham_Surrey

the OP is wrong.  Bent was the top of the attack, hence we lost.  The guy is not clinical enough, period.  Berba would have scored. So i say try Dembele on top, and Berba behind.  Or Berba on top and Kasami behind him.  Jol was right in his interview on MOTD, the loss is because Bent missed 4 chances on his own, and in the fifth could not chip a simple pass to wide open Berba who had an OPEN goal.

epsomraver

Quote from: Fulham_Surrey on November 24, 2013, 05:35:27 PM
the OP is wrong.  Bent was the top of the attack, hence we lost.  The guy is not clinical enough, period.  Berba would have scored. So i say try Dembele on top, and Berba behind.  Or Berba on top and Kasami behind him.  Jol was right in his interview on MOTD, the loss is because Bent missed 4 chances on his own, and in the fifth could not chip a simple pass to wide open Berba who had an OPEN goal.

Any team with Berbatov in is never going to do anything, his effects on team morale are so bad we will never achieve sweet FA while he and Jol are at the club

SG

Quote from: epsomraver on November 24, 2013, 05:39:25 PM
Quote from: Fulham_Surrey on November 24, 2013, 05:35:27 PM
the OP is wrong.  Bent was the top of the attack, hence we lost.  The guy is not clinical enough, period.  Berba would have scored. So i say try Dembele on top, and Berba behind.  Or Berba on top and Kasami behind him.  Jol was right in his interview on MOTD, the loss is because Bent missed 4 chances on his own, and in the fifth could not chip a simple pass to wide open Berba who had an OPEN goal.

Any team with Berbatov in is never going to do anything, his effects on team morale are so bad we will never achieve sweet FA while he and Jol are at the club

Agreed - how any manager could think that Berbatov would make a team captain simply beggars belief. That is when Jol completely lost it for me.

WhiteJC

before anyone says i should support my club, its been taken from me, I just want my club back, until Jol has gone I'm not going to another game I don't know how else I can make the "management" understand unless its withdrawal of my financial support, its the only thing they'll understand?