Main Menu

The January Silly Season thread

Started by Riverside, December 16, 2013, 05:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Big Martin Jol on December 17, 2013, 03:39:35 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on December 17, 2013, 03:30:22 PM
Quote from: Barrie on December 17, 2013, 01:35:48 PM
Demspey could go the easy route and join West ham, but the fact that he looks likely to be rejoining us shows courage and means clearly that he is desperate to restore his reputation and standing with the fans.  I like that.  And if he comes back here with that kind of determination and plays a part in keeping us up, then all that has gone before will be forgotten as far as I am concerned.

uh, not so much. Clint is a professional footballer. He works for Seattle now, and his reason for seeking european football during MLS break is to keep his form up with the World Cup coming up. The idea that he's obsessing over how Fulham fans feel about him two seasons after he left the club is ludicrous. These guys, like everyone else with a job and a family, are obsessed with being the best they can and making sure that their family's are secure. Several years ago I left a company I was working for and set myself up in business. After a time, I secured two or three contracts with my former company. I did so NOT because I owed them anything, but because they were paying me a decent bit of money for a decent bit of work.

When it comes, Clint's decision will be based on how much pitch time he can get -- not because he owes something to Fulham or Tottenham fans. I can't believe the naivete on here.

Not sure if Seattle qualifies as professional football.  :005:

Just now reading thru this thread.

Did our first half of this season qualify as professional football? I watch a fair bit of MLS and definitely pay attention to the pundits in The U.S. I can't recall a single instance where Seattle were accused of quitting on their club or fans in a game.

I realize this may be an unpopular post, but I've seen plenty from this club over the course of the first half season that I wouldn't deem professional.

Stones and glass houses.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

ToodlesMcToot

Was I the only person who listened to Rene's interview on the official site and caught him saying "if we get Brede back"? No "when", just "if".

This suggests to me that we are definitely in the market for a CB this January.

valdeingruo

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 23, 2013, 06:31:29 PM
Was I the only person who listened to Rene's interview on the official site and caught him saying "if we get Brede back"? No "when", just "if".

If to me is very encouraging, meaning we have a plan in place if not. No excuses from Rene along the lines of "we would better if brede was playing, etc"
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: andersons11 on December 23, 2013, 06:34:15 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 23, 2013, 06:31:29 PM

If to me is very encouraging, meaning we have a plan in place if not. No excuses from Rene along the lines of "we would better if brede was playing, etc"

I'm quite happy that there seems to be a transfer plan in place and that new CB(s) seem to be a part of it. I'd be happier still if Rene had said "when" instead of "if".

valdeingruo

A new team is needed really. Who in our current squad of players will be at Fulham in 3-4 years time, this is purely on age and if the  club were to renew contracts. Ruiz, Senderos, Stekelenburg, Zervotic, Reither? Kasami, Kacaniklic, Dejagah, Briggs? 

So to me we need centre backs and then forwards urgently soon phased by centre mids and a full back.

I think the next two windows are huge for us, to see Mr. Kahn's intentions.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: andersons11 on December 23, 2013, 06:56:55 PM
A new team is needed really. Who in our current squad of players will be at Fulham in 3-4 years time, this is purely on age and if the  club were to renew contracts. Ruiz, Senderos, Stekelenburg, Zervotic, Reither? Kasami, Kacaniklic, Dejagah, Briggs?  

So to me we need centre backs and then forwards urgently soon phased by centre mids and a full back.

I wonder how much we'll see of Mr. Khan's and the club's "intent" in this window. After all, we still only have an interim manager, or head coach if you prefer. It's difficult to see to much being spent w/o knowing that he'll be here long term. What will be interesting to me will be how the money is spent in January. Will we keep the same bargain bin mentality and buy older players that we expect to squeeze the last bit of football out of? Or will we look to get younger, continental talent that we can count on growing within the club.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 23, 2013, 07:26:49 PM
A new team is needed really. Who in our current squad of players will be at Fulham in 3-4 years time, this is purely on age and if the  club were to renew contracts. Ruiz, Senderos, Stekelenburg, Zervotic, Reither? Kasami, Kacaniklic, Dejagah, Briggs? 

I wonder how much we'll see of Mr. Khan's and the club's "intent" in this window. After all, we still only have an interim manager, or head coach if you prefer. It's difficult to see to much being spent w/o knowing that he'll be here long term. What will be interesting to me will be how the money is spent in January. Will we keep the same bargain bin mentality and buy older players that we expect to squeeze the last bit of football out of? Or will we look to get younger, continental talent that we can count on growing within the club.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't appointed permanent manager in the next few weeks. I see no reason for him not to be. Furthermore, I expect we will spend more than usual in January. This is purely based on Rene's interviews, he seems quite determined to buy in January.

Julius Geezer

Ishak Belfodil from Inter on a loan deal.

Holders

Quote from: The Moose on December 23, 2013, 08:54:01 PM
A new team is needed really. Who in our current squad of players will be at Fulham in 3-4 years time, this is purely on age and if the  club were to renew contracts. Ruiz, Senderos, Stekelenburg, Zervotic, Reither? Kasami, Kacaniklic, Dejagah, Briggs?  

I'd be surprised if he wasn't appointed permanent manager in the next few weeks. I see no reason for him not to be. Furthermore, I expect we will spend more than usual in January. This is purely based on Rene's interviews, he seems quite determined to buy in January.

I'll be very surprised if he's appointed permanent manager before we're safe. He wouldn't countenance that and I doubt if the club would either. There's too many unknowns - same goes for expiring player contracts. He has clearly said that Khan has said that he'll do whatever's necessary to stay up. I hope that the enquiries have already been made so that we can act early in the window. It'll be interesting to see what he does - whether sales/purchases or loan work, given that we have our two domestic loans and the registered squad of 24.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Riverside

Cardiff City have rekindled their interest in Roma midfielder Michael Bradley but will face stiff competition from Premier League rivals Fulham.

According to Sky Italia, American Bradley is subject to offers from both clubs with Roma already eyeing potential replacements.

Cardiff had attempted a €7m move in the summer, at a time when Sunderland were also eyeing the 26-year-old.

Bradley spent half a season on loan at Aston Villa in the second half of 2010/11 from Borussia Monchengladbach before spending time at Chievo and then on to Roma.

Injury has restricted Bradley to just five starts out of 11 appearances in Serie A and a winter exit could prove a win-win for all parties.

Both Cardiff and Fulham are struggling in the Premier League, though the latter could have a slight advantage in terms of the transfer.

The Cottagers recently completed a loan move for former striker and Bradley's compatriot Clint Dempsey.

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen will be hoping Dempsey can sell the idea of Fulham to Bradley, as the club lie just three points above the foot of the table in 19th.

jmh

I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that he's not permanently in charge (nothing from the club has used the word "interim", for one), just that they're using "head coach" as opposed to "manager" as his title.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: jmh on December 27, 2013, 07:28:15 PM

I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that he's not permanently in charge (nothing from the club has used the word "interim", for one), just that they're using "head coach" as opposed to "manager" as his title.

True. Perhaps he is. I'd be surprised if they would've immediately given him the job given his lack of experience though. In any case I hope he's well back in the transfer market.

cmg

A new team is needed really. Who in our current squad of players will be at Fulham in 3-4 years time, this is purely on age and if the  club were to renew contracts.

"And here is the Fulham team for Boxing Day 2017. Etheridge (replacing the injured Stekelenberg), Passley, Grimmer, Burn, Kavanagh, Sambou, Hyndman, Karagounis, Roberts, Dembele, Kacaniklic."

(I may wake up tomorrow)

btings

There's a rumor in the Colombian press that Hugo Rodallega may be going to the Colombian club Millonarios on loan.

http://soydemillos.net/noticias/que-tan-cierto-es-lo-de-hugo-rodallega/

This via Juan Arango (@juang_arango on twitter) -- I am also taking his word that this is what the article actually says.

Riverside

2 more from this morning

According to talkSPORT, Fulham and West Ham are in a competition of signing the Algerian striker, Ishak Belfodil (21 years), from Inter Milan. Whats your thoughtd about that?

and Jose Altidore as a FoF post

Neither though are holding midfielders or CBs . For me the areas that have to be reinforced 1st .

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: Riverside on December 29, 2013, 08:48:25 AM
2 more from this morning

According to talkSPORT, Fulham and West Ham are in a competition of signing the Algerian striker, Ishak Belfodil (21 years), from Inter Milan. Whats your thoughtd about that?

and Jose Altidore as a FoF post

Neither though are holding midfielders or CBs . For me the areas that have to be reinforced 1st .

It depends on whether Barba stays or not re: bringing in a striker.  I watch a decent amount of Serie A and it's hard to tell how talented Belfodil is.  Inter is just a hodge podge team.  They kick the ball around and occasionally put one in the net, but it's hard to tell what they are trying to do since they are such poor passers.  He had a good reputation before Inter bought him, but who knows.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: btings on December 28, 2013, 05:31:23 AM
There's a rumor in the Colombian press that Hugo Rodallega may be going to the Colombian club Millonarios on loan.

http://soydemillos.net/noticias/que-tan-cierto-es-lo-de-hugo-rodallega/

This via Juan Arango (@juang_arango on twitter) -- I am also taking his word that this is what the article actually says.

He's a nice enough guy but I don't think he's suited to playing the lone striker role. Much like Bent really. If we can get them to take over his wages that could clear some money for us to get someone in on loan to replace him.

Riverside

Rene Meulensteen at the double for new faces
FULHAM are plotting a January raid on Portugal for Pacos winger Paolo Hurtado and Sporting midfielder Zakaria Labyad.

NEW FACE: The Cottagers are in need of a freshen up and looking towards Paolo Hurtado for inspiration [GETTY]

Dutch boss Rene Meulensteen is looking to bring in some new faces as the Cottagers look to claw themselves away from relegation danger.

Fulham are believed to have already opened talks with Portuguese side Pacos de Ferreira about a deal to sign Peru international Hurtado, 23.

But they are likely to face competition from Dutch giants PSV Eindhoven for Dutch-born Morocco international Labyad, should Sporting let him go.

Fulham would look to take the midfielder, 20, on loan with an option to buy at the end of the season,

Labyad, 20, joined Sporting from PSV in the summer of 2012.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/357879/Rene-Meulensteen-at-the-double-for-new-faces

Riverside

TalkSport – Fulham & West Ham battle it out over Belfodil

According to British TalkSport Inter's Algerian striker, Ishak Belfodil, is being tracked by Premier League clubs Fulham and West Ham.

Both clubs are reportedly keen on closing a deal for the player quickly in order to fend of challenge from clubs such as Torino, Sassuolo and Betis over teh signature of teh player who has foudn it very difficult to rack up playing time at Inter so far this season.

http://www.sempreinter.com/2013/12/29/talksport-fulham-west-ham-battle-it-out-over-belfodil/?

Riverside

and the Telegraph's view of things

Fulham

Budget
Loans only.

Who's in charge of signings?
The timing of Alan Curbishley's surprise appointment as technical director suggests he will be heavily involved in any recruitment next month. But chief executive Alistair Mackintosh will have already identified targets and made initial contact with clubs and agents.

What's their priority?
Central midfield. Fulham need to find some youth and energy in the centre of the park, where they have looked pedestrian at times this season. Clint Dempsey, a former favourite, has already returned to the club on a two-month loan from Seattle Sounders in the MLS. Meulensteen is a big fan of Ravel Morrison, but it is unlikely he will join Fulham.

Who could arrive
Jack Cork (Southampton, left)

Who could leave
Bryan Ruiz.