watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The January Silly Season thread

Started by Riverside, December 16, 2013, 05:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craven Mad

I've got to say, I'm not terribly positive about any of the names rumoured recently.

Belfodil looks a talent, but is yet to show any sort of goalscoring ability - not ideal for a team that can't create.

Labyad has all the tricks but little end to his game - also used to an 'easier' league.

I don't know about Hurtado, but looking on transfermkt he appears to be largely a sub for a relegation-slot portugese team..

I've heard Jack Cork could be available for <£3m which, considering he was a starter for Sthmptn last season, could be a good purchase, but he's not a creator (0 goals, 1 assist in 28 last season) - another Sid/Scott sorta bloke.

I'm glad to see us going for younger players, who are more direct, quicker and face goal, but we need to improve to move up the table, and I'm not convinced these players could improve us. What does everyone else think?

Cravenawin

I'm more concerned about getting the central defence tightened up. It's not known when Hangeland will be back, Senderos, (who gets too much unwarranted criticism on here) always gives 100% but is sometimes found wanting and Hughes and Amorbietta are an accident waiting to happen. In my opinion, Amorbietta is one of the worst defenders I've seen in a white shirt since we've been in the Prem and I include Zat Knight in that!

jmh

Re. Belfodil, if nothing else he's a big guy (6' 3.5" per Wikipedia) who should give us more physical presence up front.  I really have no idea how well he uses his size, but he scored 8 Serie A goals for Parma last year so perhaps he isn't entirely worthless.  It's a bit worrying that he's only 21 and already on his ninth club though.

Riverside

The BBC View

Fulham

What they need in a nutshell: A foil for Dimitar Berbatov and a new centre-back.
Window shopping: Rene Meulensteen has had a bit of time to assess his squad and he will be looking to ship players out as well as bring new ones in.

Will Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov stay at Craven Cottage in January?
If Berbatov does stay, then he needs a new partner up front because it has not worked out with Bryan Ruiz, and Darren Bent has not done the business this season, which is very strange.
They need a top-class striker to play in front of Berbatov, and they will be looking for someone who can pinch some goals, and hold up the ball too. Basically to play up there on his own if needs be.
Bent does play up front on his own, but the problem with him is that he does not give you anything in general play.
The Cottagers' other problem area for me is centre-back because they do not look strong in that position. They leak a lot of goals and they have got a soft centre.

Linked with: Phil Bardsley 28, RB (Sunderland) Benjamin Angoua 27, CB (Valenciennes), Tomas Rincon 25, DM (Hamburg), Anderson 25, CM (Manchester United), Wilfried Zaha 21, FW (Manchester United), Balazs Dzsudzsak 27, FW (Dynamo Moscow), Ishak Belfodil 21, CF (Inter Milan).

Riverside

And of course Ravel Morrison

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10543383/Fulham-to-bid-for-West-Ham-midfielder-Ravel-Morrison.html

very interesting article, heard ravel morrison thinks of rene as a father figure. still could just be rumours

"Fulham, who on Monday named Ray Wilkins as assistant head coach, are likely to test the water with a bid of around £4 million, plus add-ons, and offer Morrison a significant increase to his £15,000-a-week wages."

......... I must say I cannot see this one happening . But would like it to !

Wimbledon_White

£18M release clause....I know, let's offer less than 25% of that. That oughta do it.

Skin flint Fulham at it's best.

Zu-Meister

Rene:  "What I've been assured is that I will be given the support I need. I don't really know about funds but I have had open and honest discussions with the owner.

"You might have a wish list but it might not be possible. We will put a case forward for anything that we think will improve us."

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Zu-Meister on December 31, 2013, 02:07:30 PM
Rene:  "What I've been assured is that I will be given the support I need. I don't really know about funds but I have had open and honest discussions with the owner.

"You might have a wish list but it might not be possible. We will put a case forward for anything that we think will improve us."

Surely all they need to do is put down a list of CBs and CMs as the case for those needs has been made long ago.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Zu-Meister on December 31, 2013, 02:07:30 PM
Rene:  "What I've been assured is that I will be given the support I need. I don't really know about funds but I have had open and honest discussions with the owner.

It better be possible else goodbye Premiership

jmh

Quote from: Riverside on December 31, 2013, 01:01:29 PM
If Berbatov does stay, then he needs a new partner up front because it has not worked out with Bryan Ruiz, and Darren Bent has not done the business this season, which is very strange.
If they think it's strange, they just haven't been watching.  Bent is clearly now too slow to do what we're accustomed to seeing him doing.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: jmh on December 31, 2013, 03:22:15 PM
If they think it's strange, they just haven't been watching.  Bent is clearly now too slow to do what we're accustomed to seeing him doing.

Darren Bent hasn't had the opportunity to do the things that he does best. It doesn't matter how fast or slow he is. If the service is not there - something that is entirely absent from Fulham at the moment - he's not going to be able to perform what he's being paid for.

jmh

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 31, 2013, 03:30:45 PM
Quote from: jmh on December 31, 2013, 03:22:15 PM

Darren Bent hasn't had the opportunity to do the things that he does best. It doesn't matter how fast or slow he is. If the service is not there - something that is entirely absent from Fulham at the moment - he's not going to be able to perform what he's being paid for.
He hasn't had a lot of opportunities, that's certainly true, as the team doesn't create as many chances as we'd all like to see.  When chances have been made (remember all the ones he had in the match against Swansea, for example?), though, he's done love-all with them.  Center backs inevitably beat him to through balls, to say nothing of full backs; his ability to be first to the ball was a huge part of his game when he was effective, from, say, 2004-11.  But it's gone now, and, I suspect, was gone last year as well, which is why Villa didn't mind loaning him to a club in the same area of the Premier League table as them.

Craven Mad

Anyone notice no Anderson in Utd's lineup, and no Morrison in West Ham's - both linked with us, so good sign they may be off..

I for one would be delighted to see both of them added to the team.

KP_FFC

anderson is very good, just very injury prone. i still think we need to buy a very good attacking LM

Brede Butter Pudding

Quote from: Craven Mad on January 01, 2014, 06:34:33 PM
Anyone notice no Anderson in Utd's lineup, and no Morrison in West Ham's - both linked with us, so good sign they may be off..

No chance Morrison would come to us, also there were reports he was arrested in Manchester a couple of days ago for driving a stolen car so that may have something to do with his absence.

Anderson on the other hand is more realistic in my opinion. I'd love to see him in a white shirt, could add a bit more dynamism in the middle and could link up nicely with Parker and Sidwell.

Craven Mad

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on January 01, 2014, 06:38:21 PM

No chance Morrison would come to us, also there were reports he was arrested in Manchester a couple of days ago for driving a stolen car so that may have something to do with his absence.

Anderson on the other hand is more realistic in my opinion. I'd love to see him in a white shirt, could add a bit more dynamism in the middle and could link up nicely with Parker and Sidwell.

I'd agree, I only mentioned it though as we've been linked with him lately.

Would certainly show intent if we signed him though, and would be another nail in the coffin to West Ham - unlikely still.. Anderson (if fit) would be very useful for opening up defences.

grandad

From a Man Utd fan on the BBC. Where have we heard this before.
Why are people blaming Moyes! The reality is that the cracks that we have papered over these last few years are being lifted. We need a lot of investment in new players, especially in central midfield.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ToodlesMcToot

They said on the stream i had of the game that Morrison is injured.

rusty shackleford

Craven Mad

Quote from: rusty shackleford on January 02, 2014, 11:17:46 AM
Berbatov to Arsenal doin the rounds

It'd make sense, for them. Bendtner injured, Giroud not in form, Berba would be a cheap alternative.

This jan will decide whether Arsenal will be title contenders or just top 4 candidates.. Berba would not push them forward. Benzema, Costa etc would be a signing that would allow them to challenge for the top spot.

I guess it depends on whether Wenger wants to spend £2mil or £20mil+