watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stekelenburg

Started by Denver Fulham, December 21, 2013, 06:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I think he is ok. We need 3 new back 4 players.  Easily the worst defence in the league since Derby County. :005:

Denver Fulham

Quote from: b+w geezer on December 21, 2013, 08:32:37 PM
Quote from: filham on December 21, 2013, 08:09:19 PM
A change in keeper will not solve all our defensive problems.
I agree, and with the rest of your response in general, but that includes the implication that there is less to choose between the two of them than we expected. In theory Steck should be much the superior, but signs of that are still awaited and it's getting to the stage when they are no longer anticipated.

That is the key point. We should not be having a discussion between Stek and Stockdale. The fact that it's even being broached implies that Stek is underperforming his assumed level. We don't know whether this is indeed his level, or he's just not played well enough yet.

His distribution is very good, though. Forgot to mention that in the initial post.

NogoodBoyo

Our defenders played quite well but four of them made just one serious bockolls-up that cost us goals.
Goal 1: referee error
Goal 2: Where on earth was Reither when the City player ghosted into his position unmarked for the second goal.  And then what panties was Amorabieta wearing that prevented him from committing to the block?
Goal 3 (if this was the ball whipped in with the outside of the boot from the right).  Aaron air-balled it.  Dear oh dear.  They all rave about the quality of the cross but Hughes was in the right place to clear it for a corner.  And he missed it.
Goal 4.  Amorabieta didn't show as much determination as the attacker (a bit harsh, but I'm remembering his wimpey attempt to block the second goal - and Stek let another one go through his body to add to last week's that went under it.
Costly, costly costly, costly.
Other than that, we played brilliantly.
Nogood "agreed that it's now Stockdale time, itis" Boyo

hovewhite

Keepers under the spotlight more than any other position stek is good keeper
Stockdale is no slouch though,but to simalar to call.

andrewscott

I think you have goals 3 and 4 the wrong way round

RidgeRider

Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 21, 2013, 06:42:41 PM
My original posting criticising "Stek" was LOCKED by LBno11.  All my subsequent posts were moved into the same locked thread and opinion, debate, was thwarted because Stek is regarded as highly as The Queen, on this message board and one would say, NOWHERE ELSE!

His average now is 3 goals a game!

Nick, I locked your thread because it was causing distress on this board because of your posting style and your banging on endlessly. Your point had been made, and it ran its course. We will continue to do so if you continue in your caustic and self-congradulating style. It's not what you communicate, it's how you do it.

Also, I MERGED your threads because they were repetitive to the point of being annoying...much like your posting style, they were not removed. Get your facts straight. I will continue to do so if you continue to throw up threads that are identical to ones you've already created.

Martinsback

Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 21, 2013, 06:34:12 PM
Wait!! "Stek" is royalty on this board.  One is not allowed to post a genuinely held view regarding him, nor compare him to Mark Schwarzer who Jol disgracefully GAVE to Chelsea

I've been vilified for being critical of good ol' Stek because he is lauded in this tiny portion of the galaxy whether he fumbles a shot, gets beaten at the near post, reacts too late, or too soon, gets his angles wrong, palms the ball back into dangerous areas, or whatever.

That said, I'm not overly blaming him for any of the goals today apart from the fourth which somehow went through him.....

Nick I haven't seen you show me a name before, have you shown other users a name, have you named Steklenberg to other people?

HatterDon

I'm sorry. In the match I watched, we were beaten by a better team. Stek might have stopped a goal, but it was defensive lapses by Amorebieta and Hughes that led to two goals he couldn't have touched, each of which gave City a two-goal lead.

I'm Stockdale's biggest fan, but I'm comfortable with Stek out there.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: andrewscott on December 22, 2013, 12:37:09 AM
I think you have goals 3 and 4 the wrong way round

You're definitely right on that Great Scott.  If we can cut out those basic defensive errors, we will be out out of trouble in no time.
Nogood "not concentrated, isit" Boyo

Ichabod Magoo

The defenders have been playing with their heads on a swivel.  There are times when they seem to be moving in slow motion or just observing while the offensive players are zipping the ball where-ever they wish.  That's not an excuse for Stek, but the defense has more issues than his performance.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

JHaynes Paperboy

Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 21, 2013, 06:34:12 PM
Wait!! "Stek" is royalty on this board.  One is not allowed to post a genuinely held view regarding him, nor compare him to Mark Schwarzer who Jol disgracefully GAVE to Chelsea

I've been vilified for being critical of good ol' Stek because he is lauded in this tiny portion of the galaxy whether he fumbles a shot, gets beaten at the near post, reacts too late, or too soon, gets his angles wrong, palms the ball back into dangerous areas, or whatever.

That said, I'm not overly blaming him for any of the goals today apart from the fourth which somehow went through him.....

It's not so much in what you say, I think that it is the arrogant way you say it.

callumc513

Quote from: Stefano Okaka Chuka on December 21, 2013, 07:21:38 PM
Err...did anybody saw the same game as me? He may be at fault for the third goal, but he pulled off a couple of good saves before and looked calm and assured. He has been surely one of our best players until now.

Agreed, he also made the most saves yesterday of any keeper in the league.

Julius Geezer

Stekelenburg was only at fault for the Navas goal.

People like to use the keeper as a scapegoat, it's an easy target to vent frustration.

Man City had far too much fire power for our ageing defence, it's that simple.

Jamie88

This is a tough one for me. One the one hand, he always appears to make some pretty good saves every match, but then he has of late made plenty of errors so I would say he should be dropped at Stockdale given a go again.

Berserker

I'm a big fan of David and would like to see him play more. Saying that I doubt that he would have done better than Stekelenberg with either Everton or Man City
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.