watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stekelenburg

Started by Denver Fulham, December 21, 2013, 06:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denver Fulham

He's been subpar in the last two matches, and cost us points today. He has zero command of his box and stays rooted to his line, which doesn't at all help our very fragile central defense. If you're going to be defined as a "shot stopper," then you have to do better than a soft palm of a header right into traffic and getting nutmegged for the third goal.

We can blame the defenders all we want (and they deserve a good deal of it), but a huge part of goalkeeping is organization of the defense and command of the box, and Stek at this point is failing in both areas.

Deanothefulhamfan

Stockdale definitley needs to be recalled.... Steklenberg has been awful. I hate to say it but Nick Bateman was spot on with his critical analysis of our current number 1.

He has a poor defense infront of him but he is a major weakness imo

BillNRoc

Maybe it's not a great idea to import players who excel in the Dutch league (yes, Bryan, I do mean you, too).

ScalleysDad

A keeper commanding the box, both verbally and physically, is becoming a dying art. When Shwarz was in goal there was a choice of seven languages between him and the back four with Senderos in it but there was still no call or commanding "Keepers ball!", "Out!" or "Man on!". We have not heard Sket at all and the number of 'will he won't he come out' moments are getting ridiculous. I am not saying it is all down to him. The back four do not shout for the ball or yell support or information and it is quite clear the telepathy coaching is not working. This is not likely to change with the return of Hangers as if he is taking command it is in whispers. I suppose the counter argument is that all the players should know where to be and when but from time to time we are shooting ourselves in both feet for the want of a yell.  

Nick Bateman

Wait!! "Stek" is royalty on this board.  One is not allowed to post a genuinely held view regarding him, nor compare him to Mark Schwarzer who Jol disgracefully GAVE to Chelsea.  

I've been vilified for being critical of good ol' Stek because he is lauded in this tiny portion of the galaxy whether he fumbles a shot, gets beaten at the near post, reacts too late, or too soon, gets his angles wrong, palms the ball back into dangerous areas, or whatever.

That said, I'm not overly blaming him for any of the goals today apart from the fourth which somehow went through him.....
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

alexbishop

wasted valuable transfer funds IMO when stockdale could do the same job at no cost.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Nick Bateman

My original posting criticising "Stek" was LOCKED by LBno11.  All my subsequent posts were moved into the same locked thread and opinion, debate, was thwarted because Stek is regarded as highly as The Queen, on this message board and one would say, NOWHERE ELSE!

His average now is 3 goals a game!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

MJG

Quote from: alexbishop on December 21, 2013, 06:34:56 PM
wasted valuable transfer funds IMO when stockdale could do the same job at no cost.
100% agree. He may be a good keeper, but I have seen nothing that shows we would have got less pts with Stockdale in goal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

GrahamG

I think Stek has been a real liability - not that anyone would like playing behind our back four.

Stefano Okaka Chuka

Err...did anybody saw the same game as me? He may be at fault for the third goal, but he pulled off a couple of good saves before and looked calm and assured. He has been surely one of our best players until now.
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

Buffalo76

Expected a lot more from a goalkeeper who's played in a World Cup Final. Not been convinced so far. Big letdown.

Bedford White

I doubt there is a keeper in this league who could do any better behind our fragile defence.

JBH

Quote from: Stefano Okaka Chuka on December 21, 2013, 07:21:38 PM
Err...did anybody saw the same game as me? He may be at fault for the third goal, but he pulled off a couple of good saves before and looked calm and assured. He has been surely one of our best players until now.
:plus one:
Christ knows what some of the posters ( I was going to say muppets but they may ban me) watch?

Travers Barney

Quote from: Bedford White on December 21, 2013, 07:24:58 PM
I doubt there is a keeper in this league who could do any better behind our fragile defence.

Fair enough but be a real plus if he occasionally left his line to give the blokes in front of him a bit of confidence......was critical of Stuckdale because he was rooted to his line...this blokes the same but makes more mistakes...oh for someone with MS's authority.

coyw
We are the whites

filham

We are shipping goals badly and have the worse defensive record in the premiership, the keeper has been at fault a few times and perhaps Stockdale should be given a couple of games but remember he too was guilty of not coming off his line for crosses.

A change in keeper will not solve all our defensive problems.

b+w geezer

Quote from: filham on December 21, 2013, 08:09:19 PM
A change in keeper will not solve all our defensive problems.
I agree, and with the rest of your response in general, but that includes the implication that there is less to choose between the two of them than we expected. In theory Steck should be much the superior, but signs of that are still awaited and it's getting to the stage when they are no longer anticipated.

KP_FFC

i think he's been quite good, yes he may be at fault for 1 or 2 goals but he has produced some sublime saves that most keepers would have let in

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: alexbishop on December 21, 2013, 06:34:56 PM

10000000000000000000000000000% in agreement. 

bill taylors apprentice

He was at fault today, but overall he is an improvement.
In the modern game we need his better distribution, if we can get better players in defense this will be an asset, long term.  

Sgt Fulham

He should have done better with the third goal but I think he's a good goalkeeper. Most of the people who think Stockdale is better would moan for Stek back upon his first mistake.