News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FIFA's new white lines - now you see them, now you don't..!

Started by LBNo11, December 22, 2013, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

FIFA have decided on the change they will apply to the next world cup. You know the one, the one that spoils football that little bit more. The one that makes you "what the heck, get on with it".
Referees will be using spray to make where free kicks should be taken from. Not sure if they will use a the same spray in a line marking barrow to mark where the wall at a free kick at stand or indeed paint brush or roller. The paint goes clear after a minute or three.

(taken from an excellent facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/Footballnostalgia/1416646821906161/?notif_t=group_activity )
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

jarv

Actually, it might speed up things, forcing the wall back quickly. If they don't retreat, a yellow is possible. Personally, I would like to see more free kicks taken quickly, before time wasting setting up walls.

LBNo11

Quote from: jarv on December 22, 2013, 01:27:54 PM
Actually, it might speed up things, forcing the wall back quickly. If they don't retreat, a yellow is possible. Personally, I would like to see more free kicks taken quickly, before time wasting setting up walls.

...actually I agree, I'd rather watch action rather than inaction, I just would like to know how they measure the distance so that it is fair each time and for each side, what is the yardstick if you were...

ToodlesMcToot

It simplifies that whole process. They've used this in the Mexican Lge for a few years now. Ref sprays where the foul was committed, then walks off his ten paces - usually right past the wall - sprays another line for the wall to toe.

It does seem to speed things up. And there's a "make no bones about it" kind of message to the players. No more creeping up on the kick taker.

I never took the impression that it was robbing the game of anything.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

PokerMatt

Saw this in the U21 (I think) tournament at the end of the summer. I was surprised how effective it was, almost as if the line would give the players a shock if they went in front of it.

Agree the measuring out could be a problem, but that's no different from now.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: PokerMatt on December 22, 2013, 03:18:57 PM
Saw this in the U21 (I think) tournament at the end of the summer. I was surprised how effective it was, almost as if the line would give the players a shock if they went in front of it.

But measuring out isn't really a problem is it. The same ref is walking off the same 10 paces for each free kick. That part of it doesn't change from the present method. The only thing that changes is that it's obvious now to the ref where he originally placed the ball and the wall. The players don't have the ability to cheat as much in free kick situations.

LBNo11

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 22, 2013, 04:05:52 PM

But measuring out isn't really a problem is it. The same ref is walking off the same 10 paces for each free kick. That part of it doesn't change from the present method. The only thing that changes is that it's obvious now to the ref where he originally placed the ball and the wall. The players don't have the ability to cheat as much in free kick situations.

...I think we can usually recognise certain refs are prone to favour, how should we put it, the bigger teams, and the conjecture will remain whether such refs ten paces are larger or smaller to suit the top teams advantage. The technology to measure accurately preset distances using a laser beam does exist which would make such arguments invalid, we just have to wait for Blatter to have a shared interest in such a system...

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 22, 2013, 04:20:40 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 22, 2013, 04:05:52 PM

...I think we can usually recognise certain refs are prone to favour, how should we put it, the bigger teams, and the conjecture will remain whether such refs ten paces are larger or smaller to suit the top teams advantage. The technology to measure accurately preset distances using a laser beam does exist which would make such arguments invalid, we just have to wait for Blatter to have a shared interest in such a system...

I'm certain there is favoritism in the marking off of free kicks. Totally agree. The spray does offer value in that it removes the impact of favoritism in allowing certain teams to infringe on that ten paces.

alfie

this can also apply to throw in's, how many do we see that go out near the corner flag but by the time it's taken were on the 18 yard line.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

grandad

They should do as they do in American football & have a chain gang to position the 10 yards. There is no way 2 different refs can accurately pace out the distance.
Where there's a will there's a wife

fulhamben

Quote from: grandad on December 22, 2013, 05:03:37 PM
They should do as they do in American football & have a chain gang to position the 10 yards. There is no way 2 different refs can accurately pace out the distance.
Quote from: grandad on December 22, 2013, 05:03:37 PM
I don't know, you got the digital 10 yard circle come up on some games and the refs are pretty close everytime.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bulgariawhite

THIS DOESN'T TAKE AWAY WHETHER THE REF MADE THE RIGHT DECISION IN THE FIRST PLACE, BUT i AGREE IT'S INTRODUCTION SHOULD BE MADE

Sheepskin Junior

For me, carrying the thing around would be a nightmare. However, it does reduce one smaller aspect of cheating in the 'beautiful' game (everybody cheer). As for pacing out, I think that each referee does it to the best of his or her ability, we're not supplied with a tape measure so it's a guess really
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

HatterDon

They were doing this in France a couple seasons back. It's a good idea and it won't harm the sod ...

... it might even help him.  :Get Coat gif:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LBNo11

Quote from: HatterDon on December 24, 2013, 03:51:36 PM
They were doing this in France a couple seasons back. It's a good idea and it won't harm the sod ...

... it might even help him.  :Get Coat gif:

:005:  0001.jpeg

jmh

They've been doing this in MLS for a while now too.  It's great, no ambiguity about where the ball is supposed to be and where the wall is supposed to stand.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Even if it does disappear after a few minutes, Stokes pitch will still look like a plasterers radio for 90mins every other Saturday.

ToodlesMcToot

Anyone who still doubts the value of this free kick spray need only look at Kasami's free kick and the full yard or so which the Norwich wall encroached into the free kick area after the ref blew his whistle. The ref watched the entire time and did nothing because it's accepted for some strange reason.

Served them right....the goal.

Vinnieffc

How long has Nigella Lawson been a FIFA Referee ???  :022:

Still believe

Seen this a few times in South American games... personally quite like it as the ball is often moved in freekicks & defenders edge forward, from what I've seen this makes these things clearer... whether the refs then act on this is a different matter!