News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

England squad, be honest and answer this question.

Started by jarv, June 02, 2010, 07:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

Way back when, one would attend a match and pay just to see ONE player on the pitch. Best, Maradona, Gascoigne, Giggs, Shearer, Dalglish, even Stan Bowles was worth the asdmission.

I have looked at the final squad and there is NOT ONE player would make me say "wow, must go to watch that guy".  Before you say Rooney, I watched him live when at Everton (in anticipation of this young superstar).....he was the worst player on the pitch, subbed out early.

Nmae who you would pay your hard earned cash to watch, forego the bbq cook out with your mates. Your choice, spend 50 quid to watch one of these wasters or a night down the pub with your mates. No contest.

LRCN

rooney/gerrard/lampard. If you appreciate attacking full backs johnson and cole are two of the best. our team isn't anywhere near as bad as people make out.

jarv

Not saying the team is bad. I would not part with money to watch any of the names mentioned mr. lork. Unless of course, it was against Fulham.  

JBH

ROONEY is class but the others like Lampard and Gerrard are not what they use to be.

Any team that has Heskey in it is never going to be worth watching anyway  :61:

WhiteJC

Rooney and Gerrard are both "world class", I'd struggle to name another though, I agree with Lork in as much as the team isn't as bad as some make out

jarv

A lot depends on the boss. If he is as good as Roy he will get them to over achieve.

flynny

talk about cruyf talk about backenbauer its batesy batesy its jamie batesy its jamie batesy.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Lork on June 02, 2010, 07:28:16 PM
rooney/gerrard/lampard. If you appreciate attacking full backs johnson and cole are two of the best. our team isn't anywhere near as bad as people make out.

Also Crouch, if one is a connoisseur of the Victorian freak show  :dft011: (kidding, think he's a great player actually).

You're right - it seems England has gone from a nation of blind optimists to a nation of Lighthouse! We've got a decent squad, and I don't think there are many players you'd kick out of the Fulham squad if we could afford them (bar Heskey, maybe). If you look at most squads in the WC, barring maybe Spain/Brazil (Argentina maybe, too), there are only a handful of genuinely "world class" players (whatever that means) and then the rest is of a high, but nothing to write home about, standard.

flynny

rooney and gerrard rest very average.Milner will make step up in this world cup.Hes going to be big that boy hopefully not at man u or liverpool.glen johnson is shite and as for ferdy not a better player than led king while a hole up his arse.ashley cole probably keeping an eye out for that.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: jarv on June 02, 2010, 07:45:00 PM
A lot depends on the boss. If he is as good as Roy he will get them to over achieve.

I think Jarv has got it in one.. As a non-Englishman I looked at the squad and thought competent if not  overwhelming.. But I reckon if Capello has an inkling of Woys ability (and I think he has) I reckon it's a well balanced squad.. So I reckon you guys have a great chance.. I reckon semi's at least.. Good luck England..

HatterDon

The England players I'd pay to see from this group:

1. Rooney
2. Gerrard
3. Johnson
4. Cash-hole
5. King

Those guys are special talents and, when in form, can be great fun to watch.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 02, 2010, 07:40:58 PM
Rooney and Gerrard are both "world class", I'd struggle to name another though, I agree with Lork in as much as the team isn't as bad as some make out
I have to agree with this post if I am being honest.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Jimpav

I'm not going to make any pretences about us having a chance of winning the world cup but we do have a few excellent players and enough to deservedly put us up there with the other front runners.

Rooney is a class act and I'm sure if he was Scottish you would be piping a different tune Jarv. He is more skillful than Shearer and I have no doubt that he will equal his goal scoring exploits if not better them.

Yes we have our fair share of overrated players and the strength of the squad is somewhat diluted but you make the best of the situation.

I would like to say club before country but let's be honest it's a
nonsense argument. Until England play Fulham then I will continue to support both.

Normally I wouldn't go off on such a tangent about this but I was chatting to my brothers mate tonight and he is off to South Africa for the world cup, hard not to be envious and I'm sure whatever team you paid £50 to watch it would be a great experience.

Lighthouse

In a Country that thought Becks was a superstar this lot are not fit to tie the boot straps of any player you used to want to see. Millionaires whose first touch is poor at best. As I have said before if this England side stepped out at the Cottage in the Prem against Fulham I would be shocked not to come away with A RESULT.

Of coarse this England team are not as bad as some make out. They really couldn't be. But they are poor. Our only hope is that they find form at the World Cup. But pay money to see them? No way.

Rooney has natural skill and is head and shoulders above anything else we have. But he has a brain of a thick ape and that sadly makes him less than he could or should be.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Jimpav on June 02, 2010, 11:12:00 PM

I would like to say club before country but let's be honest it's a
nonsense argument. Until England play Fulham then I will continue to support both.

Wasn't there a Fulham v England testimonial match once (maybe for Les Strong?). Remember reading it in TOOFIF a few issues ago.

Lighthouse

If a Fulham player plays for a Country against England I would want him to play well and be happy if he scored the winner or saved the goal chance.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

finnster01

Don't know if I honestly could agree with that one Mr Beamer.

I certainly would want them to do well, but would I like them to sink Old England?

The answer is probably not. You only have one country really and you do what you have to do to defend it. So watching those little lions come out to play makes me a little emotional and proud to be honest, even if they have scum like John Terry in there. I can actually stomach Fat Frank, but John Terry is stretching it. That man is a disgrace no matter which country he is from. I didn't go to war for people like him. :014:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

clintclintdeuce

I dont know where you lot get off complaining about having arguably the best squad in the tournament. This is the all star team from the best league in the world hands down.(besides between the sticks..) They have limitless potential if they are on song, AND WOULD BE AT LEAST EVEN MONEY IN NEUTRAL GROUND AGAINST EVERY TEAM IN THE TOURNAMENT IF NOT HUGE FAVORITES AGAINST THE MAJORITY OF THEM. 
The Dude abides.

McBridefan1

I'd pay to watch Wolcott... oh wait, :doh: he's not there... ya I guess you're right...  :dft012:

McBridefan1

Quote from: finnster01 on June 03, 2010, 01:55:05 AM
Don't know if I honestly could agree with that one Mr Beamer.

I certainly would want them to do well, but would I like them to sink Old England?

The answer is probably not. You only have one country really and you do what you have to do to defend it. So watching those little lions come out to play makes me a little emotional and proud to be honest, even if they have scum like John Terry in there. I can actually stomach Fat Frank, but John Terry is stretching it. That man is a disgrace no matter which country he is from. I didn't go to war for people like him. :014:

I agree... Terry probably is stretching it, I think he is a sex addict. He can go to meetings with Tiger. Seriously though I agree with your sentiment.