watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Just what were we playing on Saturday?

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, April 14, 2014, 02:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhys Lightning 63

When I saw the lineup, I thought it was 4-4-1-1 (because that's the way the Fulham Twitter feed presented it). However when the game played out, it looked more like a wing back 5-3-2, which is how the MOTD graphic portrayed it as well. Now I'm reading in The Mail, that it was 3-1-4-2.

Can anyone come up with a definitive answer?
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

grandad

I think Felix was playing clever by changing things during the game. Norwich were not allowed to settle themselves into a set pattern. Some were saying that our players were arguing with each other but I feel they were passing on instructions to each other. Whatever it was it worked.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ChesterTheTabby

The introduction of England's first Mobile Gaffer - a coach who doesn't come out with a set team and formation (Jol) but rather trains his players to be fit beyond belief because he will change formations throughout the game to change things up, forcing players into new roles requiring more or less movement, tackles, running, etc.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: grandad on April 14, 2014, 02:16:19 PM
I think Felix was playing clever by changing things during the game. Norwich were not allowed to settle themselves into a set pattern. Some were saying that our players were arguing with each other but I feel they were passing on instructions to each other. Whatever it was it worked.

I will praise him for picking the right players to give himself a bit of flexibility depending on the situation. Just a little confusing when Sascha Riether pops up as a right winger all of a sudden
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

ToodlesMcToot

whatever it was he was doing with the formations, I hope that we do not continue doing it. we were very lucky not to give up goal(s) in that first half. only Stockdale's brilliant keeping stood between us and a disastrous result. of course, that is what he is there for and paid to do but, we were an utter mess for large stretches of the game.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

RidgeRider

We were 3 at the back for a spell so there was no set formation, it changed at least 3 times.

Zu-Meister

FPT

3142 was the plan.

But it looked like it was just planned on Wednesday, though Norwich's pressing made it difficult.

MJG

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on April 14, 2014, 02:07:14 PM
When I saw the lineup, I thought it was 4-4-1-1 (because that's the way the Fulham Twitter feed presented it). However when the game played out, it looked more like a wing back 5-3-2, which is how the MOTD graphic portrayed it as well. Now I'm reading in The Mail, that it was 3-1-4-2.

Can anyone come up with a definitive answer?
I think it was more the 3-1-4-2 with Diarra sitting. That lasted about 15 mins and then it went more like a 5-3-2, finally going to 4-4-1-1 just before HT

It didn't work and they looked lost, Richardson was neither at the back or getting forward and SR was just moaning at JH for not getting behind him.

Anyway we got 3 pts.

FPT

------------Stockdale-------------
Heitinga----Hangeland----Amorebieta
--------------Diarra---------------
Riether---Sidwell---Holtby---Richardson
--------------Kasami-----------------
--------------Rodallega--------------

Sort of like that. Then Kasami went onto the right flank, with Riether-Heitinga-Hangeland-Amorebieta making the back four, and Holtby pushed up behind Rodallega, Dejagah came on to create:

--------------Stockdale------------------
Riether--Heitinga---Hangeland---Amorebieta
Dejagah---Sidwell----Diarra-------Richardson
-----------------Holtby-------------------
----------------Rodallega

Then obviously, Parker came on for Holtby, so Diarra slotted in-front of the back four, with Sidwell and Parker ahead of him, presumably also having Spurs in mind, as well as tightening up the midfield.

Burt

The three at the back wasn't doing it for me...

Riether looked particularly out of sorts, until he dropped back to his usual.

At least Felix had the balls to change it, rather than kept on with it to try and make it work.

Baszab

Credit to Magath who changed the formation to counter Norwich's very attacking start to the game

Brilliant performance by Diarra who protected Hangeland for the first hour until knackered

Shame but Riether not good enough any more as our right back

Great push by Amorebieta to enable Hangeland to make that important block in second half - surely it was a certain penalty ?

Shredhead

Quote from: Baszab on April 14, 2014, 04:49:32 PM
Credit to Magath who changed the formation to counter Norwich's very attacking start to the game

Brilliant performance by Diarra who protected Hangeland for the first hour until knackered

Shame but Riether not good enough any more as our right back

Great push by Amorebieta to enable Hangeland to make that important block in second half - surely it was a certain penalty ?
When I saw Match of the Day, I thought it was a pen as well, but the 'pundits' didn't even mention it. The Norwich player was the cheddar in a white bread sarnie, with a liberal sprinkling of carrot chutney (football boots).
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC