watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Must Win Game - Neutral fans

Started by GrahamG, April 28, 2014, 01:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrahamG

Mainly for health reasons allied to a hatred of the management skills of Martin Jol I didn't renew my season ticket this year. I've seen 6 games (as a member) and suffer far more at home listening on match days or trying to avoid hearing the bad news. Having been seriously ill again recently I decided last minute to go to the Hull game and could only get a ticket in the 'neutral' Putney End. What a horrible experience! I was about 5 seats away from the City fans, who were a decent bunch and, I noticed, were allowed to stand throughout without challenge from any stewards. In the neutral area there were pockets of FFC fans, then some City fans and the whole lot interspersed with lots of tourists. Pretty much what you'd expect.

It's really frustrating to to be in such an area, particularly for such a vital and, ultimately, depressing game. When Long scored (what was our left back doing by the way?) I was surrounded by delirious City fans while I was just sitting there completely stunned and devastated. I guess the reason we have done it this way is to guarantee sell outs for most games but I've always thought it made us a laughing stock and it really isn't any fun, unless you're a neutral I suppose.

This was my first Putney End experience since the days of being able to walk all around the ground. In those days, of course, many of us changed ends at half-time to always be behind the goal that Fulham were attacking.  That was in the pre-segregation
times and I am surprised that FFC are allowed to get away with the neutral area as well as no buffer between that and the official  block of away fans.

I have to say that had we held on to the 2-1 lead instead of collapsing in a heap at the end I don't suppose I'd be that bothered about where I'd sat and who I was with but, all in all, it was no fun at all.  That was probably my last visit to Craven Cottage, after 49 years, and it wasn't a great experience on any level!

6 points from the last 2 games will make me feel a lot better! COYW!

Bedford White

I've experienced the Putney end too, I took a work colleague to watch WBA last season, he's a baggies fan. We sat behind the goal and I didn't feel comfortable surrounded by away fans. I won't do that again.

My question is, will we be allowed a neutral end if we drop? I'd suggest not, as some of the teams we'll be playing have some unpleasant supporters. Thoughts?

Neil D

It would be a pity if it had to stop.  Our fans are not likely to attack opposing fans - it's not the Fulham way - so we have to trust that the opposing oiks are safely segregated in the away fans area.  Home and away fans should be able to sit in close proximity to one another without beating the crap out of each other - though nobody likes to have an away goal rubbed in their face.

Apprentice to the Maestro

The reason we have a neutral end is partly to do with the structure of our ground and because we don't attract enough fans.

Craven Cottage is unusual in the it has turnstiles only on one side of the ground whereas most clubs would have entrances on 2,3 or 4 sides. This makes it difficult to separate out the away fans from the home and the neutrals.

Yes, it will be different in the neutral end but think of it like the `good old days' of Johnny Haynes and before where every part of the ground would be a mix of home, away and neutral fans.

For those who say it makes us a `laughing stock' I am inclined to say `man up' and defend your club.

domprague

Hang on a minute. We have three home only stands and sell them out regularly. Having a 'neutral' area in the away end suggests that the away teams don't bring enough fans .
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Logicalman

There are a number of grounds that appear to have little else than a couple of rows of coppers as a separation barrier.

The fact that away fans stand the whole time, whilst the faithful are told to sit down with the threat of ejection sticks in my craw, as it shows the Stewards have the 'little hitler' syndrome, whereby to pick on those that will comply, and ignore those who would challenge their authority.

Perhaps there are many other things wrong with our club, but these are just some that go towards the matchday experience.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: domprague on April 28, 2014, 03:22:56 PM
Hang on a minute. We have three home only stands and sell them out regularly. Having a 'neutral' area in the away end suggests that the away teams don't bring enough fans .

I'm not sure of the rules but if we had enough season ticket holders then we would only need to allocate about 3,000 to the away fans which is probably about half the Putney End.

Baider

The whole idea of a 'neutral stand' is embarrassing. Complete joke.

NorfolkJim

Quote from: Baider on April 29, 2014, 02:52:26 PM
The whole idea of a 'neutral stand' is embarrassing. Complete joke.

Its bums on seats - money in the bank - and if we had more fans wouldn't be needed

alfie

The thought on being in the "neutral" zone if and when we play Birmingham, or Millwall is someone worrying, not something i would do.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

MJG

People get too hot under collar with this subject. I spent two years with. ST in either P1 or P2. The club see it now(or up to last 3 home games) as a mixed zone closest to the cottage.
The only fans I ever had issue with were Spurs. I sat with utd, Chelsea and everyone else. OK its better all together as one group but fact is we can't sell all those seats to fulham fans. We have needed the tourists and away fans.
As mentioned already the space available makes it impossible to seperate the fans below the stand. Only way would be to have access his Bishops Park. And that's not going to happen.
I do think the club should somehow make sure that P1-4 are fulham only but would be very difficult to enforce without causing too much trouble.

Riversider

A few Fulham fans on here have already indicated that they have bought season tickets in The Putney End next season, sorry but they deserve all the abuse and grief that they are surely going to get next season when the likes of Millwall, Leeds, Brentford, Forest,Birmingham,and Sheff Wednesday come to town !
Thousands of empty seats available in the 3 home stands, no reason for any Fulham fan with half a brain to be in The Putney End next season.

terryr

Quote from: Riversider on April 29, 2014, 05:39:40 PM
A few Fulham fans on here have already indicated that they have bought season tickets in The Putney End next season, sorry but they deserve all the abuse and grief that they are surely going to get next season when the likes of Millwall, Leeds, Brentford, Forest,Birmingham,and Sheff Wednesday come to town !
Thousands of empty seats available in the 3 home stands, no reason for any Fulham fan with half a brain to be in The Putney End next season.
Season ticket holders deserve abuse?
Especially if they have shown support to the team by buying/renewing at this time of uncertainty?
Really?????
:023:

tslyon

As a multiple time tourist to your lovely city, my one and only time I have made it to the Cottage, I spent my money and sat in the Riverside Stand.  I paid to get a deal with brunch and drinks at McBride's before the match.  It was a lovely lunch with good beer.  Once we got into the stands, I was by far the loudest and most animated person there.  Maybe it was because we didn't play particularly well (Swansea) but I was surprised at how little people cheered, yelled, sang, or whatever they may have been moved to do.  I had an enjoyable time (minus the loss) and cannot wait to return, but I'm not sure that a neutral zone is the only problem with fan support at the Cottage.

terryr

The last two games have been LOUD and Rocking, Everywhere in the Cottage (Riverside included)

epsomraver

Quote from: tslyon on April 29, 2014, 08:04:08 PM
As a multiple time tourist to your lovely city, my one and only time I have made it to the Cottage, I spent my money and sat in the Riverside Stand.  I paid to get a deal with brunch and drinks at McBride's before the match.  It was a lovely lunch with good beer.  Once we got into the stands, I was by far the loudest and most animated person there.  Maybe it was because we didn't play particularly well (Swansea) but I was surprised at how little people cheered, yelled, sang, or whatever they may have been moved to do.  I had an enjoyable time (minus the loss) and cannot wait to return, but I'm not sure that a neutral zone is the only problem with fan support at the Cottage.

You cannot compare the Riverside with the other stands at the cottage at all.
In regards to the post saying that if you choose to sit in the Putney end then not expecting abuse and having away fans next to you, it is not going to happen, that is why they are the cheapest of the tickets. I had to sit in that end for the Stoke game  and can safely say never again!

Riversider

Not strictly true on price, Putney End same price as Hammersmith End and some sections of Riverside Stand , so no excuse to be sat with Millwall and Leeds next season !
And certainly no reason to come on here complaining when it all goes horribly wrong .

Berserker

We are allowed to move our seats for individual games if we need to, so Millwall won't be a problem. Anyhow I'm going to hide behind Scalleysdad if there any problems!
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

epsomraver

Quote from: Riversider on April 29, 2014, 08:33:23 PM
Not strictly true on price, Putney End same price as Hammersmith End and some sections of Riverside Stand , so no excuse to be sat with Millwall and Leeds next season !
And certainly no reason to come on here complaining when it all goes horribly wrong .

IF the price is the same then why not move to the Hammersmith end? the reason is the view from H1 and Z1 which is priced the same is much  worse than P1

Shredhead

The neutral end is great for tourists (in the real sense). My mate is an academic at a top London university and he always tells foreign academics and students to go to the Cottage when they ask where they can see (ahem) Premiership football. In seasons past I've chosen to sit there when I've got tickets for mates who support away teams. And there are sometimes loads of school kids or junior football teams there. I actually liked being able to mix with away fans in situations like that - and they all thought it was pretty good as well. It's a small part of making football a bit more civilised (and I don't mean bland).

Plus, it's one of those things that makes us so Fulhamish.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC