watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Al Fayed

Started by PeterFFC, May 06, 2014, 05:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterFFC

Sorry if there is already a post about this, if so please delete it.
Just heard on the radio that Al Fayed said Magath is the wrong man for the job.
He also said he'd buy us back for 1/2 the price, and that he warned the club about taking away the lucky Michael Jackson statue.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

That MJ statue was shocking. Nothing lucky about it.
Of course he'd buy us back for 1/2 the price. He's a businessman and that is business sense.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

EJL

He's always been a bit mad, eh?

JDH101

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: JDH101 on May 06, 2014, 06:35:41 PM
I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

I'm grateful for what he did for the club prior to the last three seasons, but his hands are no longer clean. He's played his role in our demise (where PL sustainability is concerned). He made his choice to leave the club and us. It's done and dusted. I know he cares for the club on some level, but what good does he think he's doing it by second guessing things now that relegation has occurred? Poor form.

....and that damn statue had about as much luck in it as did the ant I accidently stepped on going to my car this morning.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

General

Fayed believes Fulham's demise can be put down to the "crazy" removal of the statue of singer Michael Jackson from Craven Cottage.

Manager Felix Magath laid the blame for relegation at the feet of Fulham's players for a lack of fighting spirit.

Cottagers fans expressed theories ranging from a lurch through three different bosses to the unwillingness of new owner Shahid Khan to splash the cash.

But Khan's flamboyant predecessor Al Fayed is convinced he knows the real reason why Fulham's 14-year stay in the Barclays Premier League came to an end last Saturday.

Al Fayed believes the Cottagers would still be in the top flight if Khan had not had the 7ft 6ins sculpture of Michael Jackson removed from outside Craven Cottage last November.

Al Fayed was speaking as he formally presented the statue of the late singer to the National Football Museum in Manchester, where it will stand proudly on a first-floor mezzanine.

He said: "This statue was a charm and we removed the luck from the club and now we have to pay the price.

"When (Khan) asked me to move it I said, 'you must be crazy'. This is such a fantastic statue which the fans are crying out for.

"But now he has paid the price because the club has been relegated. He called me because he told me he wanted Michael to return. I told him, no way."

The much-mocked statue was commissioned by Al Fayed and installed at the back of the Hammersmith Stand in 2011.

Al Fayed was a friend of Jackson and the singer even paid a visit to Craven Cottage when he attended a match between Fulham and Wigan in 1999.

But following Al Fayed's decision to sell the club to Indian tycoon Khan, he was told it was surplus to requirements and would have to be removed.

Speaking about its presentation to the National Football Museum, Al Fayed added: "This is a great place visited by thousands of people and I am very proud to present them with one of the greatest artists and singers in the world.

"Michael is a fantastic example for everyone. He came from nowhere and showed fantastic determination to be a superstar and I am very glad that he is now in this great institution for people to enjoy."

General

Cam we put the whole thing into perspective.. he was joking around when he said it... papers never put context to things.

Berserker

I thought ths statue was designed to go at Harrods and the MAF sold the shop
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

YankeeJim

Sorry if this is sacrilege but to me, he is no less a mercenary than Dempsey, Dembele, Saha or Hughes. Yes, he did good for Fulham but in the end who profited from that good? He is no different than the rest; only the latest.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: General on May 06, 2014, 06:52:23 PM
Cam we put the whole thing into perspective.. he was joking around when he said it... papers never put context to things.

Well, perhaps now is not the best time to joke about such things either.

mullers

Fayed has his role in our fall, just as he gave us a lot of fun.   

I hoped I wouldn't experience another relegation, but even with this last few days I wouldn't swap what we've been through. Ok, apart from a Europa win. And an F.A. Cup semi final win. And a Youth Cup win. Nothing else. Apart from no relegation.

HatterDon

Quote from: General on May 06, 2014, 06:50:17 PM
Fayed believes Fulham's demise can be put down to the "crazy" removal of the statue of singer Michael Jackson from Craven Cottage.

Manager Felix Magath laid the blame for relegation at the feet of Fulham's players for a lack of fighting spirit.

Cottagers fans expressed theories ranging from a lurch through three different bosses to the unwillingness of new owner Shahid Khan to splash the cash.

But Khan's flamboyant predecessor Al Fayed is convinced he knows the real reason why Fulham's 14-year stay in the Barclays Premier League came to an end last Saturday.

Al Fayed believes the Cottagers would still be in the top flight if Khan had not had the 7ft 6ins sculpture of Michael Jackson removed from outside Craven Cottage last November.

Al Fayed was speaking as he formally presented the statue of the late singer to the National Football Museum in Manchester, where it will stand proudly on a first-floor mezzanine.

He said: "This statue was a charm and we removed the luck from the club and now we have to pay the price.

"When (Khan) asked me to move it I said, 'you must be crazy'. This is such a fantastic statue which the fans are crying out for.

"But now he has paid the price because the club has been relegated. He called me because he told me he wanted Michael to return. I told him, no way."

The much-mocked statue was commissioned by Al Fayed and installed at the back of the Hammersmith Stand in 2011.

Al Fayed was a friend of Jackson and the singer even paid a visit to Craven Cottage when he attended a match between Fulham and Wigan in 1999.

But following Al Fayed's decision to sell the club to Indian tycoon Khan, he was told it was surplus to requirements and would have to be removed.

Speaking about its presentation to the National Football Museum, Al Fayed added: "This is a great place visited by thousands of people and I am very proud to present them with one of the greatest artists and singers in the world.

"Michael is a fantastic example for everyone. He came from nowhere and showed fantastic determination to be a superstar and I am very glad that he is now in this great institution for people to enjoy."

This sounds like an audio version of the DAILY MASH
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Of course MAF did give us Keegan, Tigana & Woy (2 of them going on to manage England)

Rather better & more successful for us than his last choice, the "chosen one" Jol & Khan's subsequent appointments Rene & Magath

So not all bad on MAF's part eh?

Jimpav

Is Khan Indian or Pakistani? I'm sure he was from Pakistan- pretty grave error by the reporter if he's wrong.

JBH

Thanks Mo but after the comments today he has obviously lost the plot!!

alexbishop

I thought Pakistan yes.

The MJ statute came after our Europa final yes? So actually it coincided with our downfall I believe...

I do love Al Fayed though. He must be sad we have been relegated surely?
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

epsomraver

On the BBC Mo has said if Khan offers him the club back at half price he will buy it back, he also says the MJ statue should have stayed as it was a lucky charm, Good old BBC with unerring accuracy speak of the statue that stood OUTSIDE our Craven cottage home

Felix Magath wrong man for Fulham - Mohamed Al Fayed

Felix Magath is not the right man to get relegated Fulham promoted from the Championship, according to former owner Mohamed Al Fayed.
The Cottagers were relegated after 13 years in the Premier League with Saturday's 4-1 defeat at Stoke .
Magath wants to stay on but Al Fayed does not believe the German can help the Cottagers bounce back.
Mohamed Al Fayed
Al Fayed had the Michael Jackson statue installed at Fulham in 2011.
"You need a manager who will deliver and I don't think this guy has got the charm or the personality," he said.
Al Fayed, who sold Fulham to Shahid Khan in July last year, added: "Players need someone very close. You saw me with the players in the changing room and when they're eating lunch, it was a very close relationship for the players to feel they want to sacrifice, play hard and want to deliver.
"They miss that now and I hope [Khan] wakes up. I tried to help him and advise him and put him on the right way.
"If he's lost hope and he offers it to me half price, fine I'm going to buy it back."
Al Fayed believes that Khan's decision to remove the "lucky" statue of Michael Jackson from Craven Cottage has backfired.
The 85-year-old has now donated the statue to the National Football Museum in Manchester.
He added: "When the new owner decided to move it I said 'Fine, it is a lucky thing, you will regret it later'.
Continue reading the main story
"
During the summer months there most certainly will be many changes within the club
"
Fulham manager Felix Magath
"Now the new owner will regret it because I warned him. I said 'You will pay with blood for that' because it was something loved by people.
"It was a big mistake but he paid for it now. He's been relegated and if he wakes up he'll ask for Michael Jackson again and I'll say 'No way'."
Magath has apologised for the defeat at the Britannia Stadium that sealed the club's relegation from the Premier League.
Play media

Magath apologises for Fulham relegation
The former Bayern Munich boss, 60, joined Fulham in February, but picked up just three wins in 11 league games.
In an open letter to fans,  Magath also vowed to stay on as manager and build a team able to return to the top flight.
"We as a team, and I include myself and management, would like to apologise for our bad performance," the German wrote.
"The reality is that we have been relegated, but my commitment and desire to Fulham remains.
"It certainly was not what you as fans were expecting and should rightfully demand of us, but we were unable to perform on the day, resulting in our downfall.
"During the summer months there most certainly will be many changes within the club. We obviously need to improve and redefine our playing staff. We have in our academy team, talented, young and hungry players."
Fulham's final game in the Premier League this season is a dead rubber against Crystal Palace at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

ToodlesMcToot

With all due respect to our former owner, if you wanted things done the way you think they should be done, then you shouldn't have sold the club.  I also notice that he's taking no responsibility for the state the club and roster was in when he sold it.

And, who on Earth knows all these people who were so in love with that silly statue? I don't recall seeing anyone there to protest it's removal.

In poor taste stating these things, though he has every right to do so.

HatterDon

Quote from: Jimpav on May 06, 2014, 08:38:38 PM
Is Khan Indian or Pakistani? I'm sure he was from Pakistan- pretty grave error by the reporter if he's wrong.

Pakistani, but British sports reporters don't have to worry about getting their facts right.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

PocketSwan

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 06, 2014, 06:57:59 PM
Sorry if this is sacrilege but to me, he is no less a mercenary than Dempsey, Dembele, Saha or Hughes. Yes, he did good for Fulham but in the end who profited from that good? He is no different than the rest; only the latest.

That does sound pretty ungrateful to be honest. Didn't you almost go out of business before Al Fayed took over- Within 4 years you were playing in the Premier League, and you have enjoyed a damn good run up there too. Mercenary??? To anyone unhappy at him selling up and making money I'd respond to that by saying the man is 85 years old! How long is he supposed to be chairman for? Better he moves on now than have him drop down dead at the helm... and fair play to the bloke, he got paid and left you in the hands of a man worth around £2.2billion- Don't hate. Football fans have a short memory.