watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Darren Bent

Started by Southcoastffc, May 15, 2014, 10:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

I think the club have not done themselves any favours by publishing an item on Darren Bent on the website.
http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/may/15/bent-fulham-will-bounce-back
Amongst his remarks are these pearls:

"I've enjoyed my time down here but obviously it hasn't gone as well as I would have liked," Bent told the official website. "I haven't played as much football as I would have liked.

"When I first came here I hoped it was going to be a case of playing fairly regularly, but it just wasn't meant to be. But, like I said, I enjoyed my time down here and I'll always wish the Club all the best."

One of the reasons that the former England striker found game time hard to come by was due to the emergence of young talent in his position.

Well that is ONE of the reasons I suppose...........
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Craven Mad

He just missed so many sitters!

He added little elsewhere, but he - to his credit - would get himself into goalscoring positions. But, my god, he did not know how to put the ball in the net..

I don't really have any ill-feeling towards him - I think he wanted to prove himself here - but I'm not disappointed he's off.

FFC1987

I still get the impression that he considers himself a big time charlie when really, he isn't anymore. He, out of all the players training now, should take it seriously and shed the pounds. He was once a prolific goalscorer that scared defenders...now, the opposite. No ill feeling towards him but he needs to sort himself out if he wants to perform at the highest level again.

RaySmith

He tried his best in the little game time he had, and did score some important goals for us, but his lack of confidence and match sharpness was apparent.

I wish him all the best.

MJG

Two things went wrong, Jol signed him without having any idea how he was going to be used.
Secondly he needed a run of games actually starting and we may have seen the player, who if you just look at his record, can score goals.

Its a pity it all went wrong, but we will sign players in the future who on paper look a decent buy and turn out crap, and likewise players who you think why have we signed him and turn out to be excellent.

cmg

A pleasant, polite, accurate and anodyne little piece, certainly not meriting any criticism either of himself or the club.

That he was not a success here is not in dispute, he has now gone and will not be missed. But there is nothing offensive or inappropriate about a polite goodbye.

the nutflush

Quote from: cmg on May 15, 2014, 11:27:57 AM

A pleasant, polite, accurate and anodyne little piece, certainly not meriting any criticism either of himself or the club.

That he was not a success here is not in dispute, he has now gone and will not be missed. But there is nothing offensive or inappropriate about a polite goodbye.

Gotta dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s. 

shnlwswlkr

Magath has the Fulham players back for training, why is Darren Bent there? He was a season long loan, the season is over? Surely he should be back at Villa now...
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

MJG

Quote from: shnlwswlkr on May 15, 2014, 11:59:03 AM
Magath has the Fulham players back for training, why is Darren Bent there? He was a season long loan, the season is over? Surely he should be back at Villa now...
Not seen that he is doing the extra training (if there is any) where was that link?

FPT

Quote from: MJG on May 15, 2014, 11:23:31 AM
Two things went wrong, Jol signed him without having any idea how he was going to be used.
Secondly he needed a run of games actually starting and we may have seen the player, who if you just look at his record, can score goals.

Its a pity it all went wrong, but we will sign players in the future who on paper look a decent buy and turn out crap, and likewise players who you think why have we signed him and turn out to be excellent.

:plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one:

It seemed the whole Jol transfer plan was "He's good, I'll bring him in." There was no logic apart from bringing in a load of talented players, he didn't know who was going to play what role, what was going to gel and all of that jazz. Very strange.

Macedo

Spot On...

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: shnlwswlkr on May 15, 2014, 11:59:03 AM

I think they've used an old picture to illustrate the article  

simplyfulham

Quote from: FFC1987 on May 15, 2014, 10:58:51 AM
I still get the impression that he considers himself a big time charlie when really, he isn't anymore. He, out of all the players training now, should take it seriously and shed the pounds. He was once a prolific goalscorer that scared defenders...now, the opposite. No ill feeling towards him but he needs to sort himself out if he wants to perform at the highest level again.

:plus one:

Absolutely the impression I got while reading the article.

Seems like he thought he would walk into the team and stroll in 15/20 goals this year. Case of the Zamora & the Bullard maybe? Did well for a bit and thought that was it. Then just coasted.

(the did alright bit referring to his time years ago at Sunderland. A time long gone)

bill taylors apprentice

Why oh why would you sign a player like Bent for a whole season on loan with his inflated wages and not have some kind of plan to play him?

Having said that, if he was really serious about reigniting his career he should have been doing extra training, begging to play some u21 games and making sure he was fitter than he was when he got the call. 

He was a drain on resources and provided nothing we couldn't have got from a youngster.

MayoDomo

Hated by the fans, and managers, and still has the maturity to wish us well.  I'm not saying Bent played well, but surely he tried and we should have to maturity to wish him well.
For Fulham News, Opinions, and Streaming Updates Follow me at https://twitter.com/MayoDomo!

alfie

Somehow I don't think you were party to want Jol thought but if you were please let us know.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

YankeeJim

There was a reason why Bent was out of favor at a weak Villa squad. It is all too obvious now. However, in Jol's defense, how many players have had a turnaround with a new team? He was worth the gamble. An in form Bent with a Berbatov who gave a rats arse would have been a thing to see.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Tonywa

Quote from: FPT on May 15, 2014, 01:07:38 PM

:plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one: :plus one:

It seemed the whole Jol transfer plan was "He's good, I'll bring him in." There was no logic apart from bringing in a load of talented players, he didn't know who was going to play what role, what was going to gel and all of that jazz. Very strange.

Hate to say, but  I told you so at the time. A seemingly random purchase of players without any thought at to how they would play together or what system they would fit in to. The thought of a side containing Tarabt, Ruiz and Berbatov was just too bizarre to contemplate.  Extraordinary really from someone with Jol's experience in the game.

Tonywa

I seem to remember that Jol left Bent out the the team at the start of the season because he said he was not 100 per cent fit.  Nine months later and Magath was saying exactly the same thing about him. Shame for it was a gamble, which had it paid off, would have probably been enough to keep us in the division even with our defensive frailties.

JackyFulham90

I was excited by the signing of Darren Bent shame it didn't work out