watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

SIDWELL LEAVES

Started by Riversider, May 15, 2014, 11:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Tomorrow's Mirror is reporting that Steve Sidwell is about to sign a 2 year deal to join Mark Hughes at Stoke City, reads like a done deal.

Admin

Said ages ago that he had a Stoke or West Ham written all over him.

Forever Fulham

I didn't like Hughes when he was Fulham's manager.  I found him aloof, uncommunicative, a bit stiff.  I recall Dempsey was positive about him, and a few other players spoke positively about their time under his leadership.  But I just couldn't warm to the guy.  The 'no ambition' comment, et al.  I got caught up in the herd mentality, with everyone downing him after he left.  Now I see what he's accomplished with Stoke, and the players he's bringing in, and, I have to say, he's doing a good job, and I was wrong about his managerial abilities.  Makes me wonder how far back did MAF determine to conserve funds and sell the club when the opportunity arose.

JackyFulham90

Steve Sidwell would be a good signing for Stoke especially on a free transfer

Admin

And we'll be left with the 33 -34 year old Scott Parker.

PeterFFC

Northern Cottager

If anybody has earnt a chance to stay in the Premier League for the last few years of their careers it's Sidwell. Shame it'll be for Stoke...

Northern Cottager

Quote from: Admin on May 15, 2014, 11:19:51 PM
And we'll be left with the 33 -34 year old Scott Parker.

And Tunnicliffe and Chris David! Not all too bad!

Admin

Quote from: PeterFFC on May 15, 2014, 11:21:07 PM
If we are left with Parker...

He ain't going nowhere. Almost 34, legs are gone, 2 years to run on his current contract, and suposedly on 55k a week, his boy is in our academy. Fulham is a great place for him right now!!

BedsFFC

I see this as a win win situation. I like the guy and wish him well. To be honest, I prefer my central midfielders more comfortable on the ball and better passers. That said, he is epitome of a British midfielder and for that, i wish him all the best

EJL

Admin

I believe he was also subject to a pay-cut if he stayed at Fulham, but at Stoke, being a free agent and all, he'll get a decent wage. At 31, he'll want a last big payday, but Fulham won't pay him 50 odd K in the Championship, which is rumored that he wanted. Anyway, out with the deadwood, in with the new. 

millsy

Read an article just before our Stoke debacle, containing some quotes from an interview with Hughes. Firstly, he repeated an old comment that he now feels he shouldn't have left Fulham when he did, saying it was probably a mistake on his part. He liked it at FFC and regrets his comment re. Ambition, which the press built up and it made him look arrogant.

The other thing he said in this interview was new to me. Explaining why he walked out, Hughes said that he was aware of an impending change of ownership and this reinforced the doubt in his mind about the investment he felt the squad needed in order to meet his and the clubs aims.

My question is, how come he knew, when nobody else seemed to know, why the wallet had been firmly closed? Presumably, our CEO knew more than our then Manager but was happy to bumble along, hiring a new Manager and watching the ship slowly sink in the water. More importantly, when the sale went through, he and his team seemed, somehow, to have reassured Mr.Khan that all was well and the plans in place would see us through just fine.

I know it's always easier with the benefit of hindsight but we could all see what a mess we were in at the time and either our Mgt team were in denial or in ignorance of our plight, as they took no action and did not press our new owner to do so. The result is now clear for all to see.

In my view, someone should throw themselves on their sword for steering our wonderful club into such a dire position as we now find ourselves in. hopefully, after the clear-out, we may be lucky enough to bounce back. If not, a few people have a lot to answer for.

What is also interesting to me is that we have heard absolutely nothing from the man who runs our club. If he has a defence against all that is being laid at his door, I wish he would be man enough to speak out and give his version of events. I come from a corporate banking background and any MD or CEO worth his salt, would be expected to and happy to communicate with stakeholders, to explain why their company has had a bad year and not only spell out what went wrong but set out what is being done to put things right.

Not holding my breath.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Admin on May 15, 2014, 11:25:17 PM
Quote from: PeterFFC on May 15, 2014, 11:21:07 PM
If we are left with Parker...

He ain't going nowhere. Almost 34, legs are gone, 2 years to run on his current contract, and suposedly on 55k a week, his boy is in our academy. Fulham is a great place for him right now!!
This is the key point. Sidwell to my mind is a lower table premiership footballer (perfect for Stoke as a squad player) but we are left with a player in the middle..Parker.. who won't even grace the Championship. Please, please someone, take him away from us.  

Jack Fulham

Good in a sense that we won't have to see Parker and Sidwell playing together next season. Sidwell will go back to being the bench warmer he was prior to joining us. Don't blame him for leaving but possibly one of the few older player I would of kept. We willl have a more progressive midfield without him though.

Fernhurst

When we consider this past season, it would appear " deadwood" is not an apt description of Sidders.
It is even less surprising he is the first of our number to be picked off.

Never a smooth or inventive passer of the football but a really good honest  pro who scored more frequently than our now loaned superstars.

If this indeed turns from rumour to fact, he leaves with our best wishes for the final couple of seasons of his career.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Lighthouse

Thanks for the great work you did Steve and good luck.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

love4ffc

Wish him all the best. He deserves to stay in the up.  Agree though that I wish it Parker instead of him going. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

zschwartz

disappointing if true but understandable. i think he'd enjoy the championship in a brutal/thankless sort of way... if he stays and if we earn promotion he has the chance to be a legend but i guess nobody is interested in a pay cut. best time to go if he's going.

Denver Fulham

Can the club convince Parker to take an assistant coaching role?

And if Steve stays in the Prem, good for him. He put in an honest shift. It's not his fault that he was our best player this season, warts and all.