watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tim Hoogland -new right back signs

Started by RaySmith, June 25, 2014, 10:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Last season seems to have been something of a comeback season for this guy. He'd started off as an extremely promising young defender and then was hit by a horror show of illness and injury. He got promotion with Mainz was transferred back to Schalke then missed the best part of two seasons with Pancreatitis (which doesn't sound at all nice). Having recovered from this he then missed the front half of the next season with a torn ankle ligament.

Obviously a Reither replacement, let's hope he has better luck on the health front and that we entrusted the medical to someone other than Dr. Hugo Z. Hackenbush.

twang

Quote from: Twig on June 25, 2014, 11:58:44 AM
Why are people saying "quite a capture" or "rebuilding continues", or "well done FFC!" etc etc?  Am I missing something, as I understand it this is a guy who has generally failed to get into the Schalke starting line up.  Or am I wrong about that?

He made 22 appearances for Schalke last season, and played regularly at right back in second half of the season.

Black, White and Fred

Why are people saying "quite a capture" or "rebuilding continues", or "well done FFC!" etc etc?  Am I missing something, as I understand it this is a guy who has generally failed to get into the Schalke starting line up.  Or am I wrong about that?

if he was in the position to break into the Schalke team he wouldn't be joining us in the championship.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Lighthouse

Welcome and good luck to him. Fulham are clearly trolling around for free transfers and out of contract players still. But hopefully come the transfer window we can look forward to a few more quality signings.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Rock

Perhaps we gave him a better deal than he would have gotten at Shalke. Being that we a re a Championship Club now, these are the kinds of signings you want to see.

K33NY

Cant believe people saying well done Fulham at this signing, he havent had any regular playtime last 4 seasons, is 29 years old and had 4 match appearances on loan last season, we complained about signing old players before but for some reason this player is a hiphiphooray signing.....?

Lighthouse

Quote from: K33NY on June 25, 2014, 12:17:45 PM
Cant believe people saying well done Fulham at this signing, he havent had any regular playtime last 4 seasons, is 29 years old and had 4 match appearances on loan last season, we complained about signing old players before but for some reason this player is a hiphiphooray signing.....?

I think if you give a man dying of thirst a dirty cup full of water, he would be very happy. Fulham fans right now are happy at any player coming in. But as I keep on saying. A squad of players have left. Kids and those who stayed will make up a very few places. We really have to have free other squad players coming in to allow for the better signings to come. We hope.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SKSW6

I'm confused. Are people genuinely complaining that we, as a Championship club, have just signed a player who played 22 games for a Champions League-competing German team who finished 3rd last season?

KP_FFC

welcome, i must admit i haven't seen him play much but i trust felix knows what hes doing.

cmg

Quote from: K33NY on June 25, 2014, 12:17:45 PM

Unless I'm misreading Transfermarkt, he played the whole of the second half of last season with Schalke, including a goal against Real Madrid in their final CL match. (Total 22 appearances)
The previous season, when on loan at Stuttgart, he seems to have done his ankle ligament after 24 minutes of his second game and didn't get a place back until the last two games.

Ordar

Felix knows him so he wouldnt be coming in if he didnt think he could do a job for us. 1 year contract, no transfer fee. Played 22 games for a team finishing 3rd in the league last year. Not entirely sure what people are complaining about....

Frank

When he was younger he also played CB.

General

Quote from: Frank on June 25, 2014, 12:51:58 PM

Gary Linker used to play striker... doesn't mean he's any good any more... or to the same level. or remembers how to play the role as well.

Putney

So people complain when haven't signed anyone (before the window opens) and then people complain when we do sign someone.

Hoogland's 'lack of appearances' is due to past injuries. A free transfer which probably either means that one of the youngsters will be in rotation or another player is coming in. Sounds good.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: SKSW6 on June 25, 2014, 12:36:31 PM
I'm confused. Are people genuinely complaining that we, as a Championship club, have just signed a player who played 22 games for a Champions League-competing German team who finished 3rd last season?

Yes, people are complaining. Some of them are the same people who always find the cup half empty rather than half full. If you will see, this man has bundles of quality, just has been more injury prone than Michael Owen. Let's hope he doesn't do in his ankle ligament like he did in his second game at Stuggart.  
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

twang

Quote from: maoconnor on June 25, 2014, 01:02:44 PM
Quote from: SKSW6 on June 25, 2014, 12:36:31 PM

Yes, people are complaining. Some of them are the same people who always find the cup half empty rather than half full. If you will see, this man has bundles of quality, just has been more injury prone than Michael Owen. Let's hope he doesn't do in his ankle ligament like he did in his second game at Stuggart. 

Kind of like what Grygera did here...

Northern Cottager

Quote from: General on June 25, 2014, 12:57:57 PM

Gary Linker used to play striker... doesn't mean he's any good any more... or to the same level. or remembers how to play the role as well.

What you having a go for?! He simply stated he used to play there when he was younger ,if anything subtly suggesting if needed he could cover there .Chill!

Craven Mad

Quote from: Northern Cottager on June 25, 2014, 02:09:33 PM
Quote from: General on June 25, 2014, 12:57:57 PM

What you having a go for?! He simply stated he used to play there when he was younger ,if anything subtly suggesting if needed he could cover there .Chill!

Hoogland has also played LB, DM and RM in the past year.

Looks like he could be the utility option for next season; much like, as said above, Grygera a few years back.

Burt

Any guesses for what the chant for him will be?

Hoogerland, Hoogerland, Hoogerland.
Hoogerland, Hoogerland, Hoogerlaaa-aaand.
Hoogerland, Hoogerland, Hoogerland.
Hoogerland,
Hoogerland.

(Repeat ad nauseum)

:dft011:

This Little Piggy

Quote from: Ordar on June 25, 2014, 12:50:48 PM
Felix knows him so he wouldnt be coming in if he didnt think he could do a job for us. 1 year contract, no transfer fee. Played 22 games for a team finishing 3rd in the league last year. Not entirely sure what people are complaining about....

For starters, Hoogland only played because there was no other option according to the manager. Uchida (Japanese RB) was injured and Schalkes manager thought it was a good idea to have some experience in the team. Hoogland was easily one of the worst players last season though. Had some average games but mostly was a liability in the back four. Imo he's past it. He's been injured or ill for the majority of time of the last 4 years and that shows. His legs are gone and I don't think he's good enough for a league where you need pace. Having said that he's got a very likeable character and gives his all for the team. He's kind of a leader type of player with an excellent professional attitude. I don't think he's good enough as fulback but he can play in midfield as well and maybe that's where Magath sees him.