Friday Fulham Stuff (18/07/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 18, 2014, 07:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cards take on talented Fulham side

Woking v Fulham XI
Pre-season friendly
3pm on Saturday 19 July 2014

The Cards have another attractive pre-season friendly on Saturday when they take on a talented young Fulham XI at Kingfield. Garry Hill's side had a pleasing 3-2 win over Falkirk last weekend – a scoreline that did not really reflect the chances Woking created – and there has since been the very welcome news of contracts signed by Mike Cestor, Joey Jones and new keeper Jake Cole. The signs are looking very promising, so why not come on down and see how the side is shaping up?

WOKING

Woking fans have been treated to a succession of very welcome announcements this summer about Garry Hill's squad for the coming season. Fears that we might lose key players from last season such as Josh Payne, Scott Rendell and Kevin Betsy have been put to rest, while hopes that other players whom we had seen on loan might join – in particular, Keiran Murtagh and Joey Jones – have been happily fulfilled. In addition, we've had the welcome confirmation that Mike Cestor and John Nutter are also staying, although the latter will be on non-contractual terms because of work commitments. Finally, Garry has presented us with three, very promising-looking, newcomers in the shape of defender James Clarke, attacking midfielder Theo Lewis and, a couple of days ago, new keeper Jake Cole, formerly with Plymouth Argyle.

Garry can't be far off completing his squad, although there is clearly room for at least one more forward to complement the current strike force. Several trialists featured in the Falkirk game, including Ollie Taylor, whom we saw in last year's pre-season fixtures, but Garry may also be looking – as he has very successfully done before – at bringing in a promising young striker from a League club.

FULHAM XI

Fulham are expected to bring their U21 squad to Kingfield. They have a very successful youth set-up, with the U18 side having won the Barclays Premier League U18 title for the past three seasons, while last season Fulham reached the final of the FA Youth Cup, losing only narrowly to Chelsea. The squad features a number of very talented players, several of whom have already made their first-team debuts for the Cottagers. They include French striker Moussa Dembele (not to be confused with Tottenham's Belgian midfielder), Danish youth international midfielder Lasse Vigen Christensen, French forward Ange-Freddy Plumian, defender Stephen Arthurworrey, who had an extended loan spell at Tranmere last season, and centre-back Josh Passley. Many of the players will of course be known to Kevin Betsy, who coaches at Fulham.

ADMISSION

Adults £8
Concessions £4
U16s FREE

MATCHDAY PROGRAMME

There is a new-look programme to cover all the home pre-season friendly games. Read Garry Hill's thoughts as the pre-season gathers pace.

NEXT GAMES

The Cards' next home friendly on Saturday 26 July is sure to attract a bigger than usual crowd, with AFC Wimbledon likely to bring a good following.

The Cards' remaining pre-season friendlies are:

Wednesday 22 July (7.45pm) Frome v Woking XI
Saturday 26 July (3pm) Woking v AFC Wimbledon
Wednesday 30 July (7.45pm) Woking v Crawley Town
Saturday 2 August (2pm) Basingstoke Town v Woking
Tuesday 5 August (7.45pm) Woking v West Ham XI

The Conference Premier season starts in earnest on Saturday 9 August when Woking travel to Alfreton Town. The first home game is on Tuesday 12 August when Dartford are the visitors. Why not order a season ticket if you haven't already got one? It could be an exciting campaign!

Come on, you Cards!

http://www.wokingfc.co.uk/news/article/4569/cards-take-on-talented-fulham-side/?

WhiteJC

Away Days: Norwich City

Every morning for 23 days we've been providing a bite-size profile of our upcoming opposition in the 2014/15 Sky Bet Championship season. Last up is Norwich City.

Date: Saturday 2nd May (3pm)

Recent history: After being relegated from the Championship in 2009, Norwich responded in spectacular style and found themselves in the top flight once again courtesy of back-to-back promotions. They consolidated their position amongst the country's elite quickly with impressive finishes of 12th and 11th in 2012 and 2013 respectively, but they dropped out of the Premier League following a testing campaign last season.

The manager: Neil Adams, appointed May 2014 (previously caretaker manager from April 2014)

Player to watch: Lewis Grabban, forward

Marathonbet odds for the title: 10/1

Head-to-head record: Fulham 17, Norwich 10, Draw 11

Previous meeting: Fulham 1-0 Norwich (Hugo Rodallega) Premier League, April 2014

By train: London Liverpool Street – Norwich (approx. 1 hour 50 minutes)

Five who played for both: Dejan Stefanovic, Elliott Omozusi, Dickson Etuhu, Leon McKenzie, Tony Warner

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/17/away-days-norwich-city?

WhiteJC

Next Up: Crawley Town

Fulham are back on English soil this week when they meet Sky Bet League One outfit Crawley Town at the Checkatrade.com Stadium on Saturday (3pm).

The opposition

Having spent more than 100 years as a non-League outfit, Crawley supporters are now enjoying their most prosperous ever spell in the dizzying heights of the third tier.

What makes their progress all the more impressive is that it's less than a decade since the club almost folded due to their precarious financial position. They had to endure several seasons where point deductions were enforced upon them, but significant investment by the late Bruce Winfield, amongst others, turned things around in 2010.

Before long, the Reds went up as Conference champions, before making it back-to-back promotions when they finished third in League Two in 2012. A solid debut campaign followed as they secured 10th spot in the subsequent campaign, and last season was respectable, too, as they established themselves as a League One side with a finishing position of 14th.

Like Fulham, this summer has seen significant changes in playing personnel at the club, with a number of individuals departing Broadfield and more than 10 new faces arriving.

The manager

After making his name as a promising young midfielder in the lower divisions for Northampton Town, John Gregory's form saw him picked up by top-flight outfit Aston Villa in 1977.

He adapted well to the jump in class and made 67 appearances, scoring 10 times, during his two-year stint at Villa Park, before spending a similar period of time at fellow First Division outfit Brighton & Hove Albion.

Lengthy spells at Queens Park Rangers and Derby County followed, before he tasted management for the first time with Portsmouth in 1989. In a surprise move, he returned to Aston Villa to replace Brian Little in February 1998 having previously been managing Second Division Wycombe Wanderers.

He enjoyed relative success during his time in the Midlands, with the Villans mounting a title challenge in 1998/99 only to slip away in the latter stages of the season, while he also guided them to the FA Cup Final in 2000 where they lost to Chelsea. One significant blip during his tenure came when third-tier Fulham knocked his side out of the same competition the previous season.

He went on to replicate his playing career by managing QPR and Derby, before spells abroad in Israel and Kazakhstan. He returned to domestic management after a six-year absence when he was appointed Crawley boss in December 2013.

Player to watch

Gwion Edwards: After enjoying a successful loan deal at the Checkatrade.com stadium last season, the 21-year-old winger made a permanent switch from Swansea City in the summer for an undisclosed fee.

The Wales youth international – who has played alongside our own George Williams at Under-21 level – said upon completing his move: "Obviously having been here before I know the set-up and the way the manager wants us to play. I really enjoyed my time last season and to score my first league goal during that loan spell was a highlight of my career so far."

Inside the camp

As part of their pre-season preparations, Crawley have taken on a number of trialists, including a couple of familiar faces. Former Fulham defender Dean Leacock has been training with the Reds following his release by Notts County, while journeyman forward Collins John played just over an hour of their 10-0 win against Oakwood on Tuesday.

The Dutchman scored 20 Premier League goals during his time at Craven Cottage, and Gregory is hopeful he'll feature again for his side at the weekend, telling Crawley's official website: "He's a bit behind in terms of fitness but we're hoping he will stay with us for a bit and will be involved on Saturday against his former club."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/17/next-up-crawley?

WhiteJC

Fulham chase USA World Cup star

USA national team defender Matt Besler has confirmed that Fulham are battling with Sunderland this summer for his signature, report the Daily Mirror.

The Sporting Kansas City centre back was quoted as saying; "Fulham have made an offer to Kansas City and I know that Sunderland put in an offer, or are putting in an offer."

Felix Magath is on the lookout for a new commanding central defender having lost Brede Hangeland on a free transfer at the end of last season, having been relegated into the Sky Bet Championship.

Besler impressed as the USA reached the last 16 of the World Cup after getting through the 'Group of Death' this summer, which contained Portugal, Ghana and Germany.

He's confirmed he's happy to remain in the MLS, but national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann urged him to move to Europe to continue progressing as a player.

"It's a situation which needs to get resolved. I want to be staying in Kansas City if I'm going to stay. But if they're going to sell me, then I want to know as soon as possible."

"I've been in contact with Jurgen a lot. He wants his players to be over in Europe."

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-chase-usa-world-cup-star/?

WhiteJC

Fulham fixture set for 8pm kick off

Match at Craven Cottage to kick off at 8pm...
Rotherham United's Championship fixture with Fulham at Craven Cottage will kick off at 8pm.

The match is scheduled for Wednesday 15th April.

It was also announced this week that the away fixture with Reading at the Madjeski Stadium will also kick off at 8pm, that match will take place on Tuesday 4th November.

Read more at http://www.themillers.co.uk/news/article/fulham-fixture-set-for-8pm-kick-off-1765104.aspx#0swUooe4lfcCULtx.99

WhiteJC

Ruiz Going Greek!

This morning there`s further speculation appearing in the press relating to the future of Bryan Ruiz.

Apparently the Greek club, Olympiakos; are keen to take the Costa Rican off of our hands.

However, despite the 28 year-old having a year left on his contract the Greek side are trying to pull a fast one.

Apparently they`re trying to get Ruiz on a free transfer!

If I were in charge at Craven Cottage I`d tell them to take a running jump!

How about you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=363778#ixzz37ngc2x00

WhiteJC

Zamora Pens 1-Year Deal!

Over the weekend we ran a brief article whereby we speculated over the future of a former Fulham favourite, Bobby Zamora.

Now 33 years of age, the former England international was out of contract and was said to be pondering over a few offers, including one from the club he helped to promotion back to the Premier League via the promotion play-off final, Queens park Rangers.

We suggested that the deal offered to Zamora was on considerably less than his previous one and that Zamora might be tempted to move elsewhere.

However, it transpires that Bobby has opted to accept the one-year deal on offer at Loftus Road meaning that, unlike us, he`ll be enjoying the delights of the Premier League in the coming season.

Talking about the decision, Zamora is quoted as having remarked,

"I`m over the moon. I still feel I`ve got something to prove."

No doubt we`ll be taking a sneaky look at how he performs next season!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=363779#ixzz37ngqXTNy

WhiteJC

Fullback debacle

Ted Knutson of Statsbomb has produced the above for Fulham's fullbacks. The point here is that the spider web would be all full of colour if the player was doing all of these things really well relative to others at their position. So per 90 minutes, how many times are Riether and Riise tackling, or intercepting opponents' passes?  Well, the answer is "never", almost.  These numbers are adjusted to cater for the frequencies of opponents' attacks, too.  So with all the defending Fulham did, the fact that our full-backs basically never tackled looks troublesome.  Riether's defenders would say that he is a good attacking player, but here we see that he didn't ever cross the ball either.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/07/17/fullback-debacle/?

bill taylors apprentice

I'm sure I saw Riether cross the ball in a game.....  once.
As for the other fella.........  No, don't remember seeing him play at all.