News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Tomasz Kuszczak the keepr who is 'supposedly' on trial with us?

Started by Admin, July 30, 2014, 11:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonffc

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on July 31, 2014, 08:01:51 AM
Nero to counter your point, if Kuszczak was that good why has he not been a number 2 for any premier league teams the past two seasons.

This is the level obviously for Stockdale, and obviously the level for Kuszczak as well, my point on him being a downgrade Leon is that both will still need replacing if we were to get promotion, Stockdale is imo a better keeper than kuszczak, already a Fulham player,  and has previously being in a promotion winning team.

If we get promotion (cant see it tbh) we will need a whole team Deano, not just a new keeper!! How many of our present squad do think will be good enough for Premier league football come August 2015? Maybe that greek left back, possibly Mccormack and possibly 1 or 2 others but going in with that squad? nah!
And please, dont say parker!

Craven Mad

Obligatory new-player linked, youtube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11OHBxkN34k

All footage is from last year's Championship season with Brighton.

Craven Mad

From my perspective, Brighton had the arguably the best defence in the league (20 clean sheets, more than any other team; 40 goals conceded, 2nd best to Burnley at 37) and a GK is vital in organising a defence and [obviously] keeping out the goals too. Tomasz is experienced (in both the league we want to be in, and the league we are currently in) and clearly very talented.

I like Stockdale very much, but he's gone and we now need to move on and stop whining about it...

Kuszczak would be a good choice as our number one.

In McCormack, we've bought statistically the top striker in the league from last year. In Tomasz, we'll maybe buy statistically the top keeper in the league from last year. Clear mark of intention from the club...

Deanothefulhamfan

Impossible to say Leon... we don't know how these current crop of youngsters are going to perform, and need to see our team in a competitive match before we can say who is PL quality, although from pre season I would agree with your comments regarding our LB....

David and Woodrow would be players I know could do a job, but that does not mean the majority of our new team could also not compete, just look at Palace last season, after they got promoted.

Deanothefulhamfan

I am not whining about Stockdale, I am making a point about our possible replacements. First Bogdan was linked, and now Kuszcack, neither of which are an upgrade to what we had.

You have painted a pretty picture of kuszczak, but something is not right as he has just been released for free, and they have paid over 1 million on a new keeper? If he was that good he would have been kept, and Brighton would have been financially better off... The counter argument if we sign him , we are 1 million better off for a goalkeeper on a very similar level (although I think slightly worse), so if he is here as a number 1 for our promotion chasing seaosn then so be it. Get him signed up on a 2 year deal, and let him be a number 2 / 3 in the PL

b+w geezer

Statistically he has been one of the better bets as goalie over the past two seasons in the Championship. We are about to compete over a long season in that very division --   in real-life, not on a computer, starting with some tough games, the first 8 days from now. Stek being in practice as far out the picture as Stockdale now is, the current alternative is a complete rookie.

It's absurd that the situation has come to this, but in the circumstances I'd be snatching your arm off for a solution like Kuszcack -- though not his arm of course.

twang

Kuszczak is a decent keeper, so I wouldn't be bothered if he joins.

But what does bother me is why this wasn't taken care of before we sold Stockdale. Especially if we're about to sign a free agent, then we could have gone all out and signed him a month back and had him rady for our pre-season.

It doesn't really inspire confidence, does it?

BUT! If it turns out that Magath is about to pull a rabbit out of the hat and sign a keeper like Benaglio, then forget everything I just wrote.

b+w geezer

All precisely as twang says immediately above, every word of it.

Northern Cottager

Quote from: fulhamben on July 31, 2014, 12:23:00 AM
Quote from: The Rock on July 31, 2014, 12:19:57 AM
Sure decent enough if he's on 5k a week and Stockdale was on 20k a week and we get 1-2m for Stockdale, good biz.

Otherwise, pass. We can do better.
not good business at all. we are losing a fair bit of talent of late, with only freebies, loans and cheepies coming the other way. ive been super upbeat about this season, but surely we are going to spend some money on a few very weak positions

How do you know any of our business was cheap or freebies? All fees have been undisclosed and McCormack was rumoured to be in the region of 11m.

I feel most of the players have come in to do a job, do it more efficiently than last years squad and save money on obscene wages.

God The Mechanic

Just because a player is free doesn't mean he's a poor player. Equally, spending a boatload on one doesn't mean they will work out. It's about getting the right players for the system we're playing, something we haven't done for a while now because we have had no system.

Nero

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on July 31, 2014, 08:41:32 AM
I am not whining about Stockdale, I am making a point about our possible replacements. First Bogdan was linked, and now Kuszcack, neither of which are an upgrade to what we had.

You have painted a pretty picture of kuszczak, but something is not right as he has just been released for free, and they have paid over 1 million on a new keeper? If he was that good he would have been kept, and Brighton would have been financially better off... The counter argument if we sign him , we are 1 million better off for a goalkeeper on a very similar level (although I think slightly worse), so if he is here as a number 1 for our promotion chasing seaosn then so be it. Get him signed up on a 2 year deal, and let him be a number 2 / 3 in the PL

Just becuase someone is realeased doesnt mean there something wrong, the player might not have been offered the terms he wanted, he may feel the club are never going to make it in to the Permiership replacing there manager every season, he may fell hes more attractive to PL clubs on a free. He may want to join a club thats on the up.

also what makes him better then stockdale he has 11 international caps compared to Stockdales 0 and also you tend not to get signed by Man Utd and play in the first team if you are that bad

Admin

Yes you are..

FPT

Kuszczak's an amazing shot stopper. His reflexes are on a level above David Stockdale, and I do think he's a step up. He looks dodgier when coming out for crosses, however, at least he comes out... I'd rather he came out and flapped then didn't come out at all (or come out and be confused and score an own goal like against Everton).

I think we would be upgrading purely from his shot stopping ability.

Deanothefulhamfan

I am sorry but that is a very poor argument as to why he is a better player.

Etheridge has more international caps, and Massimo Taibi also got signed by Man utd....

My initial point was he is not an upgrade on Stockdale, and that he has probably found his level where he is comfortable in the championship, where Stockdale also seemed to flourish....

TheManOnTheBus

Quote from: Nero on July 31, 2014, 09:57:07 AM
Just becuase someone is realeased doesnt mean there something wrong, the player might not have been offered the terms he wanted, he may feel the club are never going to make it in to the Permiership replacing there manager every season, he may fell hes more attractive to PL clubs on a free. He may want to join a club thats on the up.

If Stockdate was on 20K a week, and Kuszczak on something like 5K a week, sounds too low to me, but the point remains, and Kuszczak  wanted to leave as they wouldn't up his terms.  Doesn't that mean, Stockdale  is taking somewhat of a massive pay cut - accepting what Kuszczak was being offered?   Perhaps Stockdale had no choice since he was told to look elsewhere.

Craven Mad

I think Tomasz actually sought a move away at the end of his contract, rather than Brighton not wanting him - so he effectively forced the release.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11704/9248728/transfer-news-tomasz-kuszczak-targets-return-to-the-premier-league

I agree about Bogdan - I'm not a big fan, would be a step down, but I have watched him play an on occasion he can be a monster between the sticks - but Kuszczak is different and, IMO, would be a step up from Stock.

I'm still surprised we let Stock go, though. Of all the areas needing attention in our squad, GK seemed like the least needy.. Anyway, on to the next one!

Deanothefulhamfan

Craven.... this is one of my biggest issues with the stock saga, the fact is he didn't need replacing, where as someone like Parker most certainly did. Just seems an unnecessary change when we have already made so many.... we now need a CDM and a GK in 8 or so days.... My optimism for us being champions is fading slowly.

Craven Mad

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on July 31, 2014, 10:29:42 AM
Craven.... this is one of my biggest issues with the stock saga, the fact is he didn't need replacing, where as someone like Parker most certainly did. Just seems an unnecessary change when we have already made so many.... we now need a CDM and a GK in 8 or so days.... My optimism for us being champions is fading slowly.

Can't disagree with any of that. Stock would have been more than good enough for a promotion campaign (as he was for Hull), so letting him go is a strange one. Plus, how the CM situation is still unresolved - when it's such an important area of the pitch - is beyond me.

We just gotta hope that Madman Magath has a plan! In fairness, we don't go to training everyday, we don't know what goes on behind closed doors etc. My feeling is that "what is done is done" - we can only move forward!

Back on topic though, I really wouldn't mind Tomasz in our squad and do think he'd be an upgrade - albeit a very small one!

TonyGilroy

Stockdale needed replacing if Magath felt that he needed replacing. The replacement will be someone that Magath thinks is better.

I think it's inconceivable that we aren't about to sign a new keeper but who knows who. Kuszcack wouldn't be the worst option by any means. An experienced safe pair of hands I would have thought but the judgment is Magath's not ours to make.

We are seeing the most comprehensive makeover that I think has ever been done at our level and the process is clearly incomplete.

The Ipswich match isn't any sort of deadline because the window stays open for three more weeks and loans are allowed at virtually any time. We could start badly and gradually improve as Magath tries to fix what isn't working.

Currently we have close to a score of young potential starters some of whom will impress and others who won't and will be seen less and less.

The complete unknowable is whether Magath has the ability to pull this off. His track record shows that he could but there is a risk that he's a man out of place and out of time.

I'm enjoying watching what's developing - whether it succeeds who knows.

b+w geezer

Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 31, 2014, 10:42:31 AM
Stockdale needed replacing if Magath felt that he needed replacing.
Which he presumably knew three months ago.