watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bids for Gonzalez

Started by Toby Ward-Smith, August 05, 2014, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Ward-Smith

Sky sports just reported that we have had two bids for Costa Rican international, centre back Gonzalez rejected, but we are still in for him. Thoughts?

valdeingruo

Would be good for me and bad as well. My local club Columbus Crew (of McBride stature) has a partnership of him and Parkhurst. The form drastically dropped off when he left for the World Cup. You know the feeling you got when watching Dembele Sr? That's the vibe I get from him.  Would be a good move. This means some of our current center backs either Amoribieta or even Burn might be off.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

ealex40

It would be interesting to know if Bryan Ruiz would encourage his countryman to join Fulham, or warn him to stay away and avoid the inevitable criticism he'll get from some of the members on this message board.

buckeyewhite

Quote from: andersons11 on August 05, 2014, 08:51:24 PM
Would be good for me and bad as well. My local club Columbus Crew (of McBride stature) has a partnership of him and Parkhurst. The form drastically dropped off when he left for the World Cup. You know the feeling you got when watching Dembele Sr? That's the vibe I get from him.  Would be a good move. This means some of our current center backs either Amoribieta or even Burn might be off.

I'm a crew supporter as well and I see where you're coming from but I don't think he's good enough for Fulham. He's a slightly about average MLS defender (which isn't saying much). He's not especially good at anything but isn't bad at anything either. His performances at the world cup were far and away the best I've ever seen him play and he normally doesn't play that well for the crew. I don't think he'd be an improvement on Burn or Amoribieta, even for 2 million.

Khan You Dig It

I have to agree with buckeyewhite. I was surprised how well he played at the WC, because he wasn't that great in the early part of the season with Columbus. He's fine for the MLS, but we already have just as good or better.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: buckeyewhite on August 05, 2014, 09:11:53 PM

I'm a crew supporter as well and I see where you're coming from but I don't think he's good enough for Fulham. He's a slightly about average MLS defender (which isn't saying much). He's not especially good at anything but isn't bad at anything either. His performances at the world cup were far and away the best I've ever seen him play and he normally doesn't play that well for the crew. I don't think he'd be an improvement on Burn or Amoribieta, even for 2 million.

What you say about Gonzalez could also be said to apply to Ruiz. He generally looks better for Costa Rica than for Fulham.

Also others such as Kacaniklic from reports seem to be in the same category.

Why should this be?

PeterFFC

Do you know his preferred side at the back?

Holders

If he's the bloke I'm thinking of he was impressive in the WC and I'd welcome him.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

buckeyewhite

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 05, 2014, 09:31:13 PM
Would be good for me and bad as well. My local club Columbus Crew (of McBride stature) has a partnership of him and Parkhurst. The form drastically dropped off when he left for the World Cup. You know the feeling you got when watching Dembele Sr? That's the vibe I get from him.  Would be a good move. This means some of our current center backs either Amoribieta or even Burn might be off.

What you say about Gonzalez could also be said to apply to Ruiz. He generally looks better for Costa Rica than for Fulham.

Why should this be?

I think it has a lot to do with coaching and how the manager sets up his team. In Ruiz's case he's very much the focal point of the attack when he plays for Costa Rica which was never really the case at Fulham. I think he didn't excel at Fulham because Jol didn't set up his system of play in a way to be most effective for Ruiz personally. Getting the best out of Ruiz might not have been the best for Fulham whereas getting the best out of Ruiz was the best thing for Costa Rica. I think it's similar to this for a lot of players, especially players who excel for an average country during the world cup. Perhaps this is why so many clubs buy players who have a good world cup and then go on to not live up to expectations at their new club. In my opinion, the role that you want a player to fill should be considered just as much as the quality of the player when buying someone.

buckeyewhite

Quote from: PeterFFC on August 05, 2014, 09:42:21 PM

He plays on the right I believe, at least for the Crew

costarican white

Hi guys, long time. I have to disagree with some opinions here, I do believe he has the quality to perform well in FFC, he's strong, tall, fast and intelligent.

Have you seen how many offside CR managed to achieve from their rivals in the WC? Well, he was the master mind behind the quick movement and perfect alignment the defensive line must have.

That's the level I know from him, haven't really followed him in the Crew though, but if he already did it at the most important scenario I'm sure he can do the same in the Championship.

COYW
Wherever there's a Costa Rican... there's peace.

PeterFFC

Quote from: buckeyewhite on August 05, 2014, 09:57:41 PM
Quote from: PeterFFC on August 05, 2014, 09:42:21 PM

He plays on the right I believe, at least for the Crew

Thanks. Was hoping he plays on the Left as Hutchinson looks very good on the right side so far.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: buckeyewhite on August 05, 2014, 09:52:23 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on August 05, 2014, 09:31:13 PM
Would be good for me and bad as well. My local club Columbus Crew (of McBride stature) has a partnership of him and Parkhurst. The form drastically dropped off when he left for the World Cup. You know the feeling you got when watching Dembele Sr? That's the vibe I get from him.  Would be a good move. This means some of our current center backs either Amoribieta or even Burn might be off.

Why should this be?

I think it has a lot to do with coaching and how the manager sets up his team. In Ruiz's case he's very much the focal point of the attack when he plays for Costa Rica which was never really the case at Fulham. I think he didn't excel at Fulham because Jol didn't set up his system of play in a way to be most effective for Ruiz personally. Getting the best out of Ruiz might not have been the best for Fulham whereas getting the best out of Ruiz was the best thing for Costa Rica. I think it's similar to this for a lot of players, especially players who excel for an average country during the world cup. Perhaps this is why so many clubs buy players who have a good world cup and then go on to not live up to expectations at their new club. In my opinion, the role that you want a player to fill should be considered just as much as the quality of the player when buying someone.

Good points.

Ruiz did not seem to complement Berbatov unfortunately and it is not clear how he will fit in this season either. He is not a regular goalscorer to oust either Mitroglou or McCormack and he is not a strong enough worker to be placed ahead of either Woodrow in the forward line or David or Eisfeld in midfield.

Gonzalez is another odd choice from what posters are saying. Why are we looking at another right-sided defender when we need a defensive midfielder?

Forever Fulham

He's a quality player.  For whatever reason, the Crew are not getting anywhere near the best from him.  I'm not big on that team or its style of play, though I love their fans.  Who else in the back likely lining up with him?  Spanish speaking...?  I think he'd jump to play with Bryan in London with the hope of promotion to the EPL.  He's worth the risk.

Lighthouse

The World Cup often throws up players who look good but are really not that much better than what we have. Ruiz looked a World Beater but struggled in the Prem.  I tend to ignore players form in World Cups. It really doesn't tell the whole tale.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

valdeingruo

He he's played both sides as a center back, though lately he has been more right.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

btings

£2m is good money for a non-American in MLS, I'm surprised they're looking for more.

@MLSTransfers is a decent account for aggregating MLS-related moves, for people who want to follow this.

love4ffc

Quote from: btings on August 06, 2014, 02:30:19 AM
£2m is good money for a non-American in MLS, I'm surprised they're looking for more.

You have to remember that the MLS fouls up a lot of transfers that would make sense for individual players.  If the MLS thinks that a player has had a great WC then they are going to be expecting more for the player.  Even if the player would do better served outside the MLS. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

MasterHaynes

I think Ali Mac needs to get control of Felix, the one position we do not need to buy a player for is Central defender, especially an average one at that by all accounts. Why do we need another one when we have 5 players already competing for the 2 positions with another 2 knocking on the door?

TonyGilroy

Maybe Magath fancies playing 3-5-2.