watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

good old roy

Started by fulhamben, September 08, 2014, 03:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnut

A good win against the toughest opponents in the group. I am delighted for Roy.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Twig

Quote from: blingo on September 09, 2014, 01:00:29 PM
How profound does it need to be? Profound enough to need diving equipment? See my first post on this topic. The players don't want it enough and do not show enough pride in wanting to play for their country. Big wages come before pride for a lot of them. Yes it's great to be selected, but are they REALLY that bothered, or are they simply not good enough?

I am sick and tired of being told by know nothings that "the players don't want it enough" and other ridiculous phrases.  Because you know all of them so well that you can make that statement do you?

FFC1987

Quote from: Twig on September 09, 2014, 01:52:07 PM
How profound does it need to be? Profound enough to need diving equipment? See my first post on this topic. The players don't want it enough and do not show enough pride in wanting to play for their country. Big wages come before pride for a lot of them. Yes it's great to be selected, but are they REALLY that bothered, or are they simply not good enough?

I am sick and tired of being told by know nothings that "the players don't want it enough" and other ridiculous phrases.  Because you know all of them so well that you can make that statement do you?

Its a non starter argument....People will forever just hate on the home team if they don't win everything and anything. Roy's job is a poisoned chalice.

Twig

Quote from: blingo on September 09, 2014, 11:40:05 AM
It was Switzerland, not Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Holland or Italy. We are supposed to beat these teams without too much difficulty. We will never win anything with the likes of rooney or Milner. Asa we get through, which we will, and get to the serious stages, they will fall apart again. Rooney is an above average player but most certainly NOT world class. The rest have not got the experience. Isn't that how you would put it if it was FFC we were talking about?

Why are we expected to beat them without too much difficulty?  Switzerland are ranked 9th in the world, England 20th.  BTW Spain and Brazil are only fractionally better than Switzerland, each with just 23 more ranking points in 7= position.  Does it make us world beaters no, was it a decent win against a decent side? Yes, end of.

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 09, 2014, 01:58:22 PM

I am sick and tired of being told by know nothings that "the players don't want it enough" and other ridiculous phrases.  Because you know all of them so well that you can make that statement do you?

Its a non starter argument....People will forever just hate on the home team if they don't win everything and anything. Roy's job is a poisoned chalice.
its not a poisend chalice at all. no one expects to win, and england fans can tolerate losing as long as they go out and try to win. playing bad and defensively is what no one wants to see. its taken roy 2 years to use a more positive system in the diamond. if he keeps it up then everyone will get off his back. my fear is he will just revert to parking the bus and losing again when we do end up in tough games
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

FFC1987

Quote from: fulhamben on September 09, 2014, 02:29:34 PM

its not a poisend chalice at all. no one expects to win, and england fans can tolerate losing as long as they go out and try to win. playing bad and defensively is what no one wants to see. its taken roy 2 years to use a more positive system in the diamond. if he keeps it up then everyone will get off his back. my fear is he will just revert to parking the bus and losing again when we do end up in tough games

It is a poisoned chalice as fans will moan even when we've won. Fan's barely tolerate winning, losing isn't an option. He may play it safe occasionally but its mainly due to the weaknesses of our players.

nose

I haven't read the whole thread and don't want to intefere in the usual bickering....
But I thought england played really well for the first time in ages. They looked a proper team, all fighting for the cause and working exceptionally hard. Based on the talent of the players i don't think they could have done much better. I would hope the back four will improve as a unit as they get more used to each other and I hope rooney becomes a touch more like his old self.

The team is better off IMO without sturridge as an automatic starter because he upsets the balance and is too selfish. He should be on the bench for the next game and have to prove himself again, but rooney, welbeck and sterling looks to have top class chemistry, a bfew more games together and it will look even better.

The old guard is gone, thank heavens, lampard and gerrard and every other ard didn't do anything for us so let these boys show what they can do. So far so good I am re enthused.

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 09, 2014, 02:35:57 PM

It is a poisoned chalice as fans will moan even when we've won. Fan's barely tolerate winning, losing isn't an option. He may play it safe occasionally but its mainly due to the weaknesses of our players.
so if we lose or play bad its the players fault, and if we win its down to roy but people still get on his back. the reason we have to set up defensively is because he picks defensively minded players, which ends up with us being pinned back. look at italy in the euros, he started with parker gerrard and milner, then wonders why we were bums to the wall for most of the game.

Apprentice to the Maestro

I am sick and tired of being told by know nothings that "the players don't want it enough" and other ridiculous phrases.  Because you know all of them so well that you can make that statement do you?

It is a poisoned chalice in terms of the press and with some ex-players comments like Shearer's and Michael Owen's this morning.

It's mainly down to the individual and collective performances of the players rather than the manager's decisions. For example, I haven't yet seen Baines give a performance typical of his for Everton for England.

Roy's options are limited. He has pace with Welbeck, Sterling and others but where is the midfield playmaker to open up defences with the killer pass? That leaves being solid at the back and counter-attacking.

Quote from: blingo on September 09, 2014, 11:40:05 AM
It was Switzerland, not Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Holland or Italy. We are supposed to beat these teams without too much difficulty. We will never win anything with the likes of rooney or Milner. Asa we get through, which we will, and get to the serious stages, they will fall apart again. Rooney is an above average player but most certainly NOT world class. The rest have not got the experience. Isn't that how you would put it if it was FFC we were talking about?

The idea that England should beat Switzerland without too much difficulty is just about as off the scale of reality as your views on Fulham, hence the Blingo-Lighthouse scale. Surely Germany should have turned over Scotland without raising a sweat considering the difference in their rankings.

And how can it be consistent to say that Rooney, England's most experienced player, is not world class and so presumably no one else eligible is either and then say England should beat Switzerland without too much difficulty?

fulhamben

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on September 09, 2014, 02:51:50 PM

It is a poisoned chalice in terms of the press and with some ex-players comments like Shearer's and Michael Owen's this morning.

It's mainly down to the individual and collective performances of the players rather than the manager's decisions. For example, I haven't yet seen Baines give a performance typical of his for Everton for England.

Roy's options are limited. He has pace with Welbeck, Sterling and others but where is the midfield playmaker to open up defences with the killer pass? That leaves being solid at the back and counter-attacking.
oxlaid and whilsthire can be that player, but one was dropped and the other asked to play as a dm

FFC1987

Quote from: fulhamben on September 09, 2014, 03:10:56 PM

oxlaid and whilsthire can be that player, but one was dropped and the other asked to play as a dm

out f interest, have you watched much of both recently?

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 09, 2014, 03:17:18 PM

yes why.

FFC1987

Quote from: fulhamben on September 09, 2014, 03:19:02 PM

yes why.

neither of those players would have done a better job than Rooney in current form. Wiltshire has been poor and short of confidence and Ox isn't match fit.

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 09, 2014, 03:23:22 PM

yes why.

neither of those players would have done a better job than Rooney in current form. Wiltshire has been poor and short of confidence and Ox isn't match fit.
? rooney played up top. and rooney shouldnt be in the starting 11

I think a major problem is that our centre backs, apart from Cahill, are not good enough and so there is a need to protect them with more defensive central midfielders.

I don't think Oxlade-Chamberlin is strong enough defensively to play one of the two in the middle of the diamond or that he should definitely replace Welbeck, Sterling or Rooney. Also, he hasn't been playing much for Arsenal. Wilshere would for me be better on the left of the diamond rather than defensive midfield but I am not convinced that he is the long term answer. Again for Arsenal he hasn't looked that convincing and seems to lose or give away the ball too often.

It's early days yet with a new squad of players and a new system but it's hard to argue that Hodgson was not trying something positive.

dannyboi-ffc

yes why.

You will find fulhamben will refuse to budge.or give credit once he takes a dislike to someone. He does the same with parker.

For me rooney is englands best player and you dont have the goal scoring record he has if you not a very good player. He was brilliant yesterday and I think welbeck sterling rooney is the right blend/balance. Not sure sturridge is good enough at what hodgson needs. He scores goals but thats about it. I liked that team last night, it was young quick and attacking. How can anyone have anything negative to say about that.

well done woy, now this young side are guaranteed to qualify and he can spend the next two years moulding them into a machine
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

fulhamben

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on September 09, 2014, 03:30:39 PM

yes why.

You will find fulhamben will refuse to budge.or give credit once he takes a dislike to someone. He does the same with parker.

For me rooney is englands best player and you dont have the goal scoring record he has if you not a very good player. He was brilliant yesterday and I think welbeck sterling rooney is the right blend/balance. Not sure sturridge is good enough at what hodgson needs. He scores goals but thats about it. I liked that team last night, it was young quick and attacking. How can anyone have anything negative to say about that.

well done woy, now this young side are guaranteed to qualify and he can spend the next two years moulding them into a machine
rooney has been poor for a long time, the odd goal against minnows doesnt change that fact. 

fulhamben

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on September 09, 2014, 03:30:13 PM

I think a major problem is that our centre backs, apart from Cahill, are not good enough and so there is a need to protect them with more defensive central midfielders.

I don't think Oxlade-Chamberlin is strong enough defensively to play one of the two in the middle of the diamond or that he should definitely replace Welbeck, Sterling or Rooney. Also, he hasn't been playing much for Arsenal. Wilshere would for me be better on the left of the diamond rather than defensive midfield but I am not convinced that he is the long term answer. Again for Arsenal he hasn't looked that convincing and seems to lose or give away the ball too often.

It's early days yet with a new squad of players and a new system but it's hard to argue that Hodgson was not trying something positive.

id play sterling left and oxlaid at the point, id drop henderson to dm as he is a good player but offers litttle on the attack. freeing up the right side for theo andross or even swap sterlin over with lallna when he is fit too. i also think jones is growing into that cb position and we should stick with him

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: fulhamben on September 09, 2014, 03:35:25 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on September 09, 2014, 03:30:39 PM

yes why.

rooney has been poor for a long time, the odd goal against minnows doesnt change that fact. 

ok. Ill take your word
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging