watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scotland

Started by win-dup, September 09, 2014, 09:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baszab

I think that even the Tories (inc Cameron) have suddenly realised that although Labour will probably be finished (40 seats gone),  the impact on the UK and the British people will be overridingly catastrophic - and for cynical politicians, that is really saying something - the UK will be finished as a world political and economic power (or what it has left anyway these days)

Wingnut

Quote from: Baszab on September 09, 2014, 01:38:51 PM
I think that even the Tories (inc Cameron) have suddenly realised that although Labour will probably be finished (40 seats gone),  the impact on the UK and the British people will be overridingly catastrophic - and for cynical politicians, that is really saying something - the UK will be finished as a world political and economic power (or what it has left anyway these days)

That could be his legacy as PM. I'd say he is one worried man at this moment in time.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

fulhamben

Quote from: Peabody on September 09, 2014, 01:14:22 PM
You have to admit that Salmond is wiping the floor with our lot.
yes if by wiping the floor you mean looking silly, he has no plan for a currency, has been told they can not join the eu and he wants to join nato but abolish nukes. the mind boggles
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

MJG

Scotland leaving would be a disaster for everyone involved long term. My only hope is that they see sense on the day of the vote.

fulhamben

Quote from: MJG on September 09, 2014, 02:16:29 PM
Scotland leaving would be a disaster for everyone involved long term. My only hope is that they see sense on the day of the vote.
i dont think it will be that bad. we will gain jobs when the big companies move back down south

Hurby

If they become an independent country, there is a chance that the economy in parts of England nearer the border would improve - I am thinking mainly of the North East. By necessity, the South East centralisation will have to be re-thought. This can only be a good thing for England as a whole.

nose

I love visiting scotland, the place is beautiful, the people hospitable (in my experieince) and we had excellent weather.

there are duff bits too and a few so and sos but that is true everywhere but overall i love the place.

Bill2

Quote from: Baszab on September 09, 2014, 11:12:06 AM
However much we may want Scotland to get lost -- a NO vote would decimate the UK, weaken the £-Pound, completely muck up our economy, eradicate most of our defence systems, probably reduce our standing in the world so much we could lose our security council standing at the UN, reduce our power in football and our ruling vote on all things FIFA, etc etc
I think you meant if Scotland get a "YES" vote the whole world would cave in and we would have the same standing in the World as Moldova. Well I don't see it that way, Scotland only account for 8% of the population and GDP is again only a small percentage. Also bearing in mind under the formula for funding they get more per year than they pay in we would be better off to the tune of approx £5 billion per year and while we would have to suffer a little bit we would still bounce back. As for FIFA we are not represented nationally but as the English FA, Scotland has their own representatives so no change there.

Rupert

Quote from: Baszab on September 09, 2014, 01:38:51 PM
the UK will be finished as a world political and economic power (or what it has left anyway these days)

The thing is, the UK already has almost lost much of its relevance as a world power. The Empire has gone, the last few living citizens of that empire are well into their retirement years. We are still important as we have nukes, so countries have to be a little bit wary of annoying us too much, but even so, what are the chances of a British/Greater Engish PM nuking anyone? Whatever the provokation.
I do not dispute that the Scots leaving would cause problems, not least making it easier for Europe to ignore or absorb us, by the way, but we may be long overdue a realisitc reappraisal of our world status, regardless of the vote.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Baszab

Sorry I'm thick - I meant a YES vote would........

I still think it would affect our standing economically (£ already falling) politically (on UN Security council for example) and our image on NATO etc without Scottish harbours, nuke facilities etc

Perhaps we could join the USA as a state - that would be more fun

Logicalman

Quote from: Baszab on September 09, 2014, 03:49:40 PM
Sorry I'm thick - I meant a YES vote would........

I still think it would affect our standing economically (£ already falling) politically (on UN Security council for example) and our image on NATO etc without Scottish harbours, nuke facilities etc

Perhaps we could join the USA as a state - that would be more fun

England would have to be the 52nd State then, behind Puerto Rico!!  :005: 
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Nasty Neil

Having served in the armed forces if we were to close the dock yards and air bases parts of Scotland would become a Desert economically speaking  We could then disband the Jocks in Frocks (Scottish regiments) and there would be no need for redundancies in our armed forces. Think of the civilian jobs created around relocated dock yards and air bases . If the Scots are daft enough to believe Mr Salmond fairy tale politics then they don't deserve the free ride anymore.

jarv

I thought this was a football forum and yes, Scotland had a gallant game against Germany. Could have got a point away but for schoolboy defending near the end. Nasty Neil, please inject a bit of intelligence into your nasty comments. We are all Fulham and most on here do display a lot of intelligence. Thanks.

callumc513

Quote from: Nasty Neil on September 09, 2014, 05:35:52 PM
Having served in the armed forces if we were to close the dock yards and air bases parts of Scotland would become a Desert economically speaking  We could then disband the Jocks in Frocks (Scottish regiments) and there would be no need for redundancies in our armed forces. Think of the civilian jobs created around relocated dock yards and air bases . If the Scots are daft enough to believe Mr Salmond fairy tale politics then they don't deserve the free ride anymore.

I assume this must be a windup; there's no way someone can be this idiotic.

Forever Fulham

If they aren't prepared to issue their own currency, I don't see how independence will work.  I've heard the arguments, and I just don't see an economic benefit.  This is a vote of the heart, not the head.

Holders

Wingnut made some interesting points from the RoI.

At first glance you'd think that the N. Irish (the majority population of 6 counties of Ulster) would have much more in common with the Scots, ethnically if nothing else, and it might make more sense for them to throw in their lot with them. Until you come to think that the two peoples of very similar origins have totally opposite views on the Union!

Such is the way it is - amplified petty differences seem to rule over mutuality of benefit. And I say this as a patriotic Englishman. In this big bad world we are better together. I'd rather the "jocks in frocks" fighting with us if necessary.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ffc73

Quote from: Hurby on September 09, 2014, 02:32:09 PM
If they become an independent country, there is a chance that the economy in parts of England nearer the border would improve - I am thinking mainly of the North East. By necessity, the South East centralisation will have to be re-thought. This can only be a good thing for England as a whole.

The complaints of the Scots can be heard in the North East, North West, South West, Midlands etc.  If anything good can come out of this then the Westminster village waking up and realising that there is life outside of their and the City of London would be about time in coming

Large numbers of HMRC offices are currently in Scotland and could be moved to the North East.  Naval shipping could be moved to Portsmouth (that has only recently had large layoffs) or Devonport.  I am sure there are other 'English' government employment opportunities that can be moved south if there is a "yes" vote.

With the reported 'bribes' being touted by Westminster to keep the union I have changed my viewpoint on this.  If Scotland want out then let them go and stand on their own 2-feet, independent, and lets concentrate on the making all areas of England prosperous not just London and the South East.

From someone married to a Scot, working in London and living in the south east. 

Artful Dodger

The thing with this is that if there is a narrow yes majority on even a 90% turnout, that is still less than half the population that have voted in favour and all those Scots living in England and elsewhere (who would most likely vote NO) have been denied a vote anyway! I can't see anything more than a continuous campaign to vote to get back in within 10 years as surely there will be a negative economic impact when devolved UK government activities return to England as FFC73 points out. Can only see it turning out messy for Scotland - lets face it, they would have done an Iceland 6 years ago had they had had to bail out RBS instead of Westminster doing it!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Logicalman

Quote from: Artful Dodger on September 09, 2014, 10:20:01 PM
The thing with this is that if there is a narrow yes majority on even a 90% turnout, that is still less than half the population that have voted in favour and all those Scots living in England and elsewhere (who would most likely vote NO) have been denied a vote anyway! I can't see anything more than a continuous campaign to vote to get back in within 10 years as surely there will be a negative economic impact when devolved UK government activities return to England as FFC73 points out. Can only see it turning out messy for Scotland - lets face it, they would have done an Iceland 6 years ago had they had had to bail out RBS instead of Westminster doing it!

See the point, though there is an argument that if those that are living elsewhere wish to vote, then they should live back in the country and say their peace. Not saying its my argument, but I don't live in the UK any longer and so I don't vote, and honestly wouldn't wish to, that's why I don't live there any longer.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

fulhamben

Quote from: Logicalman on September 09, 2014, 11:48:45 PM
Quote from: Artful Dodger on September 09, 2014, 10:20:01 PM

See the point, though there is an argument that if those that are living elsewhere wish to vote, then they should live back in the country and say their peace. Not saying its my argument, but I don't live in the UK any longer and so I don't vote, and honestly wouldn't wish to, that's why I don't live there any longer.
you don't live here cos you don't want to vote ;-)