https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scotland

Started by win-dup, September 09, 2014, 09:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

Quote from: Berserker on September 10, 2014, 12:49:13 PM
I will be gutted if we split. I'm really depressed by the prospect
I'm all for it now as long as it is full on, no bail outs or subsidiaries for anything. No popping south of the border for treatment you cant get up there or anything like that. And a proper border will have to be erected, not to protect us from the Scots but from foreign wrong doers who will probably find it easier to sneek in from the north due to the very small armed forces they are proposing to protect there land
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

gerrys

[/quote]yes totally agree. Voting should be for the country you permantly reside in.
[/quote]
that's my thought too.....I have been living and paying taxes abroad for 40 years and could still vote in the UK but not here where I am directly affected by government decisions!!!

Holders

Quote from: epsomraver on September 10, 2014, 09:50:12 AM
If it stops the BBC from showing a clip from the so called Scottish premier league every Saturday night on the national news and all the results then I am for it, also take all their MPs back north so they don't ever vote on anything to do with the rest of us

It would as the BBC would have to stop broadcasting north of the border as they won't pay licence fees. Internet access will also have to be separated to stop them using i-player.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Logicalman

Quote from: MasterHaynes on September 10, 2014, 08:24:35 AM
Quote from: Forever Fulham on September 09, 2014, 07:33:34 PM
If they aren't prepared to issue their own currency, I don't see how independence will work.  I've heard the arguments, and I just don't see an economic benefit.  This is a vote of the heart, not the head.
What I don't understand about this whole currency argument is that I thought any country that now joins the EU has to take on the Euro. Why would Scotland be exempt from this requirement if they claim they can rejoin the EU as a separate entity within a year? At the same time I don't understand why no one has challenged Salmond on his claims of all the benefits gaining independence from Llondon, where the Scottish MPs do hold sway on many decisions yet at the same time selling the fact they will get immediate entry into the EU which will again cede control even further away to Brussels where they will hold no influence on law making or the infamous Fishery & CA policies which have a huge impact on Scotland

Can they enter the EU in just a year? I'm not too sure of that claim, even so, what do they do for that gap year? Dollars sounds good.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

FFC1987

Quote from: Logicalman on September 10, 2014, 03:31:45 PM
If they aren't prepared to issue their own currency, I don't see how independence will work.  I've heard the arguments, and I just don't see an economic benefit.  This is a vote of the heart, not the head.
What I don't understand about this whole currency argument is that I thought any country that now joins the EU has to take on the Euro. Why would Scotland be exempt from this requirement if they claim they can rejoin the EU as a separate entity within a year? At the same time I don't understand why no one has challenged Salmond on his claims of all the benefits gaining independence from Llondon, where the Scottish MPs do hold sway on many decisions yet at the same time selling the fact they will get immediate entry into the EU which will again cede control even further away to Brussels where they will hold no influence on law making or the infamous Fishery & CA policies which have a huge impact on Scotland

Can they enter the EU in just a year? I'm not too sure of that claim, even so, what do they do for that gap year? Dollars sounds good.

He quoted 'we can do what Panama did...' end of debate.

In the current climate, joining the EU means you join the euro. No country in the last 15-20 years have been able to avoid it and I can't see Scotland being any different. They can use the pound but will be heavily subsidized for the privilege.

No logic on an economical basis.

Holders

They can use pounds issued on Scottish banks but the exchange rate won't necessarily be 1:1 and the currencies won't be usable in the other countries as they are at present.

Rather like when Ireland de-linked to the pound but for a while the coins were the same size and shape so you could use them in machines but not over the counter.

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 10, 2014, 03:54:59 PM

In the current climate, joining the EU means you join the euro. No country in the last 15-20 years have been able to avoid it and I can't see Scotland being any different. They can use the pound but will be heavily subsidized for the privilege.

but they wont be joining the eu anytime soon. and as it stands spain and one other have said they will veto scotlands application.

ron

Quote from: fulhamben on September 10, 2014, 12:58:42 PM
Quote from: Berserker on September 10, 2014, 12:49:13 PM
I will be gutted if we split. I'm really depressed by the prospect
I'm all for it now as long as it is full on, no bail outs or subsidiaries for anything. No popping south of the border for treatment you cant get up there or anything like that. And a proper border will have to be erected, not to protect us from the Scots but from foreign wrong doers who will probably find it easier to sneek in from the north due to the very small armed forces they are proposing to protect there land

Just as you outline here is the way I see things turning out if the Yes vote wins the day. All wind and p**s about being an oil-rich independent country, followed by trying to keep all the good bits like hospital treatment/currency/bailouts etc. etc.

Cue the gag doing the rounds...Salmond won't be a king, because it won't be a kingdom, neither a prince because it won't be a principality......in fact it will just be a country............

Peabody

If they do vote yes, what happens to the armed services? There are lots of Scots serving, would they continue in the forces, who would pay for the Scottish regiments? In fact would the Scottish Regiments carry on?

Also would the Union Flag still be used?

Logicalman

Quote from: Peabody on September 10, 2014, 05:36:09 PM
If they do vote yes, what happens to the armed services? There are lots of Scots serving, would they continue in the forces, who would pay for the Scottish regiments? In fact would the Scottish Regiments carry on?

I guess currently-serving peeps will have the choice to stay or leave, though I would the regiments themselves would be disbanded or handed over to Scotland complete, without funding.

We'd lose the white 'X' and blue bits!!  :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: fulhamben on September 10, 2014, 05:33:11 PM

but they wont be joining the eu anytime soon. and as it stands spain and one other have said they will veto scotlands application.

That was what I was getting it.

Holders

The Union Flag would lose its blue ground and the white diagonal cross which come from the cross of St. Andrew. The cross of St George is obviously the base, the red diagonal cross represents N. Ireland. 

An issue would be whether foreigners (i.e. Scots) would be allowed to serve in our regiments.

fulhamben

from some of the debates ive seen, they were suggesting that the younger scots would stay on with us while the older ones would go up north for a cushy desk job to see out there time. they are only planning on having 1800 troops. are a dads army as they were reffering to it. as for flag, i doubt we will change it. and i heard they wont be getting legendry regiments but who knows what will be negotiated.

Logicalman

If they aren't prepared to issue their own currency, I don't see how independence will work.  I've heard the arguments, and I just don't see an economic benefit.  This is a vote of the heart, not the head.

What on earth was he talking about.

The only thing I have read/heard is his threat to withhold Scotland share of UK debt unless the other three agree to a monetary union of some kind. I guess he has set the tone for what Scotland will be should it become independant - just threaten other countries to bend to its will (where have we heard that before?).

fulhamben

Quote from: Logicalman on September 10, 2014, 05:49:16 PM

What on earth was he talking about.

The only thing I have read/heard is his threat to withhold Scotland share of UK debt unless the other three agree to a monetary union of some kind. I guess he has set the tone for what Scotland will be should it become independant - just threaten other countries to bend to its will (where have we heard that before? Oh yes, North Korea).
spot on thought the samething when he came out with this, nigh on an economical terrorist.

Berserker

My mother and father in law are very depressed and unhappy. She is beside herself with worry
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Logicalman

Quote from: Berserker on September 10, 2014, 05:51:51 PM
My mother and father in law are very depressed and unhappy. She is beside herself with worry

I really do feel for those that will be adversely affected by all this, in either way. It's a pity that so many of these idealist get their way whilst ignoring what might appear to obvious pitfalls. I'm all for an Independant Scotland, if both that is what the vast majority want (not a simple majority) and they can show that it benefits the people (not the Politicians) in the long term.

fulhamben

Quote from: Berserker on September 10, 2014, 05:51:51 PM
fear not it will be a no vote by a mile. too many scots will be effected for the worse for the day dreamers to get there way

win-dup

if they vote yes at least it will put to an end once and for all  the nonsense about Celtic and Rangers playing in the Premiership.

Shredhead

If they vote yes, then they won't be allowed to stay in the EU - Spain would veto it because it would encourage Catalonia to go the same route. So what currency would they use? Seems unlikely to be the £ at the moment. Perhaps monetary union with Norway?
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC