News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do you, as a Fulham fan, have any sort of affinity with the Jaguars?

Started by Wimbledon_White, October 09, 2014, 01:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...back in the early 80's I was in Houston on business and as a treat we went to see the Texas A&M Aggies. I was taken aback as to the constant stoppages, which were only palatable by dint of some very nice cheerleaders. 

Channel 4 used to show the sport regularly a few years back and I watched it a few times, trying to get into it, but I have to say it didn't 'hold' me and I have no interest whatsoever in the spectacle and no matter the level of hype I would rather watch tiddlywinks being played...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

epsomraver

Quote from: LBNo11 on October 09, 2014, 06:04:14 PM
...back in the early 80's I was in Houston on business and as a treat we went to see the Texas A&M Aggies. I was taken aback as to the constant stoppages, which were only palatable by dint of some very nice cheerleaders.  

Channel 4 used to show the sport regularly a few years back and I watched it a few times, trying to get into it, but I have to say it didn't 'hold' me and I have no interest whatsoever in the spectacle and no matter the level of hype I would rather watch tiddlywinks being played...

Now lets try and understand the rules first...........................do you tiddle before you wink  or wink before you tiddle?  :005:

Barrett487

I think anyone with an interest in American Football would already be following a team. For those who want to learn about the game and follow a team, then a british based franchise is ideal.

I've been a british Green Bay Packer fan for about thirty years, so there's no chance of me switching. I wish them good luck and hope they do well, especially against NFC teams.

HatterDon

no

Once gridiron football moves beyond high school, I have no interest in the sport at all.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Bronsons

For one season in the 80s I fell into the habit of watching the Channel 4 highlights on a Sunday (?) evening. I would have said I was an LA Raiders fan, basically because they wore black. But the first live Superbowl I saw killed it for me. How US fans can sit through that every week is beyond me.

So no, don't care about the Jaguars.

Peabody

Quote from: epsomraver on October 09, 2014, 06:11:08 PM
Quote from: LBNo11 on October 09, 2014, 06:04:14 PM

Now lets try and understand the rules first...........................do you tiddle before you wink  or wink before you tiddle?  :005:

you are a rascal ER, you know as well as anyone, that your tidde before you wink. Personally, I prefer the back handed tiddle, which gives you a superb wink and that is much more exciting than watch grid iron.

Rhys Lightning 63

I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, however I have adopted Jacksonville as my 'second team' if you will. Also helped by the fact I spent a few days covering the Jaguars last year for my University newspaper and found the players and coaching staff to be pure class (in particular Gus Bradley and Denard Robinson)
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Skatzoffc

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Artful Dodger

Quote from: F(f)CUK on October 09, 2014, 03:38:56 PM
In 1985 I was at Liverpool University studying civil engineering.  I used to buy a newspaper daily and was the only person I know who did.  In these pre-internet days you would rely on newspapers for news and results.  My best mate followed the New England Patriots and every Monday/Tuesday would ask me to check their result.  That was the year that New England made it to the superbowl only to be flattened by a fridge.  By the end of the season, I was interested in their scores and was watching the Channel 4 coverage.  I followed New England ever since (note I do not say support New England, as for me supporting is about seeing a team play regularly - although I have followed their stats, view match highlights on-line and know the starting line-ups).  I have seen New England play Tampa Bay at Wembley, my mate and I saw almost every home London Monarchs game and I have been to a few American Bowls before the real matches were introduced.

If New England played the Jaguars I hope that the Patriots rub the noses of the Jags into the dirt.  I consider the Jags in the same way that I follow the London based rugby league team (which by now has a very tenuous link to Fulham) in that I will look at their results but not much else.
Same story for me really. I started watching Channel 4 coverage in about 1984 and picked the New England Patriots for the simple reason they had the word England in their name (that was logical for a 13 yr old!) and I have followed their results since. I too went to Liverpool Uni (89-92 and bought a paper most days) but the only match I have ever seen live was the Thames Valley Chargers and it was rubbish as they were amongst the pioneers of American football in this country in the 80's.

As for the Jags, the only real interest is seeing if they are any worse than we are and trying to work out if Khan hasn't got a clue or just really unlucky!!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

NogoodBoyo

I too watched the Channel 4 American Football programme.  Quite exciting it was.  I will never forget William "The Fridge" Perry - although I've forgotten everybody else.  When I moved stateside in 1990 I was invited to a few NY Giants games.  I enjoyed them, but I'm not a fan of them or any team and I too find the commercial breaks (time-outs, replays, 4 quarters, etc) so tedious that I never watch the game. 
The Jags?  They never win.  I feel a bit sorry for Khan, but my cruel shot from the hip is that he is out of his depth and lacking in knowledge of both American Football and English football.
Nogood "sad to say, itis, isit" Boyo

Black, White and Fred

I have been watching NFL for about 5 years on/off but in all honesty it was the odd game every other week that was shown at 2am over here. I spent a long time trying to figure out the rules, my rugby background helped a little in this regard. The teams featured were so sporadic that I didn't follow anyone for a long time. Then I started taking notice of the Pats, if only for the England part of their name.
When Khan came in I did try switching allegiances to the Jags, brought a pretty awesome t-shirt from Old glory featuring an arm holding a Jags helmet in a thunder storm.
But the problem is that the Jags are just awful, it is already sometimes difficult watching Fulham I don't need any more potential disappointment.  So I am still with the Pats, even if Brady has had a bad start to the season. I will still keep an eye out for Khan's other investment, just for the reason that it is a reflection of what we can expect from him to a degree.

When Khan came in I did try switch alligence to the Jags, brought a pretty awesome t-shirt which is epic from Old glory feature an arm haold a Jags helmet in a thunder storm.

But the problem is that the Jags are aweful, it is already sometimes difficult watching Fulham I don't need any more potential disapointment. 
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Black, White and Fred

What was also cool was meeting a Superbowl winning NFL player, Rod Payne. Won it with the Ravens though I don't know how big of a role he played in their roster.

It was a strange experience as this huge guy just came walking towards us eyeballing us and myself and my mate were terrified. Then he walked past us but doubled back and asked us if we knew where the party was. We ended up going out in London a couple times with him and even took him to our gym where he embarrassed everyone else there.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

The Rock

Yes! I have an affinity or shall I say infinite loathing of the Jags due to our chinsy owner. I hate them because he can run the team into the ground and still make profits. I think Kahn is a great business man and I think it's easy for him to make money with a losing team that can't get relegated! Then there is us.

Very daring to come on this board and post a pro Jacksonville thread. In American English "suck it".

Woolly Mammoth

I have no interest in this game, absolutely boring for me. I wish them no harm.  I cannot call it a sport, it is in the words of my local Shoe Maker, a load of Cobblers. I would rather nail my tongue to an angry Great White, than spend 5 minutes watching an event that has no attraction to me.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Logicalman

I have no interest in the NFL, bunch of over-paid and over-pandered nancies!

Then again, College football is very good and quite exciting - living in Oxford MS I have had to start watching Ole Miss, cannot get away from it - or the utter stupidity of the 'fans' (If you think I over-state this - just come to Oxford when we have another game against Alabama and see what I mean).

Its the TV coverage that spoils it all, like almost all US sports, there are more commercials than game play.

None of this has anything to do with Khan buying the team though - just where I currently reside.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

SadOldGit

psand22

After the hospitality shown to me while attending the game against DC United by Khan, the Jags GM, and the city in general....I have to say I do pull for the Jags now.  They have been pretty poor for years, but things are looking up...

psand22

...But who wants to pull for the free spending, always winning teams with a full band wagon.

love4ffc

As an American one would think I would be a huge fan of the NFL.  Quite the opposite.  Have absolutely no interest.  Have no clue who were went to the Superbowl this year let alone won.  For that matter several of the teams that I knew about in the 80's have moved to new cities.  Absolutely stupid. 

My family growing up was torn three ways with their allegiances to NFL teams.  Dad was Green Bay, Mom was Cleveland Browns and my brother for some reason was Seattle Sea Hawks.  He even lives in Seattle now and has also started following the MLS Sounders.  I on the other hand always hung out with family friends who from Reading England.  It was through them that I fell in love with and started playing real football.  If they had broadcast Reading games in the USA in the 80's I could have ended up a Reading fan.  LOL. 

Bottom line I wish JJ well only because Khan owns them. 

By the way for those who have said they follow the New England Patriots.   Their owners, the Kraft brothers, are considered to be the absolute worst MLS owners.  They spend loads of cash on the Patriots and next to nothing on the MLS Revolutions.  His president box during NFL games is a who is who over the top spectacle, yet abandoned during MLS games.  Their a Joke. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?