Started by DiegoFulham, October 21, 2014, 01:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcliff white

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 23, 2014, 02:12:51 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on October 23, 2014, 01:56:20 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on October 23, 2014, 01:40:22 PM
Quote from: J.Perkins on October 23, 2014, 01:38:51 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on October 23, 2014, 01:35:43 PM
See what I mean about the definition of world class....blimey, even when its in black and white and stated as difference of opinion to the definition of it, people still harp on. There is currently no actual definition, its based on interpretation. I stated my interpretation that Ruiz performs on the world stage, that's a fact for me includes him in the world class bracket of my classification. Look forward to some intelligent replies.

To be World Class, you have to be the best of the best. Ruiz isn't anywhere close to that. You are just deluding yourself.

Someone obviously didn't read the criteria properly....
FFC1987 if you define those that perform on the world stage I assume you mean players who have played international football. Thats why I think club form has to be included as well. I say that as if it is just internatinal football then the likes of Carlton Palmer, Mike Phelan, Gabor Kiraly, Freddie Eastwood to name but a few would have been classed as world class.

If you include Ruiz's club form over the time with us he probably would not be included in most peoples lists.

But as you say and as I said in an earlier post its a common argument as people base there opinions on differing standards.

And you got my point exactly.

I think world class is a loose term because, i'm judging it on the standard of football they play. Just like a player playing in the championship is a championship player, if a player plays international football, regardless for whoever, you are a world class player. And yes, O'Shea and the like get classified in this. That's the standard they are playing and they're the facts we're looking at.

I think adding the domestic form takes it to a new level past world class, elitist class perhaps. I don't think any player including San Marino's team can ignore the term on their CV. He is judged as in the best 25 (squad) of his country, so clearly they are in a bracket of elite of their own.

Do I think he's as good as the worlds elite, obviously not. Am i comparing him to them, obviously not. Am I stating he's a better class of footballer than say a 'championship' player, yes I most definitely am. Why is it important to class this, because stating someone is world class is too loose a term to label the worlds elite, they have their own category. Thats my interpretation of the term 'world class' and why its evidently relevent to Ruiz.
Ok I get your point, but i disagree with you as on no gods planet was Palmer, Kiraly, Eastwood or Phelan ever world class and they all played on an international stage.

But its your opinion and I respect that but I as I say disagree with you
Every day is a Fulham day

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 23, 2014, 02:14:24 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 23, 2014, 02:07:06 PM
See what I mean about the definition of world class....blimey, even when its in black and white and stated as difference of opinion to the definition of it, people still harp on. There is currently no actual definition, its based on interpretation. I stated my interpretation that Ruiz performs on the world stage, that's a fact for me includes him in the world class bracket of my classification. Look forward to some intelligent replies.

To be World Class, you have to be the best of the best. Ruiz isn't anywhere close to that. You are just deluding yourself.

FFC1987 if you define those that perform on the world stage I assume you mean players who have played international football. Thats why I think club form has to be included as well. I say that as if it is just internatinal football then the likes of Carlton Palmer, Mike Phelan, Gabor Kiraly, Freddie Eastwood to name but a few would have been classed as world class.

If you include Ruiz's club form over the time with us he probably would not be included in most peoples lists.

But as you say and as I said in an earlier post its a common argument as people base there opinions on differing standards.

People base it on different standards? You're being too polite westcliff my son!

You've got no standards what so ever if you believe Ruiz is world class, thinking he's a very good player is not a problem. I can see a case for that because he does show glimpses of a special talent but not world class. That's just taking liberties with my intelligence, and I don't have much!

Ignorance at it's most bliss. Read the original point on classification of the term.

I'm not ignorant at all. You're just wrong.

A player in the championship is a championship player, a player in the premier league is a top flight player based on what you're saying anyway. So surely that means a player who is good enough to play for his country, even if that country plays in a world cup makes you an international player?

Otherwise there's 1000s of them, world class players are an elite group and its the highest standard you can reach as an individual. That's not interpretation its fact. So are you saying you're at the top of you're profession as a goalkeeper if you play for Latvia even though there's over 100 keepers out there better than you?

Are you a Wum by the way because you seem convinced you're right and I doubt anyone agrees. Or am I mad?
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

FFC1987

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 23, 2014, 02:33:49 PM

People base it on different standards? You're being too polite westcliff my son!

You've got no standards what so ever if you believe Ruiz is world class, thinking he's a very good player is not a problem. I can see a case for that because he does show glimpses of a special talent but not world class. That's just taking liberties with my intelligence, and I don't have much!

Ignorance at it's most bliss. Read the original point on classification of the term.

A player in the championship is a championship player, a player in the premier league is a top flight player based on what you're saying anyway. So surely that means a player who is good enough to play for his country, even if that country plays in a world cup makes you an international player?

Otherwise there's 1000s of them, world class players are an elite group and its the highest standard you can reach as an individual. That's not interpretation its fact. So are you saying you're at the top of you're profession as a goalkeeper if you play for Latvia even though there's over 100 keepers out there better than you?

Are you a Wum by the way because you seem convinced you're right and I doubt anyone agrees. Or am I mad?

You're mad and set in your ways. Playing to a international standard makes you world class in my estimation, yes.

Tonywa

I would have thought that being generally recognised as having been one of the best dozen or so players in a World Cup competition must surely go a long way to making you a world class footballer. 

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 23, 2014, 02:35:49 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on October 23, 2014, 02:33:49 PM

You're mad and set in your ways. Playing to a international standard makes you world class in my estimation, yes.

Fair enough, I'm definitely mad. Thanks for confirming. I still think it makes you an international player instead but each to their own.

I'll shut the door on my way out.....
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Ok I get your point, but i disagree with you as on no gods planet was Palmer, Kiraly, Eastwood or Phelan ever world class and they all played on an international stage.

[/quote]

So did Status Quo, The Sex Pistols and Justin Beiber
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

'The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one he said. The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million to one. But still they come'

Please don't assist in turning this thread into a war of worlds
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

jags24

A word only means what it means to the people who are speaking the word.  No matter what the technical definition of "world-class" is, a player like Bryan Ruiz is not commonly referred to as world class.  That sort of term is reserved for guys like Messi, Ronaldo, Oscar, etc., etc.

I like Ruiz and think he's an important player, but "world-class" is definitely overstating it.

nose

i hate to come back to a familiar theme but he was the major lowlight in tonights game.
he was excellent v bolton but they never really showed up. when the opposition tries he just is miles off the pace, loses possesion endlessly for no reason and two decent sideways passes hardly makes up for sucha poor showing, again.
tome for david to be given a chance, ruiz has proved it was a one match flash in the pan

otherwise the team really looks like a team, kit has worked magic!

F.luke

I can't help it I have to complain :) Don't want to see Ruiz anymore

terryr

Ruiz was poor tonight I agree

terryr

Not sure why David is out of favour

K33NY

Quote from: TerryR on October 24, 2014, 11:37:58 PM
Not sure why David is out of favour

I think its been mentioned a hundred times in this forum that he is injured, if he has been recovered I have not heard any of it yet :P

the only thing Ruiz did good today, I think it was getting opponents on himself to create space for other players, thats about it unfortunately :(

LBNo11

...regarding David, it is rumoured that he is fit to play but has a big-time Charlie attitude problem. Do you play him and disrupt the the team with someone who doesn't want to be there, or try and get him on board with his undoubted talent when he decides he does want to play for us.

But it is all rumours... :033:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

westcliff white

I thought first half Ruiz looked ok, second half his performance dropped off, but then so did a lot of them as we allowed to much possession to Charlton
Every day is a Fulham day

J.Perkins

Ruiz had an ok game today, shows his skill now and then. Regards to David, I reckon he has Taarabt Syndrome, and is probably a bit too self obsessed, and possibly unfit.

MrProphet

Quote from: LBNo11 on October 24, 2014, 11:47:18 PM
...regarding David, it is rumoured that he is fit to play but has a big-time Charlie attitude problem. Do you play him and disrupt the the team with someone who doesn't want to be there, or try and get him on board with his undoubted talent when he decides he does want to play for us.

But it is all rumours... :033:

Agreed don't want anyone disrupting this team spirit

David is definitely not injured. Seen him in tracksuit leaving the ground the two previous games and someone stopped him for a photo and asked whether he was injured.  His reply was a firm "I'm not injured "

epsomraver

Quote from: westcliff white on October 24, 2014, 11:48:47 PM
I thought first half Ruiz looked ok, second half his performance dropped off, but then so did a lot of them as we allowed to much possession to Charlton
:plus one:

nose

not tp try and be too objectionable, bit ruiz didn't have an ok first half, he was pretty useless. he was out of his depth. he was knocked off the ball endlessly and slow. his recent effort was oppositr tonight with a complete lack of effort.
o think his heart may be in the right place but he is the wrong player.

VicHalomsLovechild

His price tag has seriously damaged his career with us. If we had picked him up for Dembele (Snr) money. We would all be, on side.
As it is, he falls in to the "marmite file" along with the likes of Zamora et al.