watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (07/11/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 07, 2014, 07:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

There's still a good vibe in our dressing room despite defeat at Derby County says Huddersfield Town captain Mark Hudson ahead of trip to Fulham

We still have defensive lessons to learn

Mark Hudson has urged his Huddersfield Town teammates to put defeat at Derby behind them and bounce back in style at his former club Fulham on Saturday.

Chris Powell's side head to Craven Cottage, where skipper Hudson started his career, having suffered a first defeat in eight Championship matches.

The centre-back scored his first Town goal late in the 3-2 loss, and insisted he and his side will learn lessons.

"I would rather the goal had come in a victory, but we went into the match in good form, and we played well in parts of Tuesday's game," said Hudson.

"We are still a learning team, and there are lessons to take from Derby, especially in terms of defending, but let's not dwell on defeat.

"There is still a good vibe in the dressing room and it's all about how we respond. We have another tough test against Fulham, but let's go there positively.

"We were competitive at Derby, and that's how we have to be in every game, and we'll assess Tuesday and try to put a few things right.

"Sometimes when you are on an unbeaten run, you paper over little cracks, so this gives us the opportunity to see where we can improve further."

It's Town's first visit to Fulham in 14 years, and they are seeking their first win at the venue since April 1993, when Iwan Roberts scored in a 1-0 Division II (League I) victory.

Andy Woolmer, from Northamptonshire, will referee the game.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/theres-still-good-vibe-dressing-8051693?

WhiteJC

Clarke: A Point Gained

Defender On Fulham Draw
Peter Clarke insists Wednesday night's result at Fulham was a point gained, rather than two points dropped.

The Seasiders had led 2-0 until Tony McMahon's dismissal left them a man light for over half the match.

Clarke took over the captain's armband, and was proud of the performance put in against the odds at Craven Cottage.

"Under the circumstances we would have liked all three points of course, but the way the game changed a point is certainly a point gained, rather than two lost I believe," he said.

"We spent a fair portion of the game with ten men and withstood a lot of pressure. To come to Craven Cottage, face a good team in Fulham, and go away with a point is something to be happy with.

"It's not a case of it being thrown away. For long periods they were camped in our half, we had to withstand a lot of pressure."

Meanwhile the defender believes there was clear signs of improvement prior to the sending off, as Blackpool raced into a two-goal lead.

The second half was a backs against the wall job, and while committed defending is in Clarke's nature, he wasn't the only one throwing his body on the line.

"It's nice when their players are shooting from the edge of the box and Jacob Mellis is throwing himself in front of things, for example.

"Every single one of the lads deserves real credit for their performance, and real credit for doing the horrible side of the game, which is the bare minimum.

"We played well and created chances. Standards have been set, so I'm sure the manager will make sure those heights, and those sort of performances, are the norm," said Clarke.

Read more at http://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/article/clarke-a-point-gained-2065726.aspx#d26ouL7JFcAfIjlq.99

WhiteJC

Della Verde On Loan

Fulham midfielder Lyle Della Verde has joined Vanarama Conference Premier outfit Bristol Rovers on a one-month youth loan.

The 19-year-old, who signed a one-year contract extension in the summer, links up with the Pirates having featured seven times for the Whites' Under-21 Team this season.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/06/della-verde-on-loan?

WhiteJC

Kit Symons has rescued us - the Fulham fans have their club back, says Shahid Khan

Stunner: Blackpool are caught out as Bryan Ruiz scores direct from a corner

Shahid Khan claims he has given Fulham supporters their club back by sacking Felix Magath and appointing  Kit Symons.

Khan was at Craven Cottage to see Fulham draw with Blackpool last night and the owner claims he has never felt more optimistic about the club's future. The American says Symons has restored a sense of "belief, family and pride" that was missing under Magath.

"Everything we experienced is now in the past," said the owner. "Managerial changes happen but what I sensed from fans was something more important than changing personnel. They wanted their club back. I feel Fulham is back.

"I feel as upbeat about our future today as at any time since becoming chairman and much of that is due to Kit's excellent work. He had impressive results [as caretaker manager] but he also restored what we were missing — the sense of belief, family and pride that were the very hallmarks of Fulham that attracted me to the club.

"When you weigh up everything Kit delivered in six weeks and combine that that with his superb performances in his interviews with our search committee and eventually one-on-one with me, we should not be surprised [he was given the job]."

Symons was disappointed with his side's display in front of Khan, who is in London with the Jacksonville Jaguars ahead of their NFL game at Wembley on Sunday. Fulham had to fight back from two goals down against Championship strugglers Blackpool and earned a point when Bryan Ruiz scored direct from a corner.

"The first half was probably as bad as we have been since I took over," said Symons. "I was very disappointed with our defending, it is two points dropped in my view. There is loads of work to do but that is five games unbeaten in the League now so we have got a bit of momentum going."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/kit-symons-has-rescued-us--the-fulham-fans-have-their-club-back-says-shahid-khan-9843445.html

WhiteJC

Lyle Della-Verde: Fulham midfielder joins Bristol Rovers

Bristol Rovers have signed Fulham midfielder Lyle Della-Verde on a month's loan.

The 19-year-old joined the academy at Craven Cottage in 2011 after previous spells with Tottenham and Southend.

Rovers have brought him in to cover for Andy Monkhouse, who is serving a three-match ban, and Jake Gosling, who has been called up for Gibraltar.

"I mentioned him last season but we couldn't get him in," manager Darrell Clarke told BBC Radio Bristol.

"I've watched him a couple of times and he's always impressed me.

"He can play on either flank, has tricks in the locker and is very attack-minded. The kid's got potential so it's a good deal."

Clarke has also been linked  with a move for Forest Green Rovers striker Lee Hughes and Bournemouth forward Matt Tubbs, as he looks to build his Conference squad.

When asked about the reports, the Rovers manager responded: "I know Tubbs - I played with him at Salisbury and I tried to sign him in the summer.

"They're both very good players and I'm interested in good strikers. Those two certainly fit the mould."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29934682

WhiteJC

Championship Preview: In-form top two lock horns

Two of the Championship's form sides clash on Saturday as leaders Bournemouth visit Middlesbrough.

Six successive league wins puts Bournemouth ahead of the second-placed Middlesbrough on goal difference only, but Eddie Howe's men are sure to face a tough ask at the Riverside Stadium this weekend.

Both teams leapfrogged previous leaders Watford with midweek wins - Bournemouth triumphed 2-0 at Sheffield Wednesday while Middlesbrough crushed Norwich City 4-0.

Captain Grant Leadbitter scored twice in that Middlesbrough win for Aitor Karanka's men and he is expecting an entertaining affair when Bournemouth come to visit.

"We're on a roll - we want to keep that going but we've got a tough game on Saturday," Leadbitter told the club's official website.

"It would be good to see 20,000 fans there [at the Riverside] on Saturday - the more the merrier.

"But we've got to concentrate on playing better than we did on Tuesday.

"Eddie Howe has got a great team down there. They'll be no mugs and will be coming at us.

"They will attack but so do we. It'll be two good teams fighting for three points on Saturday."

Leadbitter has eight Championship goals this season - one behind Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson.

Watford will look to bounce back from a surprise defeat against struggling Birmingham City at Ipswich Town.

But the third-placed side know things will not be easy against an Ipswich side who sit fifth and have won their last two.

Derby County are just goal difference adrift of Watford and host Wolverhampton Wanderers after ending a two-match league losing streak with a 3-2 success over Huddersfield Town on Tuesday.

The pressure on Nottingham Forest boss Stuart Pearce is continuing to mount after his side extended their winless run to 10 matches in all competitions on Wednesday.

A meek 3-1 home loss to Brentford saw Forest drop to 11th - a far cry from the league lead that they held in September.

Forest spent heavily in the close-season and will be thankful their next opponents are also out of form. Norwich City, who go to The City Ground on Saturday, have won just one of their last seven.

Leeds United and Sheffield Wednesday are both winless in eight league matches and face fellow strugglers in home matches.

Neil Redfearn's Leeds host rock-bottom Blackpool, while Wednesday welcome Yorkshire rivals Rotherham United.

Birmingham and Bolton Wanderers are still in the relegation zone, despite midweek wins, but both can pile the pressure on the sides around them with home victories against Cardiff City and Wigan Athletic respectively.

Brentford make the short trip to Millwall buoyed by their big win at Forest and Reading battle Charlton Athletic.

Elsewhere, in-form Blackburn Rovers go to Brighton and Hove Albion and Fulham take on Huddersfield.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/championship-preview-bournemouth-visit-middlesbrough-top-table-clash#GvXtQJDgDq10Vcbr.99

WhiteJC

Kit's Verdict Blackpool (h)

Since taking on the managerial role on a permanent basis, the wins appear to have dried up for Kit Symons.

Last night the 2-2 draw against Blackpool followed on from a 3-3 draw against another team from the north-west, Wigan. Those two results mean that Fulham have taken two points out of the last six available and have curtailed our rise up the Championship table.

Instead of heading for a mid-table position we find ourselves lurking just above the bottom three.

But last night was a disappointing night considering we were playing a Blackpool team that were bottom of the table and had amassed a paltry six points, before last night.

Following the final whistle, Kit Symons gave his thoughts on the result to the media, remarking,

"Our defending for the two goals was poor to say the least."

"Having scored on the stroke of half-time, we should have won the game. It`s very much a case of two points dropped."

"We threw the kitchen sink at them after the break and have enough quality to convert those chances."

Let`s hope we don`t rue those two dropped points too much come May 2015!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=375987#ixzz3IMmJm4lG

WhiteJC

Far From Sweet 16!

After suffering the indignity of relegation from the Premier League last May, we`re now sixteen games into our Championship campaign.

And, I have to say it has been a far from sweet sixteen.

The calamitous reign of Felix Magath has, in my opinion, left us needing a miracle to get promoted this time around.

Thankfully, under the tutorship of Kit Symons, we do have reasons to be optimistic and there is even talk of a late-push for a play-off place, giving us hope that our flirtation with the Championship might just be a one-season thing!

But, looking at our current record, whereby we`ve played 16 games and accumulated a mere 16 points, leaving us fourth from bottom still, all talk of promotion (via the play-offs) still appears to be fantasy talk.

Perhaps we`ll be able to readdress the situation after another sixteen games whereby it might be a case of sweet, as opposed to far from, sixteen!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=375988#ixzz3IMmX6kQF

WhiteJC

Callum Wilson, Marcus Bettinelli called up to England Under-21s squad

Gareth Southgate has handed Callum Wilson and Marcus Bettinelli their first call-ups to the England Under-21s squad for the upcoming friendlies against Portugal and France.

Wilson, who has scored 11 goals in 19 appearances for Bournemouth this season, takes the place of Saido Berahino who was selected in Roy Hodgson's senior squad.

Meanwhile, Fulham's Bettinelli is named among the goalkeepers, alongside Jack Butland and Jonathan Bond.

In-form Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane is also part of the U21 side, despite being tipped for a place among the senior set-up.

The Young Lions qualified for next year's Euro 2015 tournament with victory against Croatia last month.

England Under-21s squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham), Jonathan Bond (Watford), Jack Butland (Derby County, loan from Stoke City)

Defenders: Luke Garbutt (Everton), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Carl Jenkinson (West Ham United, loan from Arsenal), Michael Keane (Burnley, loan from Manchester United), Jamaal Lascelles (Nottingham Forest, loan from Newcastle United), Liam Moore (Leicester City), Jack Robinson (Huddersfield Town, loan from QPR)

Midfielders: Tom Carroll (Swansea City, loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Chalobah (Burnley, loan from Chelsea), Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), Will Hughes (Derby County), Thomas Ince (Nottingham Forest, loan from Hull City), Alex Pritchard (Brentford, loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City)

Forwards: Patrick Bamford (Middlesbrough, loan from Chelsea), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Ings (Burnley), Callum Wilson (AFC Bournemouth), Cauley Woodrow (Fulham)

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/england-u21s/news/wilson-bettinelli-called-up-to-england-u21-squad_186828.html

WhiteJC

Kit's unspectacular Fulham

After a lengthy trial period and an impressive string of results, Kit Symons was finally confirmed as the permanent manager at Motspur Park last week. There is no doubt that both the performances and the general atmosphere around the club have shown marked improvement under the Welshman's temporary tenure. The real test will come now the decision has been made as fans begin to focus on results and less so on the off field uncertainties.

A permanent appointment will bring stability and it will allow Kit to assess reinforcements, but what it won't do is immediately solve all of the issues (Outside of Felix Magath) that have contributed to the continuing situation we find ourselves in. Up to now there has been a honeymoon period fuelled by the desire to give the right man the job, but I get the feeling scrutiny is just around the corner. It must be remembered that Symons is an inexperienced manager, he will make mistakes and we are by no means suddenly world beaters.

The partnership of Burn and Bodurov has been a real positive over the last few weeks and it will hopefully give us a platform to build on. The full backs remain fairly unstable though with Stafalidis failing to replicate his pre-season form and even the goal machine that is Tim Hoogland suffering a dip in form. I would suspect that the German will eventually wrestle his place back from Elsad Zverotic but the left back spot is very much up for grabs.

When such a large amount of money is spent on a forward he will always be judged first and foremost on the goals he scores. Anyone who has seen the performances of Ross McCormack in recent weeks though will tell you that his work rate has been second to none while being responsible for much of the creative play in the final third. Coming back from two behind at home to Blackpool will definitely be seen as two points lost and had McCormack not been suspended, I feel we may well have been more successful in killing the game off in the second half.

There probably hasn't been a player at Fulham that has divided opinion as much as Bryan Ruiz has since he joined back in 2011. Given his performance at this year's World Cup it suddenly seemed a ludicrous situation that such a player was playing in the Championship, much more so that the manager at the time wasn't even considering him. Having been reinstated by Kit, Bryan is starting to turn in some solid performances but still by no means remarkable. Despite the two goals away at Wigan I was amazed at the backlash of some fans at the final whistle. "Where are all the Ruiz haters now?" one screamed. While I have remained relatively on the fence when it comes to the Costa Rican and his undoubted potential, I would suspect that those "Ruiz haters" are still waiting to see some return on the large amount of money spent over three years ago which probably won't be pacified by two strikes (one from the spot) in a 3-3 draw away at Wigan in the Championship. Just saying.

The late equaliser at Wigan showed spirit but we still have a squad lacking in experience. Defensive mistakes are routine and while we are starting to establish a regular line-up, many players still struggle with the consistency that is needed on a weekly basis. We need to be careful not to elevate the current squad to a level where questions start to be asked as to why Symons isn't getting the best out of them. The following months will require much patience on our part as we continue to grind out some fairly unspectacular performances.

http://www.shoot.co.uk/category/team/kits-unspectacular-fulham/

WhiteJC

Harry Bunn wants return to winning ways as Huddersfield Town head to Fulham

The striker scored his sixth goal of the season, but it couldn't stave off defeat at Derby

Harry Bunn hailed Huddersfield Town's fans as he set sights on another goal and a return to winning ways against Fulham.

The club are close to selling out their 2,700 ticket allocation for the Championship game at Craven Cottage.

Chris Powell's 15th-placed side are aiming to bounce back from Tuesday's 3-2 defeat at Derby.

Former Manchester City man Bunn marked his new contract by claiming a sixth goal of the season.

But the 21-year-old was obviously disappointed by a first defeat in eight games.

"In the Championship a few consecutive wins will see you rise up the table, but equally you can drop after a string of losses," he said.

"It's important for us to get back to winning ways; that will be the aim against Fulham.

"We went seven games unbeaten ahead of Derby and to win against Nottingham Forest – a team that will be up there at the end of the season – gave us real confidence.

"That was probably the best we've played all season. We were brilliant.

"If anything, the loss at Derby will make us want to win even more at Fulham.

"We want to get back on track and to put another run together. We all feel like we can do that."

On his growing rapport with the Town faithful, Bunn said: "The fans here have been brilliant with me.

"Whether we win or lose they are quite positive towards me.

"And it was nice to see some of the comments on Twitter after I signed my contract."

The new deal runs to 2017, with Town having the option of a further year.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-bunn-wants-return-winning-8061414?

WhiteJC

Symons nominated for October Manager of the Month
by LYDIA on NOVEMBER 6, 2014

For weeks the Fulham faithful have been crying out for Khan and his five man panel to stop playing around and give Kit Symons the permanent Fulham job. As an ex-Fulham player, as well as having several different roles in the club throughout the years, it was clear that he has the passion and the Fulham knowledge to take the job on full time. To be honest, there was a couple of times that I thought that Khan was going to throw a spanner in the works and give the job to someone else which would likely have caused a massive backlash from the Fulham fans!

I could hardly believe just how bad the squad was under Magath. Confidence was completely gone and it was easy to see that the players were struggling with the Germans training regime and constant squad rotation. His style was just not what was needed for our club and everything seemed to be going wrong for him. But under Symons we just have a completely different situation! Yes, we still have a lot of work to do to get ourselves as far away from the relegation zone as possible and it seems that Kit needs to sort out his substitutions as decision making there has been, at times, questionable. But aside from that overall the revival within the team has been amazing and it is obvious that both the fans and the players are behind him.

Symons has been rewarded by being nominated for the October manager of the month award along side the likes of Chris Powell and Eddie Howe. It is a great achievement for him and it starts off his reign as Fulham boss quite nicely. I wholeheartedly believe that the squad will continue to improve under him but we do still have to be patient with him if things do go wrong from time to time as this is his first permanent managers' position. He is Fulham through-and-through and it is a very exciting time to be a Fulham fan as I see nothing but improvement on the horizon.

Congratulations, Kit!

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/11/symons-nominated-for-october-manager-of-the-month/?

WhiteJC

Three-sy does it for Fulham against Huddersfield on their way to Premier League promotion

Rewind to November 2000 as Whites eased to victory over the Terriers

Leaping clear: Louis Saha is challenged by Huddersfield's Scott Sellars
There couldn't be much more of a stark contrast between now and the last time Fulham hosted Huddersfield 14 years ago.

The clubs go head to head on Saturday with the Cottagers looking for a win to help propel them up the Championship table.

The Whites are in a state of flux – after picking up just one point from their opening eight matches, the following eight under new boss Kit Symons has produced 15 points.

Jean Tigana's Fulham side, which romped to victory against Huddersfield in November 2000, played with consistency, flair and solidarity.

It is hard to argue that 2014's Fulham has had consistency or flair – but under Symons, they now seem to have more solidarity.

Fourteen years ago, the hosts were on the rise, lying in second place in Division One, and had only been beaten once in their opening 15 matches.

Huddersfield, in comparison, were struggling for form at the bottom of the table – a struggle which eventually proved fruitless.

The visitors had brought in ex-Manchester United midfielder Lou Macari as manager, and his first game was more symptomatic of things to come.

On the run: John Collins gets away from Huddersfield's Michael Senior
But it was another clean sheet for a defence that comprised current Fulham manager Symons and former boss – now in charge of Wales - Chris Coleman alongside fan favourites Steve Finnan and Rufus Brevett.

Despite a lacklustre performance, the Cottagers stormed to an emphatic 3-0 win after Louis Saha headed home to open the scoring on his way to 32 goals in all competitions.

Saha's strike early in the second half came shortly before Scott Sellars received his marching orders for a second bookable offence.

Bjarne Goldbaek hit a late deflection two minutes from the end, before Finnan slammed home an effort to add gloss to the scoreline.

It turned out to be a remarkable season for Fulham as they won the title and with it promotion to the Premier League.

They smashed their way to promotion, breaking the 100-point barrier and conceded just 32 goals in 46 games.

Their opponents on Saturday ended up losing their relegation fight by a point as they went down with Tranmere and Fulham's west London neighbours QPR.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/three-sy-fulham-against-huddersfield-way-8062879?

WhiteJC

Southgate Calls Up Fulham Duo

With yet another international break around the corner, it appears that two of our exciting batch of English youngsters has been recognised.

The England U21 boss, Gareth Southgate, has called upon the services of our young forward, Cauley Woodrow, again but has also called up, for the first time our young keeper - Marcus Bettinelli.

Our congratulations go to both and we hope they get some match time against Portugal and France.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=376009#ixzz3IMp2w9sR

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs. Huddersfield Town

Try as they might, Fulham simply cannot seem to drag themselves away from the relegation zone in the Championship, and failure to beat Huddersfield Town at Craven Cottage on Saturday could see them end the weekend back in the bottom three.

The Cottagers made a dreadful start to the campaign following their relegation from the Premier League last season, failing to win any of their opening eight matches and picking up a solitary point in that time.

However, they have only lost one of the next eight and come into this weekend's match on a five-game unbeaten streak in the league - their best record since February 2013.

They remain just a point clear of the relegation zone, however, with Birmingham City and Bolton Wanderers below them beginning to find a bit of form under their new managers.

Fulham's own new boss, Kit Symons, has been nominated for the October Manager of the Month award, but his side have not made the most convincing start to November.

A 3-3 draw with fellow strugglers Wigan Athletic was a decent result considering they required a late equaliser, but to only pick up a point at home to rock-bottom 10-man Blackpool on Wednesday would have been highly disappointing, despite coming back from two goals down.

Bryan Ruiz scored three goals in those two games, and he is likely to be a key figure again if Fulham are to extend their unbeaten run at home in the league to five matches.

Big-money summer signing Ross McCormack was suspended for the midweek match, but he is available once again this weekend and should return to the side in place of Moussa Dembele.

The hosts will come up against a Huddersfield side whose momentum was finally stunted on Tuesday by a 3-2 defeat at the hands of high-flying Derby County.

That result ended a surprise seven-match unbeaten streak for the Terriers, who are looking increasingly capable of pushing towards the top half under Chris Powell, who has also been nominated for Manager of the Month.

While Powell has got his side picking up regular points at the John Smith's Stadium, away from home there is a noticeable lack of consistency that he will want to address.

In Nahki Wells and Grant Holt, though, he has a strike partnership that can cause problems wherever they play, and those two will lead the line once again in the continued absence of James Vaughan.

Indeed, despite defeat last time out, Powell could opt for an unchanged starting lineup having pushed Derby all the way in midweek.

Recent form

Fulham: DDLWDW

Huddersfield: LWDDWD

Possible starting lineups

Fulham: Bettinelli; Hoogland, Burn, Bodurov, Stafylidis; Ruiz, Parker, Roberts, Christensen; Rodallega, McCormack

Huddersfield: Smithies; Smith, Hudson, Lynch, Robinson; Scannell, Butterfield, Coady, Bunn; Wells, Holt

Sports Mole says: 2-2

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/preview/preview-fulham-vs-huddersfield_186866.html?

WhiteJC

Bournemouth duo beat Millwall ace and Fulham boss to Championship awards

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe has been named the Sky Bet Championship Manager of the Month for October, beating new Fulham manager Kit Symons while Cherries star Callum Wilson beat David Forde for the players' gong.

Sixteen goals in five Sky Bet Championship and Capital One Cup outings during October have propelled Howe's Cherries to the top of the league.

Howe will be particularly pleased with the way his team beat Birmingham 8-0 at St. Andrew's.

Sky Sports' Football League pundit Don Goodman said: "Eddie Howe has built an extremely talented young side on the South Coast and The Cherries are in an impressive run of form.

"Dan Gosling, Junior Stanislas and Adam Smith are seizing the fresh chances that Howe has given them and summer-signing Callum Wilson is repaying the faith shown in him with plenty of goals."

Callum has nine of Bournemouth's 33 goals this season and his form recently has been electric, scoring in four consecutive League games followed by a cup goal against Premier League opposition.

He's starting to look every bit the player Bournemouth needed to replace last season's top scorer Lewis Grabban.

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe said: "Callum has settled in quickly and been a key part of the success we have had as a team.

"He is a great finisher, as you can see through the goals he has scored, and has great pace and strength, as well as having a really good work ethic.

"He has scored nine goals already, including five during October, but now the challenge for him is to keep scoring and maintain his impressive start."

Sky Sports' Football League pundit Don Goodman said: "Wilson's has made the step from League 1 to the Championship look easy and has continued the fine goal-scoring form he showed at Coventry last season.

"He is a proper number nine, with a fantastic attitude, great upper body strength and an eye for goal."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/millwall/bournemouth_duo_beat_millwall_ace_and_fulham_boss_to_championship_awards_1_3837445

WhiteJC

Brentford, Charlton, Fulham and Millwall unite for Royal British Legion

Millwall will wear a special kit with the proceeds of sales going to the Headley Court Benevolent Fund. Picture: Millwall FC

Sky Bet, the title sponsor of The Football League, have teamed up with Fulham, Brentford, Millwall and Charlton to offer fans the chance to bid for a signed, match-worn poppy shirt in the #BidToRemember shirt auction.

Match-worn shirts from the Remembrance Weekend fixtures [Friday November 7 and Saturday November 8] will be going under the hammer to mark the 100 year anniversary of the outbreak of World War 1 in 1914.

All clubs are wearing a poppy on their kit, while Millwall went a step further and are wearing a camouflage strip to raise money for Headley Court - a hospital for soldiers.

All proceeds from the #BidToRemember auction will go directly to the Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal, supporting the Armed Forces community, through welfare, comradeship and representation.

Sky Bet Head of Sponsorship Edwin Martin said: "This is a cause that resonates with everyone in the country, especially this year, the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of World War 1 in 1914.

"We know Football League club supporters to be hugely passionate people, who always throw their support behind the Poppy Appeal.

"At Sky Bet, we would like to thank the Sky Bet Championship clubs, who have agreed to do things differently this year, in recognition that, together, we can make a bigger difference than ever before."

Amateur players can take part in the campaign by collecting a limited-edition #BidToRemember armband at their local Goals Soccer Centre and tweeting a selfie wearing it.

The Royal British Legion Corporate Partnerships Manager Alexandra Caine said: "We are incredibly grateful to Sky Bet, and to all the Championship clubs, for their support for this year's Poppy Appeal.

"The money raised from campaigns like #BidToRemember will help fund our nationwide welfare work for Serving and ex-Service personnel, who put their lives on the line for their country."

Signed poppy shirts from each of the other Sky Bet Championship clubs will also be in the auction.

All lots will be going live on Sky Bet's eBay shop between Saturday November 8 and Monday November 10.

To register your interest in the signed shirt auction, please visit: www.bidtoremember.com

To follow the campaign on Twitter, use the hashtag #BidToRemember

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/brentford/brentford_charlton_fulham_and_millwall_unite_for_royal_british_legion_1_3837470

WhiteJC

Championship: 'We must target a top-six finish' says Fulham owner Shahid Khan

Fulham owner Shahid Khan has set new manager Kit Symons the target of finishing in the top-six of the Championship this season.

The Whites currently sit 21st, just a point above the relegation zone, after a dismal start to their first campaign since being relegated from the Premier League.

But Symons has overseen resurgence at Craven Cottage since being made caretaker and then full-time boss, winning four and losing just once in their last eight league games.

And Khan told Sky Sports: "Why can't our target now be the top six?

"We've got great resources, good players and we're still only out of it by 11 points or so. That could have been less with one more goal against Blackpool.

"We're not out of the top-six right running and our goal has to be that. It doesn't mean we're going to reach it but that's what we're saying.

"What is not a target is complacency."

Khan is in town to watch both Fulham, who host Huddersfield on Saturday, and his NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars, who take on Dallas Cowboys at Wembley on Sunday.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9553353/championship-we-must-target-a-top-six-finish-says-fulham-owner-shahid-khan?

WhiteJC

McCormack returns for Cottagers

Fulham can welcome back Ross McCormack when they host Huddersfield at Craven Cottage.

Striker McCormack missed Wednesday night's 2-2 draw with Blackpool through suspension following his red card at Wigan on Saturday, and he is set to go straight back into the starting line-up. Full-back Fernando Amorebieta needs a fitness check after limping off before half-time against the Seasiders following a kick to his knee. Defender Tim Hoogland is sidelined by a pelvic problem and forward Adam Taggart is still recovering from a groin injury. Huddersfield forward Sean Scannell is expected to shake off the illness that forced him off in the second half of the the midweek loss at Derby. Midfielder Jonathan Hogg is not expected to feature as he continues to struggle with a thigh problem and striker James Vaughan remains sidelined with a calf injury. Manager Chris Powell could hand striker Martin Paterson his first start of the season, while winger Danny Ward is pushing for a recall. Powell has no new injury or suspension worries as his side look to bounce back from Tuesday night's first defeat in eight matches.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/mccormack-returns-for-cottagers-1746649.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Huddersfield Town in focus

Both sides have had recent success, but also setbacks

Defeat at Derby County was disappointing, but far from a disgrace.

Now it's all about how Chris Powell's Town bounce back against Kit Symons' Fulham.

It's a showdown of two manager of the month nominees on the banks of the River Thames as Town make their first visit to Craven Cottage since November 2000.

That's a reflection of the encouraging October form shown by both clubs, who began the campaign with Mark Robins and Felix Magath at their respective helms.

After 13 seasons of Premier League football, Fulham have found the transition to the second tier testing.

Magath was ousted with the Cottagers bottom of the table with just one point from their first seven games.

Symons, a former Fulham player (the defender also wore the colours of Portsmouth, Manchester City, Crystal Palace and Wales), has brought stability as well as points.

Five wins in nine games in all competitions earned him the job on a permanent basis as well as that manager of the month chance.

But the last three games have brought a 5-2 thumping at home to Derby in the Capital One Cup and Championship draws at Wigan and at home to Blackpool on Wednesday.

Symons' 21st-placed side had to come back from two down against Lee Clark's Tangerines.

They will be desperate to make a flying start against Town – and to go on and collect the three points which would bolster their climb away from the trouble zone.

Town are six places and five points better off, and showed against Nottingham Forest last Saturday just what they are capable of.

A scintillating show made it four wins in seven unbeaten games.

But fast-flowing Derby showed the level Powell and his players must aspire to as they clinched a 3-2 victory which while Town were competitive, was fairly comprehensive.

The manager has always said there will always be work to do and improvements to be made.

But things are going in the right direction, and more than 2,500 Town fans will head to Craven Cottage with optimism.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-v-huddersfield-town-focus-8062259?