more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jimmy Hill

Started by colcliff, November 12, 2014, 07:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyGilroy

Maybe nearly all then.

I don't see it as a mistake - I see it as a deeply selfish, racist endeavour for which he was well paid. Others can see it differently but I don't have a high opinion of him.

Slaphead in Qatar

heres jimmy defending ron atkinsons racist comments about marcel desailly.

When asked whether Mr Atkinson should have resigned, Mr Hill insisted it was the "language of the football field".

The 75-year-old, who now presents a weekly programme on Sky Sports, added: "In that context, you wouldn't think that words like nigger were particularly insulting: it would be funny. Without meaning to insult any black men, it's us having fun.

"What about jokes about my long chin? I mean, nigger is black - so we have jokes where we call them niggers because they're black. Why should that be any more of an offence than someone calling me chinny?"

colcliff

it seems that the only thing people find fault in is that he went to south  Africa 
so did a lot of cricketers  and golfers none  who seen to get this brought up
while most of us would not agree with his tour most people still brought rings  with diamonds and gold and platignum all from south Africa
and although it was not making headlines like sports tours  in made their government  a lot more money
as i  said before no one is perfect and many who have knighthoods  have been a lot less than perfect
I just feel that over the years he has done a lot more for football  than others who get  this award

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: colcliff on November 12, 2014, 01:35:22 PM
it seems that the only thing people find fault in is that he went to south  Africa  
so did a lot of cricketers  and golfers none  who seen to get this brought up
while most of us would not agree with his tour most people still brought rings  with diamonds and gold and platignum all from south Africa
and although it was not making headlines like sports tours  in made their government  a lot more money
as i  said before no one is perfect and many who have knighthoods  have been a lot less than perfect
I just feel that over the years he has done a lot more for football  than others who get  this award

what do you think about the way he defended ron's comments.

epsomraver

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 12, 2014, 12:29:11 PM
Quote from: domprague on November 12, 2014, 12:26:33 PM
Also created the first all-seater stadium. How many funders of political parties do far worse than play football in South Africa?

He organised rebel tours, for great personal profit, at a time when ALL international sporting bodies were boycotting South Africa.

It wasn't a last pay day for an over the hill, down on his luck, player.

That Tony is total rubbish, he had no personal  money to help the club but his efforts behind the scenes are why we are still going, it makes me really angry when people who don't know the full facts but give an " account " of what they think happened slag Hill off.

win-dup

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 12, 2014, 01:03:19 PM
Maybe nearly all then.

I don't see it as a mistake - I see it as a deeply selfish, racist endeavour for which he was well paid. Others can see it differently but I don't have a high opinion of him.

I'd bet my house that you see ''racism'' everywhere. Without Jimmy Hill's initial efforts there would now no longer be a Fulham football club as we know it. Tell me, do you think Guy Gibson VC was racist too because of his dog's name?

TonyGilroy

Quote from: win-dup on November 12, 2014, 02:08:30 PM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 12, 2014, 01:03:19 PM
Maybe nearly all then.

I'd bet my house that you see ''racism'' everywhere. Without Jimmy Hill's initial efforts there would now no longer be a Fulham football club as we know it. Tell me, do you think Guy Gibson VC was racist too because of his dog's name?

And some people, like Mr Hill, choose to see racism nowhere.

Organising a rebel tour of apartheid South Africa was, I think, a racist act. Guy Gibson's dog name not in the context of the times although it would be today.

What do you make of Hill's support of Mr Atkinson?

colcliff

I do not want to get into a political debate on racism
and yes we all know what  Ron and Rodney marsh  and even |George  Best said  said but Paul Elliott used the same word  and although  he stood down from his position he is still very much involved in football
and there  are many who say things in private that  them make out they are whiter than white in public

any way as i said this is not about any thing more than  a man who has done a lot for his sport being shown some  honour

filham

As one who enjoyed his enthusiasm as a player and have seen him do so much good over the years in many different roles I think he is simply a great man and I am so pleased that he has strong Fulham links.

The knighthood system would have more credibility if the name of Jimmy Hill was on the list.

The Old Count

Jimmy Hill organised the tour with the multi racial non racist FCSA. (Football Council of South Africa).  Several English black players went on the tour.  A great many black South Africans welcomed the tour.

A mistake to go? Probably. A rascist agenda? No.

Given what Jimmy Hill did for FFC Mr Gilroy's comments are a tad harsh.

Peabody

I can remember Jimmy joining us along with Ron Greenwood, both signed from Brentford. Ron wasn't with us for long but JH spent the rest of his playing career with us, leaving to take over at Coventry. Whilst I am aware of his involvement with the South Africa venture, as far as I am concerned, I wil only judge him on his Fulham involvement. As a player, he always gave of his best, I too remember his barren spell, which ended with a hat trick ( good job the Internet wasn't around then). He also had the clubs best interest when he and Tom Wilson took over the running of the club.

domprague

All sporting bodies were supposed to boycott South Africa. Official international rugby teams played matches there and there were plenty of cricket tours. Apartheid South Africa was a shameful place and Hill should not have gone - but what I am saying is that many of those who have been honoured by governments have done a damn sight worse.

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 12, 2014, 12:29:11 PM
Also created the first all-seater stadium. How many funders of political parties do far worse than play football in South Africa?

He organised rebel tours, for great personal profit, at a time when ALL international sporting bodies were boycotting South Africa.

It wasn't a last pay day for an over the hill, down on his luck, player.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: colcliff on November 12, 2014, 07:33:03 AM
As I hear that Jimmy Hills health is fading is it not about time they gave this man a knighthood
Not perhaps the most gifted of players , but has probably done more to change the face of football than many others
I think  its about time  that a petition was taken up and sent to parliament  especially  when there are many others who have done a lot less that get these awards

Here's a few examples of KBE's and DBE's  etc

IT'S WHO YOU KNOW !

Prince Bola Ajibola (Nigeria) KBE 1989 Politics/Government Attorney-General and Minister of Justice of Nigeria, 1985–1991

Alhaji Abubakar Alhaji (Nigeria) KBE 1989 Politics/Government Minister of Budget and Planning of Nigeria, 1988–1990

George Bush  (Most Honourable Order of the Bath)

Angelina Jolie    United States, Cambodia DCMG 2014 Humanitarian    For services to the United Kingdom's foreign policy and for campaigning to end sexual violence in war zones.

Baron von Seckendorff German Empire GCVO 1904 Military (Vice-Admiral) Master of the Household to Prince Henry of Prussia    (Just before the 1st World War !!)

Kiran Shamsher Jang Bahadur Rana (Nepal) – Rana Dynasty      KBE       1945    Royalty

Sir Thomas John Parker, GBE Kt. (born 8 April 1942) is a British businessman. He is currently Chairman of Anglo American PLC and Ombu Group, Deputy Chairman of DP World, and a Director of EADS and Carnival Corporation & plc. He is also Past President of the Royal Academy of Engineering,[1] and a Visiting Fellow of the University of Oxford. Sir John has chaired five FTSE 100 companies, including National Grid plc, from which he stood down in December 2011. He was born in County Down, Northern Ireland.

Sir Francis Drake - SLAVE TRADER

Sir John Hawkins -  SLAVE TRADER

Another bunch of folks who have been knighted for doing their jobs and getting highly paid for it:

Sir Richard Langhorne, who was appointed C&W chairman in 2003, said he was "thrilled" to receive the honour and said it was "a great tribute to the fantastic work that the men and women of Cable & Wireless have put in."

He is among a handful of businessmen to be honoured by the Queen for services to business. David Chipperfield of David Chipperfield Architects will be knighted for services to architecture in the UK and Germany, and Ian Grant, former chairman of The Crown Estate, will also receive a knighthood.

Christopher Bolt, arbiter for the London Underground's public private partnership agreements, and former chairman of the Office of Rail Regulation, will be made a Companion of the Order of the Bath.

Ian Luder, the 681st Lord Mayor of London who stepped down last month, has become the first top City Alderman not to get a knighthood since Harold Howard in 1954. Instead Mr Luder, a former Labour councillor, will be awarded a CBE for public service.   SHAME

Michael John Marshall, chairman of engineering group Marshall of Cambridge, which designed and made the droop nose of the Concorde, receives a knighthood for services to business, charity and to the community in Cambridgeshire.

Dyfrig John, a 59-year-old banker who is credited with helping reshape HSBC's UK branch network during a 38-year career was made a CBE. He was only one in the sector to be honoured.

There were also CBEs for Lucian Grange, chairman and chief executive of Universal Music International, and Rodney Cousens, chief executive of computer games developer Codemasters.

Michelle Mone, the underwear entrepreneur and creator of the cleavage-enhancing Ultimo bra, received an OBE.    VERY WORTHY OF AN HONOURY TITLE

This system ranks along side my other subjects I advise people not to 'get me into'

The Catholic Church, Fine Art Museums,  Multi-million $ paintings,  Most Politicians  and Toffs

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I'd knight him just for the chin
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on November 12, 2014, 03:40:54 PM
Quote from: colcliff on November 12, 2014, 07:33:03 AM
As I hear that Jimmy Hills health is fading is it not about time they gave this man a knighthood
Not perhaps the most gifted of players , but has probably done more to change the face of football than many others
I think  its about time  that a petition was taken up and sent to parliament  especially  when there are many others who have done a lot less that get these awards

Here's a few examples of KBE's and DBE's  etc

IT'S WHO YOU KNOW !

Prince Bola Ajibola (Nigeria) KBE 1989 Politics/Government Attorney-General and Minister of Justice of Nigeria, 1985–1991

Alhaji Abubakar Alhaji (Nigeria) KBE 1989 Politics/Government Minister of Budget and Planning of Nigeria, 1988–1990

George Bush  (Most Honourable Order of the Bath)

Angelina Jolie    United States, Cambodia DCMG 2014 Humanitarian    For services to the United Kingdom's foreign policy and for campaigning to end sexual violence in war zones.

Baron von Seckendorff German Empire GCVO 1904 Military (Vice-Admiral) Master of the Household to Prince Henry of Prussia    (Just before the 1st World War !!)

Kiran Shamsher Jang Bahadur Rana (Nepal) – Rana Dynasty      KBE       1945    Royalty

Sir Thomas John Parker, GBE Kt. (born 8 April 1942) is a British businessman. He is currently Chairman of Anglo American PLC and Ombu Group, Deputy Chairman of DP World, and a Director of EADS and Carnival Corporation & plc. He is also Past President of the Royal Academy of Engineering,[1] and a Visiting Fellow of the University of Oxford. Sir John has chaired five FTSE 100 companies, including National Grid plc, from which he stood down in December 2011. He was born in County Down, Northern Ireland.

Sir Francis Drake - SLAVE TRADER

Sir John Hawkins -  SLAVE TRADER

Another bunch of folks who have been knighted for doing their jobs and getting highly paid for it:

Sir Richard Langhorne, who was appointed C&W chairman in 2003, said he was "thrilled" to receive the honour and said it was "a great tribute to the fantastic work that the men and women of Cable & Wireless have put in."

He is among a handful of businessmen to be honoured by the Queen for services to business. David Chipperfield of David Chipperfield Architects will be knighted for services to architecture in the UK and Germany, and Ian Grant, former chairman of The Crown Estate, will also receive a knighthood.

Christopher Bolt, arbiter for the London Underground's public private partnership agreements, and former chairman of the Office of Rail Regulation, will be made a Companion of the Order of the Bath.

Ian Luder, the 681st Lord Mayor of London who stepped down last month, has become the first top City Alderman not to get a knighthood since Harold Howard in 1954. Instead Mr Luder, a former Labour councillor, will be awarded a CBE for public service.   SHAME

Michael John Marshall, chairman of engineering group Marshall of Cambridge, which designed and made the droop nose of the Concorde, receives a knighthood for services to business, charity and to the community in Cambridgeshire.

Dyfrig John, a 59-year-old banker who is credited with helping reshape HSBC's UK branch network during a 38-year career was made a CBE. He was only one in the sector to be honoured.

There were also CBEs for Lucian Grange, chairman and chief executive of Universal Music International, and Rodney Cousens, chief executive of computer games developer Codemasters.

Michelle Mone, the underwear entrepreneur and creator of the cleavage-enhancing Ultimo bra, received an OBE.    VERY WORTHY OF AN HONOURY TITLE

This system ranks along side my other subjects I advise people not to 'get me into'

The Catholic Church, Fine Art Museums,  Multi-million $ paintings,  Most Politicians  and Toffs

What about Politician toffs who are catholics??
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Rupert

You forgot to mention that both Drake and Hawkins were pirates (okay, privateers).

One thing about the honours system, it turns republicans like Tony Robinson into royalists when they get the nod. So it isn't all bad is it?  :005:
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Mince n Tatties

First in England  you mean...

Barrett487

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 12, 2014, 10:08:37 AM

I don't think you get a knighthood for services to Fulham.

Maybe an ulcer more like?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Barrett487 on November 12, 2014, 05:14:39 PM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 12, 2014, 10:08:37 AM

I don't think you get a knighthood for services to Fulham.

Maybe an ulcer more like?

Or like me High Blood Pressure...lol

Barrett487

Quote from: Peabody on November 12, 2014, 03:17:20 PM
I can remember Jimmy joining us along with Ron Greenwood, both signed from Brentford. Ron wasn't with us for long but JH spent the rest of his playing career with us, leaving to take over at Coventry. Whilst I am aware of his involvement with the South Africa venture, as far as I am concerned, I wil only judge him on his Fulham involvement. As a player, he always gave of his best, I too remember his barren spell, which ended with a hat trick ( good job the Internet wasn't around then). He also had the clubs best interest when he and Tom Wilson took over the running of the club.

Mr P, i agree with your sentiments and have no real issues with JH. But politics and sport are unfortunately joined at the hip. The movement towards equality and devolution of apartheid was morally correct and individuals or organisations profiting from undermining this was abhorant. I do also hold the view that there were many others who should have been held more accountable than Jim for taking sport to South Africa.

Having said all that, i liked/like Jimmy and probably always will. Call me a hypocrite if you will.