https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jimmy Hill

Started by colcliff, November 12, 2014, 07:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 12, 2014, 12:29:11 PM
Quote from: domprague on November 12, 2014, 12:26:33 PM
Also created the first all-seater stadium. How many funders of political parties do far worse than play football in South Africa?

He organised rebel tours, for great personal profit, at a time when ALL international sporting bodies were boycotting South Africa.

It wasn't a last pay day for an over the hill, down on his luck, player.

Bit off subject but the late great George Formby and his wife went to S A and did a concert because they were very popular and mrs Formby was on stage and a black girl came on stage and she hugged her. The powers that be almost dragged the girl off her and condemned the gig and artists.
     They didn't cancel the tour, just played to concerts with half or less income but with no restrictions on anyone who came to see. Thought it deserved a mention as due to popularity she, SHE a strong woman, told the c***s were to go.

mullers

I served my apprenticeship in the '70's and everyone had a nickname, and a few had racist and sexist overtones. What was important to me then [and still is now] was that no-one went without breakfast when they struggled in on Monday broke and hungover, and we had whip rounds to support people when they had major issues, regardless of who or what they were.

I'm not defending those nicknames, and I'm glad we have to be more PC these days, but it's something I grew up with and in my youth I accepted. JH is twenty years older than me and he has often sounded and acted a bit foolish. It is not acceptable, and I think we all have a responsibility to respect the feelings of others. If he did truly believe in apartheid then that's unacceptable; but we are all children of the age we live in.

Berserker

When ever i mention Jimmy Hill at home,Mr B whips out his i pad and plays the Scottish chant about him via you tube
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.