watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Get real and grow up

Started by Baszab, December 26, 2014, 08:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Arthur, reasoned and well responded (as others have also noted) though I would challenge any assertion that Kit has not been up to the task and another manager, whomever, would have produced better results from the squad inherited.

Yep, its all hypothetical, we'll never know, but even if another manager had done better against Bournemouth, can we be certain that would be the same for all the matches, even where Kit has shown success?

And finally, given the predicament we were left in after the 8 games, how many of those class managers might have stayed around and not done a Sparky had our success not have been a play-off position come the end of the season?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Artful Dodger

Quote from: Arthur on December 27, 2014, 02:39:55 AM
Quote from: Baszab on December 26, 2014, 08:26:33 PM
No team wins every game - not with this mismatched squad of juniors for certain that Magath left us with

This seems to be your mantra and yet it has rather a hollow ring: our two centre-backs, our centre midfield pairing and our two strikers today were all experienced players (and our left-back has 60-odd appearances under his belt, so he's not exactly wet behind the ears.)

Surely we have all written off this season by now and are just looking to steady the ship for next year

No, I hadn't written off this season (with good reason).

Before today, we had amassed 27 points from our previous 14 matches. Before today, with 24 games left, a further 47 points would give us a total that has been enough to qualify for the play-offs in each of the past five seasons.

all this rubbish about the tactics we should have played is errant nonsense...

Is it?

Eddie Howe seemed to have done his homework. Just like Watford a few weeks ago, his team played at a high tempo from the first whistle, and just like the Watford game, we weren't prepared for it. Bournemouth fashioned three decent chances even before they scored. They produced 10 minutes of power-play and we were simply swept aside.

- he is getting the absolute best possible out of what we have at the moment

Maybe.

It is worth remembering, however, that we had the chance to appoint Chris Hughton, an experienced manager whose record suggests that we might have given Bournemouth more of a test than we did today.

Be realistic

Indeed!
After 8 games when we had 1 point, how many would have assumed we would get 27 points from 15 games? If anyone had said that, they would have been shot down for being far too optimistic! How can people say Kit hasn't got the best from the squad is beyond me! We have the odd blip, which is almost inevitable given the way the team didn't know each other when Kit took over, and Kit gets a slating!

I wasn't there yesterday so I cant comment on whether they didn't bother trying, which is some of what I have read, but we need a dose of reality here. I for one would have taken nearly 2 points a game average and I am sure Kit would as well. In Kit I trust! 
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Arthur

Quote from: Artful Dodger on December 27, 2014, 11:09:44 AM
After 8 games when we had 1 point, how many would have assumed we would get 27 points from 15 games? How can people say Kit hasn't got the best from the squad is beyond me!

As you might expect from my previous post, I am not surprised at our form.

You, it seems, have made the assumption that the single point that we gained from our opening eight fixtures shows that we have one of the a poorer squads at this level. I don't agree. I believe that our squad is a good one - less inexperienced than many, but talented. And I am still to be convinced that Kit is getting the best out of the players that we have.

By way of illustration, on the basis of yesterday, I doubt that Eddie Howe would want to replace a single man in his Bournemouth side with his Fulham counterpart for their next match, such was the gulf in the performance of the two teams. Had Howe, however, been able to add the likes of McCormack, Parker et al to his squad at the beginning of the season, I suspect he would be picking a rather different starting XI with, arguably, half of his outfield players coming from the current Fulham team.

Of course, (as has been pointed out already) this is all hypothetical. The fact is that we have amassed 27 points from 15 matches and if we maintained this form throughout an entire season, we would certainly qualify for the play-offs. There is no case to be made for saying that Kit doesn't deserve to continue as our manager.

Nonetheless, I contend that we have been comprehensively outplayed in each of the last three defeats we have suffered. Our victories, on the other hand, tend to have a common theme in that the scoreline exceeds the performance. While, understandably, many will simply look at the results and be satisfied, it is not unreasonable to note these trends and reserve judgement on Symons's suitability until it becomes clearer whether he has the qualities to lead a genuine attempt to be promoted back to the Premier League next season. 

BestOfBrede

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on December 26, 2014, 09:58:01 PM
Quote from: Andy S on December 26, 2014, 08:37:30 PM
I feel really sorry for Bournemouth because they are not even very good. They are good at what they do but should they get promoted they will have just one season in the top flight. They could well be relegated with less points than any club previously relegated. The Reason being is their Stadium holds a maximum 10,000. That is very sad. It means that they will have no money to spend. So good luck to them this season

They are top on merit and if they are promoted they have earnt that right just like everyone else. They most likely would go back down straight away but how incredible it will be for their fans to experience it for just one year.

I'd rather a club live a disbelieving dream like we did in Europe than a club like Leeds take their "rightful' place back amongst the others on their pedestal.

Good luck to them, they deserve it. Probably the smallest club ever to make it if they do
Nah, that's QPR!

Black and White Town

I feel really sorry for Bournemouth because they are not even very good.

15 consecutive championship matches unbeaten.
"Not very good"
Righto.

win-dup

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on December 26, 2014, 09:58:01 PM
I feel really sorry for Bournemouth because they are not even very good. They are good at what they do but should they get promoted they will have just one season in the top flight. They could well be relegated with less points than any club previously relegated. The Reason being is their Stadium holds a maximum 10,000. That is very sad. It means that they will have no money to spend. So good luck to them this season

They are top on merit and if they are promoted they have earnt that right just like everyone else. They most likely would go back down straight away but how incredible it will be for their fans to experience it for just one year.

I'd rather a club live a disbelieving dream like we did in Europe than a club like Leeds take their "rightful' place back amongst the others on their pedestal.

Good luck to them, they deserve it. Probably the smallest club ever to make it if they do

Hear hear! Surely this is what football is all about?