watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official 2015 Silly Season Transfer Thread

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 03, 2015, 11:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walsh

I personalyl think Gayle will be a class signing for ourselves. We need a player who isn't scared to run with the ball, the only player close to that is Kaca from our team last season.

The signing of Pringle, Cairney and now Gayle will allow us to counter-attack quicker... if Kit lets them.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on August 02, 2015, 11:42:18 AM
Quote from: shnlwswlkr on August 02, 2015, 11:40:06 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on August 02, 2015, 11:38:09 AM
According to the rumour pages,Matt Smith
not in Kits plans and Bristol bound.
Make of it as you will..

Hopefully.

Why?
I like Matt.

I like Matt Smith also, he could do an important job for us with his size and ability to find the net more often than anyone else we have who plays up front, if he is let go, it tells you more about Symons than it does about Smith.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 02, 2015, 01:00:01 PM
Make of it as you will..

Hopefully.

Why?
I like Matt.

I like Matt Smith also, he could do an important job for us with his size and ability to find the net more often than anyone else we have who plays up front, if he is let go, it tells you more about Symons than it does about Smith.
What does it tell you about Kit if he let's smith go?

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk

Chutney

Make of it as you will..

Hopefully.

Why?
I like Matt.

it tells us that Kit doesn't rate Smith and intends to bring in someone better?
C O Y W

fulhamben

Make of it as you will..

Hopefully.

Why?
I like Matt.

how will we replace the 5 goals he scored for us last season. you make it sound like he was our top scorer
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

SKSW6

Quote from: fulhamben on August 02, 2015, 01:27:06 PM
Make of it as you will..

Hopefully.

Why?
I like Matt.

how will we replace the 5 goals he scored for us last season. you make it sound like he was our top scorer

5 goals in 15 games, including only 8 starts (I think).

fulhamben

Quote from: SKSW6 on August 02, 2015, 01:31:21 PM
Make of it as you will..

Hopefully.

Why?
I like Matt.

which is still only 5 goals. think mjg posted a stat showing he misses the most chances a while back. we play crap ineffective route one football when he plays

grandad

Make of it as you will..

Hopefully.

Why?
I like Matt.

Name me another Fulham player who can score using either foot & also his head, hold the ball up & lay off for others. I can only think of Smith.
Where there's a will there's a wife

fulhamben

Quote from: grandad on August 02, 2015, 01:36:19 PM
Make of it as you will..

Hopefully.

Why?
I like Matt.

Name me another Fulham player who can score using either foot & also his head, hold the ball up & lay off for others. I can only think of Smith.
well if hes that good, he will be nailed on to start for us wont he

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: fulhamben on August 02, 2015, 01:44:58 PM
Make of it as you will..

Hopefully.

Why?
I like Matt.

That's the problem. Kit doesn't fancy him so even though he was second I think to Ross in goals per minute (it was close as well) he isn't started.

@jolslover

"Name me another Fulham player who can score using either foot & also his head, hold the ball up & lay off for others. I can only think of Smith."

Literally describing Mitroglou here. #KeepTheGreek
STH H3

Skatzoffc

Quote from: fulhamben on August 02, 2015, 01:44:58 PM
Make of it as you will..

Hopefully.

Why?
I like Matt.

Unfortunately he wont start Ben. Because we have Kit the genius tactician in charge.

We have nobody who does what Matt does. And he cost us buttons.
Keep in imo.

COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

MJG

Seems the argument from Smith to start fans is if you don't want him the team you know nothing.

Craven Mad

But the argument from the Smith to go fans is to ignore the empirical evidence that he scores goals and offers good link-play with Ross, and just say "he's rubbish, he should go"... This isn't a debate like "who's our best CB?" as there are useful statistics to quantify what Matt brings to a team, which is being flat-out ignored by those who see a tall striker and instantly brand him "a long-ball lump" - which couldn't be more wrong in this instance.

From my seat, I rate him, I do think Gayle or Mitro would be better options next to Ross, but Matt is a class above Cauley and Moussa (currently), likely to be a 15+ goal striker, can use both feet, causes trouble in the opposition box, useful for defending and attacking set-pieces, is very different from the other strikers we have and won't be costing too much.

I see no benefit in letting him go. Even from the bench or as a rotation option I think he's a valuable squad member.

MJG

Just to clarify yet again I have not said sell him or get rid. Fine for me as a plan B, but not a starter, not given the movement we need now with the players we have in midfield. They will be looking for runners and players into space.Something that Smith is not that great about.

Steven Ageroad

If Smith plays the opposition know our game plan, hoof it up to Smith, they then block him out of the game. That maybe League one football but not Championship style.

Nero

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on August 02, 2015, 02:59:40 PM
If Smith plays the opposition know our game plan, hoof it up to Smith, they then block him out of the game. That maybe League one football but not Championship style.

Yep with that diamond last year no one knew our game plan.

But when we are hanging on for a draw or a one nil win and getting battered its a good outlet long ball hold it up lay it off either waste time, creates an opportunity or get a set piece that we are so dangerous from and if Burns on the pitch as well 2 6'4 blokes on the pitch mark them.

It not about him starting it about offering something different be able to change our style of play if we aren't doing well. Its about tatics and changing something when things arent going your way it what  good managers know about

grandad

Playing Smith does not mean "hoof ball". Now we have better wide players who can cross a ball Smith would be in his element. Bristol City did not play "hoof ball" when he was on loan. The only player we have that plays "hoof ball" is Hutchinson as he knows nothing else. He does it no matter who is up front.
I do not advocate starting Smith every game, just those where the opponents are weak in CD or as something to keep other sides guessing.Rotating Smith, Dembele, Taggart to partner Ross is ideal.
I have left out Woodrow as he is not our answer for a goal scorer.
Where there's a will there's a wife

fulhamben

Quote from: Nero on August 02, 2015, 04:45:19 PM
Quote from: Steven Ageroad on August 02, 2015, 02:59:40 PM

Yep with that diamond last year no one knew our game plan.

But when we are hanging on for a draw or a one nil win and getting battered its a good outlet long ball hold it up lay it off either waste time, creates an opportunity or get a set piece that we are so dangerous from and if Burns on the pitch as well 2 6'4 blokes on the pitch mark them.

It not about him starting it about offering something different be able to change our style of play if we aren't doing well. Its about tatics and changing something when things arent going your way it what  good managers know about
i dont think smiths hold up play is that good, certainly not better than cauleys. and when you are holding on you what a striker to run it into the corners, once again not smiths strong point.