News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jack Wilshere, the new Gazza or just a fool who thinks he is?

Started by Nick Bateman, June 05, 2015, 10:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Upon seeing the FA eventually react to Jack Wilshere's foul-mouthed behaviour on the Arsenal victory bus parade, one wonders if the midfielder perhaps believed the daily hype from the "Gooner" favourable press, and decided he can behave however he wishes because he is already an established star!?

Wilshere's acclaimers would compare his style to Paul "Gazza" Gascoigne; his surges through the centre of midfield, is sometimes reckless in the challenge, gives 100%.

The detractors would point out, Gazza was VASTLY more skillful, able to dribble around opponents rather than Wilshere's straight-line approach, physically bigger and stronger than the diminutive Wilshere and capable of scoring many goals, something the Arsenal young man struggles to do.  Indeed, Gazza had a mean free-kick technique, which Arsenal suffered to Spurs in the semis of an FA Cup when the two teams met.

The only similarity I feel is the wayward behaviour of both players.  Gazza was a mercurial genius and perhaps it followed he should have personality flaws.  Wilshere on the other hand, has not even achieved anything of note, despite the adoration of the popular press, yet has soiled his character more with various msidemeanours and even a common assault against a couple to add to his lore.  For such a young chap it is disturbing, and I am glad the FA have chosen to act rather than continually ignore his poor example to today's youth.

If "Jack's Back" Wilshere worked harder on the football on the pitch, choose to stay on his feet rather than dive as he often does, he can impress and get closer to that player he prematurely is being mantled with.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Forever Fulham

Count Berbatov (miss him) and I used to confer about Wilshere  not living up to the Second Coming billing that the fans vested in him.  Where are you Count?  Come back to us!

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Forever Fulham on June 05, 2015, 10:44:08 PM
Count Berbatov (miss him) and I used to confer about Wilshere  not living up to the Second Coming billing that the fans vested in him.  Where are you Count?  Come back to us!

I used to nickname him "Baldie" Berbatov, but "Count" sounds more accurate.

fulhamben

i actually think this is the most stupid thing the fa has ever charged a player for.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Nero

whiltshire just looks like another young talent abusing his skills away

Nick Bateman

Quote from: fulhamben on June 05, 2015, 10:50:15 PM
i actually think this is the most stupid thing the fa has ever charged a player for.

I don't think so Ben.  Would you like John Terry, from our rivals, having won a trophy go out-of-his-way to gloat at Fulham and encourage fans to swear at us and then repeat the abuse in midst of a celebratory occasion? 

As David James (famous goalkeeper) said on Talksport last night in disagreement with the generally anti-Spurs Andy Goldstein, where do you draw the line??

One cannot have players doing this, and in their moment of joy, more so. 

Jimpav

Wilshere has never lived up to his hype. This isn't a problem if you keep your head down and your nose clean but he seems to struggle with this.

Walcott hasn't lived up to his hype either but comes across as decent enough bloke and pretty intelligent. Wilshere could do with taking a leaf out of his book.

Anyway, no, he's not as good as Gazza yet but also not as wreckless. Just a bit of a tw@t basically.

fulhamben

Quote from: Nick Bateman on June 05, 2015, 11:00:16 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on June 05, 2015, 10:50:15 PM

I don't think so Ben.  Would you like John Terry, from our rivals, having won a trophy go out-of-his-way to gloat at Fulham and encourage fans to swear at us and then repeat the abuse in midst of a celebratory occasion? 

As David James (famous goalkeeper) said on Talksport last night in disagreement with the generally anti-Spurs Andy Goldstein, where do you draw the line??

One cannot have players doing this, and in their moment of joy, more so. 
well if we are drawing the line at songs against your rivals with swear words in then we all need to be charged. god forbid an arsenal supporter who has just won the cup gets carried away with his fans in one of the very few occassions he can actually adress them.

you lucky people

in a midfield that includes Ozil, Santi Cazorla and Sanchez he is a little boy lost, he needs to get his head down and prove to Arsene that he can live in that Company, or he will remain a bit part player acting like Jack the Lad
'Remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean, cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.'

fulhamben

Quote from: you lucky people on June 06, 2015, 08:43:40 AM
in a midfield that includes Ozil, Santi Cazorla and Sanchez he is a little boy lost, he needs to get his head down and prove to Arsene that he can live in that Company, or he will remain a bit part player acting like Jack the Lad

bit part player? when fit he plays for them. you might not of liked what he done off field, but its very clear wenger likes what he does on it

leonffc

I love the way Wilshire plays, with his head up, not afraid to try a pass, great technical ability. Similar to how Gazza played but I wouldn't compare them.

As for his personality? He hails from my town, Hitchin, and has always had a bit of a reputation as being arrogant since school (possibly that self belief got him far in his development).
I don't claim to know him personally but I know a lot of people that are very close to him (brother in law inc), that obviously like him. And when I've seen him about at his brothers cup finals etc he's always seemed humble.

The problem is he is a bit of a 'jack the lad', but a fool? Why? An estate lad celebrating a cup win by having a few beers and singing a song that the fans can relate to?
In an age where players are seen as aloof and distant from the fans, where there are no characters left in football and when someone breaks that mould they are hammered for it!!
A bit like Gazza maybe but nowhere near comparable!!

cmg

Wilshere? Tunnicliffe? Sanctimonious claptrap. The FA should remove its collective heads from its collective backsides and concentrate on some of the real problems facing football. Not over-egoed, under-educated kids just messing about like kids do.

Blanco

I don't think Wilsher did anything wrong. He's an Arsenal fan and dislikes Spurs. Fans spend 90 minutes(more outside the pitch) swearing and slagging off their opponents. Stupid for the FA to charge him.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Gazza was a unique talent, a game changer. Wilshere is very good but not in the same league. Where Hodgson plays him for England is ideal, if Wenger concentrated on playing him as a deep lying playmaker, he could be an even better player.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

leonffc

Quote from: Blanco on June 06, 2015, 05:33:23 PM
I don't think Wilsher did anything wrong. He's an Arsenal fan and dislikes Spurs. Fans spend 90 minutes(more outside the pitch) swearing and slagging off their opponents. Stupid for the FA to charge him.

I think he is/was a West Ham fan but he's been there since 9 or 10 so I guess his allegiance has switched.
Totally agree though, what has he really done wrong? It's pathetic!