watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tom Cairney

Started by jimmyc19, June 21, 2015, 07:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrett487

I lifted from their forum. They seem to think they'd miss him, but maybe more interested in how to bring a replacement in. Anyway, this chap posted some stats.

Posted 24 minutes ago
I'm working on some stats regarding how we performed with and without Cairney last season. I haven't finished, as I need to figure the best way to break down the games where he was subbed on or off, but here's the broad strokes I have so far. Note that games include cup games, so 'points' are just what would have been awarded if they were league games.

Cairney playing (irrespective of subs on or off)
P: 45
W: 17  (37.77%)
D: 16  (35.55%)
L: 12  (26.66%)
Scored: 65  (1.44 per game)  (3 scored by him, 8 assists)
Conceded: 53  (1.17 per game)
Red Carded: 1
Yellow Carded: 8

Without Cairney (at all)
P: 7
W: 3 (42.85%)
D: 1 (14.28%)
L: 3 (42.85%)
Scored: 10 (1.42 per game)
Conceded: 11 (1.57 per game)

The stats for which position he played, and for when I've found the best way to show the way results went during his actual game time will be more useful...he did come on or off in quite a few games, whilst the 7 games where he didn't play at all are a very small sample to be statistically useful.

I've also just used squawka.com to run a comparison between Cairney, Lowe, Williamson and Evans on a few other stats. These are per 90 minutes, not just per game.

Tackles Won
Team: 13.3
Cairney: 1.48
Lowe: 0.71
Williamson: 2
Evans: 1.26

Tackles Lost
Team: 13.23
Cairney: 1.73
Lowe: 1.11
Williamson: 1.53
Evans: 2.47

Pass Completion
Team: 73%
Cairney: 85%
Lowe: 78%
Williamson: 80%
Evans: 84%

Total Forward Passes
Team: 251.23
Cairney: 32.83
Lowe: 26.12
Williamson: 33.09
Evans: 32

Chances Created
Team: 11.1
Cairney: 2.78
Lowe: 0.51
Williamson: 0.74
Evans: 0.69

Interesting website. Personally think those stats put paid to the myth that the team is weaker defensively with Cairney, or that he doesn't put himself into (and win) tackles. They also show that Evans was a very sloppy tackler, and that Williamson was our most efficient one. Stats aren't everything, but still.

Brilliant post again.

Interesting that we scored more and conceded less with him in:

Shows what I thought all along in that as far as defensive midfielders go Williamson is our most effective.

shnlwswlkr

Any news on this? Has gone from pretty much complete, wait for the announcement... To silence.
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

FPT

Quote from: shnlwswlkr on June 24, 2015, 07:00:28 PM
Any news on this? Has gone from pretty much complete, wait for the announcement... To silence.

As did Ben Pringle to be fair, went a few days of silence and then pop, it confirmed.

westcliff white

according to twitter and press our enquiry rejected out of hand, who knows if thats the truth though as reports prior to that had a fee being agreed.
Every day is a Fulham day

shnlwswlkr

Quote from: FPT on June 24, 2015, 07:12:51 PM
Quote from: shnlwswlkr on June 24, 2015, 07:00:28 PM

As did Ben Pringle to be fair, went a few days of silence and then pop, it confirmed.

Fingers crossed.
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

fulhamben

where would he play though. i read an article the other day about how he was frustrated at playing on the right and not in the middle.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

ToodlesMcToot

We need something to happen soon. The board is in limbo it seems. We've had two decent signings fairly early on. So, the "Kit out!", "Khan out!" posts have faded,.....temporarily. And, the new has worn off Pringle (going to be very hard to avoid unhealthy snacking on game days now) and Lonergan (sp?).

A good signing is needed to spice things up a bit. Might as well be Cairney. Why not?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

mike_corkcity12

Quote from: fulhamben on June 24, 2015, 07:43:30 PM
where would he play though. i read an article the other day about how he was frustrated at playing on the right and not in the middle.
If we buy him he would be a shoe in to start. I consider LVC to be our only decent central midfield player. Hyndman still has to be nurtured. Parker and Tunnicliffe are borderline useless for us.

fulhamben

Quote from: mike_corkcity12 on June 24, 2015, 07:59:30 PM
If we buy him he would be a shoe in to start. I consider LVC to be our only decent central midfield player. Hyndman still has to be nurtured. Parker and Tunnicliffe are borderline useless for us.
but in what formation. a flat four, you wouldnt start lvc in the middle with him as both are more attacking. 

FPT

Yes I've heard this, not read though, and many a Blackburn fan seems to see him as a central midfielder. I just fear what that would end up doing to Lasse Vigen Christensen. In a 442, we surely can't have both in the middle? Tom Cairney played 16 games on the right last season grabbing three goals and three assists, in his 16 games in central and attacking midfield, just two assists.

With the abilities of Cairney, I can only see him on the right really, I think that's where we'd see the best of both him and Lasse Vigen Christensen. You probably could rotate Cairney and LVC throughout a game in - and it'd also create the possibility of as Cairney drifts in from the right with the ball, LVC could overlap from central midfield and sneak in between. All theoretical of course.

So, I've heard he's not into playing in the right, but his statistics suggest thats where his best and from watching bits and pieces of him I would agree that he's best floating inwards with the ball, somewhat of a Damien Duff and Bryan Ruiz hybrid in how he can whip in balls on his left foot or simply ease the ball around and move. In terms of central attacking from deep, Lasse Vigen Christensen seems the better footballer, though Christensen has only had the one season behind him of course.

That's just how I see things, I've not physically read quotes or actually heard him say that he doesn't like playing there, if true, things get a bit confusing for me. But we shall wait and see.

ToodlesMcToot

I prefer to sign players of his quality especially if it calls into question the starting place of a current midfield option in this club. It truly has been far too long since we've had battles for starting positions in midfield ...... something that speaks to the lack of quality and quality in depth. The deeper we are in midfield and the hungrier those players are for minutes, the better the club will be for it. Sign him up!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Craven Mad

Quote from: fulhamben on June 25, 2015, 12:53:59 PM
a fan on the blackburn site is claiming this is neigh on done and dusted  http://www.brfcc.com/mb/index.php/topic/30543-transfer-talk-part-2/page-22

If you're gonna nick my post you could at least link to the correct page of their fourm...

fulhamben

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 25, 2015, 12:59:10 PM
a fan on the blackburn site is claiming this is neigh on done and dusted  http://www.brfcc.com/mb/index.php/topic/30543-transfer-talk-part-2/page-22

If you're gonna nick my post you could at least link to the correct page of their fourm...
sorry didnt see it in the silly season

Craven Mad

Quote from: fulhamben on June 25, 2015, 01:02:18 PM
a fan on the blackburn site is claiming this is neigh on done and dusted  http://www.brfcc.com/mb/index.php/topic/30543-transfer-talk-part-2/page-22

If you're gonna nick my post you could at least link to the correct page of their forum...

You happen to post the same link as me from a random Rovers forum just 5 minutes after I do? Nice try..

The bloke talking about the Cairney deal happened on page 21.

Chesh

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 25, 2015, 01:06:33 PM

If you're gonna nick my post you could at least link to the correct page of their forum...

You happen to post the same link as me from a random Rovers forum just 5 minutes after I do? Nice try..

Well it was on TIFF at 11.34, so maybe he got it from there.........
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

FFC1987

Quote from: Chesh on June 25, 2015, 01:26:01 PM

Wow, are you getting royalties or something? Blimey.

shnlwswlkr

Loads of Twitter activity in the last hour about this saying it's now done. £3m rising to £3.5m on how we do...
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

Riversider

Sky Sports News now reporting that he is having a medical at Fulham.

Rhys Lightning 63

Something has just occured to me. Given our signing of Ben Pringle, in addition to this one with Tom Cairney, we MUST be getting rid of the diamond
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Black, White and Fred

Quote from: FFC1987 on June 25, 2015, 01:34:30 PM
Quote from: Chesh on June 25, 2015, 01:26:01 PM

Wow, are you getting royalties or something? Blimey.

:005:
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996