News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why did Lonergan play the 1st hour yesterday?

Started by NJFulham, July 12, 2015, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJFulham

fulhamben

Quote from: NJFulham on July 12, 2015, 10:14:35 PM
Is he 1st choice keeper to start?
got to have a look at him at some point, from yesterday alone, id still say betts is number one
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

westcliff white

As betts had only just returned to training this week, where as lonegran had a week or so more
Every day is a Fulham day

Rhys Lightning 63

I reckon Kit wanted to get a closer look at him in person, he's had 8 months of seeing what Betts can do.

Also, I highly doubt that was anywhere near our first team, so I'm not reading too much into it
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

MJG

Betts only arrived the day before and Rodak and Lonegan shared duties against Millwall.
So 30 mins for Betts who hasn't played for over a month is fine.

Scrumpy

I happen to think that Lonergan will surprise people and be number 1 choice.

I am in a minority.  :028:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

ToodlesMcToot

would make much more sense to have a true competition for the spot rather than anoint one or the other from the start. the team will be better off for it and competition like it all over the pitch.

the name of the game is promotion to the PL and not promote so and so because we all like him
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

SouthfieldWhite

Quote from: Scrumpy on July 12, 2015, 10:34:15 PM

I also think Lonergan will start as No.1 also

mike_corkcity12

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on July 12, 2015, 11:03:30 PM

I also think Lonergan will start as No.1 also
Why? That would surprise me. Also surprised that Kit didn't bring Freddy Plumain or Cassasola with the squad to Portugal. Clearly neither are in his plans. Have the u18's signed anyone decent?

Andy S

I don't know what all the fuss is about. This is all about getting the whole squad fit

Wingnut

Wouldn't surprise me either. He is very experienced at Championship level and knows what is required of a keeper at that level.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

valdeingruo

Bets will come out of the tunnel as first choice on opening day. We do have a good player to take the reigns if things get sticky. We did not have that last season. There was maybe a 3-4 match spell where I would have preferred to take Bets out of the firing line, but then we had Kiraly.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

fulhamben

Quote from: Wingnut on July 12, 2015, 11:36:23 PM

Wouldn't surprise me either. He is very experienced at Championship level and knows what is required of a keeper at that level.
like stopping the ball from going in the goal. we just need to pick the best keeper who ever that may be. both played about the same amount of games last season, both let in too many goals.both are 6ft4. betts has actually played more games in the last 3 seasons. either lonergan had an off day or his distribution is some what lacking. personally dont think experience counts for much in a goal keeper, especially when your other keeper has played more regularly of late. so yes id be suprised if betts is dropped for a keeper who isnt a massive upgrade.

Barrett487

How can we predict this? Lonergan has vast experience, but Bettinelli has had an impressive season despite his lack of his years. It's a no-brainer, Kit and his coaching team work with both guys, so let them select the man that impresses. I don't understand the obsession of picking players despite not having seen them perform in training.

fulhamben

Quote from: Barrett487 on July 13, 2015, 12:21:04 AM
How can we predict this? Lonergan has vast experience, but Bettinelli has had an impressive season despite his lack of his years. It's a no-brainer, Kit and his coaching team work with both guys, so let them select the man that impresses. I don't understand the obsession of picking players despite not having seen them perform in training.
how does training count more than what happens on a match day though?

Barrett487

Quote from: fulhamben on July 13, 2015, 12:25:16 AM
It doesn't Ben, but 60 minutes of a meaningless friendly, playing with new team-mates and letting in a faultless goal doesn't exclude Lonergan from selection.

fulhamben

Quote from: Barrett487 on July 13, 2015, 12:29:23 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 13, 2015, 12:25:16 AM
It doesn't Ben, but 60 minutes of a meaningless friendly, playing with new team-mates and letting in a faultless goal doesn't exclude Lonergan from selection.
nor does it put him inline to replace our number one.

Barrett487

Unless he's better. I would ask you to judge him once he's settled in. I hope Betts is confirmed as our no.1 based on his great performances last season, however i'm open-minded about Lonergan, and i would expect all fair-minded Fulham fans to be. After all we'd never be small-minded enough to judge a GK on his leggings would we?

fulhamben

Quote from: Barrett487 on July 13, 2015, 12:37:53 AM
Unless he's better. I would ask you to judge him once he's settled in. I hope Betts is confirmed as our no.1 based on his great performances last season, however i'm open-minded about Lonergan, and i would expect all fair-minded Fulham fans to be. After all we'd never be small-minded enough to judge a GK on his leggings would we?
we were spot on with the leggins though. and lets not forget betts was linked with chelsea earlier, so given the choice would you rather sit on chelseas bench or ours. just think it would be harsh to bench betts after last season, especially as lonergans wasnt better. at andys age, he isnt going to get better, although he could stick around for 5 to6 years without much decline. where as betts could go all the way. especially now when we already have the uncertainties of roberts and dembeles, do we really want to risk upsetting another youngster who has already shinned for us

Barrett487

You misunderstand me Ben, i'm not championing Lonergan, i'm just asking people to let Kit decide. You obviously want Betts to start.... so do i, but not to the point of 'blind faith'.