watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Steklenburg

Started by Toby Ward-Smith, July 30, 2015, 09:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Ward-Smith

Steklenburg has played the full 90 tonight and hasn't had much to do but made one brilliant save at 2-0. Nice to see our Europa league run get spoken about by the commentators too with Roy there.

Wingnut

Solid performance from him, with one very good save at 2-0, as you said. Good to see him getting games.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

FPT

Thanks for the update.

Don't think I'll ever want him back, though hate to put it so ruthlessly, hopefully he can stay fit and put in a good season that'll make Southampton or another club take him off of our hands.

westcliff white

Top quality keeper when fully fit showed it tonight
Every day is a Fulham day

Baws

I don't think there is any doubt about his ability, it just didn't seem to work out for him at Fulham. He'll have to stay on top of his game though to keep Forster out when he's fully fit.

colinwhite

He is a good reactive shot- stopping keeper,who prefers to stay on his line and not that great at dominating his box . He had the misfortune to replace M schwarzer who was a good as anyone at taking crosses pumped into our box . A poor decision by Jol to get Stek to take over from MS. He was not the sort of keeper we needed.

RaySmith

He also seemed physically, and maybe psychologically, fragile when at Fulham.

Obviously talented, he could do well somewhere else, but we don't need him back.

ClarksOriginal

Had this to say about Fulham today:

"Monaco was not frustrating - no, it was my escape my Fulham... it was my only way out"
"I know my level, I know what I can do, but you also need a chance to show it. I am just happy with this chance here"
"The mentality of this team is really good, if I compare with other teams I have played for"

More quotes from Simon Peach here: https://twitter.com/SimonPeach
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on July 31, 2015, 01:28:15 PM

"Monaco was not frustrating - no, it was my escape my Fulham... it was my only way out"
"I know my level, I know what I can do, but you also need a chance to show it. I am just happy with this chance here"
"The mentality of this team is really good, if I compare with other teams I have played for"

To be fair, nothing he has said is overly unreasonable.  He (and others) were practically ostracised from the first team under Magath and he showed no intention to play them, and we are mentally weak - once we went down a goal last season how many of us legitimately believed we could fight back to win or get a point?

snarks

Steks played well (I was there), his kicking was good, his reactions were good and he was continually shouting at the defence when he wanted something.

He is a good keeper, just he joined Fulham at a time when the back 4 went into meltdown, and havint had a hard time in Italy, he didn't need a bad defence in front of him. TBH he reminded me of VDS, and given the right team around him, could have been as good for Fulham as VDS was.

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: God The Mechanic on July 31, 2015, 01:58:19 PM
Quote from: ClarksOriginal on July 31, 2015, 01:28:15 PM

To be fair, nothing he has said is overly unreasonable.  He (and others) were practically ostracised from the first team under Magath and he showed no intention to play them, and we are mentally weak - once we went down a goal last season how many of us legitimately believed we could fight back to win or get a point?

Not saying he was unreasonable, just thought I would add to the thread.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

b+w geezer

Quote from: snarks on July 31, 2015, 01:59:08 PM
Steks played well (I was there)
So was I and can't share the enthusiasm. Maybe unrepresentative bad luck, but on the occasions I followed us away in the midlands or north he unfailingly let in a soft goal at a crucial stage. I too hope he rediscovers form at Southampton and they sign him permanently. Best all round.

snarks

Most of my Southampton supporting colleagues thought his distribution was better than Forster, and certainly a huge upgrade on Boric.

I agree with you about his performances for Fulham, but as I said due to the poor back 4 and tactics in front of him, finally killing any confidence. You don't concede the number of goals that Fulham have over the last 2 seasons without major problems in the back 4/midfield.

Jims Dentist

At the time we signed him we were also strongly linked with Jack Buckland, then at Brum. We could have got Buckland a lot cheaper, I know that is hindsight, but that was Jol for you, he was inclined to go for players he knew, even in this case when the keeper came with a questionmark over his previous injuries.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: colinwhite on July 31, 2015, 10:26:18 AM
He is a good reactive shot- stopping keeper,who prefers to stay on his line and not that great at dominating his box . He had the misfortune to replace M schwarzer who was a good as anyone at taking crosses pumped into our box . A poor decision by Jol to get Stek to take over from MS. He was not the sort of keeper we needed.

Good points Colin.

Imo it certainly didn't help him.

I feel he will get a good run of games, be seen on the tv and someone will come in for him when they get their normal GK (Forster) back.

All good for us from a money pov.

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !