watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Shahid Khan

Started by The Rock, August 20, 2015, 12:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mighty Maik

Is it bashing Khan? I tend to think there is merit in Rock's view. Tony Khan's comment on twitter that they have come to "innovate" should send a shiver up our spines. Particularly since their innovation has, so far, cost us a place in the PL and looks set to see us mired in the Championship for ages.  So too should the news that the club has applied for a variation in the planning so that they can build flats on the corners of the Riverside stand and underground parking (under the pitch) make us anxious. Are we back to the future? A club whose real value lies in the development of the ground into flats?  If Khan is committed to the success of the club at the highest level he needs to demonstrate that ambition. Remember what Kit inherited. A club in disarray which had lost its soul on the pitch and was losing it rapidly off it. Magath wasn't just bad - he was poisonous. He took away the good will of the players and many of the fans. Everyone is dismayed at the state we are in. Is the new football structure working? Is Mike Rigg supportive or simply a threat to all of the playing staff's employment? Another post pointed out that we only played with freedom after Rotherham had its points deduction and we were safe. That observation feels true to me which suggests that the atmosphere is still punitive rather than asperiational. Khan is an absentee owner. There is nothing to admire in that particularly when we are struggling. God Bless Fayed for his scarf waving and insane pronouncements and yes for the Michael Jackson statue. Fulham was fun. It was mad. And there were years were played with no fear and could beat anyone. I want those years back. Khan doesn't know they existed.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Mighty Maik on August 20, 2015, 03:27:35 PM
Is it bashing Khan? I tend to think there is merit in Rock's view. Tony Khan's comment on twitter that they have come to "innovate" should send a shiver up our spines. Particularly since their innovation has, so far, cost us a place in the PL and looks set to see us mired in the Championship for ages.  So too should the news that the club has applied for a variation in the planning so that they can build flats on the corners of the Riverside stand and underground parking (under the pitch) make us anxious. Are we back to the future? A club whose real value lies in the development of the ground into flats?  If Khan is committed to the success of the club at the highest level he needs to demonstrate that ambition. Remember what Kit inherited. A club in disarray which had lost its soul on the pitch and was losing it rapidly off it. Magath wasn't just bad - he was poisonous. He took away the good will of the players and many of the fans. Everyone is dismayed at the state we are in. Is the new football structure working? Is Mike Rigg supportive or simply a threat to all of the playing staff's employment? Another post pointed out that we only played with freedom after Rotherham had its points deduction and we were safe. That observation feels true to me which suggests that the atmosphere is still punitive rather than asperiational. Khan is an absentee owner. There is nothing to admire in that particularly when we are struggling. God Bless Fayed for his scarf waving and insane pronouncements and yes for the Michael Jackson statue. Fulham was fun. It was mad. And there were years were played with no fear and could beat anyone. I want those years back. Khan doesn't know they existed.

I agree completely. The most frustrating thing is that Khan never watches us play and seemingly has no interest in football - so why buy us for ~£200m??

Twig

Quote from: WayneKerrins on August 20, 2015, 03:24:01 PM
There are approximately 12 (seemingly genuine) Fulham fans who are defending Khan.
The facts we all know are:
1) he said he would do what it takes to take us back to the Prem
2) he said it wasn't always about balancing the books
3) in his December program notes he said the role of the academy was to stock the first team
4) in May he said there was a lot of work to be done on the squad to get it ready for "the start" of the season ( note not 1st Sept)
5) in the last 3 windows we are comfortably in transfer surplus..he hasnt put another dime in.
6) the jags have the biggest headroom on the NFL salary cap and a woeful record under Khans tenure.
7) he backed the decision to keep Kit despite about as near consensus ever seen from the fan base that he wasn't remotely the best man for the job
8) at time of writing our midfield is much improved if still unbalanced, our Defence and attack are much worse/slightly worse than the one that was close to relegation.
9) MJG has been told in his meetings with the club that 'make no mistake Mr Khan expects a top 6 finish.

Now for my opinion, given 1-9 how can so many posters who support our club not see that criticism of Khan's disastrous stewardship is warranted?
He is a self styled, voluntary, custodian who is presiding over a debacle. The current squad under the current manager haven't a snowballs chance in hell of making the play offs.
For the sake of a fraction of a % of his net worth he could bring in 3 players to make us genuine contenders whilst still complying with FFP. But here we are 3 games in with 1 point and 5 points at least spunked by fielding some of the same hapless defenders as last season and one whom wasn't even good enough to get into that defence is now playing on the wrong flank.
Given this and rooting this in the context of 1-9 how can anyone seriously be surprised that Khan is the subject of sustained criticism from many fans?
I mean seriously what don't you get?

Damned fine argument sir.  I posted early on and again subsequently that Khan must take responsibility and you make that point well.

Twig

Quote from: Mighty Maik on August 20, 2015, 03:27:35 PM

Spot on especially your desire for the Fulham that could play without fear.  A no blame culture that seems to have been replaced with a toxic fear of failure culture.

WayneKerrins

Quote from: Twig on August 20, 2015, 05:04:06 PM
There are approximately 12 (seemingly genuine) Fulham fans who are defending Khan.
3) in his December program notes he said the role of the academy was to stock the first team
4) in May he said there was a lot of work to be done on the squad to get it ready for "the start" of the season ( note not 1st Sept)
5) in the last 3 windows we are comfortably in transfer surplus..he hasnt put another dime in.
6) the jags have the biggest headroom on the NFL salary cap and a woeful record under Khans tenure.
7) he backed the decision to keep Kit despite about as near consensus ever seen from the fan base that he wasn't remotely the best man for the job
8) at time of writing our midfield is much improved if still unbalanced, our Defence and attack are much worse/slightly worse than the one that was close to relegation.
9) MJG has been told in his meetings with the club that 'make no mistake Mr Khan expects a top 6 finish.

Now for my opinion, given 1-9 how can so many posters who support our club not see that criticism of Khan's disastrous stewardship is warranted?
He is a self styled, voluntary, custodian who is presiding over a debacle. The current squad under the current manager haven't a snowballs chance in hell of making the play offs.
For the sake of a fraction of a % of his net worth he could bring in 3 players to make us genuine contenders whilst still complying with FFP. But here we are 3 games in with 1 point and 5 points at least spunked by fielding some of the same hapless defenders as last season and one whom wasn't even good enough to get into that defence is now playing on the wrong flank.
Given this and rooting this in the context of 1-9 how can anyone seriously be surprised that Khan is the subject of sustained criticism from many fans?

Damned fine argument sir.  I posted early on and again subsequently that Khan must take responsibility and you make that point well.
'

One thing I've noticed over 40 odd years of supporting this club. We are very tolerant of chairmen. Especially very rich ones. I suspect it's human deference, relief that they aren't Clay/Bulstrode, and/or fear that they might up sticks.

Ultimately we have a multi billionaire talking big and not doing much else for the thick end of 15 months. We can blame a mediocre cheap manager for all our ills but one of the most established and proven principles says the buck stops at the top.

That's where our focus should be.

Buffalo76

Quote from: andersons11 on August 20, 2015, 01:33:35 AM
Because   the previous   chairman helped start the rot ?  Not investing  in the Club after the Europa  final. Trust me, I amay grateful  for everything MAF  did,  without  him we would  have either gone bust or never seen Premiership  football. It is partially   down  to his lack of funding that we are where we are today. The myth that KHan is unwilling  to spend can be dissolved  with McCormack  and Mitoglu  alone.

I ask you this, who will you name as the replacement party?

I hear the Venkys  and Tans of this world want a new venture .

I can't believe some fans can lay some of the blame for our current state on MAF. The guy spent millions on the club, not just the team, whilst owner and played a big part in bringing success that looked nothing more than a dream before he came to the club. Over a decade in the world's most exciting league, a European final. Some people want to re-think their views on him. We've got a lot to be grateful for thanks to Big Mo.

Reznor

Quote from: Buffalo76 on August 20, 2015, 05:41:23 PM
Because   the previous   chairman helped start the rot ?  Not investing  in the Club after the Europa  final. Trust me, I amay grateful  for everything MAF  did,  without  him we would  have either gone bust or never seen Premiership  football. It is partially   down  to his lack of funding that we are where we are today. The myth that KHan is unwilling  to spend can be dissolved  with McCormack  and Mitoglu  alone.

I can't believe some fans can lay some of the blame for our current state on MAF. The guy spent millions on the club, not just the team, whilst owner and played a big part in bringing success that looked nothing more than a dream before he came to the club. Over a decade in the world's most exciting league, a European final. Some people want to re-think their views on him. We've got a lot to be grateful for thanks to Big Mo.

Personally, I find it incredible that people diss Mo. Just look around you when at the ground and remember what it used to be. Plus the fact he wrote off the debt. Awesome chairman.

valdeingruo

Quote from: Reznor on August 20, 2015, 08:35:08 PM
Quote from: Buffalo76 on August 20, 2015, 05:41:23 PM

Personally, I find it incredible that people diss Mo. Just look around you when at the ground and remember what it used to be. Plus the fact he wrote off the debt. Awesome chairman.

Ive never had a go at MAF, nor have I ever said anything depreciating his value to the club. The man is a Fulham legend in my eyes. I agree with Mighty Maik in his post in its entirety. The MAF Fulham was mad and you never knew what you were going to get, win or loose often times no matter the result, you had fun. That's the plain truth.

MAF is and was as much as Fulham as you, I, Haynes and all the other players and supporters. I am just tired of the relentless bashing and negativity. Maybe its because I have rose tinted glasses having met the man. He genuinely cares about the people under his charge. Everyone in Jacksonville loves the man, he is just as interesting a character as MAF is, if we would just let him. The absentee bit is true, yes we would love to see him more, scarf waving and being behind the team visibly. Maybe there is a way the Trust can bring it up at the next meeting.

It just frustrates me that people are so willing to leave everything at Khans's feet but not accept that it was the previous tenure that started us down the path. If you bought your mates car and it turned out to be a lemon, would you blame yourself? No, you would go after your mate for a refund.

I guess I hate the Khan bashing because I have hope. I want better for Fulham, I want better for us. I want him to come good. Its easy to have a owner like Oyston at Blackpool, because its the supporters united against the management. I hate seeing us slowly sink, heads barely above water, seeing a yacht in the distance, not sure if the yacht will show up or a dingy instead.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

RaySmith

Khan is Fulham owner for good or ill - and it could be a lot worse.

He is a millionaire, and has shown he is prepared to invest big money in the club on players and the new stand, as well as whatever it costs in day to day running of the club.

But, he is a businessman, and his purchase of Fulham is related to furthering his business interests, as existing owner of an American football club. He isn't like MAF - prepared to spend whatever it takes to get into the Prem, because MAF was motivated by the reflected glory of owning a Prem club, and not  business

interests, though getting back to the Prem is Khan's  stated goal - and I believe he is genuine, but just not prepared to throw unlimited money at it - and there is also FFP to consider.

gezkc

Just out of interest, is this one of the two threads dannyboi mentioned that a "Fulham representative" complained about and had to have its title changed?

Craven Mad

I've posted a pro-Khan message in another thread, but I'll echo my sentiments here.

I think Khan has been brilliant so far and believe things can only get better under his control. His hands are somewhat tied by FFP right now, but he'll be free in the Premier League to spend as he wants.

I think the money is there for players but it's not easy persuading the league's top talents (who are attracting Premier League interest) to join a team who were in the bottom half of the table last year.

There have been any number of improvements at the club since he took over, the only downturn has been in performances, which I leave down to the players, the managers and Al Fayed for turning off the money-tap too soon before he left. The investment Khan has made off the pitch has been very noticeable - particularly in the media department - and I look forward to seeing what plan he comes up with next.

Finally, if any staff member were to go, the last one I'd want out of the door is Shahid Khan - how on earth could we replace him with better given the sorry state we're in right now. Look at the owners of Newcastle, Hull, Cardiff etc, and you'll realise we have it pretty bloody sweet with Khan...

Mighty Maik

Gosh Craven, I'm not sure I have noticed any of the many improvements at the club and I am there regularly. I have seen a dispirited staff and fans that are desvastated by both the lack of cohesiveness and desire on and off the pitch. You may be the only person who has seen these improvements and shuld work for Khan as his PR if you don't already do so. As RaySmith wisely observes - he is the owner we've got. There are worse, certainly, but few that have taken a stable PL club with flashes of excellence and relegated it and watched it sink toward double relegation. This isn't gratuitously negative - just a recounting of what has happened. The stewardship of Khan, so far, has shown us little to celebrate. He owns the worst team in the NFL and the system there, through the draft, is set up to make sure no team languishes at the bottom for too long. Perhaps it is the "analytics" team. Perhaps they should remember that Billy Beane actually played baseball - so he knew what the "analytics" meant...and what they didn't. My friends in the US who follow the NFL religiously (but not, obviously, as religiously as any British football fan follows their team!!)find it hard to explain how the Jaguars could conspire to be so bad for so many years in a row. One (I think former) Jaguars employee told me in passing that they relied on the changing personnel at the military base for their business to succeed. They were only based in Jacksonville for 2-3 years so they never became too disgruntled. (true story!) Unfortunately for Khan, Fulham fans are for life. No one is going anywhere - except maybe a dark room.

west kowloon white

Regarding the changed planning permission-how many flats are involved?

win-dup

Quote from: Craven Mad on August 21, 2015, 09:49:30 AM
I've posted a pro-Khan message in another thread, but I'll echo my sentiments here.

I think Khan has been brilliant so far and believe things can only get better under his control. His hands are somewhat tied by FFP right now, but he'll be free in the Premier League to spend as he wants.

I think the money is there for players but it's not easy persuading the league's top talents (who are attracting Premier League interest) to join a team who were in the bottom half of the table last year.

There have been any number of improvements at the club since he took over, the only downturn has been in performances, which I leave down to the players, the managers and Al Fayed for turning off the money-tap too soon before he left. The investment Khan has made off the pitch has been very noticeable - particularly in the media department - and I look forward to seeing what plan he comes up with next.

Finally, if any staff member were to go, the last one I'd want out of the door is Shahid Khan - how on earth could we replace him with better given the sorry state we're in right now. Look at the owners of Newcastle, Hull, Cardiff etc, and you'll realise we have it pretty bloody sweet with Khan...

Are you Shahid Khan in disguise?  You are in a fantasy land if you think that under this disinterested wide boy we will get anywhere near the Premiership.

Craven Mad

Quote from: Mighty Maik on August 21, 2015, 10:27:10 AM
Gosh Craven, I'm not sure I have noticed any of the many improvements at the club and I am there regularly. I have seen a dispirited staff and fans that are desvastated by both the lack of cohesiveness and desire on and off the pitch. You may be the only person who has seen these improvements and shuld work for Khan as his PR if you don't already do so. As RaySmith wisely observes - he is the owner we've got. There are worse, certainly, but few that have taken a stable PL club with flashes of excellence and relegated it and watched it sink toward double relegation. This isn't gratuitously negative - just a recounting of what has happened. The stewardship of Khan, so far, has shown us little to celebrate. He owns the worst team in the NFL and the system there, through the draft, is set up to make sure no team languishes at the bottom for too long. Perhaps it is the "analytics" team. Perhaps they should remember that Billy Beane actually played baseball - so he knew what the "analytics" meant...and what they didn't. My friends in the US who follow the NFL religiously (but not, obviously, as religiously as any British football fan follows their team!!)find it hard to explain how the Jaguars could conspire to be so bad for so many years in a row. One (I think former) Jaguars employee told me in passing that they relied on the changing personnel at the military base for their business to succeed. They were only based in Jacksonville for 2-3 years so they never became too disgruntled. (true story!) Unfortunately for Khan, Fulham fans are for life. No one is going anywhere - except maybe a dark room.

There's no denying that Khan has overseen a disappointing time for us, but I honestly don't think the blame can be placed at his feet.

We weren't a stable team when he bought us, we were the oldest team in the league with most players on near-ending deals and results were on the slide. Jol had purchased some terrible and damaging players at high cost and Al Fayed wasn't investing in areas we needed. Al Fayed did the smart (business) thing, sell a sinking ship for a high price to a buyer who didn't understand the scope of the problem - but that act has cost us ever since. In simple terms, I don't think Khan can be blamed for our relegation or current performances, but I think he should be praised for the investment he's made in us - it's a lot more than Al Fayed did for us in his final years.

Also, I understand why you are comparing the two clubs, but I don't think you can correlate the Jag's failures with ours - different issues.

Finally, no, I'm not part of Khan's PR team, and, yes, I have seen the general mood at CC (I'm there a lot too), but it's my point of view and I wanted to share it, it's fine if you disagree!

The Rock

This is a brilliant and accurate post +1

Logicalman

Craven, good post, but perhaps more people are interested only in what happens on the pitch, and that is the cause of this.
Too many will take what has happened in the last 2 years and believe it all started 2 years ago, forgetting that footie clubs take time to rebuild. That's not saying that SK has done a wonderful job, far from it, and that's not saying either that he is the clubs biggest fan, very far from it, but 2 things we have to remember;

1. He OWNS the club, it's his money that he worked for and made that is keeping us afloat, like it or not he is the man in charge;

2. MaF sold us to Khan.

Take nothing away from MaF, I've said it before, he is perhaps the best chairman we have had for almost the history of the club in garnering success, especially in the modern age, but he did not maintain his investment in the club up til the end. He did, however, write off some 190M (?) in debt for us, which is an investment in itself,but as I said, that doesn't do anything towards what happens on the pitch, which is what most people consider success to be, it just allowed the club to be more attractive to a buyer.

Things will always be seen differently by different people, and that is my perspective, everyone has their own.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

WayneKerrins

Cheers Rock.
Trouble is mate even when you set out facts a poster with over 2000 posts without a hint of irony says, and it's worthy of a new line,
"I think Khan has been brilliant so far".
Badly advised? maybe, unlucky? Perhaps, naive? Probably
But no apparently he's been "brilliant".
Jeesus wept....I mean genuinely wept...

And for the record I was one of the earliest and most vocal critics of the latter period Fayed cash squeeze which started the decline which that buffoon Jol hastened by a season or so. My beef with Khan is post relegation.

Craven Mad

Quote from: WayneKerrins on August 21, 2015, 03:14:56 PM
Cheers Rock.
Trouble is mate even when you set out facts a poster with over 2000 posts without a hint of irony says, and it's worthy of a new line,
"I think Khan has been brilliant so far".
Badly advised? maybe, unlucky? Perhaps, naive? Probably
But no apparently he's been "brilliant".
Jeesus wept....I mean genuinely wept...

And for the record I was one of the earliest and most vocal critics of the latter period Fayed cash squeeze which started the decline which that buffoon Jol hastened by a season or so. My beef with Khan is post relegation.

If you want to disagree with me, feel free, but there's no need to throw shade and be churlish about it; we have a difference of opinion, so what?

I can't disagree with the argument that Khan has owned us during our worst spell in 15-odd years, I just don't point the finger of blame at him for our results.

You want him to spend a % of his wealth on us, but he has spent a lot of money trying to fix the issue; Mitrog and Ross being just two examples of very expensive players he's bought us (before us, how many Championship teams spent £10m+ on a player?).

Khan's also tried changing things by bringing in new managers (possibly too many new managers), but with no success. He won't have picked those managers btw, he'll have been advised and told how much the severance deal would cost, and asked whether he'd sanction it - which he did..

My opinion - and this is where we obviously disagree - is that I don't think he's personally responsible for the predicament we're in, and as far as the job of owner goes (provide funds/improve the club as a whole), I genuinely - without a hint of irony - think he has been brilliant for the reasons I stated above. The one area which hasn't improved at all (and is notably worse) is results, but - as I've said - I think he's tried to remedy that issue by conventional means (money/managerial changes) to no effect, so now is taking some time for consolidation/stability, before embarking on more drastic changes.

I know we all want Khan to drop £50m on transfers, but it's not as simple as that (look at Bristol City) and it isn't guaranteed results (thanks, Mitrog) and can result in a far worse situation if we get an embargo (Blackburn Rovers, for example).

So, yeah, thanks for the criticism, but I have my opinion - which I feel is valid - and I'm happy to acknowledge yours without acting like a child about it...

Trying to constructively move this forward, would your opinion change at all if we sign both Gayle and Dunk before the end of the window? Cos there's still time...

bill taylors apprentice

The introduction of the real ale tent by the river is a vast "improvement" from the muck sold elsewhere in the ground.

I'm sure if I think hard enough I can come up a few more "improvements"..........
Nah! sorry, nothing comes to mind.