News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If McCormack stays, should he be stripped of the vice-captaincy?

Started by Brawn, January 29, 2016, 07:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If McCormack stays, should he be stripped of the vice-captaincy? And if so, who should replace him?

No
Yes - R Stearman
Yes - R Tunnicliffe
Yes - L Christensen
Yes - J O'Hara
Yes - A Lonergan
Yes - D Burn
Yes - AN Other (please specify)

Brawn

The title is pretty self-explanatory. But here's my view:

Yes, he should be stripped of the vice-captaincy if he stays. No way are his actions ambassadorial. If I remember correctly, one of the only good things Martin Jol did was strip Berbatov of the position after a combination of wanting to leave and poor performances on the pitch. Gave it to Scott Parker, didn't he?

We cannot have a man who's asked to leave the club remain as vice-captain if he stays, in my view.

So, here are the potential contenders for the position:

Richard Stearman:

Pros: Given the armband by Scott Parker when the latter was substituted off against Bolton - above McCormack. Commands the defence rather well.
Cons: Not currently holding down a first team place, having only been started once under SJ, and therefore a third captain would probably have to be appointed. Not been in the club long enough, although this may not be important.

Ryan Tunnicliffe:

Pros: Has been earmarked as Parker's understudy, and we don't see him leaving Fulham any time soon, like Burn.
Cons: Long injury out, which would be risky to put him straight back into a vice-captain position. Surpassed in previous games for the position by the likes of Hutchinson, for example, against Huddersfield away last year. Not showing enough professionalism - "sausage boy"-gate springs to mind.

Lasse Vigen Christensen:

Pros: Like McCormack, idolised by the fans, and one of our better players.
Cons: Doesn't smack of "captain" material - is he commanding enough on the pitch?

Jamie O'Hara:

Pros: Parker gave him the armband when the latter went off against Hull.
Cons: This was met with much disdain on social media - O'Hara is not a natural born leader. Has not been in the club for long enough, but this may not be a factor.

Andy Lonergan:

Pros: One of our better players this season.
Cons: Doesn't smack of "captain" material. May be dropped from the team when Bettinelli returns. Goalkeepers do not tend to be captains.

Dan Burn:

Pros: Has captained the side twice against Doncaster and Rotherham in 2014-15, scoring on both occasions, and thus has more experience than any of the other contenders. "Club man", like Tunnicliffe, so won't be going anywhere, as I don't think he particularly wants to join Sheff Utd as he is currently holding down a First Team place - the club website said that he is quickly becoming SJ's first name on the team sheet!
Cons: Lost the vice-captaincy to McCormack in December 2014; snubbed twice by Parker when the latter was substituted off.

fulhamben

I had to go with tunni as he would be my only guaranteed starter
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

filham

The problem is that not many players seem to be automatic first choices for their positions as McCormac is.

If in the next three or four matches it becomes clear that Dan Burn is the first choice canal defender then he is the man to take the armband from Parker.

Woolly Mammoth

Dan Burn would be my first choice. As he is a natural leader, and he has a presence, as well as being a Warrior.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

dannyboi-ffc

Imo Burn is in a pretty good position to become club captain never mind vice. Parker won't be captain next season and Ross is off and quite frankly doesn't deserve it now. I don't agree with transfer requests, it doesn't help the situation. All it does is disrespect the fans especially from a player who is practically the club captain. He wears the armband a lot more on the pitch than Parker does. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave but if he can't then he can't.  He was happy to sign a new contract after 1 year in the summer so as far as I'm concerned get on with it.

Joka seems to really rate Burn. If he is to become a regular then I would tip him for captain. Tunni isn't a bad shout but I'd prefer Burn.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Lighthouse

I think if his mind is in the right place then he should not be stripped of his vice captain role just because he asked to leave. He is nearing the age when he really wont have many more chances of playing in the Prem. He has been, as we all have been, pretty badly let down by the club, Yes he gets paid oodles but he only wants what is best for himself.

However if any of the rumours about him playing up and being awkward then clearly he should have his role taken away. But I so far have yet to be convinced that he has been anything but fair. So what would be the point?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

davew

I have gone for Matt Smith as he has had more time watching the team perform from the bench than any other Fulham player and might know where our main problems are!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 29, 2016, 08:49:19 PM
I think if his mind is in the right place then he should not be stripped of his vice captain role just because he asked to leave. He is nearing the age when he really wont have many more chances of playing in the Prem. He has been, as we all have been, pretty badly let down by the club, Yes he gets paid oodles but he only wants what is best for himself.

However if any of the rumours about him playing up and being awkward then clearly he should have his role taken away. But I so far have yet to be convinced that he has been anything but fair. So what would be the point?
As much as I think Ross has been our star player the last couple of seasons, he is not bigger than the Club! At his stage in life I am sure he wants an opportunity to play in the PL before he is too old. I think he joined us because he thought we offered him that opportunity, misguided and now disillusioned well why not, the same feeling that us fans share! Good luck Ross move on!

copthornemike

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 29, 2016, 08:49:19 PM

0001.jpeg

FPT

Dan Burn's performances of the past month have put him in a position of first name on the team sheet. I think he's naturally very vocal and a strong leader figure and I think it'd be a great thing to put out for the academy - this kid was in the U21s at 19, at 23 he's the vice captain of Fulham FC.

I wouldn't touch Ryan Tunnicliffe because of the whole 'sausage boy' thing. The captain should be the face of the football club, the one who does a lot of work in the community, who sets an example for the whole football club. I would feel uncomfortable giving the honour of Fulham captain to him after the debacle.

FPT

Oh and yes, Ross McCormack shouldn't have that privilege. It'd be awful for me to go to the Derby game at Craven Cottage and see this man lead out a team of 11 'fighting' against relegation when a week or so before he handed in a request to jump.

Horse

Yes, obviously. It would be crazy to let him retain that title now.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on January 29, 2016, 08:56:35 PM
I have gone for Matt Smith as he has had more time watching the team perform from the bench than any other Fulham player and might know where our main problems are!

Well observed and identified, I would imagine Fulham Ben will be in full support of your proposal.

Never forget your Roots.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 29, 2016, 09:28:48 PM

Well observed and identified, I would imagine Fulham Ben will be in full support of your proposal.
I would hope so (lol), where is he when I need him, not on loan to another forum?

BestOfBrede

No one knows if he has put in a transfer request as yet ..
Therfore, why believe the crap in the papers?
If he did then strip him if not - nothing to talk about!

Although I will say he should never have been captain in the first place - great player but no captain imo

Sheepskin Junior

La lala lala lala lala Danny Danny Burn, Danny Burn, Danny Danny Burn
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

fulhamben

Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on January 29, 2016, 09:44:32 PM
La lala lala lala lala Danny Danny Burn, Danny Burn, Danny Danny Burn
interesting, so you voted for an other
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Carborundum

Quote from: BestOfBrede on January 29, 2016, 09:39:26 PM
No one knows if he has put in a transfer request as yet ..
Therfore, why believe the crap in the papers?
If he did then strip him if not - nothing to talk about!

Although I will say he should never have been captain in the first place - great player but no captain imo
Agree with this.  Don't understand why an unattributable rumour should become the unarguable premise for stripping anyone of anything.  If, as some suggested, he had issued an ultimatum before the Hull game, then to sit in the Cottage to watch it seems odd.

Maybe, just maybe, he was under the weather.  At this time of year it happens a lot.

Even if he wasn't, if the billionaire Mr Khan decides to dig in, then he will be here for a while yet.  If so, let's give him an olive branch.  We might need him firing in the weeks ahead.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on January 29, 2016, 09:31:09 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 29, 2016, 09:28:48 PM

I would hope so (lol), where is he when I need him, not on loan to another forum?

He has followed the Example of Ross McCormack and put in a transfer request.

Never forget your Roots.

Brawn

With the Jordan Rhodes deal done I've heard McCormack's gone on strike, but my source isn't completely reputable.