News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A Price For Schwarzer, If it were your call??

Started by os5889, August 15, 2010, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

Put things in perspective.

A Van Der Sar aged 35 with 1 year left on his deal was worth £2 million

A Schwarzer aged 37 (38 in October) with 1 year left on his deal is worth how much?

We have apparently rejected £2 million and I know we can say he is an integral part of our team but so was Edwin?

Realistically what would you bite Arsenals hand off if they offered, especially considering Almunias terrible performance today

FatFreddysCat

£3.5 million would be an outstanding bit of business if we can get Given on loan for the season.

Lighthouse

IF we can find a good replacement who wants to play for us. Shay Given or the like. Then I would be happier to see Swart go. He was (said this often, sorry) showing the odd signs of not being at the peak of his form anymore.

So 3 million and Shay Given coming in from City would be the minimum.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TheDaddy

When a player hands in a transfer request does it really matter how much we get ? Get him out move him on.Saying that 2 mill would do.Does he feel that because he came on a free that he can leave for relatively nothing ?
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

TonyGilroy

Hughes is saying the right things. Schwarzer goes ONLY if the deal's right for all parties.

So for us the crucial thing is the replacement and the Schwarzer fee should be linked to the price we have to pay. We don't need to sell so let's see how badly THE Arsenal want him.

TheDaddy

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 15, 2010, 06:11:30 PM

Hughes is saying the right things. Schwarzer goes ONLY if the deal's right for all parties.

So for us the crucial thing is the replacement and the Schwarzer fee should be linked to the price we have to pay. We don't need to sell so let's see how badly THE Arsenal want him.

With the gaffle Reina made today Liverpool could be looking  :027:
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

alfie

Why go and pay a fortune when yesterday Stockdale was superb, he is young yes, but how long do you wait
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 15, 2010, 05:30:55 PM
£3.5 million would be an outstanding bit of business if we can get Given on loan for the season.
got to go with Mr Cat with this one :54:

SmithyFFC

There's no price you can put on a truly world class goalkeeper, which I believe MS is. Reject any bid, keep him for a year, then if he wants he can walk away, (by which time arsenal may have got some-one else) or he can sign for another year in the summer. SORTED! :54:
FTID

Andy Crysell

Spot on what i've thought all along on this one.

It's not 10 or 15 mill we're talking about here......plus what price the points Schwartz will save us?....and (let's not forget) sod the money-bags teams.

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on August 15, 2010, 11:40:42 PM
There's no price you can put on a truly world class goalkeeper, which I believe MS is. Reject any bid, keep him for a year, then if he wants he can walk away, (by which time arsenal may have got some-one else) or he can sign for another year in the summer. SORTED! :54:

lamby

The price might be relegation. Ask Middlesbrough.

If we COULD get Given for a season, why wouldn't Arsenal get him instead?

Tom

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on August 15, 2010, 08:08:10 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 15, 2010, 05:30:55 PM
got to go with Mr Cat with this one :54:
+2
Fulham for life!

JBH

I would take £3 mil plus Gibbs on load for 1 season

Tom

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 15, 2010, 05:33:47 PM

So 3 million and Shay Given coming in from City would be the minimum.
Yes!
Fulham for life!

cebu

Quote from: lamby on August 16, 2010, 04:02:43 AM
The price might be relegation. Ask Middlesbrough.

If we COULD get Given for a season, why wouldn't Arsenal get him instead?
City might not want to sell to Arsenal as that may be perceived as helping a rival. Letting Given go to Celtic or us wouldn't be seen as problematic.

AlFayedsChequebook

I would take £3m and go after either Given or Marchetti from Siena. I am sure that the people in charge are getting a list together of goalkepping candidates.

Fernhurst

Arsenal have been treating us as the poor relations, waiting out the situation waiting for us to buckle.

Alumnia's performance yesterday may now force their hand to stump up an extra million.......Shay on loan..... sorted ..... ta ta Mark.  :038:

richie17

you can't replace him for £3m so what's the point in that.   If we can get Shay Given then brilliant, but as Tony says, Hughes is exactly right.   Just giving him away because he wants to go is stupid.   £3m gets you a journeyman type of player, and we'd be far better off having Schwarzer leave on a free after playing this season than letting him go without a top class replacement on hand.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: richie17 on August 16, 2010, 12:26:00 PM
you can't replace him for £3m so what's the point in that.   If we can get Shay Given then brilliant, but as Tony says, Hughes is exactly right.   Just giving him away because he wants to go is stupid.   £3m gets you a journeyman type of player, and we'd be far better off having Schwarzer leave on a free after playing this season than letting him go without a top class replacement on hand.

I understand what you are saying but I don't think if Arsenal come in for him he would play at the same level for Fulham next season. I know he is a professional but once a player has had their head turned it can be difficult to motivate them.

We will need a new GK soon, so why not go and get one now if Arsenal want Schwarzer?

TonyGilroy

I'm sure that the principle of replacing Scwarzer is fine but the question, of course, is with whom and at what price. No club will want to let a good keeper go this close to the end of the window.

The sort of guy we'd need ought to be good enough for Arsenal and will need to be much better than Almunia. That Wenger wants Schwarzer shows how few top quality keepers are available.

If Schwarzer is still here on September 1st I'd guess he'll be offered a better contract and is unlikely to waste the rest of his career by going into a sulk but it's the risk of this that would make us even contemplate letting him go.

It does though hinge on the identity of the replacement. I wouldn't rule out David James.