News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

how did Chris Martin get past the stats man?

Started by jarv, September 05, 2016, 02:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I just read he has not scored a club goal in 14 games. Our man Smith does a lot better than that doesnt he???

HatterDon

Maybe because Khan's mindless devotion to stats is as real as the Loch Ness Monster.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BarryP

He pinky swore that he's been saving all his goals for Fulham.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Snibbo

His goal scoring rate per game for Derby is almost exactly the same as Ross's for Fulham - .43 goals per game.

Perhaps the stats man recommended him.

..FOF..

Is there any confirmation that he is the stats man's choice?

HillingdonFFC

Only McCormack has scored more championship goals in the last three seasons than Martin.
Sounds pretty decent stats to me

RaySmith

Snibbo

How about this: Our transfer business before "Stat-gate" was abysmal. This season, under whatever the new system is, it looks like we've done some great business (time will tell of course). Perhaps, just perhaps, we have a sensible system where stats and old-fashioned scouting are both considered in determining who to buy.

It seems that as soon as the word "stats" is used, some people start jumping up and down and stating the bleeding obvious, that stats are not the be-all and end-all. No they're not, but it looks like we're using them wisely.

H4usuallysitting

Mr Kline has confirmed that statistically Chris Martin is a singer

dhowells21

Quote from: Snibbo on September 05, 2016, 07:50:07 AM
Perhaps, just perhaps, we have a sensible system

Please can you elaborate, I don't understand.

Snibbo

Quote from: dhowells21 on September 05, 2016, 09:22:05 AM
Perhaps, just perhaps, we have a sensible system

Please can you elaborate, I don't understand.
Then you are ignoring the evidence before your eyes

MJG

Quote from: ..FOF.. on September 05, 2016, 05:54:51 AM
Is there any confirmation that he is the stats man's choice?
The main thing is that the signings have passed the two box process. So does not matter if the coach or the stats man picked him to go forward, the stats and scouting give him the white flag to go forward for a transfer.

Lighthouse

We actually already play very much to Chris Martins strengths. He is good at playing other players in with his back to goal. Something Woodrow isn't good at. Smith is a danger in the area and has become better outside it. Martin has the annoying habit of knowing where the danger area is and going to it causing problems. He is going through a period of lack of goals and feeling out of form which is why Derby were willing to loan/sell him.

Martin may end up a very popular and important part of the team.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

fulhamben

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 05, 2016, 09:38:19 AM
Fulham are a better team than Scotland, Chris Martin will be playing with better players at Fulham FC, so let's judge him on his performances for Fulham FC.
not so sure on that, snodgrass Ritchie and Burke, the three players that play around martin would easily be on par with our lot, if not better than what we have
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

toshes mate

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 05, 2016, 09:44:22 AM
We actually already play very much to Chris Martins strengths. He is good at playing other players in with his back to goal. Something Woodrow isn't good at. Smith is a danger in the area and has become better outside it. Martin has the annoying habit of knowing where the danger area is and going to it causing problems. He is going through a period of lack of goals and feeling out of form which is why Derby were willing to loan/sell him.

I think you sum up a striker's values very well.  We often judge strikers on goal scoring record alone when it is the ability to open up space for others that is priceless.  Martin is a good mover, and, once established, may be both scorer and provider outstripping McCormack's hefty contribution to Fulham.  And as long as our defences hold firm we will still show the healthy balance needed to win games.

fulhamben

Quote from: toshes mate on September 05, 2016, 12:05:57 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on September 05, 2016, 09:44:22 AM

I think you sum up a striker's values very well.  We often judge strikers on goal scoring record alone when it is the ability to open up space for others that is priceless.  Martin is a good mover, and, once established, may be both scorer and provider outstripping McCormack's hefty contribution to Fulham.  And as long as our defences hold firm we will still show the healthy balance needed to win games.
i hope you are right on that, because he didnt look like a good mover last night. one might even say i doubt he broke into a sweat. reckon he will be in for a little shock when slavisa gets hold of him. should imagine he will be told to take his work rate to unprecedented levels. which if he buys into it, will not only benefit us, but him aswell
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

jarv

Wooly, as a Scot I have to agree with Ben. Anyway, the post was tongue in cheek intended. Right now, we are top of thr group, above England. :008:

Holders

"Stats don't count for anything" - Stuart Gray on the offal.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

General

He said the move to Fulham had been in the pipeline a while.. 5 games into the season.. so would've at least been going on during the summer. I believe Fulham have some pretty good players in the wide positions too so imagine he should get goals. He scored one and got a penalty for scotland and apparently believes he should've got another one, so..

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Statto on September 05, 2016, 10:04:50 AM
Perhaps, just perhaps, we have a sensible system where stats and old-fashioned scouting are both considered in determining who to buy.

Giving a key role in that system to some lad the owner's son met at law school is pretty much fatal to any suggestion the system is "sensible"

Why?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude