watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Trying to look on the brightside

Started by dannyboi-ffc, February 01, 2017, 12:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

I think the versatility of Ayite, Kebano, Piazon and Aluko make a small squad a sufficent squad but only just.

Is it what we needed? No. We're 2 players short, 1 striker and 1 midfielder as cover for Johansen/Cairney. But its not disastrous imo.

I keep reading Slav wont be happy as the squad is smaller. Its smaller partly through his own doing. We've been without Martin on strike, Ayite and Kebano to Africa and literally down to the bare bones for a month and still no sign whatsoever of any of the players we let go this month on the bench, never mind in the side bar Smith.

So in many ways we are 2 better off assuming Petsos and Cyriac make matchday squads. Its not enough but its more than we had. Sure LVC is one I'd defo had kept and then the need for another Johansen wouldnt matter. We could have kept Jozabed as back up to Cairney but again he was shipped out.

Every player we lost never got in Jokas team, that suggests he wanted them out of the way. Likewise no one who was in his plans was sold against his will ie Cairney, Sess etc.

We currently have 8 defenders. 4 brilliant fullbacks, 4 centre halfs one of which is quality and none who are less than average. Why sign a 5th?

Piazon could possibly play a short term role in the midfield trio if we get an injury or need to rotate. Adeniren can be on the bench as an extra body. Parker still has a game or two in him.

Then Aluko and Ayite are also versatile. And we kept Martin and didnt allow Derby to mug off the manager.

I come away from this window thinking WHAT IF but I'd take that all day long over coming away thinking WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! I feel Khan has neither backed the manager nor stabbed him in the back, he's done what Khan always does.......enough. And I feel given the circumstances no matter how much you love Khan & co, it lacks any ambition to get promoted and is a bigger gamble standing still rather than going for it.

Fingers crossed we keep injury free, win tomorrow night and sign Robbie Keane to bolster the squad. Not ideal but experienced, enthusiastic and knows where the net is.

Now lets do the only thing we can do and thats show Joka how much we love him and get behind the boys starting tomorrow night.

COYW!!!!!  049:gif
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Woolly Mammoth

Well we will have to go with what we have, and pray we don't get too many injuries that leave key players missing too many matches. If Jok can continue to wave his magic wand and we can go on a decent unbeaten run if we can ever find consistancy, then who knows. But the odds are stacked against us even more, now that most of if not all of our promotion rivals have bought well and strengthened their squads, wheras we have missed a trick.
Tomorrow night will give us some indication as how we move forward against a determined Burton team on their own patch. Then there's a trip to Birmingham at the weekend, and six away points at stake. If we can win both games then who knows. But I must stop talking cobblers as the chances are that won't happen as Brum and Burton won't be that accommodating. It's anybodies guess, but I think it will take a huge momentous achievement if we managed to finish in the top six, and if we did, it would be despite Khan not because of him.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Sorry mate, I have to disagree. We have basically said that we are willing to let Martin lead our front line charge for the remainder of the season. A guy who doesnt want to be here, and will not under any circumstances be putting his all into every game he plays until he is back home with that shredded wheat hairdo p****.

Other sides around us have made statements of intent and have spent the money to take the gamble. With that they will get fans through the gates, they will get that extra atmosphere and optimism that every club fighting for promotion needs at this time of year, and as a result will be more difficult to beat with that 12th man. What have we done ? We have probably created a another atmosphere of muted bewilderment, that will no doubt turn to boo's when Martin has his next stinker, misses his next sitter, or throws his toys out of his pram, which will happen. We have weakened our squad, with the only bonus being it has paved the way for youngsters to come through unchallenged. I'm not sure we are entitled to go down that road yet. After years of shambles upon shambles, we just haven't earned the right.

So the bottom line is, we sit still, finish 8th and the club celebrate as to what a great improvement it was, how unlucky we were with the missed pens, and now that we must learn, improve and kick on for next season. 
So predictable and so sh1t.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on February 01, 2017, 12:46:48 AM
I think the versatility of Ayite, Kebano, Piazon and Aluko make a small squad a sufficent squad but only just.

Is it what we needed? No. We're 2 players short, 1 striker and 1 midfielder as cover for Johansen/Cairney. But its not disastrous imo.

I keep reading Slav wont be happy as the squad is smaller. Its smaller partly through his own doing. We've been without Martin on strike, Ayite and Kebano to Africa and literally down to the bare bones for a month and still no sign whatsoever of any of the players we let go this month on the bench, never mind in the side bar Smith.

So in many ways we are 2 better off assuming Petsos and Cyriac make matchday squads. Its not enough but its more than we had. Sure LVC is one I'd defo had kept and then the need for another Johansen wouldnt matter. We could have kept Jozabed as back up to Cairney but again he was shipped out.

Every player we lost never got in Jokas team, that suggests he wanted them out of the way. Likewise no one who was in his plans was sold against his will ie Cairney, Sess etc.

We currently have 8 defenders. 4 brilliant fullbacks, 4 centre halfs one of which is quality and none who are less than average. Why sign a 5th?

Piazon could possibly play a short term role in the midfield trio if we get an injury or need to rotate. Adeniren can be on the bench as an extra body. Parker still has a game or two in him.

Then Aluko and Ayite are also versatile. And we kept Martin and didnt allow Derby to mug off the manager.

I come away from this window thinking WHAT IF but I'd take that all day long over coming away thinking WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! I feel Khan has neither backed the manager nor stabbed him in the back, he's done what Khan always does.......enough. And I feel given the circumstances no matter how much you love Khan & co, it lacks any ambition to get promoted and is a bigger gamble standing still rather than going for it.

Fingers crossed we keep injury free, win tomorrow night and sign Robbie Keane to bolster the squad. Not ideal but experienced, enthusiastic and knows where the net is.

Now lets do the only thing we can do and thats show Joka how much we love him and get behind the boys starting tomorrow night.

Danny, similar to my post at about the same time................Psychic or what
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Woolly Mammoth

I cannot see how Jok would want to stay now. He has not been backed by the Chairman as action speaks louder than words. In fact Jok has had the rug pulled from under his feet. But we all knew that was going to happen anyway. There are a profusion of more ambitious clubs who would like to snap our manager up. Let alone our key players. Jok deserves better than Khan and his son and his sons best mate, who should stick to second hand car spare parts and exhaust pipes, and leave the running of a football club to football people.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Good post Danny.

At least we have managed to bring another striker in, plus Petsos, and we've kept our most important players.

Does seem  odd  that such as LVC seem surplus to requirements, or Smith, even  Jozabed, but Slavisa obviously doesn't see any of them in his plans, as Danny says.

You can be successful with a small squad, as long as you don't get too many injuries. We can match most of those in the top six, but need to be more consistent.

Slaphead in Qatar

I am not disappointed with the transfer window. I think cyriac is a good acquisition and will get us goals.

Matt lvc joza were clearly not in jokas plans so no big losses there.

As wooly has said let's just hope we don't have too many injuries.

dannyboi-ffc

For the record chaps the title of the thread is trying to look on the bright side. So believe me by no means am I happy with this window. I just feel it could have been much much worse and Khan could have cashed in on our assets.

I dont like the chairman at all, he doesnt seem interested in us imo. But we are stuck with this squad now and if Martin is professional (debatable) he should be ok. His goal record has been good this season. He knows hes stuck here now so hopefully no more wobbleys. He did well against Hull but again for the record ill just point out hes a #$#$ for the whole new contract thing & clearly all trains have been cancelled out of this station by Joka lol.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

love4ffc

Danny is absolutely correct.  This window could of been a lot worse, and if we are to remain healthy and sane then we should be looking for the bright side. 

Here's to hoping that FFC, Joka and squad can keep us toddling along toward a sixth place or better finish. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

mitimo

From what I have read on this MB and in various statements by SJ, he wanted a defender, a midfielder and one or two strikers.
He got one of each, don't forget, Kalas was supposed to be going back up the road, that loan got extended, there is your defender, then the two guys yesterday, leaves one more striker/forward to get.
On the face of it Mr Khan has supplied most of what is required.
Bear in mind we do not know that these guys are not the ones identified by SJ,; and we do not know that he wanted to spent megabucks to land anyone.  As has been pointed out elsewhere and is patently obvious, Fulham do everything in secret and for as little outlay as possible,  When we spend big, that is when we foul things up.

westcliff white

Quote from: mitimo on February 01, 2017, 06:56:28 AM
From what I have read on this MB and in various statements by SJ, he wanted a defender, a midfielder and one or two strikers.
He got one of each, don't forget, Kalas was supposed to be going back up the road, that loan got extended, there is your defender, then the two guys yesterday, leaves one more striker/forward to get.
Bear in mind we do not know that these guys are not the ones identified by SJ,; and we do not know that he wanted to spent megabucks to land anyone.  As has been pointed out elsewhere and is patently obvious, Fulham do everything in secret and for as little outlay as possible,  When we spend big, that is when we foul things up.
Kalas was a seaon loan Piazon was th eone that got extended. Petsos plays as a holding midfielder but can play right back if required.
Every day is a Fulham day

westcliff white

I agree Danny things could have been a lot worse, we have only 2 strikers but they are different types, which gives us an additional option, something we didn't have before, the defence was OK and we have added Petsos to reinforce the holding role.

Like you I am not overly happy as it could and probably should have been a little better, however all in all we didn't lose any key players so not down in the dumps about it.

None of us know how the club works internally, we think we know but we speculate and make assumptions. There must be a process (I guess) which the follow, and for us fans it is frustrating as we do not know what that is. Is part of the process (supposition here) to leave as late as possible and get a better deal, if so it doesn't work, or is it that clubs don't give us an indication players are available un til the last day again supposition but it could be. It is clearly different to the halcyon days of our surge up the leagues and into the premiership, it seemed to change in MAF's last 18 months or so and has continued onwards. It would help to know who makes the decisions on signings, I trust in and believe in the club, so if they say we identify players with stats and scouts and the they go to SJ then I will believe them, I have no proof not to believe that, again frustrating for me and us all i guess but as I say it is what it is.

People will say the proof is we haven't spent, Joka doesn't have the final say and loads of other things, but other than not spending we have nothing to back any of that up, so it is supposition on our part. The fact Sarah Brookes didn't leave last night till 11ish leads me to believe that we almost had another player as usually we shut up shop and go home early, why it didn't go through is anyone's guess, and they will of course be aired, as is our right on this very forum, but again it is all guesswork.
Yes, we are all frustrated but moaning and slagging off everyone on here won't help or make anyone feel better, in fact quite the opposite. Let's try to look on the brightside and back the team, let's give them every chance to make the playoffs, we are great supporters and the players know that so let's left them and help them towards the top 6 and give them and us every chance we can. Without our support nothing can be achieved, they players and manager need us.
Every day is a Fulham day

FFCFOREVER

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 01, 2017, 01:50:47 AM
I cannot see how Jok would want to stay now. He has not been backed by the Chairman as action speaks louder than words. In fact Jok has had the rug pulled from under his feet. But we all knew that was going to happen anyway. There are a profusion of more ambitious clubs who would like to snap our manager up. Let alone our key players. Jok deserves better than Khan and his son and his sons best mate, who should stick to second hand car spare parts and exhaust pipes, and leave the running of a football club to football people.
Great post.Couldnt agree more.Its all very disappointing.

Carborundum

Brightside.  Well, if one accepts that prospects of promotion this season are slim to none, then there's a fair amount of it.  I'm seeing a brutal Darwinian process being played out where those who won't see us promoted are offloaded, some very swiftly, and those who are good enough are being retained.  We aren't clogging up the squad with mediocrity.  Cyriac will either impress or go back.  One of LVC and Woodrow will probably do well at Burton and be welcomed back.  The player we seem likely to sell for big money in the summer (Cairney) is good, but no more than that and can be replaced.  Championship football is fun.  Cottage marvellous.  Big tie in the 5th round of the cup.  January gone and Spring round the corner. 

WayneKerrins

I think we do have the most reasonable fans in the country but I think there is a definite correlation with chairmen we get.

How many clubs would have a forum the day after a window like this when , let's be honest, we shipped out 8 and loaned in 2.

What forums would be trying to position Kala and Piazon extensions as 'additions'.

What MBs would be comfortable with 2 pure strikers on the books one of whom is a character like Martin who has publicly declared he'd rather be with a direct competitor and who couldn't even play against them should we make the play offs.

What fan base could look to find ways to give credit to a billionaire voluntary self styled custodian whose serial dissembling 'do want takes' 'not about balancing books' 'I empower and hold accountable' 'they need better facilities (riverside)' for not doing an Oyston and selling off the sessingnons and cairneys?

Ultimately lads we get the owner we deserve.

He's not a Clay nor a Bulstrode but someone who is so patently disinterested and apathetic could explore the property route even if that wasn't his original intention.

Our main/only ? Weapon is bad PR given his Jags ambitions.

Yet the inclination for many is to try and cut him slack.

This isn't a pop at any poster on this thread: it's a genuine analysis of how our good nature can be dangerous.

nose

that is all true. but it isn't the point as you know.
now, in the morning after the mega disapoitment..i know with luck and following wind we can still do it.
but for the sake of a couple of players we could have walked into the play offs.

i heard the manager's rant in august and a more calm appraisail from him last week. he is gonna be very upset at this outcome and I fully expect that we will lose one of the very top manager's come summer and i have no faith our owner and board will get an adequate replacement.
on the other hand we have an owner that doesn't want promotion so therefore we do not need a proper manager.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Carborundum on February 01, 2017, 08:05:50 AM
Brightside.  Well, if one accepts that prospects of promotion this season are slim to none, then there's a fair amount of it.  I'm seeing a brutal Darwinian process being played out where those who won't see us promoted are offloaded, some very swiftly, and those who are good enough are being retained.  We aren't clogging up the squad with mediocrity.  Cyriac will either impress or go back.  One of LVC and Woodrow will probably do well at Burton and be welcomed back.  The player we seem likely to sell for big money in the summer (Cairney) is good, but no more than that and can be replaced.  Championship football is fun.  Cottage marvellous.  Big tie in the 5th round of the cup.  January gone and Spring round the corner. 

Thats the spirit. No one is happy but there's no point dwelling on it now. We still have a chance. Its gone unnoticed that Wednesdays draw yesterday means we are back in a similar situation to before the Qpr game. 6 points behind with 2 games in hand. This time its Burton tonight and Blackburn at home later in the season. Both winnable but games in hands are no good if you dont make the most of them. So onwards and upwards, forget the Chairman as he so often clearly forgets us and lets get behind the people who can make a difference now, Joka and the lads.

COYW!!!!!

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

nose

Quote from: mitimo on February 01, 2017, 06:56:28 AM

how nice, the phenomena of somebody who has posted around or a bit less than 100 being supportive of the indefensible continues.

the manager wanted extra players not keeping the ones we had. i hate to be argumentative (I don't really) but mr khan has failed miserably to provide the required players at the required quality and mr khan has sent out the loudest announcement possible he has no ambition for the club and is not willing to even try and get us promoted. the manager will be demoralised and thinking about a move in summer and the best players will certainly be straight on the phone to their agents arranging a swift departure come may. that is what mr khan has done with the limp lack of activity.

no offence to anyone intended.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: nose on February 01, 2017, 08:16:28 AM

that is all true. but it isn't the point as you know.
now, in the morning after the mega disapoitment..i know with luck and following wind we can still do it.
but for the sake of a couple of players we could have walked into the play offs.

i heard the manager's rant in august and a more calm appraisail from him last week. he is gonna be very upset at this outcome and I fully expect that we will lose one of the very top manager's come summer and i have no faith our owner and board will get an adequate replacement.
on the other hand we have an owner that doesn't want promotion so therefore we do not need a proper manager.

I did a little u turn last night and agreed it wasnt good enough. I thought Kamara was a done deal. But this thread isnt about defending the chairman, I really dont like him. But I love Fulham more than anything and dont think its worth going crazy about. We need to keep this a happy camp and give it a good go now.

Imo we could have spent 30 million and the playoffs arent a guarentee. We are 6 points behind 6th and miles behind the rest. But I of course agree this is now harder than it could have been.

Just try to forget it until the playoffs are completely out of tbe question and then you can say I told you so lol. A few years ago I would have been going mental, people probably remember that side of me from when I first joined fof. Maybe after the 4th kid and grey hairs started coming through I've finally started becoming wiser........or more gullable lol......

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

toshes mate

I am sorry but I don't get SJ's role in all this reductive business.  The guy is asked if he is going to use player 'x' and he replies that 'x isn't good enough for this Club'.  The Board respond by selling 'x' without bringing in 'y', because we know they can sell but they have a problem buying and distinct from 'loaning' a situation they fell in love with as a retort to FFP.  And there are people on here who will not attack the Board and Owner for the misbegotten reason that they must be doing the best they can.  Well they are not doing the best they can but SJ is, and so how about telling the truth about how it really is.  I have been a Fulham supporter for too long not to recognise rubbish in the Board Room when it comes along.