more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Well done Jaap Stam

Started by davew, May 13, 2017, 08:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Quote from: ScalleysDad on May 13, 2017, 09:48:19 PM
It is always frustrating when a topic takes a turn for the worse. Yes Reading were robust but we are often prone to looking for the foul rather than looking for the answer. Stam was sharper than JOka on the day and prepared his team to stifle Johansen, Cairney and the flanks. What's wrong about just accepting Stam did a better job than JOka. We should be more concerned about the latters inability to get us at 100% for such a game and why the shooting practice sessions have not worked out very well. It is, as people have said, only half time but plenty to do in the next couple of days.

Well said.

Tactically, Stam got it spot on.

And to be fair, there were times, particularly in the first half, where they did look dangerous especially down the left.

But it was a breathless game, and there hasn't been an atmosphere like that in the Cottage for a few seasons. The place was rocking!

davew

And let's not forget a word of thanks (or many.....) to the thread author for his positive contribution in making all these comments possible (lol)!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Burt on May 13, 2017, 10:06:06 PM
It is always frustrating when a topic takes a turn for the worse. Yes Reading were robust but we are often prone to looking for the foul rather than looking for the answer. Stam was sharper than JOka on the day and prepared his team to stifle Johansen, Cairney and the flanks. What's wrong about just accepting Stam did a better job than JOka. We should be more concerned about the latters inability to get us at 100% for such a game and why the shooting practice sessions have not worked out very well. It is, as people have said, only half time but plenty to do in the next couple of days.

Well said.

Tactically, Stam got it spot on.

And to be fair, there were times, particularly in the first half, where they did look dangerous especially down the left.

But it was a breathless game, and there hasn't been an atmosphere like that in the Cottage for a few seasons. The place was rocking!

and rolling.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: davew on May 13, 2017, 09:56:00 PM
Which in a few words agrees with my thread topic and opinion!! Why we have to diversify and point fingers, well I suppose it is because it is a forum!!

Indeed it is. A mixed bag as usual.

Peabody

Sorry Dave but if you think the way Reading played was superb, then I have to say that it was not the type of football I would not pay to watch and if the go up, then they are in for a great shock and will very quickly come back down. There was foul after foul which the ref was to soft on. Then there was the play acting as well as the blatant time wasting.True they did stop us playing which they did successfully. But if that's the type of football that you like, well I'll go and get my coat.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: 1wednesday on May 13, 2017, 09:45:54 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 13, 2017, 09:36:28 PM
Reading did do a job on us, now Fulham have to make sure we do a job on them, and we are one of a small handful of teams that can do that on Tuesday at their souless bowl, they are there for the taking, but we have to earn it. We can play so much better, but can they, I am not sure they can, the pressure is on them now, not us, I cannot see them handling it, or Fulham if we increase our tempo and urgency, it wouldn't surprise me if they got another player sent off in the second leg, as when we are firing in all cylinders, there are few teams in this Division that can handle us.
Have to agree with most of that, think they will play the same way though and hope to nick it, they won't take you on head to head although I don't think it was the anti football some on here are raging about.they  stopped you creating much, you normally create 20 or 30 plus shots in a game so they will be very pleased with the outcome today expect more of the same.

Although I think you will do better at their place, I think it will be difficult to contain you over two legs.

I just hope we have learnt some lessons today, as this tie is too close for comfort, but like all these matches it's on the day. Being away on Tuesday may take the pressure off us as Fulham looked at times early on hesitant and were closed down early when in possession, I don't understand what Betts was trying to do, if he was checking and looking for Martin, then he didn't do a good job, I cannot see how Martin can start Tuesday, unless Jok has a cunning plan, but Stam out foxed Jok this evening, and because of that, we were outmanoeuvred at times. But it's a different match in the second leg, we can raise it two more gears, but can they.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

PokerMatt

Quote from: Peabody on May 13, 2017, 10:22:00 PM
Sorry Dave but if you think the way Reading played was superb, then I have to say that it was not the type of football I would not pay to watch and if the go up, then they are in for a great shock and will very quickly come back down. There was foul after foul which the ref was to soft on. Then there was the play acting as well as the blatant time wasting.True they did stop us playing which they did successfully. But if that's the type of football that you like, well I'll go and get my coat.
I'm with peabody here.

I'm just grateful we don't have to watch our team timewaste from 10 minutes in at 0-0. To get booked in the first half, for time wasting when taking a corner... I don't think I've ever seen that before.

They were snide and dirty, but then we all know that's how to stop us.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

JoelH5

Anyway. I don't come on here to read about bloody Jaap Spam. Let's give this thread a rest now ;)
I was there, standing in the Putney end

BestOfBrede

0001.jpeg
Sorry Dave, but they came to disrupt our game and nothing else.
If they do somehow get promotion, the prem will have a field day!
Terrible tactics at this stage of the season.
Stam did what he had to do, I suppose, as he knows damn well his team are not a touch on us. Personally, I can't stand that game p,an.

davew

I didn't suggest anything about Reading playing superb, admiring their football  or even liking it....did I???  I hated watching the match (from an armchair..with another lifelong supporter in attendance in my front room), the whole point of my thread was to say that their Manager did a job in stopping us play our Barca type football! We are all a little disappointed, especially me, which is why I am now on the Gordon's bottle (lol), but they are by no means the dirtiest team we have played this season! I will watch the game again tomorrow and edit any comments I have made which I feel require amendment!

davew

Brede, exactly they came to disrupt us, would we have expected anything else?? They do have some quality players but not enough to outplay us, let's take today on the chin and SJ come out with a solution that the same thing doesn't happen on Tuesday, otherwise we are out!!!

1wednesday

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 13, 2017, 10:22:25 PM
Quote from: 1wednesday on May 13, 2017, 09:45:54 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 13, 2017, 09:36:28 PM
Reading did do a job on us, now Fulham have to make sure we do a job on them, and we are one of a small handful of teams that can do that on Tuesday at their souless bowl, they are there for the taking, but we have to earn it. We can play so much better, but can they, I am not sure they can, the pressure is on them now, not us, I cannot see them handling it, or Fulham if we increase our tempo and urgency, it wouldn't surprise me if they got another player sent off in the second leg, as when we are firing in all cylinders, there are few teams in this Division that can handle us.
Have to agree with most of that, think they will play the same way though and hope to nick it, they won't take you on head to head although I don't think it was the anti football some on here are raging about.they  stopped you creating much, you normally create 20 or 30 plus shots in a game so they will be very pleased with the outcome today expect more of the same.

Although I think you will do better at their place, I think it will be difficult to contain you over two legs.

I just hope we have learnt some lessons today, as this tie is too close for comfort, but like all these matches it's on the day. Being away on Tuesday may take the pressure off us as Fulham looked at times early on hesitant and were closed down early when in possession, I don't understand what Betts was trying to do, if he was checking and looking for Martin, then he didn't do a good job, I cannot see how Martin can start Tuesday, unless Jok has a cunning plan, but Stam out foxed Jok this evening, and because of that, we were outmanoeuvred at times. But it's a different match in the second leg, we can raise it two more gears, but can they.
Thought you lacked belief which was surprising, kept losing your shape and that played right into their hands, seemed a little shell shocked by their high pressing game early on, for me you need to go there and impose your game on them, if you don't I think your going struggle.
Out of all the teams in the playoffs they are the weakest team for me but stam has got them playing a way that stops other teams normally by possession football which is mostly passing along their back line to draw teams out and once n front the spoiling starts, believe it or not they did that to us at Hillsboro this season they were fortunate that night but you have to respect what they have achieved finishing third, and truth is I would rather face them than you.

Peabody

I'd rather us go out sticking to our style of football, rather than resorting to a game plan that you complemented Mr Stam on today

davew

Quote from: Peabody on May 13, 2017, 10:41:49 PM
I'd rather us go out sticking to our style of football, rather than resorting to a game plan that you complemented Mr Stam on today
Me too, but they walked away with 1 all draw, when we all think it should have been a resounding win for us!! I have no regret in posting the thread, as negative as I can or used to be, he did a job well today so I will credit it him for that, whether I like it or not, I think you know the answer to that!!

davew

1Wednesday I think we need you on the bench on Tuesday, but maybe not the forum if we lose (lol)!

1wednesday

Quote from: davew on May 13, 2017, 10:50:48 PM
1Wednesday I think we need you on the bench on Tuesday, but maybe not the forum if we lose (lol)!
Dave you are right stam did well with tactics today, but still all to play for I still fancy you to get through, no malice intended but I hope it isn't, you are the better team and are the bigger threat.

I certainly won't be gloating, who knows we might not make it either.

I do think us v you would make for better final but not sure my nerves could take that, would be much more confident v reading.

davew

Quote from: 1wednesday on May 13, 2017, 11:02:45 PM
Quote from: davew on May 13, 2017, 10:50:48 PM
Dave you are right stam did well with tactics today, but still all to play for I still fancy you to get through, no malice intended but I hope it isn't, you are the better team and are the bigger threat.

I certainly won't be gloating, who knows we might not make it either.

I do think us v you would make for better final but not sure my nerves could take that, would be much more confident v reading.
Thanks, us and Sheff Weds the 2 best teams to make the play offs, different styles, different squads etc., etc., I hope it comes down to that, if FFC don't get through, you would be the team I would hope to see get promoted!!! 

1wednesday

Thanks Dave
Likewise if we lose to Huddersfield I hope you go up.

This is for very selfish reasons as you out of the way would mean a serious threat has gone next season.

However I like the way you play and think football should be played this way and would be a joy to watch in prem.

Twig

Quote from: 1wednesday on May 13, 2017, 08:59:34 PM

While I understand there game plan was to close us down to describe there tactics which included kicking us off the pitch and wasting time as superb is a bit much.

If we had a referee with a backbone they would have has 2 in the book within 10 minutes and they wouldn't have pressurised us as much

Hardly kicked you of the park mate!

The amatuer dramatics from you lot should get them all rada passes no problem, especially fredericks and hutton. They should be up for oscars.

However agree ref was very lenient, both ways!. How did Hutton not get booked for the blatant pull.
[/quote]

Who is Hutton?

1wednesday

Quote from: Twig on May 14, 2017, 12:08:09 AM
Quote from: 1wednesday on May 13, 2017, 08:59:34 PM

While I understand there game plan was to close us down to describe there tactics which included kicking us off the pitch and wasting time as superb is a bit much.

If we had a referee with a backbone they would have has 2 in the book within 10 minutes and they wouldn't have pressurised us as much

Hardly kicked you of the park mate!

The amatuer dramatics from you lot should get them all rada passes no problem, especially fredericks and malone. They should be up for oscars.

However agree ref was very lenient, both ways!. How did Hutton not get booked for the blatant pull.

Who is Hutton?

Corrected it for you, malone, god knows where Hutton came from!
[/quote]