watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Well done Jaap Stam

Started by davew, May 13, 2017, 08:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

They had a high press going.  They committed a lot of men forward.  I thought we adjusted in the second half with more horizontal spread from the keeper, then picked our way up the pitch, just not with the usual speed we're accustomed to of late.  We had some excellent counterattack moments that, frankly, we just wasted.  And I put that down to the lack of a true finisher.  We kept trying to  center it from the right corner under heavy pressure.  Our game is speedy feet, sweet passing, constant movement, and then fierce attempts to retrieve possession ASAP when lost.  Reading has speedy players, too.  And they throw themselves into our men and bully it up a bit.  But we're better dribblers, better possessors, better passers.  We broke up I don't know how many possessions--just went in and took the ball away from their dribblers.   They complained to the ref, but didn't get the calls.  I was most proud of those play break ups.  They showed real determination, real grit to get possession back.  Like pick pockets, our mids and fullbacks kept stealing possession back over and over again.   I truly thought we owned the second half.  We were asserting our stamp of authority/control over Reading in the second half.  They seemed to be content to not give up the second goal and wait for a moment to counter when we over committed up.   I thought our CBs played very well.  If I have a complaint, it's that we rarely tried to dribble right up the gut, right up the middle through open space, and smack it hard at the keeper.  You're bound to pick up a ricochet goal, as it caroms off somebody's legs, and everyone scrambles.  No, we kept trying to center from the corners, or sideways pass 10 yards from the 18 box, but rarely testing with a run at the goal.  No, not entirely true.  Ayite had it in him.  He took his chances.  But god bless him he's not a true finisher. 

So now we took their measure.  Their plan's exposed.   Slava will adjust for next game with longer passes past the wave of high pressers, and we'll footrace to their box.  We'll scare them off the high press, and if we get an early goal, we'll dictate terms after that.  I like our chances.  A key starter is out for next game with a red. 

Arthur

Quote from: Ordar on May 13, 2017, 08:50:44 PM
From our side, I think there was a bit of an attitude issue. Seemed like they thought they just had to turn up to win.

I disagree.

We were not at our best, but Forever Fulham's contribution, above - particularly the comment about our determination to break up Reading's opportunity to pass the ball around in the manner that they have done throughout the season (they were, after all, second only to us in the league's possession statistic) - demonstrates why this wasn't the case.

PokerMatt

I have a gripe with Sky's summary of Jaap Stam's interview here.

From my recollection Reading had one (half) chance and took it. What exactly is Stam rueing?
Follow me: @mattdjourno

nose

some very interesting and strange posts.

we need to play ou own game and again.
i do think some of our players were caught up in the occason and underperformed. I also think the referee was hopeless and contributed to our poor play in that he failed to stop the reading endless disruptive tactics. timewasting per se is not illegal but what they did was. but more importantly he allowed foul afr=ter foul on the or around the half way line without using the card. he needed to book a couple of their payers to stop and that and then we would have played with more freedom. their goal was an atwell joke and do hope never to see him again. if we get lee probate in the return then prepare for failure, he will not allow us to win.

in my opinion which most of you know is never humble, I would replace ayite and martin for sess and kebano on tuesday and if we start with that team, you have my personal guarantee of success (save for the choice of ref, oh and reading roling over of course).  :-)))

BedsFFC

I've been going to football for a long time. I go with my son. There's no question I have seen things live that when you see replays completely contradict what you first thought.
I dont tend to wear Fulham goggles as it can actually ruin the game for you, if that makes sense.

If I see one of our players in the box go down, I always hope its a penalty (well, I used to).

I know it was a big match and I know crowds can often intimidate refs but it gets to the stage where every time a fulham player goes down, people act as if its the worst tackle they've ever seen and very decision against us is met with a chorus of boos. Its Reading we are talking about here, not 1960's Uruguay.

I don't know if our Wednesday friend is still looking in but I thought Reading were a very poor man's Sheffield Wednesday. At least the version that came to the Cottage earlier in the season.

I'm sure any neutrals would not be thinking that Reading were a bunch of thugs. I just checked a broadsheet match report

"The defenders McShane and Chris Gunter were the pantomime villains, drawing simple fouls, much to the anger of the home support".

I was left thinking we are still very much in the game. We need to be patient. If we get the first goal, they should open up and if we are ahead, we should....waste as much time as possible and slow the game down with little niggly fouls that are within the law".

I'm sure the Reading fans will hate that. If we hold on, I will be as happy as Larry

filham

No doubt, the Reading manager got his tactics spot on and will be pleased with the result as will all of the Reading fans.
The big question now though is where does he go rom there, if it is more of the same we will be ready, waiting  and more prepared for it this time.