watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Grenfell Tower

Started by ToodlesMcToot, June 14, 2017, 05:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

I just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers tonight are with those people and families who call Grenfell Tower their home. Difficult to imagine losing so much in the night especially for the children.

I hope that all were able to escape healthy.

Bless those fighting this fire. I hope they remain safe as well.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

BedsFFC

This is my part of West London.

Had an old friend from school who lived there in early 80's. Very sad

Mince n Tatties

Horrendous just watching on News now.
Fire Brigade were there in 5 minutes, how a whole building can be alight like that from a flat fire,as though the place was made of cardboard...
RIP to those who have perished.

Andy S

I have always hated tower blocks. If this makes them demolish all of them I would be delighted for all the people who live in one. It only takes one cigarette down the rubbish shoot at 9.00 and by 1.00 when people are asleep it's all over. Very sad indeed.

bog

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 14, 2017, 05:15:24 AM
I just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers tonight are with those people and families who call Grenfell Tower their home. Difficult to imagine losing so much in the night especially for the children.

I hope that all were able to escape healthy.

Bless those fighting this fire. I hope they remain safe as well.

My sentiments entirely. 

BedsFFC

I used to live in one not far away.

From one obvious safety issue that should have meant they were never built that high is that even now, 50 years after they were built, the fire service hoses can't get water that high

Holders

Goodness! I've just seen the pictures, how awful.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

Most Tower Blocks should be safe and fire shouldn't spread so quickly. Those flats have had work done inside and out recently so that may be why the fire spread.

Thoughts are with everybody caught up in this. Although I find the tv media coverage almost too gleeful in the pictures and pain. Tell us the news but do we need this constant commentary?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

Terrible disaster, all our thoughts and sympathy must go to those involved.
Later questions must be asked about the design of these buildings that have no fire escape and are made from materials that burn so readily.
We can get men safely to the moon but cannot build safe homes for them on earth.

Slaphead in Qatar

Apparently there was loads of foam in the walls for some reason - that's why fire spread.

Very sad.

cmg

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/june/14/grenfell-tower-donations

Grenfell Tower Donations
Wednesday 14 June 2017 10:45
Everyone at Fulham was troubled by the news of the fire at Grenfell Tower this morning in West London.

In an attempt to help those affected, Craven Cottage will be open to accept donations from supporters, staff and local residents to provide the victims with much needed items.

If you can spare any clothing, toiletries, children's toys, or baby items, please bring them down to Craven Cottage Main Reception, located midway along the Johnny Haynes Stand on Stevenage Road, which will be open until 7pm.

Alternatively, if you live closer to Motspur Park, we will be accepting items at our Training Ground Reception.

These items will then be taken to the drop off point tonight at Clements Church, 95 Sirdar Road.

Please keep an eye on social media in case the request for item donations changes throughout the day.

Andy S

A good old fashioned sprinkler system could have saved those poor people's lives

bobbo

Quote from: Andy S on June 14, 2017, 11:40:42 AM
A good old fashioned sprinkler system could have saved those poor people's lives
i'm a retired plumber and that was my immediate thought.
My heart goes out to all affected.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

nose

this year is unrelenting bad news, one disaster after another.
this one is particularly harrowing because fire in a tower block must be terrifying.
the stories we heard this morning in the news just piled misery on misery.

In my experience these types of tragedies are usually down to a series of avoidable errors rather than one specific issue but the fact there had been so much renovation is certainly suspicious.

Along with everyone else my heart goes out to those involved.

cookieg

For it to have spread so quickly must indicate a serious issue with the cladding  or other supposedly fire resistant materials. Fire doors should have at least contained the fire for an hour or so to allow the fire brigade to get in and get the people out.

Having lived in a council house many years ago the ceilings were asbestos so at least it would stop a fire from going up in a house but not sure if they are allowed to use it these days but either at there is no way the fire should have spread so quickly or so far in such a short space of time.

My prays are with all affected by this terrible and probably avoidable tragedy.

westcliff white

It is such a devastating news story.

I will say right now anyone posting what is considered to be as tasteless remark will be issued with a warning, so please show respect unlike some comments on the Manchester and London threads.

Thanks guys.

Great effort by the club as well.
Every day is a Fulham day

Woolly Mammoth

Yes, it must have been the worst nightmare for all the victims and survivors.
Basicaly, the building went up like a box of matches, but why, maybe far too many inflammable materials. Hence the well known fire triangle. Oxygen, Fuel and Heat.
In this day and age, that should not have happened the way it did in a high rise Tower Block.
The shock of this major incident will soon turn to anger I would imagine, as there appears to have been plenty of warnings that a tragedy was just waiting to happen.
Let's hope it's the last of any more incidents of this magnitude.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fulham Tup North

:016:  Very Sad.  But what a fantastic response by the Local Community, the best of people during the worst of times.
And a massive  :047:  to the Emergency Services.  Once again, true hero's and brave Men & Women.
Makes you feel very humble.
God bless everyone effected with this disaster.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Logicalman

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on June 14, 2017, 06:02:39 PM
:016:  Very Sad.  But what a fantastic response by the Local Community, the best of people during the worst of times.
And a massive  :047:  to the Emergency Services.  Once again, true hero's and brave Men & Women.
Makes you feel very humble.
God bless everyone effected with this disaster.

Perfectly put, humble indeed. There but for the grace of God go so many of us. Utter devastation for so many, though also a chance to see humanity in the community in action. 
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

JDH101

Since I currently live in the states its hard for me to donate anything, but if anyone hears or sees a link where we can make a financial donatation please post it. I've been checking facebook and twitter but have yet to see anything.

As a father to two little kids, it breaks my heart to hear people having to throw their babies out of the window. Absolutely horrific.