watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Expectations of Fonte

Started by Riversider, September 01, 2017, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

There can't be any other side in the division that has much depth and as much quality in wide positions as Fulham this season,
With that in mind what would you say is a fair expectation, in terms of league goals, for Rui Fonte this season ?
If he stays fit then surely 20 must be a realistic target.

Twig

If less than 20 I'd say not a great success

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on September 02, 2017, 12:19:00 AM
Best striker we've had since Saha IMO is Zamora 2009/10 season and he only got 19 goals, most of them in cup games. If Fonte links up play and gets assists I'd say you can still call 15 a good season and as little as 10 adequate. I'm expecting him to get 20+ but IMO goals is a very blunt metric and can be misleading
10 isn't adequate for our lone striker, providing he plays the majority of games. 15 minimum imo
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

hovewhite

15 plus assists,also hope someone else takes the corners.

RaySmith

Bu if we score , or at least  get a scoring opportunity, from many of his corners, as compared with most of our pre-Fonte corners......

I think it's the extra goals the  TEAM score with his help, that will be  important, rather than just the ones he scores himself, though I expect him to get a quite  few.

Woolly Mammoth

He seems to have that X Factor that we really need. There is something about him, of course I could be wrong, but he I feel he has the capability of reaching 20 goals and beyond.
He could be a fans favourite if everything fits into place, and of course with the wingers we have, I can see one or two of them running amok and providing the service for him.
Coupled with our quality midfield, maybe other teams will be too busy defending against us for them to trouble our defence too often, here's hoping.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

PokerMatt

Quote from: Statto on September 02, 2017, 12:19:00 AM
Best striker we've had since Saha IMO is Zamora 2009/10 season and he only got 19 goals, most of them in cup games. If Fonte links up play and gets assists I'd say you can still call 15 a good season and as little as 10 adequate. I'm expecting him to get 20+ but IMO goals is a very blunt metric and can be misleading
Yes, this.

A poaching striker who does nothing else wouldn't fit into our play and could actually be a detriment, even if he scored a bundle.

From what we've seen of fonte so far he fits in and can also find the onion bag. I think he could be a big success.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

MJG

Be careful some of you we be judging a player just on one stat  :-)
Just the views of a long term fan

@jolslover

He was very good at Ipswich. All I know. As for how many goals he gets I think it depends largely on how the rest of the team plays.
STH H3

AlexW132

In our system he'll probably get around 15, given that we score so many from the wingers and midfield.

fcfulham55

Can't imagine he'll get many over 10.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Keynsham

With our current system it's not about a centre forward merely scoring goals, it's about the assists that the forward provides for others.  An interested Martin would have been fabulous at this, lets hope that our new fella will continue to be interested, it's all that he needs to do to be better than 'Chrissy'

So I agree with Statto, really.  I'm sure that he or she will be over the moon with that.

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on September 02, 2017, 01:40:10 AM
It's not many I know but if he gets 20 goals Jordan Rhodes style, goal hanging and contributing nothing else, is that better than becoming the linch pin of every attack and getting 10 goals plus 24 assists ?
IMO, Statto asks the crucial question and one which comes over loud and clear in any discussion about the merits of Jokanovic's team style.  Fonte's attitude, demeanour, and avowed intent on being at Fulham says he is a good signing for SJ's style set..  He appears to want to be the key that unlocks the door whether he is doing the scoring or giving people around him chances they cannot miss.  Aluko and Malone were good examples of how SJ's system can create chances for anybody in the right place at the right time to score goals via diversity in attack, and I hope we are not going to turn the 'successful' team of last term into damaged goods by selling them on.  Time will tell if our other transfers in are up to the quality necessary to show we have upgraded, rather than downgraded or simply stood still.  I hope it is the former, but it is going to be while before I am convinced the right decisions have been made.  I have this odd feeling that Mollo may prove to be an unlikely hero this season.     

RaySmith

I feel that Ojo will score a few for us - he tested the keeper  a couple of times at Ipswich, often going down the middle. We know Kebano and Ayite can score, and  have a few players who can  add to the goals tally.

So, hopefully, Fonte will add further to this. Imagine if we take a lot more of the chances we create, and that our attacking play warrants.

Marcel_Gecov

15+ would be a good return from him. I was watching youtube clips of him just now and the way he plays has a passing resemblance to Olivier Giroud. If he's anywhere near as useful for us then 9m is an absolute steal.

Riversider

I'm surprised some are suggesting a total of 10, you don't spend 9 million in The Championship on a striker for a total of 10 goals.
15 should be a minimum as far as I'm concerned.

MJG

Quote from: Riversider on September 04, 2017, 10:58:42 AM
I'm surprised some are suggesting a total of 10, you don't spend 9 million in The Championship on a striker for a total of 10 goals.
So 14 and promotion would be a failure for him?
Just the views of a long term fan

Keynsham

I'm not fussed what he actually scores himself, it's obvious that goals come from all over the park with out style.

I'd be more interested in what he provides, and adds to the side over all. I think.

Riversider

Quote from: MJG on September 04, 2017, 11:19:14 AM
Quote from: Riversider on September 04, 2017, 10:58:42 AM
So 14 and promotion would be a failure for him?

It would be success for the Club

filham

Well we really have not yet seen enough of Fonteto make a sensible judgement.
However we can see that he is not in the conventional mould of a target man like Zamora, he is I think going to be different than what we are used to and his development is going to be interesting.
There is of course pressure on him, we need at least 15 goals from him by the end of the season.