Main Menu

Expectations of Fonte

Started by Riversider, September 01, 2017, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: Riversider on September 04, 2017, 12:14:39 PM
Quote from: MJG on September 04, 2017, 11:19:14 AM
Quote from: Riversider on September 04, 2017, 10:58:42 AM
I'm surprised some are suggesting a total of 10, you don't spend 9 million in The Championship on a striker for a total of 10 goals.
15 should be a minimum as far as I'm concerned.
So 14 and promotion would be a failure for him?

It would be success for the Club
And in the end thats what matters. Even if he only ends up scoring 4 would not make him a failure if his all round play was enough to help us do this.

Our best ever finish to a season saw joint top scorers have 7 and our number nine have 2.
Just the views of a long term fan

rweller86

I can't see him getting 20+ goals, as much as I'd like him to. He's good at bringing others into play so I will be judging him on his assists too. Also, in the build up play, he might lay off a winger who gets the ball across for another to score. He will not be credited with an assist but hopefully, we'll see some good key pass stats?
@rweller

Burt

Too early to tell but his contribution at Ipswich, if continued consistently, would show that he fits in to the overall team ethos, has good positional instinct, and know where the goal is.

I doubt if he's a 20-goals-a-season type as that is not how we are set up to play. As others have suggested, goals and assists will perhaps be a more interesting measurement.

Fingers crossed that he turns out to be a great signing for us.

The Enclosurite

Some of his headed goals make me see a little touch of Brian McBride aerial wise.  We've certainly been missing that!
¡COYW!

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on September 04, 2017, 03:44:05 PM
Quote from: Riversider on September 04, 2017, 10:58:42 AM
you don't spend 9 million in The Championship on a striker for a total of 10 goals

McCormack and Rhodes got less than that between them last year so patently you do. If you're lucky you get Scott Hogan, what was it £12m, and 15 goals. We'd agreed £9m for Martin and he got 11. At £8m for Fonte I'd say 10 goals is about right these days

...although to be clear I don't condone judging any player on goals alone, for the reasons given above

To correct you, Hogan was 12m from Brentford and has scored 1 in 17 for Villa since the transfer... not a great example

AlexW132

Quote from: Statto on September 04, 2017, 03:47:41 PM
Quote from: The Enclosurite on September 04, 2017, 02:01:54 PM
Some of his headed goals make me see a little touch of Brian McBride aerial wise.  We've certainly been missing that!

A striker so popular we named a bar after him, and yet how many times did he get 15 goals in a season?!?
Yes but that was because we were in the premiership, we weren't expected to bang them in.

Jims Dentist

So much depends on whether he stays fit.
Given his small frame and that he will be playing down the middle, he will come in for some rough treatment.
He is the only recognised central striker left in the squad so let's keep our fingers crossed.

epsomraver

Quote from: MJG on September 02, 2017, 08:42:43 AM
Be careful some of you we be judging a player just on one stat  :-)
0001.jpeg