watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Great coach but useless tactician

Started by dannyboi-ffc, September 16, 2017, 05:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PokerMatt

Have I woken up in the future? Are we now all against the manager who has given us an identity back and coached us to the playoffs when we were hopeless for at least three seasons previously?

Appalling result, sure, and not a great start. But we're far from out of touch and with some of our key players still to return from injury.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Woolly Mammoth

Well observed as if a team mirrors their manager standing on the touchline with hands in pockets and quiet as a mouse without any reaction or passion.
Then Jok makes Kit Symons look like an extrovert.
Because there is no excuse for losing the way we lost.
What is more worrying is that Jok looked clueless with no presence, which was the complete opposite to the passionate and big hearted Nigel Clough who had far less resources to use and play with. Yet his team turned Fulham over.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

fashion140

I've always wondered why people automatically think that just because a manger is not shouting he is rubbish. Like managers that shout loud instructions all the time are the best ones??
Fulham till I die

PokerMatt

Why does everyone suddenly care again about the manager doing a Neil Warnock on the sidelines?

Genuinely interested as to what difference an angry coach is likely to make?

ScalleysDad

Quote from: PokerMatt on September 16, 2017, 06:29:47 PM
Have I woken up in the future? Are we now all against the manager who has given us an identity back and coached us to the playoffs when we were hopeless for at least three seasons previously?

Appalling result, sure, and not a great start. But we're far from out of touch and with some of our key players still to return from injury.

I fear Joks coaching abilities had little to do with key players suddenly clicking and a couple of teams folding. Those key players have not maintained that consistency or improved enough to take us onwards and upwards which indicates the coaching methodology is flawed or the players are'nt buying in.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: fashion140 on September 16, 2017, 06:36:26 PM
I've always wondered why people automatically think that just because a manger is not shouting he is rubbish. Like managers that shout loud instructions all the time are the best ones??

Most of the time Slav has a presence on the touchline. You can feel it even though he says very little. Today it was hands in pockets with no care in the world which isn't like him
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

PokerMatt

Quote from: ScalleysDad on September 16, 2017, 06:39:55 PM

I fear Joks coaching abilities had little to do with key players suddenly clicking and a couple of teams folding. Those key players have not maintained that consistency or improved enough to take us onwards and upwards which indicates the coaching methodology is flawed or the players are'nt buying in.
You mean last season? I feel Joka had a great deal to do with the way we played. Moving cairney to #10, putting Stef in as box to box, rotating the front three were all things he changed that made us better.

But to each their own. If you put it down to coincidence then you can believe that.

Woolly Mammoth

The manager and the players have to take responsibility for this performance no excuses, three points down the drain. The worrying thing is that this is becoming a habit that needs to be arrested before the rot sets in. But indifferent team selection poor substitutions which are not particularly well timed, and mediocre game management is starting to become an issue.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 16, 2017, 06:32:36 PM
Well observed as if a team mirrors their manager standing on the touchline with hands in pockets and quiet as a mouse without any reaction or passion.
What is more worrying is that Jok looked clueless with no presence, which was the complete opposite to the passionate and big hearted Nigel Clough who had far less resources to use and play with. Yet his team turned Fulham over.

If he goes to West Spam,I hope not.
Then Cloughie Jnr is the boy to get in.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: PokerMatt on September 16, 2017, 06:43:33 PM

You mean last season? I feel Joka had a great deal to do with the way we played. Moving cairney to #10, putting Stef in as box to box, rotating the front three were all things he changed that made us better.

But to each their own. If you put it down to coincidence then you can believe that.

If I believed in coincidences I would never leave the house. I do believe in consistencies though and JOka has still not developed a style of play that makes us consistent as a team. Stef box to box was a joy to watch when he really fancied it but it was never a consistent and it was often shut down. Rotating the front three rarely worked until those odd occasions when everything clicked. How many times did this board bemoan the fact we could not hit a barn door, how Aluko or in his day Martin did not get involved or plea for a broad chested No.9?
We do not even try a 'ten minute model' these days where if we see a possible weakness we change tactics to test it, overload one flank, keep two up top, pepper shots at the Keeper or set up chances to get low pacey crosses in. A standard Championship back four will have Fonte and probably Ojo for breakfast but played to feet and in the box anything can happen. . . . . . but we don't. We just predictably pass the ball to death. Nigel Clough possibly said something along the lines of "hold the midfield and let them pass the ball to death" and I suspect that note appears on every other managers prep sheet nowadays.
You use the term 'making us better'. Respectfully I would say we have not progressed as required and it is not all down to one player being absent.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: ScalleysDad on September 16, 2017, 07:25:48 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on September 16, 2017, 06:43:33 PM

If I believed in coincidences I would never leave the house. I do believe in consistencies though and JOka has still not developed a style of play that makes us consistent as a team. Stef box to box was a joy to watch when he really fancied it but it was never a consistent and it was often shut down. Rotating the front three rarely worked until those odd occasions when everything clicked. How many times did this board bemoan the fact we could not hit a barn door, how Aluko or in his day Martin did not get involved or plea for a broad chested No.9?
We do not even try a 'ten minute model' these days where if we see a possible weakness we change tactics to test it, overload one flank, keep two up top, pepper shots at the Keeper or set up chances to get low pacey crosses in. A standard Championship back four will have Fonte and probably Ojo for breakfast but played to feet and in the box anything can happen. . . . . . but we don't. We just predictably pass the ball to death. Nigel Clough possibly said something along the lines of "hold the midfield and let them pass the ball to death" and I suspect that note appears on every other managers prep sheet nowadays.
You use the term 'making us better'. Respectfully I would say we have not progressed as required and it is not all down to one player being absent.

Correct.
And as you say other teams will let us have the ball as well,and then hit us...We never have a plan b.

Asotosyios

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 16, 2017, 07:12:32 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 16, 2017, 06:32:36 PM

If he goes to West Spam,I hope not.
Then Cloughie Jnr is the boy to get in.

The passionate and big hearted Nigel Clough is definitely the man we should get in to guide this team to glory. Hope we sack Slav tomorrow and bring Clough in straight away or we risk losing him to one of the big teams in the Premier League.

EastEndWhite

Some people on here are starting to sound like club owners who have lost their bottle.

S001.gif  S001.gif  S001.gif  S001.gif  S001.gif

The Rock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 16, 2017, 05:37:52 PM
Its head scratching but the formulae that Jok and Fulham FC use is not working, maybe Nigel Clough can advise Jok where he is going wrong, cause not only have we no plan B, we have no plan A.
Jok is not proactive enough, he mainly reacts. But if they are not his players, then maybe he should leave it to Kline and Khan to make a pigs ear of it. Cause so far they are doing a great job of fouling up.

Spot on. He's only the head coach. It's not his responsibility for choosing players that can't perform.

Oximoronal, isn't it?

Where's no goodboyo to tell Khan that we aren't the Jacksonville Jaguars and we need a running back. Isn't it?

The Rock

After reading everyone's thoughts, it's become clear.

Our lack of cohesion causes us to play up or down depending the competition. It's a problem with many non PL clubs I'd think. Sadly we are prone. "Play up Pompey" came from somewhere.

J.Perkins

Jokanovic is a stubborn coach, who fails to change things on and off the pitch.

He comes up with the same excuses every week, we need more fight, we need to take our chances more, the ref was poor. How about say how it's your fault we didn't win today?

The board have given him a squad capable of so much more. Look at the quality Burton have, we shouldn't even need to be in 2nd gear to beat them. Clough, as the rest of the league, have found Jokanovic out.

I honestly hope Birmingham make an approach for him. If he stays, shows he's committed and not ready to jump ship yet. If he goes, well, we lose a manager who has only won 3/10 games.

Matt10

If we convert our chances and win 4-2, do you still sack him?

Is this seriously the mentality we have? I thought it was just a cliche to just say "sack the coach" after a loss, I didn't realize we gave up that quickly?

Baffling.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Matt10 on September 17, 2017, 03:29:45 AM
If we convert our chances and win 4-2, do you still sack him?

Is this seriously the mentality we have? I thought it was just a cliche to just say "sack the coach" after a loss, I didn't realize we gave up that quickly?

Baffling.

I wish people would stop using that word "IF"
Point is we didn't convert them chances,and maybe that's down to the coach not playing with a striker.

dannyboi-ffc

For the amount of possession & pretty football that we play the amount of chances we create per game is pathetic.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

toshes mate

Is Jokanovic guilty of any wrongdoing apart from having a egotistical boss whose 'my team' is not quite the cracker he though it looked on the computer screen.  Of course there is still time for a comeback but surely all this business should have been done and dusted eighteen months ago, again one year ago, and again eight months ago by letting the coach at least have a say in all forms of team building.  Just thinking about the points you have to throw away before a team clicks is tragic but then soccer and football ain't that similar in any parts of the USA......