watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fonte

Started by FFC1987, September 29, 2017, 10:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

I know he's going to be a hot target for tonight but he's currently struggling in our set up. Thankfully he got that assist tonight but blimey, he's a frustrating player. Shows some lovely touches to add to our hold up play, then tries about 3 little back heels when he was in a good position to turn and drive into box or create something in final third. Missed a decent chance in first half, went on to fluff the penalty, I'm not sure we purchased an out and out goal scorer....He certainly has something to his game but he had a stinker tonight. Think we missed Kamara tonight, there were times when Fonte wasn't tracking the backline as much as he would of and Fonte's lack of pace (he isn't slow, but hes not Kamara quick) was something Kebano clearly benefitted from especially for the penalty. I'm concerned for the guy. Maybe he just needs a goal, some confidence and a run of games but Boro and tonight weren't great and he needs to get better for us to fight for top 6.

Out of interest, I'm really surprised Kebano didn't take the penalty, he scored one in pre season, maybe more? and made a comment that he'd like to be penalty taker for fulham this year, having just earned it, i'm surprised he didnt take.

Should probably add, really ruddy happy with the 3 points tonight though!

bigalffc

Just don't see Fonte as a striker, he was not involved enough today and looked like a square peg in a round hole
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on September 29, 2017, 10:39:24 PM
Didn't see the game tonight but Fonte was good v boro so If it was comparable to that, if just put it down to people not noticing the subtle stuff he does in build up play over 90 minutes and just judging him on goals scored (or lack therrof)

I went to the Boro match, and honestly, I thought he was really quite ineffective. Showed good touches and battled well against defenders twice his size, but the amount of balls that went into the box from Ryan and co. and he was nowhere to be seen was worrying. I'm concerned for the guy, I thought maybe, it was down to lack of service but he certainly swanders chances at the moment!

jarv

I was able to see the whole game, pirated, in USA. First time this season.  Fonte was poor and no matter what level you play at you NEVER give a penalty to a player who is playing poorly. 

Great result, thoroughly enjoyed watching the whole match and nothing can spoil my weekend now, 049:gif :wine:

Milo

Accurate assessment from Sky pundits actually.

He doesn't appear to be an out and out striker. More comfortable in a behind-the-striker position. However our set up last season didn't really have that in our formation ... only when Piazon would come on would we adopt that style of play. So perhaps Fonte might end up an impact sub? Seems a waste but doesn't quite fit our plan A..

Sky pundits seemed to think might be lacking confidence too so perhaps let's hold fire on judgement. Clear to me he is leaps and bounds above Ruiz at this stage - perhaps Arsenal roots has given him a head start but still..

Twig

Was there tonight and as a central striker Fonte flattered to deceive.  Looks to me as though he would be more comfortable playing just behind the main striker or out wid e or even in a two up front set up.  I just hope we don't find we have another Matlet situation.

FFC1987

Quote from: Milo on September 29, 2017, 10:45:45 PM
Accurate assessment from Sky pundits actually.

He doesn't appear to be an out and out striker. More comfortable in a behind-the-striker position. However our set up last season didn't really have that in our formation ... only when Piazon would come on would we adopt that style of play. So perhaps Fonte might end up an impact sub? Seems a waste but doesn't quite fit our plan A..

Sky pundits seemed to think might be lacking confidence too so perhaps let's hold fire on judgement. Clear to me he is leaps and bounds above Ruiz at this stage - perhaps Arsenal roots has given him a head start but still..

Its kind of what I was saying with the whole 'he's struggling in our set up'. Its what I'm kind of seeing. We're desperate for a poacher goal scorer but I'm not sure hes fitting that bill. If the guy gets confidence and can finish, in our side, theres absolutely no reason he can't change his style (Maybe when Cairneys back) and just bang the goals in and be an out and out striker. I'm in no way writing him off, but it's a concern I've witnessed over the last few games.

hovewhite

different animal to AK up front,think he needs time as he is a capable player and hope he proves it.

ffc73

I like him. Technically good & works hard for the team.

Problem is, tonight he had opportunities to do what a no9 should be doing. Score goals. Fluffed those & the penalty was possibly the worse miss of all the ones we have missed in the last year and a bit

Good on him for moments later setting up the second goal.

Mince n Tatties

Terrible performance I'm afraid,and the  6 inch run up for the penalty...Looked like an £8 player tonight and not £8 million...Still he did set up Stefan so I'll leave it at that.

bill taylors apprentice

Good player

A touch player not a battering ram.

Give the guy a break

Riverside

3 games in 6 days for a player coming back from an injury and we hammer him [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benny

He'll come good - you can see he is class same as AK47 just needs games under his belt

Mince n Tatties

Not saying he is a bad player,just his performance tonight,it was poor..As for the penalty enough said.

YoungsBitter

His movement is good and he tries to link play - problem was when he does that its tough to then get on the end of balls across the 6 yard box which happened a couple of time.
Joka wanted him to take the penalty ""It's only one penalty that we missed this season," Jokanović said. "It's the first time we shoot and the first time we missed.
"I cannot explain it. I ordered that Rui take it in this situation. I expect we'll be successful next time. He can take another one."
So that burden is down to the manager....
Quark, strangeness and charm

Barrett487

I can't help thinking that, because of the way we've played him, he's a replacement for Cairney when we sell him.

Lighthouse

The string of penalty misses going back to last season is a disgrace. Fonte is not an out and out striker whatever some would have us believe. But after the ridiculous run of games. Yet another long injury tonight. We can hardly be too critical of Fonte or the team.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

howitis

Have to agree with M & T, didn't look like he had the credentials when we paid all that money for him and has looked extremely poor apart from a good finish at Ipswich.
Apart from the penalty miss and the lack of goal scoring instinct/positioning I have seen some lazy play and a general lack of bite. Two 50/50 balls in particular vs Middlesbrough in offensive positions really worries me. The Braga chairman called him his lion, I think he really meant cash cow !!!!

FFC1987

Not sure why people are saying 'give the guy a break', the criticism has been fair and quite critical, whilst acknowledging he does, in fact show glimpses of a good player. Nothing unfair, nothing writing him off, fair all round.

Madman Maddle

AK47 is our only true striker. Perfect lone striker in our system. He bothers the defense all game long, very physical and unlike Fonte he is actually in the box when crosses come in!

Fonte is a good player in his own right, but looks more suited as a deep lying striker in a 2 striker system. He is not built to lead the line as we've seen tonight. At Forest he looked lost, couldn't retain posession or win the ball for us - not surprising though since he is no central midfielder. Just seems like a bad fit in Jokane's system. His best role would be on the wing where he created the assist for Johansen.

Hopefully AK47 is fully fit after the break to be our main striker. Fonte can still contribute wherever Jokane needs him. In January the club must get the monkey off their back and buy at least one if not two out and out strikers in the mold of Kamara, but with more experience.