watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2017/18

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 27, 2017, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

The word Silly is very apt for those who want us to now sell Cairney for a mere £15 mil.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Fulham76

Quote from: Tooting legend on January 15, 2018, 08:37:08 PM
I would sell for £15 million if true. Last season he was great injury free. This season a dodgy knee that's kept him out quite a lot of the season. Use the money on a decent striker we still have a great midfield.

You're assuming Khan would allow us to use that £15m to re-invest... In reality that money would be swallowed up somewhere/by someone & we'd be without one of our best players & captain & still sniffing around the lower European leagues & loan market. That's assuming our recruitment people are doing any sniffing at all - certainly doesn't fell like it!

Twig

Report in Mail linking us with MU loanee at Leeds, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, a young LB.  apparently his loans to Leeds and Wolves have gone poorly, that's the spirit what an ambitious transfer target.

f321ffc

According to Lucas Piazon on Twitter Madle has gone.
"Last meal with my man mm15 before he goes 💔 it is been a pleasure brother"
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Woolly Mammoth

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson is no mug, we cannot afford to turn our noses up at his kind of talent, despite what went on at Wolves and Leeds.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JoelH5

So we're now three players down. Madl, Graham and Soares. Hopefully it's to release wages for a good striker.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 15, 2018, 10:55:47 PM
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson is no mug, we cannot afford to turn our noses up at his kind of talent, despite what went on at Wolves and Leeds.

Can't say I know much about him, but in Aug 2016 he joined Wolves and only got 5 games (I think) before they sent him back to M U. In Aug 2017 he joins Leeds and has had limited game time and now they, allegedly, want rid. So if he's no mug what's the problem? Do you know any more?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on January 16, 2018, 12:01:26 AM

Can't say I know much about him, but in Aug 2016 he joined Wolves and only got 5 games (I think) before they sent him back to M U. In Aug 2017 he joins Leeds and has had limited game time and now they, allegedly, want rid. So if he's no mug what's the problem? Do you know any more?

There is no problem that cannot be overcome, as he would not have been on Manchester United's books since he was six.
He has played a couple of times in their first team, and represented England at u/20, u/19, u/17, and u/16 level. He was in and around the Wolves first team regularly until Paul Lambert came along, who it appears did not fancy him. So he was phased out.
As for Leeds it obviously did not work out for one reason or another.
He is a 6ft plus defender and an orthodox left back, with a decent future if he plays his cards right. 

Never forget your Roots.

Asotosyios

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 16, 2018, 12:25:18 AM
Quote from: Twig on January 16, 2018, 12:01:26 AM

There is no problem that cannot be overcome, as he would not have been on Manchester United's books since he was six.
He has played a couple of times in their first team, and represented England at u/20, u/19, u/17, and u/16 level. He was in and around the Wolves first team regularly until Paul Lambert came along, who it appears did not fancy him. So he was phased out.
As for Leeds it obviously did not work out for one reason or another.
He is a 6ft plus defender and an orthodox left back, with a decent future if he plays his cards right. 

I haven't seen a lot of him the last 2 years and only remember him from his United games when Van Gaal was the manager. No idea why it didn't work out at Wolves and Leeds; perhaps he's not good enough or perhaps their tactics didn't suit his style or perhaps the managers didn't like what they saw in training. As Woolly said, he is a 6ft defender that can play as LB and CB, fast, likes to attack and good with the ball on his feet - sounds like a Jokanovic-made full-back.

Regardless of Borthwick-Jackson, these are the kind of players that we should always be interested in buying. Young enough with a lot to prove and, if everything goes well, that they can make us some money in the transfer market after a few years. Also, having grown in the environment of a big club, they will be comfortable with the ball on their feet and playing possession football, which suits our current style just fine.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Mince n Tatties

The Moose.....Cardiff have won chase  for Grabban,Reading want Martin,and Leeds could be set with another bid for Marriott... Thats 3 down then by the look of it,if they happen.

DevonFFC

Madl is off as Piazon has put on Twitter last meal with MM before he leaves and a photo of them

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 16, 2018, 07:32:04 AM
The Moose.....Cardiff have won chase  for Grabban,Reading want Martin,and Leeds could be set with another bid for Marriott... Thats 3 down then by the look of it,if they happen.

There's a surprise, where are our recruitment dudes, still in America ?

Never forget your Roots.

David I

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 16, 2018, 08:45:25 AM

Busy "doing business early" and "doing everything they can to get us promotion"? Oh wait......

toshes mate

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 16, 2018, 08:45:25 AM
On holiday - back in February....

Marcel_Gecov

So other than Grabban (who let's be honest, if we get promoted will be binned off in the summer anyway), nothing changes...Though I am seeing reports that Bristol City might get him which suggests that Cardiff havent won the chase... yet...

Holders

Quote from: JoelH5 on January 15, 2018, 11:02:04 PM
So we're now three players down. Madl, Graham and Soares.

Maybe he's living up to his promise and these are the deals that AM said we'd do early.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

davew

I just hope we have enough admin staff to cope with the paperwork on the late surge of signings on the 30th/31st January!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Holders on January 16, 2018, 10:54:51 AM

Maybe he's living up to his promise and these are the deals that AM said we'd do early.

Probably want to make sure they can find homes for these players who aren't getting a look in before bringing in more and then finding out we have an over-bloated squad of unhappy players. Seems sensible to me. These players aren't getting a look in and nobody can say we are weakening our matchday squad by clearing out appendages.

hovewhite

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on January 16, 2018, 11:21:01 AM
Quote from: Holders on January 16, 2018, 10:54:51 AM

Probably want to make sure they can find homes for these players who aren't getting a look in before bringing in more and then finding out we have an over-bloated squad of unhappy players. Seems sensible to me. These players aren't getting a look in and nobody can say we are weakening our matchday squad by clearing out appendages.
Those 3 players wouldn't play anyway so no real loss.