The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2017/18

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 27, 2017, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peaty

Quote from: MJG on January 19, 2018, 02:52:37 PM
Quote from: filham on January 19, 2018, 12:00:07 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on January 18, 2018, 05:50:44 PM
Quote from: grandad on January 18, 2018, 05:28:24 PM
Reference to Crouch. We can´t cross a ball & we don´t play hoof ball so what use would he be to us. Wouldn´t want us to change our style just to justify having Crouch.

Exactly. Player suggestions that don't match our style does not make sense.
Well I think that it would be nice to have the option to switch to that style when we are not breaking down a defence. However Jocanovic never wants to do that, he persists in the slow short passing game right up to the final whistle. Jocanovic would most probably consider it a waste of bench space having Carol or Crooks in the squad.

Well to be fair to Joka in the last 20 minutes of games we are the top goalscorers in the championship and in last ten minutes joint 3rd best. So could be argued we are playing exactly the right way and just need to have faith in the style and process that wears teams down.

@MJG how does this compare with last year? I seem to recall we did a lot of damage to opposing teams last season at the end of the second half. How does it match up, last season versus this?

RP24

Afobe of Bournemouth has been told he can leave but they want to recoop the £10m they spent on him. Anyone else think he'd be a good shout? At 6 foot and with pace I think he'd tick all the boxes.

Brawn

Quote from: peaty on January 19, 2018, 11:27:43 PM
Reference to Crouch. We can´t cross a ball & we don´t play hoof ball so what use would he be to us. Wouldn´t want us to change our style just to justify having Crouch.

Well I think that it would be nice to have the option to switch to that style when we are not breaking down a defence. However Jocanovic never wants to do that, he persists in the slow short passing game right up to the final whistle. Jocanovic would most probably consider it a waste of bench space having Carol or Crooks in the squad.

Well to be fair to Joka in the last 20 minutes of games we are the top goalscorers in the championship and in last ten minutes joint 3rd best. So could be argued we are playing exactly the right way and just need to have faith in the style and process that wears teams down.

@MJG how does this compare with last year? I seem to recall we did a lot of damage to opposing teams last season at the end of the second half. How does it match up, last season versus this?

I may not be MJG, but I can certainly give you the answer (albeit I record the data in 15-min blocks as per Football Manager).

After 27 games last season (i.e. at the same stage), we had scored 9 in the last 15 minutes (20% of all of our goals).
After 46 games last season, we had scored 17 in the last 15 minutes (20% of all our goals). After the play-offs, this stays at 20%.
This season, after 27 games, we have scored 12 in the last 15 minutes; 30% of all of our goals.

Compared to the full season (inc. play-offs):

1st-15th: 7.5% (+1.7% on last year).
16th-30th: 12.5% (-1.5%)
31st-HT: 17.5% (-5.8%)
46th-60th: 10.0% (-8.6%)
61st-75th: 22.5% (+3.9%)
76th-FT: 30.0% (+10.2%)

Fulham Tup North

[/quote]

I may not be MJG, but I can certainly give you the answer (albeit I record the data in 15-min blocks as per Football Manager).

After 27 games last season (i.e. at the same stage), we had scored 9 in the last 15 minutes (20% of all of our goals).
After 46 games last season, we had scored 17 in the last 15 minutes (20% of all our goals). After the play-offs, this stays at 20%.
This season, after 27 games, we have scored 12 in the last 15 minutes; 30% of all of our goals.

[/quote]

Very interesting to see it like this.
Over + 10% in the final 15 mins! Stronger as the game goes on, shows our fitness levels are very good!
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

grandad

Quite a number of Prem clubs offering silly money for 30YO plus players. Now Palace have offered £9.75 for Eder, 31, who has only scores 1 goal in 19 this season.
Where there's a will there's a wife

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Robertprocter1 on January 20, 2018, 07:44:58 AM
Afobe of Bournemouth has been told he can leave but they want to recoop the £10m they spent on him. Anyone else think he'd be a good shout? At 6 foot and with pace I think he'd tick all the boxes.

Good call that, was a massive handful at Wolves, strong & quick & did his apprenticeship at Arsenal so guess hes just not pace & brawn?

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on January 20, 2018, 08:58:58 AM

Good call that, was a massive handful at Wolves, strong & quick & did his apprenticeship at Arsenal so guess hes just not pace & brawn?

That's not a bad shout actually, if you could get him on loan with a potential deal at the end.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Brawn on January 20, 2018, 07:57:53 AM
Quote from: peaty on January 19, 2018, 11:27:43 PM

Very interesting. Like most of us I have been crying out for a plan B but these statistics actually suggest Jokanovic is right to stick to his preferred tactics until the final whistle. This season we've apparently been "found out" but it looks like the high pressure tactics used to neutralize us has one serious flaw: It can't be done for 90 minutes!

RP24

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on January 20, 2018, 09:35:34 AM
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on January 20, 2018, 08:58:58 AM

That's not a bad shout actually, if you could get him on loan with a potential deal at the end.

Let's just hope that our scouting team reads the bbc gossip column and this forum!!! Think he would be a fantastic addition

Asotosyios

Report: swap deal for high-scoring Championship midfielder in exchange of Newcastle striker

According to the Northern Echo, Newcastle United could suggest a swap deal with Fulham for their midfielder Tom Cairney and Toons striker Dwight Gayle. A similar deal was reported on summer transfer deadline day, and it looks like it could finally materialize this time around.

The Championship outfit want to renew their interest in Gayle after failing to land him last summer, while they are also open to sanctioning a £20million sales of Cairney. With West Ham keen on Jonjo Shelvey, securing the signature of the Fulham man means Newcastle will be free to cash in on the £15million-rated England international.

Cairney brings goals and assists to the table – something Shelvey has struggled with in the Premier League this term. The 27-year-old Scotland international has scored 21 league goals for the London club since arriving in 2015-16, 16 more than the Toons man has managed within the same period. Getting a quality striker to replace the misfiring Gayle from the cash realized from Shelvey's sales, and adding a goalscoring midfielder like Cairney to the squad will be perfect business done for Newcastle this window.

http://futnsoccer.com/2018/01/20/reported-swap-deal-between-21-goal-centre-midfielder-and-newcastle-star-would-be-bargain-of-the-window-for-the-toons-pppht/

Asotosyios

Fulham keen to send young midfielder out on loan

Fulham are looking to loan out youngster Mattias Kait this month.

The Estonia international has impressed for the Whites' Under-23 side and the club want him to gain first-team experience. League clubs have been made aware that midfielder Kait, 19, is available.

He is under contract at Craven Cottage until 2019.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-keen-send-young-midfielder-loan

Brawn

I like Kait a lot more than most. Would like him to stay at the club as I think he would be a good fit if we have an injury pandemic in centre midfield.

Riverside

Quote from: Asotosyios on January 20, 2018, 10:01:05 AM
Fulham keen to send young midfielder out on loan

Fulham are looking to loan out youngster Mattias Kait this month.

The Estonia international has impressed for the Whites' Under-23 side and the club want him to gain first-team experience. League clubs have been made aware that midfielder Kait, 19, is available.

He is under contract at Craven Cottage until 2019.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-keen-send-young-midfielder-loan

Though already on a contract until 2019 I hope that if he goes out on loan he goes with a contract extension .
Kait I think is one who will make it .
12 full international caps already - even if it is Estonia .

Mince n Tatties

Was told at the game today,don't know if its pie in the sky or what,but the chap I've spoken to a few times at games said we've had 2 bids for Hughill of Preston turned down.
Haven't seen anything from club or rumours pages on this at all,but I suppose we don't get to know about every bid we make.

Twig

Quote from: Asotosyios on January 20, 2018, 09:57:40 AM
Report: swap deal for high-scoring Championship midfielder in exchange of Newcastle striker

According to the Northern Echo, Newcastle United could suggest a swap deal with Fulham for their midfielder Tom Cairney and Toons striker Dwight Gayle. A similar deal was reported on summer transfer deadline day, and it looks like it could finally materialize this time around.

The Championship outfit want to renew their interest in Gayle after failing to land him last summer, while they are also open to sanctioning a £20million sales of Cairney. With West Ham keen on Jonjo Shelvey, securing the signature of the Fulham man means Newcastle will be free to cash in on the £15million-rated England international.

Cairney brings goals and assists to the table – something Shelvey has struggled with in the Premier League this term. The 27-year-old Scotland international has scored 21 league goals for the London club since arriving in 2015-16, 16 more than the Toons man has managed within the same period. Getting a quality striker to replace the misfiring Gayle from the cash realized from Shelvey's sales, and adding a goalscoring midfielder like Cairney to the squad will be perfect business done for Newcastle this window.

http://futnsoccer.com/2018/01/20/reported-swap-deal-between-21-goal-centre-midfielder-and-newcastle-star-would-be-bargain-of-the-window-for-the-toons-pppht/

Seriously? no thanks.

the nutflush

Selling Cairney would be worse than selling Sess.  No way. 

Jonaldiniho 88

Neither cairney or sess are leaving.  Put your house on it. I think the club is more likely to accept a deal than the players. They dont want to go. At least not until the end of the season. 

filham

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 20, 2018, 08:18:04 PM
Was told at the game today,don't know if its pie in the sky or what,but the chap I've spoken to a few times at games said we've had 2 bids for Hughill of Preston turned down.
Haven't seen anything from club or rumours pages on this at all,but I suppose we don't get to know about every bid we make.
We would do well to prise Hugill away from Preston. Keep in touch with your source, he could be more reliable than all the speculative media people who seem to do a lot of recycling of old speculative material..

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on January 21, 2018, 01:24:12 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 20, 2018, 08:18:04 PM
We would do well to prise Hugill away from Preston. Keep in touch with your source, he could be more reliable than all the speculative media people who seem to do a lot of recycling of old speculative material..

Jordan Hugill is the best chance we have of recruiting a decent forward before the Window closes.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

EJL

Jordan Hugill has as many league goals as Fonte. Just saying.