more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season January Transfer Thread 2017/18

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 27, 2017, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabby

Quote from: mrmicawbers on January 28, 2018, 07:20:51 PM
Ryan Woods at Brentford.According to a QPR site Bizarrely.

Which one? The ones I checked are currently in meltdown as we're supposedly signing Freeman.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 28, 2018, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: MJG on January 28, 2018, 04:38:49 PM
Nick Powell is forever going to be that promising youngster who is the next big thing, but before you know it he will be 29 having gone from championship to L1 and back again every few years and in the end nothing more than bog standard midfielder.

Disagree

On what grounds? He's achieved nothing.

@jolslover

Ryan Woods would be a top signing. Similar player to Norwood.
STH H3

Tabby

Quote from: Statto on January 28, 2018, 10:41:24 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on January 28, 2018, 09:08:10 PM

Not heard much about him myself but if this is another example of Brentford signing a gem from the English lower leagues, following on from Andre Gray, Scott Hogan... you have to say they're doing something right there

They use stats. Lots and lots of stats.

Hard to believe given the reaction to it on this board.

Snibbo

Quote from: Tabby on January 28, 2018, 11:11:40 PM

Not heard much about him myself but if this is another example of Brentford signing a gem from the English lower leagues, following on from Andre Gray, Scott Hogan... you have to say they're doing something right there

:plus one:

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Tabby on January 28, 2018, 11:11:40 PM

Brentford isn't using Tony Khan's stats company though. They must be using something that actually works for English football. I remember the press reporting that Kline wouldn't let us sign lower league player because our stats model only had data for the top two divisions in English football. Kline is history but we are still stuck with Tony Khan's company. Presumably using the same data and algorithms.

Snibbo

All conjecture.

Our transfer business post-stats has been better than pre-stats. We had some stinkers pre-stats - Mitroglou.

We've done some great business since stats - Malone, Aluko, Kebano, Ayite, Johansen.

Mince n Tatties

George Williams(forgotten man)off to St Johnstone.

aaronmcguigan

I'm sure the data is out there for every player in every league. Things like that, pass completion, key passes, shots, dribbles etc are readily available on indepth betting apps, things like soccerbase and so on, so that depth is free and I'm sure if you can invest to send someone to Belgium to scout a Kebano, we can send a few scouts or computers out to analyse a few matches in the lower leagues.

I don't see why , in the pursuit of success, efficiency and development that we ignore certain leagues, certain ages etc. It doesn't hold any logic , and potentially only works if you have THEE best academy in terms of recruitment and results,  in the country, where you can have confidence that the best young players in the country have already been seen and scouted at an earlier level

Riverside

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 29, 2018, 06:21:50 AM

Loan or sold ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DevonFFC

KJS

MrD1879

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 29, 2018, 06:21:50 AM

Unfortunately the calibre of the club he is going to shows how far his stock has fallen. Real shame as thought and hoped he would make it

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on January 29, 2018, 06:46:43 AM
Quote from: Snibbo on January 29, 2018, 04:24:56 AM
Our transfer business post-stats has been better than pre-stats.

Sorry but you cannot just say that based on mitroglou.

If you want to propose a definition or measure of each player's relative "success" at the club, balance that against the fee paid for them, then apply it to a broad dataset (eg last 5 or 10 seasons), and then after all that you can demonstrate a higher success rate in the last 2 seasons since we started using stats, then ok. But personally I do not think that analysis would show any improvement, potentially the opposite it fact.

I thought we only started using Moneyball once we were relegated? And our first signing with moneyball was Madl??
STH H3

MJG

If you want to propose a definition or measure of each player's relative "success" at the club, balance that against the fee paid for them, then apply it to a broad dataset (eg last 5 or 10 seasons), and then after all that you can demonstrate a higher success rate in the last 2 seasons since we started using stats, then ok. But personally I do not think that analysis would show any improvement, potentially the opposite it fact.
How shall we do that?  I posted the summer transfers of 2008 and about 7 out of 13 made it in one way or another.

Should it be on fee recouped? Games played?
if we come up with something to compare last two seasons with previous 7 or 8 then we could see if its any different or about the same.
Just the views of a long term fan

grandad

WBA to bid £18 mil for Deeney. At 29 this is surely complete madness.
Where there's a will there's a wife

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: grandad on January 29, 2018, 08:48:41 AM
WBA to bid £18 mil for Deeney. At 29 this is surely complete madness.

Not if he helps keep them up, small change to stay in the premier league in this day & age

Holders

Look what he's done now he's recovered from injury. There was nothing wrong with the player's ability.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

No objection to stats being used to locate good players and as a tool to be used by the coach as long as the final decision on which player to sign remains with the manager (Head Coach) .

Twig

All conjecture.

Our transfer business post-stats has been better than pre-stats. We had some stinkers pre-stats - Mitroglou.

We've done some great business since stats - Malone, Aluko, Kebano, Ayite, Johansen.

We aren't "post stats" just because Kline left. We have an internally promoted head of our stats dept.  There has been a shift of power but, quite rightly, we still use stats (we'd be insane not to).